• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Both WP8 Metro and desktop apps are garbage. Though the desktop version is arguably worse. It has errors when putting things on. Then gives more errors trying to take stuff off.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Some of the improvements to the Nokia Maps suite.

Battery status
Map Features – select exactly what you want shown on the maps (fual stations, hotels, etc)
Quick access to route settings before you start your journey ◾This was there before but I didn’t realise clicking the icons between the map and the route details took you to this menu!

Clicking the speed in map view, gives you the option to change speed limit alert settings
updates to the offline maps
City Lens adds favourites tile (which in turn removes “famous”)
City Lens changes names of most tiles: ◾nearby –> All
◾food –> eat & drink
◾hotels –> accommodation
◾fun –> going out
◾sights –> sights & museums

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Both WP8 Metro and desktop apps are garbage. Though the desktop version is arguably worse. It has errors when putting things on. Then gives more errors trying to take stuff off.

The latest version of the desktop app doesn't give me the errors anymore, even though I had figured out how to fix them when they came up. Make sure you have the latest version, which I believe you have to download manually because.......I don't know, who the hell knows what is happening at the group in charge of these horrible abominations.

The latest version of the desktop app doesn't give me the errors anymore, even though I had figured out how to fix them when they came up. Make sure you have the latest version, which I believe you have to download manually because.......I don't know, who the hell knows what is happening at the group in charge of these horrible abominations.
At the moment I have duplicates of all my music even though the file manager shows only one copy.

Seriously. This is the worst aspect of the OS.

Edit: and now I can't uninstall the desktop app. Wow.

2nd Edit: had to use CCleaner. What a pain. Who's in charge of this shit?

MattDoza

The live tile for Twitter hasn't been working for me on 7.8 nor notification toasts. Have it set up to show notifications for just about everything. Nothing, after getting a few DMs and @ replies this afternoon.

I just moved to dragging and dropping, so much less hassle.
See, so did I. Then I started getting duplicates of everything.

Turns out I had the latest desktop app version. Pile of shit. WP love dropping rapidly.

Edit: For example. Right now, as I view the phone in windows file manager, I have no music. Xbox music tells me I have 1 album, which has 2 songs (neither play). If I scroll to the songs section, it says I have about 15 songs of which none playback. However, this list does not include the two from the album mentioned earlier. Nokia music shows no albums, but does have he 15 songs mentioned above listed in the songs section.

hwalker84

At the moment I have duplicates of all my music even though the file manager shows only one copy.

Seriously. This is the worst aspect of the OS.

Edit: and now I can't uninstall the desktop app. Wow.

2nd Edit: had to use CCleaner. What a pain. Who's in charge of this shit?

I'm laughing so hard not because its funny but because its so sad. I mean who the fuck thought that sync app was a good idea? I can't believe I'm using Windows media player in 2013!!

I'm laughing so hard not because its funny but because its so sad. I mean who the fuck thought that sync app was a good idea? I can't believe I'm using Windows media player in 2013!!
Finally got everything working. Not really sure what went wrong. I had so far successfully been using the Metro app, albeit I had found it to be pretty underwhelming. Anyway, after tonight's antics I decided to delete any trace of music from the phone. Removed then reinstalled the Metro app. Put everything back on and all is well.

Can't believe how bad this is. The Metro app is poor, the desktop app is worse. Even drag and drop has it's issues. Also found it funny that the desktop app can't detect content that has been put on the device by other means.

They really need to sort this.

The live tile for Twitter hasn't been working for me on 7.8 nor notification toasts. Have it set up to show notifications for just about everything. Nothing, after getting a few DMs and @ replies this afternoon.

Toasts work fine for me, but pretty much all thirty-party apps live tiles don't work on 7.8 for me.

I really like how the new Twitter app does conversations for tweets.

MattDoza

Toasts work fine for me, but pretty much all thirty-party apps live tiles don't work on 7.8 for me.

I really like how the new Twitter app does conversations for tweets.

I discovered the conversation view by accident. Had a smudge so I swiped down to clear it and down came the rest of the convo. Pretty cool.

Timan

Developer
Can someone tell me how to view updates for apps? I have to search the app store find the app and check to see if there is an update button at the bottom.

I remember in wp7 there was an update nav item on the store front. I've yet to see that on 8

Bullza2o

Can someone tell me how to view updates for apps? I have to search the app store find the app and check to see if there is an update button at the bottom.

I remember in wp7 there was an update nav item on the store front. I've yet to see that on 8
I don't think you can check for updates manually. It just appears for me. I think it checks for updates once a day, and if you're not connected at that precise time it will just check again the next day. At least that's how it felt like since WP7

Anyone ever take a look at the calendar month view and try to read their appointments?

LOL

Yeah I never found out why it's in a different language.

bananas

Banned
Yeah I never found out why it's in a different language.

I think it's just Lorem Ipsum.

It's not like you can really read it anyway.

In case anyone doesn't know what Lorem Ipsum is:

Wikipedia said:
In publishing and graphic design, lorem ipsum is placeholder text (filler text) commonly used to demonstrate the graphic elements of a document or visual presentation, such as font, typography, and layout, by removing the distraction of meaningful content. The lorem ipsum text is typically a section of a Latin text by Cicero with words altered, added and removed that make it nonsensical in meaning and not proper Latin.

I always like using Windows Media Player, it's interface may be ugly compare to Zune but it has a lot of functionality. I use it to make CD because it's better at putting thing in folder unlike Zune.

I have been just using WMP for my Lumia and frankly it works great.

I always like using Windows Media Player, it's interface may be ugly compare to Zune but it has a lot of functionality. I use it to make CD because it's better at putting thing in folder unlike Zune.

I have been just using WMP for my Lumia and frankly it works great.
I'm going to give it a go.

So I guess the former Zune team really is part of the Windows Phone team.

Not all of them.

But I really smiled when I unpacked my Zune HD and saw this

hQusQiN.jpg

and of course this little message, dedicated to a former team member who passed away during the development

Ti3RYsC.png

Such an non-Microsoft thing to do. No wonder they refused to see themselves as part of Microsoft. :lol

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Apparently Real Racing 2s achievements popped up a few weeks ago so that should be the game. Unfortunate it is not 3, but better than no game this week.

edit: I have a Zune HD and it unfortunately doesn't get the use it deserves.

jagowar

They really should re-release the zunehd as the surface phone (but increase the screen size). Still probably the best hardware I have ever held.

I think I have this strange feeling that I'm going to miss Zune a lot when I get a Windows Phone 8 handset later this year.

Did you guys miss it? I'm thinking very strangely about drag-and-drop, and Windows Media Player synching isn't something I'm too fond of, if only because I never did that.

I think I have this strange feeling that I'm going to miss Zune a lot when I get a Windows Phone 8 handset later this year.

Did you guys miss it? I'm thinking very strangely about drag-and-drop, and Windows Media Player synching isn't something I'm too fond of, if only because I never did that.

Yes, it's probably the most missed feature from the WP7>WP8 transition.

Whoa, when did you get junior'd and why?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom