• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.

hadareud

The Translator
So having said that I wouldn't want to reset, I did it anyway.

The bloody cogs have been turning for a good 40 minutes now.

I've killed my phone, haven't I.

Ragus

Banned
After turning on the phone today, tiles with letters had appeared on the app list menu. Umm, how did that happen? I know that I hadn't toogled them on.

Don't saved games get backed up with everything else? I need to start checking things more thoroughly :lol

No it doesn't. According to my brother game save data do not get back up on iOS either unless its cloud save or you jailbreak it. So apparently it's not unique to Windows Phone, but Microsoft could have make it so it's better than competitor but nope they always think that being just as good is good enough. They are leading in gaming as far as console you would think they would be more progressive, iOS even implement achievements, friend lists ...

derFeef

Is this the new smaller Lumia?

lumiamystery_large.jpg

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Suddenly, my google email comes in duplicates, so every time I get a new email, it comes in twice. I have conversation view on so it shows two emails for every new email I get. Really annoying. How do I get rid of that?

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Had that issue. I turned of conversation view.

Well that sucks. It must be a bug, I wonder what causes it? For me, it happened after I went looking at some other folders besides inbox searching for a message. All of a sudden I started getting double emails. Dammit.

Korey

Skype beta testing new Video Messages feature, leaves out Windows Phone

http://wmpoweruser.com/skype-launch...ery-platform-except-windows-really-microsoft/

This week Skype has been rolling out a beta of a feature called Video Messages to users. Basically you can send video messages to contacts that are up to three minutes in length. The internet has had hints of this feature since early December, so you’re stoked to try it out on your Windows Phone right? Nope. No love from Skype for any Windows users – desktop or phone.

In a bizarre move by a Microsoft-owned Skype, Video Messages is initially only available for iOS, Android, and Mac users. That’s right, there isn’t a way for you to create or playback Video Messages from the Skype client for Windows Phone or Windows 8. You can receive those messages, but it’s just a link to play it back online.

So what do people use for podcasts? Giant Bomb was one of two podcasts I listen to that are actually included in the WP store, and as of this week even Giant Bomb is no longer included in the store. I tried Podcasts! before, and found it functioned pretty poorly. It would often drop my place in a podcast, and be off by 30 minutes or more when I'd go back to a podcast I'd gotten halfway through.

So what do people use for podcasts? Giant Bomb was one of two podcasts I listen to that are actually included in the WP store, and as of this week even Giant Bomb is no longer included in the store. I tried Podcasts! before, and found it functioned pretty poorly. It would often drop my place in a podcast, and be off by 30 minutes or more when I'd go back to a podcast I'd gotten halfway through.

Honestly, I haven't found ANY good solution. I tried PODCASTS! but had similar issues as you. I'm trying Podcatcher now, but sometimes (rarely :\) it wants to remember the last position and sometimes it doesn't. I also can't figure out how to mark podcasts as listened to--it lists a bunch in there that I have listened to already.

I really wish someone would make a podcasts app that lets you find/subscribe to podcasts and then allow the device to recognize it as an actual podcast and take over from there. I'd pay for an app that does that, until MS gets its shit straight.

giga

Leaves out any current MS OS, more like.

I think I'm starting to see how Brot turned into what he is today. Can't like MS products without turning into a cynic.
You guys are impossible. Microsoft can't support the lowest common denominator. Asking for WP support is like asking them to support Ubuntu. Pointless costs with no return. It's time to face the music. Y'all are this era's Linux.

You guys are impossible. Microsoft can't support the lowest common denominator. Asking for WP support is like asking them to support Ubuntu. Pointless costs with no return. It's time to face the music. Y'all are this era's Linux.

Not bad, but apparently you missed the part where all Microsoft platforms were left out. Windows, Windows 8 and Windows Phone.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Tom Warren says that there will be two new Nokia phones at MWC. Who needs software when you have hardware? Huh, giga? Who?

*cries in corner*

catmincer

So,

I can no longer handle the locking up, freezing and downright sluggishness of my Xperia S.

I'm looking at going back to WP. So, I am wondering if at the same price which is a better phone...

Lumia 820 or 8X? I am leaning towards the 8X because of the screen res but the 16GB storage is a bit lacking. Which one has a better camera?

Couple more things as well...

Can you actually save videos on WP8 if they're streaming from a website? You could do this on Android, click a link and it'll have the option to save or stream.

Also, does WP8 actually support proper USB mass storage? I.e can I xfer videos and music onto the phone or download them from websites and view them straight away without having to sync with my PC?

Finally, do either of them have a noticiation LED? I cannot handle going back to a phone without one.

Booser

Anyone know of a good travel app for WP like Trip Journal? My Travel Story looks good but doesnt track your location in "real time" - only when you check in somewhere. Im looking for something that you can look at the route you have taken on a map like TJ does.

So,

I can no longer handle the locking up, freezing and downright sluggishness of my Xperia S.

I'm looking at going back to WP. So, I am wondering if at the same price which is a better phone...

Lumia 820 or 8X? I am leaning towards the 8X because of the screen res but the 16GB storage is a bit lacking. Which one has a better camera?

Can you actually save videos on WP8 if they're streaming from a website? You could do this on Android, click a link and it'll have the option to save or stream.

Also, does WP8 actually support proper USB mass storage? I.e can I xfer videos and music onto the phone or download them from websites and view them straight away without having to sync with my PC?

Finally, do either of them have a noticiation LED? I cannot handle going back to a phone without one.

The Lumia 820 is probably the better bet in the long run, seeing as it has microSD expandable storage and a removable battery just in case you run dry. Even though the 8X has a proper HD screen, keep in mind that the 820 uses AMOLED instead - and it's the non-PenTile kind, too, so expect very vivid colours and great sunlight visibility. Some people think that they're too vivid, but I'm fine with that.

No OS-level functionality for saving videos, but there are apps for that.

WP8 supports mass storage mode for every device. You shouldn't need to convert most stuff, only MKV files need attention.

I don't think both have one.

maeh2k

The general opinion seems to be that hardware-wise the 8X is preferable to the 820. Should have nicer design, screen, camera. 16 GB has always been enough for me. Unless you want to carry a lot of music on the device I think it's enough.

I don't think you can save videos. There may be some youtube apps that can download videos but there's no general way to do it.

I'm pretty sure USB mass storage was one of the new features with WP8. Not sure about supported video formats.

No notification LEDs.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
This should be a slam dunk, the 8x should win no question. Better camera, screen, and design. But the Nokia software is compelling. How much built in storage is on the 820? WP8 won't allow you to save apps on the SD, so whatever the built in storage is will be your app limit.

Just remember that media is going to take a lot of space anyway, either way. Do you have a lot of media (like music, videos, pictures) that you'd like to have in your phone at all times?

I'd rather trust Nokia's software support anyway.

Daeda

Is this the new smaller Lumia?

lumiamystery_large.jpg

It's not. KPN, the Dutch provider whose commercial this picture originates from, commented on the speculation and acknowledged that it was a mockup:

We can imagine that the yellow colour causes some confusion. It is a fake phone, built for this commercial however. Because previous commercials featured a yelow Nokia Lumia 920 we opted to use the same colour.

http://translate.google.com/transla...ring-met-namaak-lumia-in-reclame.html&act=url

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
My other storage is down to 3gb now? I think the only thing I did was uninstall and reinstall podcast lounge. I had only downloaded a few podcasts. Weird...

this_guy

Any good cell phone trading sites out there? Wanting to trade my S3 for an 8x... if not I'll go the eBay route

Not exactly trading sites, but I typically use gazelle.com and buymytronics.com to sell back phones and tablets. You can get a little more from eBay, but not dealing with the hassle of possibly getting screwed by a buyer is worth it.

Ragus

Banned
Why can't I send a 2,5 mb photo by email? Why doesn't WP8 give me an option te send them in original size. You know, as in every other smartphone OS?

KoukiFC

Neo Member
While the 820 does have an SD slot, its internal memory is only 8GB. So if you use a lot of apps, then the 8X is preferable with the internal 16GB.

+ sd slot
+ video recording (amazing sound recording, craps all over the 8x)
+ removable battery

8X
+ hd screen
+ better ergonomics
+ 16GB internal storage
+ beats audio (loud speaker!)
+ camera stills

I bought the 822 and the 8X last week. As you can see, I am liking the 8X more. :)

MattDoza

Metrotube has a preload option that lets you download a video for later viewing, but I'm not sure how its saved. Never used the feature myself. Might just be a temp file or something. But you do see metrotube in Zune, so it could very well be saved there.

Milchjon

Metrotube has a preload option that lets you download a video for later viewing, but I'm not sure how its saved. Never used the feature myself. Might just be a temp file or something. But you do see metrotube in Zune, so it could very well be saved there.

It's been a while, but I've downloaded videos with MetroTube before, and those were stored until deleted.

catmincer

Running dry isn't likely I have a USB charger on my work desk. the HD screen is what pushes me towards the 8X. I don't know if I can go back to a sub-HD res after my Xperia S. No LED is a pain, does the 920 have one?

The general opinion seems to be that hardware-wise the 8X is preferable to the 820. Should have nicer design, screen, camera. 16 GB has always been enough for me. Unless you want to carry a lot of music on the device I think it's enough.

Well, I have 32GB on my Xperia and ~1600 songs so I can easily cull a few hundred songs, no issue.

This should be a slam dunk, the 8x should win no question. Better camera, screen, and design. But the Nokia software is compelling. How much built in storage is on the 820? WP8 won't allow you to save apps on the SD, so whatever the built in storage is will be your app limit.

8GB on the 820. So you can't store any apps on the sd card whatsoever? That's dumb.

Just remember that media is going to take a lot of space anyway, either way. Do you have a lot of media (like music, videos, pictures) that you'd like to have in your phone at all times?

I'd rather trust Nokia's software support anyway.

Yeah, I saw the Nokia apps are really good. :(

While the 820 does have an SD slot, its internal memory is only 8GB. So if you use a lot of apps, then the 8X is preferable with the internal 16GB.

+ sd slot
+ video recording (amazing sound recording, craps all over the 8x)
+ removable battery

8X
+ hd screen
+ better ergonomics
+ 16GB internal storage
+ beats audio (loud speaker!)
+ camera stills

I bought the 822 and the 8X last week. As you can see, I am liking the 8X more. :)

I actually have a pair of beats headphones (They were 1/2 price dammit) so that in the 8X is handy. Does the 820 have any equaliser? I hated that my Optimus 7 didn't.

Worth noting too that HTC's long term reliability ain't the best.

How so?

frontieruk

Anyone know of a good travel app for WP like Trip Journal? My Travel Story looks good but doesnt track your location in "real time" - only when you check in somewhere. Im looking for something that you can look at the route you have taken on a map like TJ does.

I was going to say Last Flowers was making an app like that until you mentioned the real time tracking, and with WP I'm not 100% sure about 8, but in WP7 you'd have the app open and basically not do anything else with it like receive calls read texts etc or it'd interrupt the tracking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom