• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.

PG2G

Didn't realize Great Big War Game was out for Windows Phone 8. Looks like it just came out in the last few days. Did this one slip by, or was I not paying attention?

PG2G

Is it a good game?

Seems like a pretty good strategy game. I just know of it because the devs were complaining about how poorly it performed on Windows Store (it wad an RT only release). I believe I read it was fairly popular on the other platforms.

Okay, now I got a radio app because I still want to listen to local stations, but I'm missing a few stations, including one I listen to. All stations are available on the Android version, oddly.

Okay, now I got a radio app because I still want to listen to local stations, but I'm missing a few stations, including one I listen to. All stations are available on the Android version, oddly.

What radio app? I ask because I use Tune-in and they have like a bajillion and one stations

frontieruk

So... I'll be joining android gaf by the end of this week. I thought that 7.8 would have been enough to tide me over, but a few things over the past few days have made me switch. One is that I've been having battery life issues after the update, and I haven't been able to pinpoint one thing for it. Second is the absolutely fuckin annoying 13/30 volume switch that happens randomly when I'm listening to music and after a reboot. I'll still be keeping the phone as a backup, but until we meet again, farewell WP-GAF!

Good luck, I hope your quest for battery life goes better than mine in android land.

Holy shit, I know I've mentioned this before, but the music controls on 7.8!! (Is 8 the same way?)

Who thought it would be a good idea for a giant control panel to pop down over 20% of the screen when I unlock my screen to look at a text?

One of the reasons I prefer WP is that from OS design and UI standpoint, I have a hard time finding things to complain about, but this change to the music controls is awful.

Raide

Yey got lumia 620. So far so good. Much nicer after using old pos for so long.

Welcome new 620 owner! I have had mine for less than a week and I really like it. Got a case for it yesterday, just to protect its vital bits. :D Phone works very well and is actually a good sized smartphone. So many more expensive ones feel way to bulky and way too big to use.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
So Nokia released 3 new Xbox live games: Yahtzee, Zuma, and bejeweled. Is this a bad thing for Windows Phone in general? I know it happens, to a lesser extent, on android, but the fact that the market share is small means the only way these games get ported and released is if Nokia pays for them. I don't know if there's anything MS can do about it, they certainly can't make HTC or Samsung give a damn about their windows phones, so it just reinforces my belief that Windows Phone at this point should be synonymous with Nokia. They truly are the only ones who care and anyone considering this platform should really just buy a Nokia phone.

So Nokia released 3 new Xbox live games: Yahtzee, Zuma, and bejeweled. Is this a bad thing for Windows Phone in general? I know it happens, to a lesser extent, on android, but the fact that the market share is small means the only way these games get ported and released is if Nokia pays for them. I don't know if there's anything MS can do about it, they certainly can't make HTC or Samsung give a damn about their windows phones, so it just reinforces my belief that Windows Phone at this point should be synonymous with Nokia. They truly are the only ones who care and anyone considering this platform should really just buy a Nokia phone.

Agreed.

The app support is getting a little disgusting to be honest. How long have we been saying, "wait guys, it's coming, it's almost time?"

I'm tempted to sell my Lumia 920 for a Xperia Z, but I love this phone so much and it's not fair for Nokia. Get your shit together MS.

ElNino

7.8 is a disaster every time I read about it. Glad I never waited for that shit.
I have had no issues with 7.8 so far. I'm waiting to see what phones will be released this year before I decide whether to wait or go with a 920, but my 900 is working fine for now.

Discusguy

4 days with my Nokia 920 and I'm loving it. I agree Nokia is wp8. I wouldn't buy any other wp8 phone. I tell people either Nokia 1st than apple if people ate looking for a smartphone.

When people talk about lack of apps are they talking about games are social apps or what? The games are definitely lacking no doubt.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
The app support is getting a little disgusting to be honest. How long have we been saying, "wait guys, it's coming, it's almost time?"

I'm tempted to sell my Lumia 920 for a Xperia Z, but I love this phone so much and it's not fair for Nokia. Get your shit together MS.

3rd party apps is not the reason to own windows phone, that's for sure.

4 days with my Nokia 920 and I'm loving it. I agree Nokia is wp8. I wouldn't buy any other wp8 phone. I tell people either Nokia 1st than apple if people ate looking for a smartphone.

When people talk about lack of apps are they talking about games are social apps or what? The games are definitely lacking no doubt.

Any apps. The fact that Instagram and Temple Run are still not available is ridiculous.

MCD

It's more than no app, brot.

The thing that disgusts me is how every developer out there either doesn't know of WP or just outright bash it.

And you think MS will come in and just pour some money but no, they don't.

Hey MS - if you are waiting for a miracle then you might as well sell this turd of an OS to Nokia and never attempt mobile again.

TTOOLL

The OS is fine. Of course it has its problems, as any OS has. However, the fact that I can't control the volume the way I want, or lock screen rotation shows that MS is being too slow to catch up with competition.

The biggest problem is, without any doubt, the lack of apps and games, especially where I live. As I told you guys before, we don't even have Angry Birds Star Wars in Brazil yet.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I am a bit emotional when it comes to WP.

I am sorry.

Just saying, the biggest reason to even get a windows phone device is the core OS itself, with its speed, stability, efficiency, etc. Otherwise, why bother? Nokia hardware and built in Office aren't a big enough reason on their own, imo.

If I felt the core OS sucked, I wouldn't own a 920, as amazing as the camera is and as beautiful as the hardware is. The iPhone 5 is a gorgeous device and has all the apps I could ever want, but the OS grew so stale for me that I can't use that phone day to day. Core android is getting better, but Google is getting worse at picking good Nexus phone hardware and the skins suck and no, I don't feel like buying a Samsung phone and putting a pure android rom on it.

It's more than no app, brot.

The thing that disgusts me is how every developer out there either doesn't know of WP or just outright bash it.

And you think MS will come in and just pour some money but no, they don't.

Hey MS - if you are waiting for a miracle then you might as well sell this turd of an OS to Nokia and never attempt mobile again.

Not giving a shit is not bashing. And then you have this Path CEO guy, who runs this Path social network thing, who said something really nice about the platform. About a year ago.

Social-networking service Path is ramping up efforts to reach users of mobile devices. Dave Morin, Path’s chief executive officer, said the startup will release an app designed for Apple’s iPad this year. He said Path is likely to release an app next year for Microsoft phones, which run a newly revamped version of the company’s flagship mobile operating system.

“I’m bullish on Windows Phone,” Morin said in an interview with reporters at a Bloomberg Newsmaker event in San Francisco. Microsoft CEO Steve “Ballmer and those guys deserve huge credit.”

Co-founded by Morin in 2010, Path lets users post messages and photos to a tightly knit group of no more than 150 people. The company stopped offering a version of its service for computer Web browsers last year in order to focus on mobile platforms — a bet that demand for social networking over wireless devices will surge.

About 70 percent of Path’s 3 million users access the site via Apple devices, while 30 percent use handsets with Google’s Android software. In the future, Apple will probably remain the dominant platform, with the rest split between Google and Microsoft, Morin said. Microsoft is poised to benefit from its partnership with Nokia, maker of the recently released Lumia, he said.

“Lumia is probably the best-designed phone, besides the iPhone,” Morin said.
http://go.bloomberg.com/tech-blog/2...says-hes-bullish-on-microsofts-windows-phone/

3 million users, dude. That's huge.

Or may be, just may be Microsoft should give a damm about Windows Phone.

My fear is Windows Blue... are we in for another platform reset when Windows Phone 8 merge with Windows 8. Using Android the last few days I can't help but feel Windows Phone would have been awesome as Tablet UI. A 5" and 7" devices would be killer instead we get that abomination that is Windows RT,

Just do what I do and pick up Nexus 7 tablet for gaming. Hey are you the same Voice of Reason that use to post on Xbox forum?

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
From the Verge's livestream of the HTC event.

This is now the second time in less than a year that a phone maker has promised dramatically better low light images.

Nokia delivered, not that you cared.

My fear is Windows Blue... are we in for another platform reset when Windows Phone 8 merge with Windows 8. Using Android the last few days I can't help but feel Windows Phone would have been awesome as Tablet UI. A 5" and 7" devices would be killer instead we get that abomination that is Windows RT,

This platform can't handle another reset--the OS barely has a chance as it is. We still haven't reached parity.

For my part, WP does everything I need it to do, but that's not enough for everyone.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
So I just read up on the HTC One and the new Sense. Nope, that's not gonna get it done for me. Nokia is up later this week, lets see if they bring the heat. Then its Samsung's turn. Then Apple. Lets see if any of them manage to give me phone envy.

MarkusRJR

Just picked up a Lumia 610 for cheap to hold me off until the 620 comes out in Canada (should be in a month or two on my carrier). Please tell me that all the WP7 apps work fine on the Lumia 620. The only problem with this phone is the fact most games and apps refuse to work. Also, is there any place to buy the yellow back plate yet? Yellow is my favorite color so I can't wait for them to become available.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I was just saying that Verge's comment sounded like the 920 promised but didn't deliver. I have nothing against the HTC One other than it looks like the Z10 and iPhone in a lot of ways.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom