• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Since Local Scout is borked in Canada for WP8 if you want an alternative you can pin the Places layer in Nokia Maps to the start screen is you have a Lumia phone.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
What I would like to see at MWC from Nokia:

- new phones including a 24-41MP WP as well as new designs
- new firmware for the 920 with improvements to battery life and the camera
- improvements to Nokia Maps and Nokia Drive to come out of Beta
- app announcements
- more carrier support
- show new WP8 features

hwalker84

- app announcements
- more carrier support
- show new WP8 features

I'll take all of them. But what I really want is the performance of the 920's camera in a 4.7 inch screen but much much smaller footprint.

- show new WP8 features

Reminds me of the time before the Apollo announcement.

"It's a month before launch and they haven't told us anything yet! There must be a super secret feature they wanna protect till the last minute!"

Good times.

f0lken

- app announcements
- more carrier support
- show new WP8 features

This is what we won't get saddly, MS simply doesn't care of bringing new features if they aren't all together in a big annual update. I am sure Nokia would like to offer plenty of new features and services, and overall making the OS (not the apps) better, but because they are at the mercy of MS the new flagship Lumia they will probably announce on Monday more than likely won't be different than the 920 except in one or two things (no 1080p screen for example because MS doesn't offer support for that resolution, and I am sure Nokia would be all over it if only they could)

Booser

Id just be happy with a 7.9 update that allowed Gps apps to properly run in the background without shutting off. I hear its been fixed for WP8 though.

I'm curious, how many of you have a Windows Phone/Windows 8 PC and are not planning to get the new Xbox, especially if those rumors are true?

It's a weird situation, as I'm not completely into the MS ecosystem, but I'm not gonna be a prisoner of their anti-consumer bullshit if it's true. Definitely getting a PS4, which feels weird because I love Windows 8 and the Windows Phone.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I'm curious, how many of you have a Windows Phone/Windows 8 PC and are not planning to get the new Xbox, especially if those rumors are true?

It's a weird situation, as I'm not completely into the MS ecosystem, but I'm not gonna be a prisoner of their anti-consumer bullshit if it's true. Definitely getting a PS4, which feels weird because I love Windows 8 and the Windows Phone.

You mean the rumors about the no used games policy? I'd wait until that's confirmed before deciding which next gen console to get (if you can't get them all, that is). No sense getting upset about a rumor. If it's true, then it would depend on its other features. I use my consoles mainly for non-gaming as it is, but if there is some deep connectivity with my phone and PC, I may decide to buy it anyway. Who knows. I don't suffer from ecosystem lockdown syndrome though, if I think I will like something else better, I just go for it. All my apps will be there if/when I decide to come back anyway.

Honestly, multi-console and multi-ecosystem is the way to go, provided there aren't any budget constraints.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member

I will be getting the new Xbox pretty much for sure. Like Van said nothing is confirmed about the used games stuff, but for that doesn't really matter since I tend to hang to games and rarely buy used. Anyways, I'm pretty excited to see what they show. Give me Alan Wake 2!

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
That's another thing I would like to see at MWC is instagra. Not that I would use it, but so I can stop hearing about it and for people who want it on the platform.

You mean the rumors about the no used games policy? I'd wait until that's confirmed before deciding which next gen console to get (if you can't get them all, that is). No sense getting upset about a rumor. If it's true, then it would depend on its other features. I use my consoles mainly for non-gaming as it is, but if there is some deep connectivity with my phone and PC, I may decide to buy it anyway. Who knows. I don't suffer from ecosystem lockdown syndrome though, if I think I will like something else better, I just go for it. All my apps will be there if/when I decide to come back anyway.

Honestly, multi-console and multi-ecosystem is the way to go, provided there aren't any budget constraints.

Might just build a PC and use my 720 for a multimedia box.

I'm really excited to see what the xbox team has in store, based onome of the reactions from Xbox public people. I was a major PS3 user during the current gen (well...with what games I didn't play on PC), so it's not as if I'm in some MS echo chamber. In fact the only reason I have an xbox is because of my internship.

I really liked the PS4 showing, so I can't wait to see the war of the services :)

I'll definitely be buying both systems. Not sure about the WiiU. I was debating a week ago, but their franchise appeal has completely worn off on me. Replaying Skyward Sword right now, and the deficiencies in the tech really bothers me.

Instagram denied on Blackberry 10, even as an Android port. Does this mean we win 3rd place?
I'd never have thought that Instagram is such a big selling point. A lot of my friends and classmates are interested in the Lumia 920 and they always ask me if Instagram is available for it. Microsoft should try to get it...

I'm really excited to see what the xbox team has in store, based onome of the reactions from Xbox public people. I was a major PS3 user during the current gen (well...with what games I didn't play on PC), so it's not as if I'm in some MS echo chamber. In fact the only reason I have an xbox is because of my internship.

I really liked the PS4 showing, so I can't wait to see the war of the services :)

I'll definitely be buying both systems. Not sure about the WiiU. I was debating a week ago, but their franchise appeal has completely worn off on me. Replaying Skyward Sword right now, and the deficiencies in the tech really bothers me.

I was heavily invested in Xbox 360 but if this fall it doesn't come with BC for my Xbox Live games and more benefit for Gold like PS+ there is no reason I am staying in Microsoft eco-system.

Last night I was watching Xbox Video on Xbox (I got some free points so I bought a movie) and this is the first I used it since Zune and what a shitty experience it was. I remember you used to be able to download and start watching, now the Xbox video is either download first (which take forever) or stream (which for some reason is pretty shitty now compare to Zune Video). Plus don't get me start on it not being compatible with Windows Phone 8.

I think Xbox Team really need to bring their top game and compelling reason for me to keep going onto Xbox Next or they are going to loose people like me for good.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I was heavily invested in Xbox 360 but if this fall it doesn't come with BC for my Xbox Live games and more benefit for Gold like PS+ there is no reason I am staying in Microsoft eco-system.

Last night I was watching Xbox Video on Xbox (I got some free points so I bought a movie) and this is the first I used it since Zune and what a shitty experience it was. I remember you used to be able to download and start watching, now the Xbox video is either download first (which take forever) or stream (which for some reason is pretty shitty now compare to Zune Video). Plus don't get me start on it not being compatible with Windows Phone 8.

I think Xbox Team really need to bring their top game and compelling reason for me to keep going onto Xbox Next or they are going to loose people like me for good.

Other than not being able to bring my Xbox video's to my phone I don't have any issues with the streaming. Hard to say what will happen with XBLA compatibility.

Other than not being able to bring my Xbox video's to my phone I don't have any issues with the streaming. Hard to say what will happen with XBLA compatibility.

Is the Xbox 360 x86 based? If so, I'd assume there is BC...although it certainly seems like MS is shying away from XNA based on the articles I've seen out on the web.

What makes me interested is all of the services they offer that ENRICH the gaming experience. The XBL integration into the 360 made me really jealous as a ps3 owner in 2008. Their online community was just much more defined and executed. The absolute silence coming out of the Xbox team, and their super heightened security makes me think that there will be something I can't think of.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Is the Xbox 360 x86 based? If so, I'd assume there is BC...although it certainly seems like MS is shying away from XNA based on the articles I've seen out on the web.

What makes me interested is all of the services they offer that ENRICH the gaming experience. The XBL integration into the 360 made me really jealous as a ps3 owner in 2008. Their online community was just much more defined and executed. The absolute silence coming out of the Xbox team, and their super heightened security makes me think that there will be something I can't think of.

I'm not sure, but I could see some sort of streaming option like the PS4. At least Xbox Live knows what licenses you have for XBLA games.

I can't say I'm interested in the next Xbox. I had both consoles this gen and I was pretty happy with the Xbox, until it died (again) and Microsoft stopped providing proper 1st party support and therefore a reason for me to buy another one. I'm not a huge gamer anymore (I recently finished Persona 3 and it took me over 9 months), Forza and AW are the only MS IP's I'm interested in and my HTPC with XBMC does everything I want in terms of media capabilities (including Spotify, because screw Xbox Music). Still, as a tech nerd, I liked Sony's presentation yesterday, aside from the ugly OS UI. I was really impressed that they went with 8 GB GDDR5. Remote play with the Vita was cool as well, because the thought of playing games I care about in bed (I don't have and don't want a TV in my bedroom) is nice. From the looks of it, the PS4 is everything the next Xbox is, but more powerful. Pack in a proper FF7 remake at launch (sue me) and I'll be there day 90.

And seriously, unless Microsoft allows me to use my G27 and play Forza with it, they won't get a look from me. What a shitty bullshit practice.

Nope, it's PPC-based.

I can't say I'm interested in the next Xbox. I had both consoles this gen and I was pretty happy with the Xbox, until it died (again) and Microsoft stopped providing proper 1st party support and therefore a reason for me to buy another one. I'm not a huge gamer anymore (I recently finished Persona 3 and it took me over 9 months), Forza and AW are the only MS IP's I'm interested in and my HTPC with XBMC does everything I want in terms of media capabilities (including Spotify, because screw Xbox Music). Still, as a tech nerd, I liked Sony's presentation yesterday, aside from the ugly OS UI. I was really impressed that they went with 8 GB GDDR5. Remote play with the Vita was cool as well, because the thought of playing games I care about in bed (I don't have and don't want a TV in my bedroom) is nice. From the looks of it, the PS4 is everything the next Xbox is, but more powerful. Pack in a proper FF7 remake at launch (sue me) and I'll be there day 90.

And seriously, unless Microsoft allows me to use my G27 and play Forza with it, they won't get a look from me. What a shitty bullshit practice.

Nope, it's PPC-based.

Interesting.

The extreme dearth of interesting games from MS these past few years makes me think they have some big titles coming....but that might just be baloney. I want to see more interesting things like Viva Pinata or Journey or Fez. I get most of my gaming FPS experiences from the PC (SS2, Bioshock, HL, etc), and the Xbox isn't quite synonymous with JRPG (my second favorite genre) so the console has never quite appealed to me.

Interesting.

The extreme dearth of interesting games from MS these past few years makes me think they have some big titles coming....but that might just be baloney. I want to see more interesting things like Viva Pinata or Journey or Fez. I get most of my gaming FPS experiences from the PC (SS2, Bioshock, HL, etc), and the Xbox isn't quite synonymous with JRPG (my second favorite genre) so the console has never quite appealed to me.

It's funny you mention JRPGs, because Lost Odyssey is probably my favorite Xbox game and I absolutely hate that we never got a sequel and never will.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
It's funny you mention JRPGs, because Lost Odyssey is probably my favorite Xbox game and I absolutely hate that we never got a sequel and never will.

Yeah, I'm a big LO fan as well. Even though the number of Xbox exclusives are low, there are still more than enough games to play. I love Halo, Alan Wake and Forza, so that's 3 types of genres pretty well covered, plus there is a lot a great XBLA titles. Uncharted and Heavy Rain are they only Sony exclusives I kinda care about. Loved Journey, but I read That Game Company is going multiplatform.

Xbox 360 is Power-PC Based. Also, XNA is dead after April next year. They will likely bring out another Indie SDK (Read as: Direct X based IndieGames AppStore) so that indies can still make games as they have been able to for the 360.

The 720 really is mysterious though, why else would they heighten security so much on their Xbox Building if they weren't cooking up something insane.

Yeah, I'm a big LO fan as well. Even though the number of Xbox exclusives are low, there are still more than enough games to play. I love Halo, Alan Wake and Forza, so that's 3 types of genres pretty well covered, plus there is a lot a great XBLA titles. Uncharted and Heavy Rain are they only Sony exclusives I kinda care about. Loved Journey, but I read That Game Company is going multiplatform.

Forza is great, I really like the series, but it's only so much fun with a pad, when I compare it to GT5 with my G27.

Xbox 360 is Power-PC Based. Also, XNA is dead after April next year. They will likely bring out another Indie SDK (Read as: Direct X based IndieGames AppStore) so that indies can still make games as they have been able to for the 360.

The 720 really is mysterious though, why else would they heighten security so much on their Xbox Building if they weren't cooking up something insane.

Reminds me of the time before the Apollo announcement.

"It's a month before launch and they haven't told us anything yet! There must be a super secret feature they wanna protect till the last minute!"

Good times.

Forza is great, I really like the series, but it's only so much fun with a pad, when I compare it to GT5 with my G27.

Not to go off topic, but Fanatec wheel is the best peripheral I got for my 360. Too bad I just don't have much time for game. Oh I also love Lost Odyssey, to me it was better than FF13.

Beowulf28

I'd never have thought that Instagram is such a big selling point. A lot of my friends and classmates are interested in the Lumia 920 and they always ask me if Instagram is available for it. Microsoft should try to get it...

You'd think Instagram would be on WP8 by now considering Microsoft owns decent stock in Facebook who also own Instagram....

Xbox Video allows you to watch the movie while it is downloading just like Zune. If it's a big movie and your speed isn't great it might not happen right away but it definitely can happen.

I use Xbox Video quite a bit as they have actually have pretty good sales from time to time(got S1 and S2 of Community for like 30 cents an episode) and the only thing I hate is that it doesn't work on WP8 as I'm not getting a WP8 device until it does.

I've done some tests with my Lumia 900 and various ISO settings, and I've noticed that with the same scene:
  • ISO 100 images are generally noise-free at the centre, though there is still some noise at the corners.
  • ISO 200 is where noise in general creeps in.
  • ISO 400 has a visible amount of noise, though pixel-level detail is still there.
  • ISO 800 is just smudgy, with pixel-level detail lost to blobby stuff, and the entire image is covered in chroma noise. Even in full daylight.

I think it's the sensor, to be honest.

You'd think Instagram would be on WP8 by now considering Microsoft owns decent stock in Facebook who also own Instagram....
Just like you'd think Skype, who's owned by Microsoft, would roll out new features like video messages on Windows platforms first, instead of ignoring them completely.
Is it on steam? If so, I purchased it a while ago and have been meaning to play it...
Hahahaha ... hahaha ... ha ... :(
Not to go off topic, but Fanatec wheel is the best peripheral I got for my 360. Too bad I just don't have much time for game. Oh I also love Lost Odyssey, to me it was better than FF13.

The G27 was 120 bucks cheaper, there's no was I could pass on that. That, and the shifter is miles better.

MCD

ZDNet.com columnist Mary Jo Foley, as part of the Twit.TV Windows Weekly video podcast, has heard via unnamed sources that the Windows Phone Blue team is a bit behind the Windows Blue PC team in terms of development. As a result, Foley states that Microsoft is not currently sure if Windows Phone Blue will launch in 2013 or get delayed until sometime in 2014.

http://www.neowin.net/news/rumor-windows-phone-blue-could-be-delayed-to-2014

Always behind.

ZDNet.com columnist Mary Jo Foley, as part of the Twit.TV Windows Weekly video podcast, has heard via unnamed sources that the Windows Phone Blue team is a bit behind the Windows Blue PC team in terms of development. As a result, Foley states that Microsoft is not currently sure if Windows Phone Blue will launch in 2013 or get delayed until sometime in 2014.

1H0q3Lu.jpg

This is cute... after installing the update for whatsapp. The icon disappeared from the main screen. And the "Pin to Start" has grey'd out. What can I do?

Urghhhh, I always feel that I give my money to companies with such great ideas, but are ridiculously slow at implementing and pushing forward. Get your shit together Microsoft. Only two departments at MS seems to have their shit together. Xbox, and Office.

Reminds me of Subaru. Engineering is amazing, design department is full of turdburglary and will always hold back the company. (BRZ doesn't count, Toyota did most of the design work)

This is cute... after installing the update for whatsapp. The icon disappeared from the main screen. And the "Pin to Start" has grey'd out. What can I do?

Hold the blank space where it used to be (mine turned into just a red square) Unpin the square, then repin the app - they've changed the logo to a more metro-themed one.

MCD

Your messages are stored online in their servers so you won't lose them.

But I lost some of mine when updating so with WhatsApp, shit is random.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom