• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doffen

No seriously guys, what am I doing wrong?

pic_A6jv_m.jpg

The price is now back to normal :/

Quote for new page:

The latest thrilling installment arrives...

How to save Xbox games for Windows Phone: Part 4

Please check it out, comment, and tweet to your favorite Microsoft employees!

http://winsupersite.com/mobile-devices/bad-news-windows-phone-fans-google-now-real-deal

I know we all hate Paul, but I think he has a point here. Microsoft is not just letting people eating their lunch, now Goggle is taking their deserts. WP8 was a huge disappointment ... instead of advancing three screens and cloud vision we got more fragmented. The two new features are Kid's Corner and Room (cool idea but again fail in execution since it's only fully functioning with WP8).

edit: I am not saying Google Now! is the greatest thing but it clearly show that they are adapting and taking the best of other OS and implementing them.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I think Google Now is interesting for sure, I like where its heading aside from being creepy. You have to remember that Google moves at a rapid pace cause many phones/devices are left behind. The only Android phones worth owning are the Nexus ones, and even those are intentionally crippled with limited storage space. Samsung arguably makes the best hardware but their software is ugly and you'd have to put a custom rom on it if you want to keep up with the innovations by Google. Having said that, at least Google doesn't tie all their advances to firmware upgrades like MS, so you can get component updates without necessarily needing an Android update.

Also, I don't know if I'm the only one that didn't realize this, but: the autocorrect puts periods, question marks etc. in the right spot automatically. I would be annoyed cause I thought you had to hit the backspace button after an autocorrect to put the period in the right spot since the software automatically skips a space after correcting.

edit: also, I'm not surprised that Paul would call out MS like that, he does that all the time. I was surprised when brettison called him a MS shill the other day on Twitter. Paul is a lot of things, but I don't think shill is one of them.

PG2G

Nokia rumored to join Apple in dumping Samsung as a supplier

"The 'firewall' between component sales and smartphones [at Samsung]," individual familiar with Nokia's component orders from Samsung states, is "about as sturdy as a pile of kimchi."

The individual stated that Samsung has "a record of getting orders for next-gen components, then canceling the orders. And then they show up in a Samsung phone. When you see a Samsung 'bendy' OLED phone as you surely will, you are looking at something that was stolen from Nokia."

Guess we know what Nokia is working on, lol

kehs

Banned
Ah, cool. Guess I wasn't paying attention back then. Samsung showed theirs off at CES right?

Yeah, I think they only got into in the past year or so, at least publicly.

Which could align with what Nokia is implying about them taking R&D from orders from components and running away with it.

Sordid

Tell me this. Did you get any confirmation that your shell had been ordered? I filled in the online form but never got an email or anything to say they were on it.

I can't even claim mine, says my IMEI is invalid :/ I'll have to give them a phone.

The 620 is an excellent wee phone, seems to run a lot faster than the Lumia 800. Managed to debrand it to get rid of the O2 splash screen/apps, just waiting (im)patiently for my unlock code to arrive now.

Edit: I can't find the free Sonic CD or Super Monkey Ball from a few pages back on the WP8 marketplace and it wants me to pay for Angry Birds Space + Star Wars again (because they have achievements while the WP7 apps don't?). Other than that just about everything is there so far.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I can't even claim mine, says my IMEI is invalid :/ I'll have to give them a phone.

The 620 is an excellent wee phone, seems to run a lot faster than the Lumia 800. Managed to debrand it to get rid of the O2 splash screen/apps, just waiting (im)patiently for my unlock code to arrive now.

Edit: I can't find the free Sonic CD or Super Monkey Ball from a few pages back on the WP8 marketplace and it wants me to pay for Angry Birds Space + Star Wars again (because they have achievements while the WP7 apps don't?). Other than that just about everything is there so far.

Yeah Sonic CD and SMB for free got removed pretty quick and the Angry Birds titles are different unfortunately.

Anybody have experience with the Lumia 810 on t-mobile?

Right now it is free with a 2 year so I'm thinking about doing that for myself and my wife.

Nope, neither did my gf.

I filled in the form and it seemed to submit fine. Because I'm impatient and didn't get confirmation I decided to try again. Mainly because the dates on the flyer they give you and the dates on the website, before it launched fully, were different. When I tried again it said the IMEI was invalid, but I assumed that was because I had already done it. I'm going to assume it has submitted fine.

I'm just busting for that sweet cyan.

This would be such a pain in the ass.

kharma45

I filled in the form and it seemed to submit fine. Because I'm impatient and didn't get confirmation I decided to try again. Mainly because the dates on the flyer they give you and the dates on the website, before it launched fully, were different. When I tried again it said the IMEI was invalid, but I assumed that was because I had already done it. I'm going to assume it has submitted fine.

I know you have to wait until 7 days after whatever your purchase date was before they send it out, and the delivery time could be up to 28 days according to the flyer.

Sordid

Mine said invalid the first time as well :( it's the Cyan I'm after too, I'm hoping to get in before they all get claimed!

After installing all of my apps I have 300 MB free, I'm losing 1.9GB to 'system' and 1.3Gb to 'other'. Looks like I'm going to have to cull some games.

Raide

Just finished work and arrived home to my lovely new 620! Also having the same IMEI number issues but I have not looked too much into it. Will unbox and have a play shortly! I must say, O2 were super quick!

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Developer of Baconit here:

As far as I understand from being a developer, the “other” section is used for apps and the app storage as you guys have suggested. However, when you delete an app the entire app and its files are deleted from the phone including all cache and settings files. What you are seeing is that even though the system removes all of the data, it can’t reclaim all of the previously allocated room from the app as free space. I believe that the next time you install an app it will install into the space that was left from the old app and not add to “other” space unless the new app is larger than the old app.

That said, I think they only way to completely clear the “other” section is to factory reset your phone. :(

Again, this is just my understanding from what I have seen being a dev. :)

Hope this gets fixed.

TTOOLL

I've waited so much for the 920 and now I can finally buy it. However, the only color available is black and the biggest problem is actually the marketplace. The Brazilian store is beyond terrible, I can't access most apps that are available in the US for example. You complain WP has less games than Android and iOS, but it is worse here. Even Angry Birds Star Wars is not available for us ;)

It's a shame because when I bought my 710 some months ago I was expecting the store to get better, but it is still the same. Microsoft marketing is non existent here.

I'm sad ='( and going Android. Will buy the Xperia ZL (ZQ in Brazil)

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
It's similar on my gf's 620 too, and from what I remember when I had the 920 it was worryingly high as well.

I wonder if there's a specific app or apps that cause it to grow like that. I remember my previous phone having a large "other" section, so I'm surprised its only half a gig on my 920.

Also:
pic_A6lS_s.jpg

That's supposed to be kid's corner. Why in the world would it ask for a password to kid's corner? Am I supposed to give my kid my password too? Doesn't that defeat the purpose of kids corner?

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Wonder if it is Audible or Nokia Music?

edit: deleted both, but they only gave minor reductions to app storage and other storage.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Wonder if it is Audible or Nokia Music?

edit: deleted both, but they only gave minor reductions to app storage and other storage.

According to the dev you quoted, you wouldn't see the increased storage until other apps write over the space. So maybe try installing large games and see if that works. I have Nokia music, but I deleted audible.

It makes me madsad to think about all the time, money, and effort they put into such a niche feature as Kid's Corner. It's like every focus group was full of parents.

I want to know what happens with media on Whatsapp.

On Android you could only view an image if you downloaded it. On WP8 you can view them but they don't appear in your albums etc unless you choose to save them. When I view an image for example, I can scroll through all the previous ones I viewed. So presumably these are being stored on my phone somewhere. That's not to great if they're just going to build up and I can't scrub them.

ElNino

Sounds like a problem on all devices. Paging Lastflowers, please pass this on to the WP team.

I really don't want to do a factory reset.
I can confirm this on my 900 as well as I recently did a factory reset to fix my Internet Sharing issue (since Rogers screwed up my OS/Firmware update). Before the reset my free space was around 2.15GB and now it is 5.68GB. Granted, I have a few less apps installed but certainly not 3.5GB worth. Before doing the reset I had installed and deleted plenty of apps/games so that is likely where the difference came from.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
According to the dev you quoted, you wouldn't see the increased storage until other apps write over the space. So maybe try installing large games and see if that works. I have Nokia music, but I deleted audible.

app storage : other storage 5.09 : 6.10
Install Gun Bro's (187MB) 5.29, 6.29
- uninstall GBs 5.09, 6.29
Install Doom & Destiney (87MB) 5.45??, 6.31
- uninstall D&D 5.09, 6.29

Jadedx

Banned
I've got a question for you guys, I just recently switched over from a Dell venue pro to a shiny new Lumia 920, everything seems much better except for the music player. All my music had the correct metadata on covers but when I transferred the music onto the 920 everything was messed up. I tried using the mpa tool app from marketplace but that does not fix the issue. I read online that syncing the phone's music with windows media player would work but I don't seem to be doing it right because it just does the same thing. Can someone help me on this?

Another quick question, does anyone know the name and/or ETA of the next update after portico?

It makes me madsad to think about all the time, money, and effort they put into such a niche feature as Kid's Corner. It's like every focus group was full of parents.

I use Kids Corner as a games launcher. No games on my start screen, but them all on kids corner. It removes accidental bing button presses ;).

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
app storage : other storage 5.09 : 6.10
Install Gun Bro's (187MB) 5.29, 6.29
- uninstall GBs 5.09, 6.29
Install Doom & Destiney (87MB) 5.45??, 6.31
- uninstall D&D 5.09, 6.29

lol, so we've just made things worse.

edit:

just in case anyone thought I was bs'ing.

pic_A6Me_s.jpg

hadareud

The Translator
There's definitely a bug.

I have music randomly disappearing all the time that is really still there but doesn't show up (when I go to the store it says in collection, buy).

Same with some audiobooks on audible.

And all that stuff then is "other".

I don't want to do a reset, but I guess that's the only option.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom