• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.

NeOak

I actually have a pair of beats headphones (They were 1/2 price dammit) so that in the 8X is handy. Does the 820 have any equaliser? I hated that my Optimus 7 didn't.

How so?

Yes, Nokia has an equalizer.

HTC hardware has had shoddy construction issues. (SIM card tray errors for one)

You can have a continuous location application running (like nokia drive), but I think it would suck up a lot of battery. You might be able to adjust the location trigger to trigger once you've moved a certain location away, but I didn't really look at it that way.

My app was doing background location every 30 minutes, which is the quickest interval between background agent runs. Also, anytime you wrote a 'note' or took a photo using the app.

I integrated azure into it, but there were some kinks that I ran into before stopping development. I'm hoping to actually develop it further, but I've been busy and lazy during my downtime the past couple of weeks. I might end up completely getting rid of azure stoage for the v1 release, since there would be no other client using it. There are some camera bugs I'd like to fix up, and integrate a lens so that you don't need to launch the app to get the location data.

frontieruk

You can have a continuous location application running (like nokia drive), but I think it would suck up a lot of battery. You might be able to adjust the location trigger to trigger once you've moved a certain location away, but I didn't really look at it that way.

My app was doing background location every 30 minutes, which is the quickest interval between background agent runs. Also, anytime you wrote a 'note' or took a photo using the app.

I integrated azure into it, but there were some kinks that I ran into before stopping development. I'm hoping to actually develop it further, but I've been busy and lazy during my downtime the past couple of weeks. I might end up completely getting rid of azure stoage for the v1 release, since there would be no other client using it. There are some camera bugs I'd like to fix up, and integrate a lens so that you don't need to launch the app to get the location data.

So is wp8 limited with the location API the same way 7 was? I remember that was the reason sports tracking apps are poor compared to their cousins on other platforms, I remember the Sports Tracker devs were getting fed up replying to recently moved symbian users it was a limitation of WP7 why their app stopped tracking activity when the users took a call or read a text on the move.

Tomcat

no wp8 supports background agents for location. I don't know if the big apps like endmondo or sports tracker have been updated to support this though

kharma45

They just don't seem built to last, I've owned two myself and other friends with them have had issues with their phones just having general hardware issues after a while.

Perceived build quality on them is good but in the long term they don't seem to last too well.

MCD

Time for some gloom and doom moment...

Feels like we will be waiting for Sept or Oct for any big update which is utter bullshit.

Just a guess from my experience with anything MS.

Totakeke

Feels like we will be waiting for Sept or Oct for any big update which is utter bullshit.

Wait, yearly schedules for big updates is utter bullshit now?

MCD

Lol it's gonna come with more stuff, of course.

But they will still be behind with this type of turtle updating.

maeh2k

There may be another small update before that. We know they want to add support for CalDAV and CardDav before Google turns of EAS. That will supposedly happen before September.

So, guys, I need some advice.

I've never owned a smartphone before, but as time went on, I got more and more interested.

Last week, my provider called me and offered the following:
  • Nokia Lumia 820 for 239 € (~ 206 £, respectively ~ 319 $)
  • a data plan with a 200 MB internet flat rate, 100 free texts and 100 free minutes per month for 20 €
  • a 100 € refund, so basically for the first 5 months I don't have to pay for my data plan
  • runs for 2 years
I'm in Germany, by the way.

I've been extremely interested in Windows Phone for quite some time now. Since I've got most of my college stuff organized via SkyDrive and tend to use Office quite a lot, this phone would probably complement that part of my life quite nicely. Also, Nokia's exclusive apps seem very nice.
Since this would be my first smartphone, I don't think the (potential) lack of apps will be much of a problem. I'm simply not used to that stuff yet and I'm pretty sure the most basic and convenient things are available on WP8. It's not like I'm heavily invested in the Apple or Android ecosystems, unlike others.

So, any comments on this?

I own a good DSLR, so the 920's superior camera isn't really a draw for me. I've got my Canon for that. The 820's will be more than enough for quick snapshots, I guess.

I'm a bit concerned about the 8 GB of storage. Should I be worried when it comes to app usage? I don't really see myself downloading thousands of apps anyway, and AFAIK most aren't exactly big anyway, but I'd still like to hear some opinions on this.

Finally, might it be better to wait for the upcoming Nokia event thingy? Especially with regard to price drops?

So many questions... I'm looking forward to your opinions!

joshschw

No one should buy products based on what they assume, or what they think, or what people say, will be coming. Buy it for how it is when you buy it or you're almost guaranteed to be disappointed one way or another.

Booser

Speaking of real time tracking Trip Meter works really well. You can also change how frequently the gps refreshes. I didn't know that texts etc interrupt it.

cametall

Does Nokia Drive seem to avoid turnpikes and toll roads for anyone else?

Taking the Florida Turnpike was the fastest way to my destination yet Nokia Drive insisted I take some back roads through a bad neighborhood the other day...

Treo360

I've had some trouble lately. Gets to the 50% mark where the install usually begins, and it'll fail and ask me to retry. On 7.8 btw.
my problem was I couldn't even download anything. It would say something about marketplace account services not available. Very annoying. It's fixed now, but earlier it was a pain.

Razdek

Banned
Do you guys think that they'll release another update like Portico soon or they'll wait until the big update in the fall?

Oh my god, you guys! Mobile World Congress is next week! And we're going to see ... stuff!

Are you excited?!

I'm in the I have my new phone and I am content for the next 9 months phase. I learned if I keep looking I just disappoint myself faster. I do this with almost any piece of tech.

Gonna ride the Lumia 920 wave until at least October baby. COWABUNGGGAAAA

Edit: The only thing what will make me think twice is a Lumia with an improved build/styling with a better quality camera (20MP++), and OIS

JimiNutz

Banned
I'm in the I have my new phone and I am content for the next 9 months phase. I learned if I keep looking I just disappoint myself faster. I do this with almost any piece of tech.

Gonna ride the Lumia 920 wave until at least October baby. COWABUNGGGAAAA

Edit: The only thing what will make me think twice is a Lumia with an improved build/styling with a better quality camera (20MP++), and OIS

I'm in the same boat, the only thing that would make me reconsider however is a MS Surface Phone (especially if it looked as sexy as the mock ups).

I doubt it's coming though.

Blackhead

Redarse
I'm in the same boat, the only thing that would make me reconsider however is a MS Surface Phone (especially if it looked as sexy as the mock ups).

I doubt it's coming though.

It's got to be a MS Surface iPod Touch surely. Microsoft won't be so dumb as to put out a phone.

Wait, yearly schedules for big updates is utter bullshit now?

Not updates, catchupdates. I'd be fine with a yearly update cycle if the phone OS was up to date feature wise. There are small things MS needs to add to catch up, feature wise. Waiting years for that is rediculous.

AnkitT

So... I'll be joining android gaf by the end of this week. I thought that 7.8 would have been enough to tide me over, but a few things over the past few days have made me switch. One is that I've been having battery life issues after the update, and I haven't been able to pinpoint one thing for it. Second is the absolutely fuckin annoying 13/30 volume switch that happens randomly when I'm listening to music and after a reboot. I'll still be keeping the phone as a backup, but until we meet again, farewell WP-GAF!

So... I'll be joining android gaf by the end of this week. I thought that 7.8 would have been enough to tide me over, but a few things over the past few days have made me switch. One is that I've been having battery life issues after the update, and I haven't been able to pinpoint one thing for it. Second is the absolutely fuckin annoying 13/30 volume switch that happens randomly when I'm listening to music and after a reboot. I'll still be keeping the phone as a backup, but until we meet again, farewell WP-GAF!

You'll be missed.

But it's okay, I'll wait for you in the other thread.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone know anything about updates for the Titan? I'm still on 7720 with keyboard issues and everything and it always says I have no updates.

Probably AT&T's fault one way or another.

AnkitT

Battery life issues and bugs, makes sense to get an android device. :p

Lets see which of the deserters comes back first.

lol well I bought the razr maxx hd and I can choose from a selection of roms, so I assume i'll be fine, but who knows. WP7 was my first smartphone, so i'll be new to android and there's lots of chances of a fuck up, but hey, at least i'm assured of battery life(an equivalent of which I dont really see happening on WP any time soon or ever probably)

Oh, PS: The lumia bug of a total lock up after listening to music for a long time with headphones plugged in seems to be fixed.

I just got the Lumia 920. Anything else critical I should know that's not in the first post? Where do I see my phone number, and how do I set my lock screen to Bing?

I just got the Lumia 920. Anything else critical I should know that's not in the first post? Where do I see my phone number, and how do I set my lock screen to Bing?

Go to Nokia Collections and download most of the apps there. And download your State/Country map in Nokia Drive/Maps.

Also download bing maps back to the phone. The POI in bing maps is way better than Nokia's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom