• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sordid

I'd like the ability to install apps/games to a Micro SD card, I'm getting low space warnings all the time. I deleted some games and got to ~400MB free, I installed 3 games (~60MB total) and my free space dropped to almost 200MB. I really don't get it.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Yeah, I don't care about SD card support unless I already have at least 16gb for apps built in or I can save apps on the SD card.

PG2G

Nokia only? No Samsung or HTC? ...mmm.....fuck.

MWC appears to be on its last legs. Everyone is choosing to do events on their own schedule.

On a more depressing note

So much noise on WinMob, but Microsoft's silent on lovely WinPhone. When it had a terrible OS, it wouldn't shut up

Defects apparently need three OEMs to demand something is fixed before it is fixed. Since WinPho really only has four licensees, this doesn’t happen very often. Perhaps they should all form a union?

You don’t get any lack of enthusiasm from Windows Phone development team lead Joe Belfiore – to whom it seems life or death. But that just doesn’t appear to be reflected higher up the management chain.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
There is an app called Shrink Storage for people who are having trouble with the "other" category on their phone. Results may vary, but I was able to free up around 500MB.

Sordid

There is an app called Shrink Storage for people who are having trouble with the "other" category on their phone. Results may vary, but I was able to free up around 500MB.

Sounds good! Away to give it a go.

Edit: Went from 1.43GB of 'other' to 1.31GB. Was worth a try.

power + windows button?
I know we have screen shot now, but for the longest time that was was the reason given why we don't need one.

If you think what Microsoft is doing is good enough that is why they are dead last in mobile. What innovation they bring with Windows Phone have pretty much been copy by all the other OS, and here we are excited that we finally get screen shot I WP8.

How about working Music apps? I gave up my MP3 player for this. It can't even do that. yes, restart the phone, which makes the problem go away for about 5 minutes, then it just goes back to garbage-tier quality audio.

hadareud

The Translator
I know we have screen shot now, but for the longest time that was was the reason given why we don't need one.

If you think what Microsoft is doing is good enough that is why they are dead last in mobile. What innovation they bring with Windows Phone have pretty much been copy by all the other OS, and here we are excited that we finally get screen shot I WP8.

Well I disagree. I don't think that my thinking has any influence on the mobile race at all ;)

Also, I'm not excited by the screenshot feature in the least. They can remove it again for all I care.

I feel at times we're part of a badly managed one but at least here in Europe it's growing at a fairly decent rate.
Our new motto "Wait for Blue". Hmm, I should trademark that.

Sometimes I think if that rumor about Windows 8 Phone is true may be Microsoft can achieved what Google fail to do, where mobile will be just like PC and we just install whichever OS we want, use any hardware and any carrier and get update and fix on timely basis.

Well I disagree. I don't think that my thinking has any influence on the mobile race at all ;)

Also, I'm not excited by the screenshot feature in the least. They can remove it again for all I care.
Microsoft feel the same as you do. They have platform parity to 2008 Apple and that is good enough.

Many probably say the same about many of those thing on your list of wants but that doesn't mean the features are not needed.. Oh and if the past is any indication I am sure we will be waiting more than couple of months for volume control or screen lock control.

frontieruk

How about working Music apps? I gave up my MP3 player for this. It can't even do that. yes, restart the phone, which makes the problem go away for about 5 minutes, then it just goes back to garbage-tier quality audio.

what handset is that?

is it a hd7 by any chance?

MarkusRJR

How does Zune/Xbox Music work on WP8? Does streaming and offline play remain similar to WP7 or is it different? Also, is it easy to download songs and put them onto a microSD card?

hadareud

The Translator
Microsoft feel the same as you do. They have platform parity to 2008 Apple and that is good enough.

Many probably say the same about many of those thing on your list of wants but that doesn't mean the features are not needed.. Oh and if the past is any indication I am sure we will be waiting more than couple of months for volume control or screen lock control.

Listen, it's ok to want them to up the pace with improvements. It's also ok to want MS to be better at communicating what they're working on. At the end of the day that's what all of us want. I'm just finding that you're a tad melodramatic about the whole thing.

WP doesn't feel like a five year old OS to me. Neither in features and certainly not in performance. It gets a lot of things right. It also has room for added features. That doesn't mean we have to go mental about it. Not after we just had an update about a month or two ago and have just heard about two more updates that are coming in a matter of months.

Personally I just jumped on the platform in November and while things aren't perfect, the grass is certainly not greener where I came from. I've a phone that's really excellent as it is and everything that is added on is an improvement for me, and not a matter of sleepless nights.

Jallopy

Listen, it's ok to want them to up the pace with improvements. It's also ok to want MS to be better at communicating what they're working on. At the end of the day that's what all of us want. I'm just finding that you're a tad melodramatic about the whole thing.

WP doesn't feel like a five year old OS to me. Neither in features and certainly not in performance. It gets a lot of things right. It also has room for added features. That doesn't mean we have to go mental about it. Not after we just had an update about a month or two ago and have just heard about two more updates that are coming in a matter of months.

Personally I just jumped on the platform in November and while things aren't perfect, the grass is certainly not greener where I came from. I've a phone that's really excellent as it is and everything that is added on is an improvement for me, and not a matter of sleepless nights.

A reasonable, rational post? I don't cotton to that sort of talk.

Not sure why I am being melodramatic, I am not even asking for any thing to be added or crying for upgrade. I am just commenting on the general direction Microsoft is handling Windows Phone.

I see that you are still in honeymoon period, I am not sure what you were using before but current Android is in no way old and stale. Google has copy everything they deem necessary or good and add them to their OS while Microsoft seems to be going backward. Let not get start on Xbox Music or Video.

Anyway why is it that we need 3rd party racing game on Windows Phone when Microsoft own Xbox and Forza. The implementation of multiplayer on Xbox Windows Phone is lagging far behind. The list goes on and on about thing they could do with Windows Phone.

I have been using Android tablet and phone for the about a month and I still prefer Windows Phone for the most part but I would not hesitate to jump ship if Nokia were to make Android Lumia. At this point I am on Windows Phone because of Nokia hardware.

RM8

Anyone else feel like they bought into a dieing platform :/
It's rough because I have and Android tablet, and there are so many apps I'd like in my phone. But really, as an OS I prefer WP so much. So yeah. My next phone is probably going to be an Android, though.

Anyone else feel like they bought into a dieing platform :/

I bailed out before I got my account approved but I was lurking since the first thread Brokasten made because I also had a Optimus 7. Fantastic phone before the mango update, then the once amazing battery life turned mediocre and it had bunch of bugs.

My contract ran out and I went prepaid, was going to get a Nexus 4 but Google fucked up and couldn't get mind at launch but I managed to get a Galaxy S3 for 270 new, fully paid and had being on android every since.

I'm waiting on the platform to catch up in the app department but it seems like that may never happen

Razdek

Banned
I bailed out before I got my account approved but I was lurking since the first thread Brokasten made because I also had a Optimus 7. Fantastic phone before the mango update, then the once amazing battery life turned mediocre and it had bunch of bugs.

My contract ran out and I went prepaid, was going to get a Nexus 4 but Google fucked up and couldn't get mind at launch but I managed to get a Galaxy S3 for 270 new, fully paid and had being on android every since.

I'm waiting on the platform to catch up in the app department but it seems like that may never happen

It's never going to happen so you might as well settle. Before WP8 was released I thought they had a good chance to be the 3rd ecosystem and take over Blackberry but it looks Luke they wont even to that. I agree that the worst part is that they don't communicate anything to their consumers who basically wait and hope better things are coming soon.

PG2G

It's never going to happen so you might as well settle. Before WP8 was released I thought they had a good chance to be the 3rd ecosystem and take over Blackberry but it looks Luke they wont even to that. I agree that the worst part is that they don't communicate anything to their consumers who basically wait and hope better things are coming soon.

I was under the impression blackberry was doing terribly?

I don't know how you can't see that MS comes across as not giving a shit about the platform. WP indeed doesn't feel like a 5 year old OS, more like a 3 year old. I don't care how fluid the UI is, I would expect WP to have feature parity to 2010 phones by now. The noteworthy Portico improvements are
wifi connectivity and text reply to incoming calls, both features 2007 smartphones had.
At every noteworthy conference Joe gives his standard startsceen demo and the Windows Phone 8 reveal conference (consumer) was a joke. The fact that Portico came so soon after WP8 indicates that it was launch content that didn't make it. Thay's typical for MS, beeing late. Blue should have been WP8 Vanilla for Windows 8 parity at launch.

Microsofts are defined by "should have been" and "late".

frontieruk

I don't know how you can't see that MS comes across as not giving a shit about the platform. WP indeed doesn't feel like a 5 year old OS, more like a 3 year old. I don't care how fluid the UI is, I would expect WP to have feature parity to 2010 phones by now. The noteworthy Portico improvements are
wifi connectivity and text reply to incoming calls, both features 2007 smartphones had.
At every noteworthy conference Joe gives his standard startsceen demo and the Windows Phone 8 reveal conference (consumer) was a joke. The fact that Portico came so soon after WP8 indicates that it was launch content that didn't make it. Thay's typical for MS, beeing late. Blue should have been WP8 Vanilla for Windows 8 parity at launch.

Microsofts are defined by "should have been" and "late".

So you would of preferred the Windows blue at launch to be at feature parity, but there to of been no apps including the wp7 ones as they hadn't had a chance to develop the code conversion?

So you would of preferred the Windows blue at launch to be at feature parity, but there to of been no apps including the wp7 ones as they hadn't had a chance to develop the code conversion?

I don't understand why I'm have to choose? Obviously allowing WP7 apps to rum in WP8 was a priority.

Then again, wanting more from MS than they have already delivered seems impossible, seeing as they crunched to get WP8 Vanilla done in time.

frontieruk

I don't understand why I'm have to choose? Obviously allowing WP7 apps to rum in WP8 was a priority.

Then again, wanting more from MS than they have already delivered seems impossible, seeing as they crunched to get WP8 Vanilla done in time.

Because someone at Microsoft had to make that call, they aren't devoting infinite resources at the project, infact they probably have more people working on research projects that'll never see the light of day, so decisions had to be made on what would be best for the end user and as apps are apparently the way to gauge a mobile OS they invested the time required to keep wp7 apps working on wp8.

Don't get me wrong there are points I wish they'd just thought fuck it we sent wp7 to die anyway let's get this right, instead we ended up with a version of wp7 just on a new kernel, same issues some new ones added, I often wonder if they don't actually market test the OS, instead they just give it to the tech savvy in the building who instead of complaining about something stupid like separate volume controls just swap back to their competitors device so nothing gets fixed until end users and tech blogs moan about the choices made.

The reason we got Portico is because the phone keep crashing and reboot. I think that article by the Guardian said pretty much how things are at Microsoft. I really have high hope for Windows Phone 8, Windows 8 and Surface but instead of getting new excited about Microsoft Eco now I am rather turn off by it.

hadareud

The Translator
Some of you sound like jilted lovers to me.

We've gone from a 5 year old to a 3 year old OS now. I can tell you that the phone I bought in 2010 (Desire HD) did not have any features worth talking about over WP8. However, plenty of stuff was very much missing from it, compared to WP. That's what I mean with melodramatic, it just looks like some of you exaggerating the shortcomings to a point where you feel comfortable with your frustrations.

Reading through this is like reading through the ramblings of frustrated football supporters. Once the frustration sets in, all reason goes out of the window.

Instead of getting hung up on little details like always on wifi and this and that, maybe we could just wait and see what they have in store. If they ever do tell us.

Btw, here's an interview with Greg Sullivan at MWC. He talks about stuff. Doesn't sound like a dead platform to me, but what do I know. http://www.engadget.com/2013/02/28/the-engadget-interview-microsofts-greg-sullivan-on-windows-pho/

Some of you sound like jilted lovers to me.

We've gone from a 5 year old to a 3 year old OS now. I can tell you that the phone I bought in 2010 (Desire HD) did not have any features worth talking about over WP8. However, plenty of stuff was very much missing from it, compared to WP.

Better in 2010:
Multitasking
Notifications

Now, name 1 noteworthy thing WP had over other OS's.

That's what I mean with melodramatic, it just looks like some of you exaggerating the shortcomings to a point where you feel comfortable with your frustrations.

It's not about the shortcomings perce, it's about how MS deals with the shortcomongs. Do you really think that if anyone from the competition announced a feature tomorrow, people would bitch and moan for that feature? Again, we're talking about standards from years ago.

I don't even own a Windows Phone. There are people who have supported WP from day 1 and have every right to be frustrated.

hadareud

The Translator
Better in 2010:
Multitasking
Notifications

Now, name 1 noteworthy thing WP had over other OS's.

Both of those things are subjective.

Multi-tasking on Android was not better for me in 2010. You could say that theoretically there's WP apps that haven't quick resume built in, but about 90 % of the apps that I use regularly do, so not really. Hitting the back button to go to the last app is also faster than holding the menu button in Android and then selecting the app you want to use. You could also not quickly close apps in Android then either. So I don't know what's was all that superior tbh.

Notification, well yes, there was a notification centre. But if you set up your tiles the way you like, you already have a notification centre anyway (and I prefer the lock screen notifications and toasts on WP).

Limited to one?

UI/Live Tiles. For me, it is so superior to Froyo + Sense, it's not even funny. It has a much bigger effect on my every day use and the enjoyment I get out of using my phone.

Obviously subjective as well, but then so are yours.

hadareud

The Translator
One of the features android had back then that was truly useful was the ability to quickly toggle settings like WiFi, sync etc. That's not really part of a notification centre as such, but I would definitely give you that.

Both of those things are subjective.

Multi-tasking on Android was not better for me in 2010. You could say that theoretically there's WP apps that haven't quick resume built in, but about 90 % of the apps that I use regularly do, so not really. Hitting the back button to go to the last app is also faster than holding the menu button in Android and then selecting the app you want to use. You could also not quickly close apps in Android then either. So I don't know what's was all that superior tbh.

Multi tasking is superior because it does what WP does, but also more. I'm running a 2010 stock gingerbread ROM on my phone. I have WP's fast resume and am not limited to cards. I can also close certain apps with ease.

Notification, well yes, there was a notification centre. But if you set up your tiles the way you like, you already have a notification centre anyway (and I prefer the lock screen notifications and toasts on WP).

Erm, no. I'm not talking about the way you're notified, but the notification architecture itself. Having a number on a tile is primitive on WP.

Limited to one?

UI/Live Tiles. For me, it is so superior to Froyo + Sense, it's not even funny. It has a much bigger effect on my every day use and the enjoyment I get out of using my phone.

Obviously subjective as well, but then so are yours.

I limited you to one because you probably couldn't even name one, and the one you did name is as subjective as subjective can get.

I'm gonna leave it at this. Don't want a vs. thread.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Seriously hollow, you don't own a Windows Phone and you don't think it does a single thing better than the competition? This whole freakout is bad enough with the folks who actually own the devices, I think your last few posts are trolling. And I think up to this point you had contributed meaningfully, but now you're in full on unknown soldier mode.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom