• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let's see, and I shall compare the 520 and 720 to my 900.

The Lumia 900...
  • 1.4 GHz Snapdragon S2 (Single-core)
  • ~165g weight
  • No way to remove back cover
  • No expansion
  • No WP8 goodies
  • Noisy camera
  • AMOLED subject to burn in

The Lumia 720...
  • 1.0GHz Snapdragon S4 (Dual-core)
  • 128g weight
  • Removable back cover
  • microSD expansion
  • WP8 goodies
  • Rather good camera (wide though)
  • Good IPS LCD
  • Semi-cheap

The Lumia 520...
  • 124g weight
  • Removable back cover
  • microSD expansion
  • WP8 goodies
  • Eh camera
  • No flash
  • Meh IPS LCD
  • Bargain basement

Seems like I might want to use the deposit when I'm able to take it back from my carrier to get a new phone... or should I hold onto the 900? (The deposit should total around $500-600.)

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.

The Lumia 720...
  • 128g weight
  • Removable back cover
  • microSD expansion
  • WP8 goodies
  • Good IPS LCD
  • Semi-cheap

Seems like I might want to use the deposit when I'm able to take it back from my carrier to get a new phone... or should I hold onto the 900? (The deposit should total around $500-600.)

How much built in memory does the 720 have? Remember that you can't store apps on the SD. Also, if you like and use Zune, syncing on wp8 will piss you the hell off.

Edit: the dual core performance on the 720 and ie10 will be a nice jump from the 900.

I'm not seeing any updates. But also, I think my phone almost bricked overnight. Woke up to find it at the Nokia logo. Thought it could have been caused by an update.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently

The Lumia 900...
  • 1.4 GHz Snapdragon S2 (Single-core)
  • ~165g weight
  • No way to remove back cover
  • No expansion
  • No WP8 goodies
  • Noisy camera
  • AMOLED subject to burn in

The Lumia 720...
  • 128g weight
  • Removable back cover
  • microSD expansion
  • WP8 goodies
  • Good IPS LCD
  • Semi-cheap

The Lumia 520...
  • 124g weight
  • Removable back cover
  • microSD expansion
  • WP8 goodies
  • Eh camera
  • No flash
  • Meh IPS LCD
  • Bargain basement

I don't think the 520 has a front camera.

PG2G

Tumblr

The highly anticipated official Tumblr Windows Phone 8 app will soon be available for all Windows Phone and Nokia Lumia customers. The Tumblr app will allow on-the-go posting of text, images, video, audio, links, quotes, and chats, and will let people follow and experience the world’s creators seamlessly through the Tumblr dashboard. Additional features include Windows Phone exclusive voice command integration and use of Live Tiles to display the Tumblr Dashboard.

Also, for the Foursquare users...

Nokia and Foursquare collaborated on two Foursquare app variants for Windows Phone. First to market, and available for all Windows Phone 8 devices, will be a version with new features, including voice integration, which allows people to use voice commands to detect what’s trending and to search nearby places. The app will be NFC-enabled for content sharing, friend requests, and check-ins. It also integrates with Nokia Maps for a seamless app-to-app experience.

Nokia will also bring to market a second version of Foursquare, exclusive to Nokia Lumia. This version includes the capabilities of the one available for all Windows Phone 8 devices, and adds augmented reality to enhance the discovery experience through Nokia Lumia camera lenses.

Nice to see some more apps getting voice integration and other WP8 features

I think I'll take the super-sized battery that is capable of wireless charging (720), then. Even if something's removable, I don't really see the point in phones. Cameras? Sure. Phones? Good luck with an external charger.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I think I'll take the super-sized battery that is capable of wireless charging (720), then. Even if something's removable, I don't really see the point in phones. Cameras? Sure. Phones? Good luck with an external charger.

I don't know if you ignored my post, but don't forget that you get less than 8gb of app space on the 720. For me, that's a deal breaker.

You're on at&t right? Why not just sell your 900 and get a 920 off contract? $450 minus what you get for the 900 is a crazy good price.

I don't know if you ignored my post, but don't forget that you get less than 8gb of app space on the 720. For me, that's a deal breaker.

You're on at&t right? Why not just sell your 900 and get a 920 off contract? $450 minus what you get for the 900 is a crazy good price.

I'm not on AT&T at all. I'm not even in North America. :3

I don't really use apps on my phones - I'm more of a media hoard. I think the 900 might be a better fit for someone else.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
My bad, for some reason I thought you had picked up a cyan 900 from at&t last year, don't know where I got that from.

carry on then, seems like you'd love the 700. Then again, do you want to be behind the curve again? A 720p screen or higher will at least not make you feel as inadequate a year from now. Tue 900 didn't age well, I suspect a 480p screen will really be restricted to the lowest of the low end by next year.

frontieruk

I'm not on AT&T at all. I'm not even in North America. :3

I don't really use apps on my phones - I'm more of a media hoard. I think the 900 might be a better fit for someone else.

ignore Van ;) , he forgets not everyone cares about apps or storage or screen res... I mean I'm still rocking the 710, I have 3gigs free but because of unlimited data I listen to new music for my daily commute to and from work so space isn't an issue to me.

as nothing enticing came from Nokia I may buy the new HTC One and succumb to the dark side... though I'm also pulled to the Z10 so I'm not sure.

frontieruk

I don't remember you on a WP7x handset, but then I didn't frequent off topic much when it launched, but I guess you're referring to WM which is a different OS, as WP8 is finally a different kernel, WP8 is never going to be as flexible as WM6.5 and I'll be honest I'm glad for it.

I don't remember you on a WP7x handset, but then I didn't frequent off topic much when it launched, but I guess you're referring to WM which is a different OS, as WP8 is finally a different kernel, WP8 is never going to be as flexible as WM6.5 and I'll be honest I'm glad for it.

and that's why i switched to another flexible OS.

There been any talk on the new Windows 8 Pro phone device?

http://seattletimes.com/html/businesstechnology/2020427789_briercolumn25xml.html

The phone I’m most curious about is being made by a little company in the warren of offices west of Highway 520 between Microsoft and Nintendo. That’s where a few dozen employees of i-mate have built a striking new handset with a 4.7-inch touch-screen display.

It looks similar to the latest jumbo, slab phones, but it’s a more potent machine inside. The phone runs on Intel’s “Clover Trail” hardware and Windows 8 Pro, so it’s a full-blown PC capable of running most desktop software.

Called the Intelegent, the device could go on sale this summer for $750, which is less than the price of an unlocked iPhone 5 with the same amount of storage capacity.

The phone is more powerful than most tablets. It has an Atom processor, 2 gigabytes of RAM and 64 gigabytes of storage. It’s designed to work with HSPA+ and LTE 4G wireless networks and have up to 10 hours of talk time.

maeh2k

@joebelfiore: #WP8 companion app for your Windows 8 PC: update available today. Adds playlist, ringtone support + video preview. Get it in Win8 store.

At least they are working on the companion app.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
At least they are working on the companion app.

Still have no idea how to make a playlist.

Edit: Got it. Went to WMP. created a playlist, dragged songs from my library to the list (including songs that already exist on my phone). Started the companion app and added the list. Seems to work fine.

Blog post with some stats

The Windows Phone Store has also experienced a significant increase in activity - the highest in our history - with a 75% increase in app downloads, a 91% increase in paid app revenue and eclipsing 1 billion transactions. We’re also seeing higher levels of engagement with the catalog (thanks to your great apps), with a steady increase to an average of 55 downloads per user.

The Windows Phone developer community itself is growing rapidly as well. Developer registrations are up by over 40,000 in the first 90 days since the launch of Windows Phone 8, and we’ve already seen 15,000 new apps that specifically leverage the new platform functionality Windows Phone 8 provides. All told, you’ve created a catalog of more than 130,000 apps and games – designed specifically for a differentiated Windows Phone UI and ecosystem. And we expect this growth to continue as the number of Windows Phone 8 SDK downloads just passed 500,000 in less than 4 months from its release on October 30, 2012.

Razdek

Banned

I wish the Windows Phone team wouldn't be so quite and just announce what they're working on so people know what they can expect feature wise. These stats are just for show and honestly not impressive when compared to the competition. People want to know what's coming up it's not like they have some killer feature that's going to blow everyone away. They just want feature parity of other OS's.

Next announcement is Windows 8RT Phone edition.

They could then follow Web OS and provide WP8 as open source to Nokia, since they are the only one updating stuffs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom