• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.
You mean the software that HTC added? Or do you mean a hardware component that isn't supported by WP?

It's about the complete Zoe feature.

“We are equally committed to the Windows platform, so we will do what we can,” said Symon Whitehorn, HTC’s camera expert. “We don’t want to cut off consumers,” he continued, before saying there were no current plans to move the feature over.

The problem, according to Whitehorn, is down to the Windows Phone camera kernel, which restricts what can be done.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Just picked up a Lumia 610 for cheap to hold me off until the 620 comes out in Canada (should be in a month or two on my carrier). Please tell me that all the WP7 apps work fine on the Lumia 620. The only problem with this phone is the fact most games and apps refuse to work. Also, is there any place to buy the yellow back plate yet? Yellow is my favorite color so I can't wait for them to become available.

what is your carrier again? The 620 is coming to Telus within the week apparently.

http://www.wpcentral.com/nokia-lumia-620-set-launch-telus-next-few-days

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
It's about the complete Zoe feature.

Seems like a lot could be done with the lenses feature. Not sure how radically different that is from something like cinemagraph in terms of capturing short video clips and then editing, unless Nokia is getting special access, but I doubt it. HTC just doesn't care and probably doesn't want to build a lenses app anyway that would replicate Zoe.

MCD

3 days since I removed wmpoweruser app and not a single reboot when idle with my Lumia 920 (yes, my phone kept rebooting even after Portico).

Here is hoping I found the culprit.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
It's a bit of both. Hardware and software redesigns that Android's support.

The one thing that I read about Zoe that may be what HTC is referring to is the ability to simultaneously have full res video and photos. Something about them using two streams that they probably can't replicate on wp8.

PG2G

Kind of hate how Next Gen Reader handles being relaunched/resumed though. I have it setup to check for new stuff when I open it, but if it resumes it (which is most of the time for me) I have to manually tell it to sync.

I do prefer it over Wonder Reader though

So between the Lumia 620 and the HTC 8S, which is the better phone?

I have an iPhone 4S right now and I hate it for the most part. I'm mostly concerned with Battery life more than anything since I'm a heavy user during the day.

kharma45

I have an iPhone 4S right now and I hate it for the most part. I'm mostly concerned with Battery life more than anything since I'm a heavy user during the day.

620 for the Nokia apps and larger internal memory.

Battery is bigger in the 8S but I've had no issues getting through a day on the 620.

Yeah I'm leaning towards the 620. Do you know how battery compares to the 4S? I find the battery life great, but I'd imagine a newer phone would be just as good.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Nokia Music+ is now available in the US. The upgrade or trail option is in the settings.

edit: The audio quality seems very good on Nokia Music+

You probably want the 620 in the end, if only because of software support alone with the 620 - one thing I know with Nokia Windows Phones is that the software support is... insane compared to the alternative within the WP world.

Battery life is strongly dependent on what you do with the phone. Do you keep the phone on standby most of the time, or do you chew through the battery browsing the web on a 3G network? Battery life can vary a lot depending on the amount of time the screen is on and how much processing is in use.

I charge my phone every night to prevent it from draining out...

Gannd

Banned
I have a question. I got the Lumia 920 yesterday, how are you guys getting the NeoGAF title to show up? I would love to have quick access to that.

Also: Is it just for me but the Audible App doesn't seem to remember its place in a book and constantly starts over when I start to play a book again. I am having to bookmark the book every time I stop playing to get around this. Also, the lack of syncing between other devices (which the Android and iOS app have) is a little off putting. I hope the app situation improves.

I have a question. I got the Lumia 920 yesterday, how are you guys getting the NeoGAF title to show up? I would love to have quick access to that.

Also: Is it just for me but the Audible App doesn't seem to remember its place in a book and constantly starts over when I start to play a book again. I am having to bookmark the book every time I stop playing to get around this. Also, the lack of syncing between other devices (which the Android and iOS app have) is a little off putting. I hope the app situation improves.

when you are on the mobile site there should be a "do you want a neogaf tile?" thing on the m.neogaf.com page. you click that and then go to the menu "pin to start"

cametall

Is the sound the lock screen makes when you turn the phone off or unlock it always a "drip" noise, like water dripping?

Is there a way to change that sound?

I was just about to ask about the custom tile for this site.
I am still wondering about how I can link my old Hotmail account to this. For Email, I have my outlook set up, but mail that gets sent to my Hotmail doesn't show up and I can't log in with it any more since it's not a real account anymore, I think.

waxer

I was just about to ask about the custom tile for this site.
I am still wondering about how I can link my old Hotmail account to this. For Email, I have my outlook set up, but mail that gets sent to my Hotmail doesn't show up and I can't log in with it any more since it's not a real account anymore, I think.

You have to select to sync with the hotmail folder. Open outlook mail then hit ... for more, folders, show all, select your hotmail folder, choose sync this folder

So, to get back to the podcast question, Podcast Lounge is a pretty good work in progress. No issues pausing and coming back to a podcast days later. It also has every podcast I was looking for in its index, didn't even have to add from RSS. Downloading is easy enough. The only issue, and to be fair it's a pretty important one for this kind of app, is the inability to automatically download new episodes when they come out. Once they get that taken care of, and it looks like they're working on it, this should be just as good as the iOS podcast app.

noquarter

Just updated to a Windows Phone 8 from an iPhone and really don't think I can do it.

some of the things that are bothering me is this WindowsPhone app for the computer. I'm still on Win7 and this is horrible. Really can't just use Windows Media Player. All my albums are all jacked up, like the stupid Xbox music can't read metadata, it won't let me sync from iTunes and Windows folders, and then doesn't even find everything when it trys to sync with Win folders. I can't sort by album, so anything that has Album artist plus Guest artist shows up as different albums. So much that I thought would be easier if I use Windows just isn't

Please GAF, tell me I'm fucking up and there is an easier way to do everything, I really don't want to go back to Apple, but syncing my music, which I thought would be easier is a chore.

Yeah, I just spent a couple hours deleting music off my phone, double checking ID tags on the computer, and putting the music back on the phone. I have no idea what the phone's music player is looking at to come up with the information displayed in Xbox Music and why it insists on screwing everything around.

Just updated to a Windows Phone 8 from an iPhone and really don't think I can do it.

some of the things that are bothering me is this WindowsPhone app for the computer. I'm still on Win7 and this is horrible. Really can't just use Windows Media Player. All my albums are all jacked up, like the stupid Xbox music can't read metadata, it won't let me sync from iTunes and Windows folders, and then doesn't even find everything when it trys to sync with Win folders. I can't sort by album, so anything that has Album artist plus Guest artist shows up as different albums. So much that I thought would be easier if I use Windows just isn't

Please GAF, tell me I'm fucking up and there is an easier way to do everything, I really don't want to go back to Apple, but syncing my music, which I thought would be easier is a chore.

Uhhh download the Windows Phone Connector and it should sync to iTunes with no problem. You shouldn't have to mess with media player

noquarter

Uhhh download the Windows Phone Connector and it should sync to iTunes with no problem. You shouldn't have to mess with media player
I did and it does, it just doesn't sync the metadata right for some reason, doesn't have sort options really (can't sort by album), and defeats the purpose of me switching (I hate iTunes and want to stop using it completely)

I was really hoping Microsoft would just let me sync using WMP, not some shitty app that really doesn't do anything.

I also realize that some of my complaints (not all are voiced here) are "growing pains" but when one of the things I was hoping would be simplified is more convoluted now, I really don't want to continue to use the phone.

Sordid

I did and it does, it just doesn't sync the metadata right for some reason, doesn't have sort options really (can't sort by album), and defeats the purpose of me switching (I hate iTunes and want to stop using it completely)

I was really hoping Microsoft would just let me sync using WMP, not some shitty app that really doesn't do anything.

I also realize that some of my complaints (not all are voiced here) are "growing pains" but when one of the things I was hoping would be simplified is more convoluted now, I really don't want to continue to use the phone.

If it's any easier your phone should appear in My Computer, you can drag and drop your music over. Not sure if you can change the sort options though.

Does anyone know if you can update WP8 phones manually (similar to cab updating with WP7)? After debranding my Lumia 620 I'm worried I won't get any future updates!

hwalker84

You can sync with WMP. Thats what I do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom