• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.

zedge

Wonder if it has online multiplayer?

nm..it does up to 5 players cool.

Neat, my download stopped and it won't start again..error code 800ffff or some shit. Really helpful MS.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Wonder if it has online multiplayer?

nm..it does up to 5 players cool.

Neat, my download stopped and it won't start again..error code 800ffff or some shit. Really helpful MS.

Think there is some weird stuff happening. I played the trial, but I can't buy it now. Says it is not there. I like the game. I had to change the control scheme to the wheel, didn't like the accelerometer. Might just need to tweak the sensitivity though.

edit:

Game needs 1GB of RAM as well.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Maluuba looks pretty awesome. I've been lamenting the poor voice recognition lately, I want to be able to make appointments quickly and play music from commands when I'm in the car. This looks like it can easily handle both. I wonder if I can voice command for podcasts as well.

Just starting to mess with it. Seems to work really well.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Marketplace errors, so I can't download anything right now, :'(

edit: still getting an error on maluuba, and asphalt says its not available for my phone, oh MS, you so crazy.

Sordid

O2 finally sent my unlock code for my Lumia 620, yay! It's been sat in a drawer for 13 days :(

Now that actually using it I'm still annoyed by this 1.4GB of 'other' space I'm losing though, with the same pictures/music and about half the apps/games I'm using almost the same amount of space on my 620 + SD card as I was on my Lumia 800. I don't get it :/

Edit: No Tentacles on the WP8 store? I think it's the only game I've bought that I'm missing.

Edit 2: I'm deleting games and I'm still stuck at 250MB free, rubbish.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
From ZDnet

The Windows Phone division has gone larely quiet, as of late. This seems to be a strategy, given PC Mag's report about Microsoft's back-room goings-on from Mobile World Congress in Barcelona this week. "Shut up and ship" is the Windows Phone team's new rallying cry, PC Mag says, with commitments from officials to stop talking about new platform updates "months and months" before they are available.

Given that caveat, it's no surprise that we haven't heard anything about what's next for the Windows Phone OS from the team. Company officials aren't fielding questions about "GDR2" which is listed by UnwiredReview.com as the operating system powering the alleged HTC Windows Phone "Tiara," due out this summer.

Here's what one of my sources -- who has been in-the-know about Microsoft's OS plans -- told me.

GDR stands for "General Distribution Release." It means a product update distributed commercially. It's a naming convention that various teams at Microsoft have used for years.

"Portico," which was the Windows Phone update that Microsoft, handset makers and carriers have been distributing over the past couple of months, is considered the "GDR1" update to the Windows Phone 8 OS, I hear.

GDR2 is the next Windows Phone 8 update. If the leaks about the HTC Tiara are correct, that OS release should be done in the next couple of months so that it can be preloaded on new Windows Phones coming this spring/summer.

I hear from my contact there's also a GDR3 on the roadmap. I have no information on what's in this or when it's slated to arrive.

After that, it's Windows Phone Blue. Windows Phone Blue is the Windows Phone OS update designed to bring the Windows 8, Windows RT and Windows Phone 8 app models and developer platforms more into sync. Supposedly the Windows Blue update includes new programming interfaces, kernel updates and some user interface enhancements (though nothing too major on the UI front, I've heard).

MarkusRJR

O2 finally sent my unlock code for my Lumia 620, yay! It's been sat in a drawer for 13 days :(

Now that actually using it I'm still annoyed by this 1.4GB of 'other' space I'm losing though, with the same pictures/music and about half the apps/games I'm using almost the same amount of space on my 620 + SD card as I was on my Lumia 800. I don't get it :/

Edit: No Tentacles on the WP8 store? I think it's the only game I've bought that I'm missing.

Edit 2: I'm deleting games and I'm still stuck at 250MB free, rubbish.
I was reading reviews for the HTC 8S and pretty much everyone was having memory issues. There was random memory being used by "other". It made the phone useless because with the OS and this "other" memory being used there was no way to add apps or do much. It seems like an issue with WP8.

PG2G

Sooooo you're saying we'll have independent volume controls sometime this summer...?

Summer isn't that far.... you should be worried about whether or not that feature is coming instead of when the next update is coming. We've had to live with that for 3 years already so it must not be that high on the priorities.

hadareud

The Translator
Well it would be nice to have, but it's hardly crucial. I can live without separate volume controls for a few more months.

As long as they're committing to pushing out regular updates (and more frequently too), I think that's great news.

Everyone is going on about how bad MS are with their updates, but coming from Android the situation there was anything but great either. If anything it was a fair bit worse.

On my two previous phones (Hero and Desire HD) I had 1 update each, each of them delayed on a scale of more than half a year. And the features they added were hardly revolutionary. Both of the phones were so outdated and slow by then that they might not have bothered at all.

zedge

Ok I thought asphalt 7 looked good. Then I downloaded real racing 3 on the s3.. jesus murphy..I cant believe this is on a phone. I hope this comes to wp, cause I know it will look just as good on the 920.

MCD

Summer isn't that far.... you should be worried about whether or not that feature is coming instead of when the next update is coming. We've had to live with that for 3 years already so it must not be that high on the priorities.

Actually, it's one of the top requested feature in the suggestion site they opened a year ago.

Ok I thought asphalt 7 looked good. Then I downloaded real racing 3 on the s3.. jesus murphy..I cant believe this is on a phone. I hope this comes to wp, cause I know it will look just as good on the 920.

You should play Need for Speed: Most Wanted too if you want racing game eye candy out the ass. It was on sale for $0.99 a few months ago and I snagged it. RR3 seems more like a Gran Turismo for phones, NFS:MW delivers the arcade-style street racing experience.

Epic Citadel was released last month too, it's just a tech demo (and a 2 years old one at that) but it still holds up well today and hopefully it means Epic will finally commit to releasing an Android game.

Fjolle

I don't buy that. That would make the updates close to each other.

We already had GDR1 less than two months after the release of WP8.

Surely some people want to keep complaining that there is only one update to WP per year, but that has never been true.

We already had GDR1 less than two months after the release of WP8.

Surely some people want to keep complaining that there is only one update to WP per year, but that has never been true.

It just seems like MS's updates are "catch-up" updates. Nothing new, nothing major, just brining WP on par with 2008's phones. Wi-fi always on in 2013. Still no notification led. Those are effin basic features man. We have 1-2GB RAM phones and WP still works with multitasking cards.

MCD

It just seems like MS's updates are "catch-up" updates. Nothing new, nothing major, just brining WP on par with 2008's phones. Wi-fi always on in 2013. Still no notification led. Those are effin basic features man. We have 1-2GB RAM phones and WP still works with multitasking cards.

Multitasking cards that are limited to 8 and can't be closed.

Going back is not closing, I will never accept this shit ass method.

Multitasking cards that are limited to 8 and can't be closed.

Going back is not closing, I will never accept this shit ass method.

It's little stuff like that makes me think Microsoft doesn't give a shit about their position and don't realise they're beeing stealth attacked by Googled from every possible business direction.

Fjolle

That's totally not what i was talking about.

hadareud

The Translator
I don't know that they are "catch up updates". Some of them are, some of them aren't.

Since we're on the subject of updates, what would everyone's most wished for features be?

I'll start:

OS

- VPN support
- improve stability, make sure files do not go missing into the dreaded "other", other bug fixing
- alternative unlock methods, pin just doesn't cut it. Pay Google for the screen pattern or come up with your own thing, just give us something better
- make live tiles more interactive (ie, let me flick on/off wifi without being redirected to the settings)
- custom live tile update timings ("update every ... minutes")
- improved/integrated search. Take a cue from W8 and make the search similar, so you're able to search the web, files, other apps (including 3rd party apps)
- improved speech control, there's a lot that can and should be done here
- IE interface improvements, more customisation options
- 3rd party browser support
- release keyboard API's, I want 3rd party keyboards (I miss Swype)
- ability to keep lock screen on when charging/playing music (it's a pain in the arse to go to the next song while driving)
- yes, please do include separate volume controls

Music

- improved sync agent. Integrate it with the music app on W8. Improve it a lot. And then improve it quite a bit more. Or preferably, go back to Zune.
- wireless syncing
- include podcast management. Things are a shambles on that side.
- add videos to the store
- easier music file management on the phone
- better integration of the store
- better playlist management

I don't know that they are "catch up updates". Some of them are, some of them aren't.

Since we're on the subject of updates, what would everyone's most wished for features be?

I'll start:

OS

- VPN support
- improve stability, make sure files do not go missing into the dreaded "other", other bug fixing
- alternative unlock methods, pin just doesn't cut it. Pay Google for the screen pattern or come up with your own thing, just give us something better
- make live tiles more interactive (ie, let me flick on/off wifi without being redirected to the settings)
- custom live tile update timings ("update every ... minutes")
- improved/integrated search. Take a cue from W8 and make the search similar, so you're able to search the web, files, other apps (including 3rd party apps)
- improved speech control, there's a lot that can and should be done here
- IE interface improvements, more customisation options
- 3rd party browser support
- release keyboard API's, I want 3rd party keyboards (I miss Swype)
- ability to keep lock screen on when charging/playing music (it's a pain in the arse to go to the next song while driving)
- yes, please do include separate volume controls

Music

- improved sync agent. Integrate it with the music app on W8. Improve it a lot. And then improve it quite a bit more. Or preferably, go back to Zune.
- wireless syncing
- include podcast management. Things are a shambles on that side.
- add videos to the store
- easier music file management on the phone
- better integration of the store
- better playlist management
Add this too: Upload videos, send videos which are already on the phone.

hadareud

The Translator
It's nice to want things.

heh

It is. I want things, but I don't understand why people get so wound up about this sort of thing.

I remember the Hero update to Eclair from Cupcake. People went absolutely mental when it was delayed. It was a life and death situation for some, a collective cry of "give me the update or else". In reality the few new things it did bring (and really, there wasn't very much at all) weren't worth it because the phone itself was basically almost unusable by then anyway (even after resetting it).

Now we have the whole "Microsoft doesn't care about black people, I mean Windows Phone" stuff. Personally I fail to see that huge catch-up situation compared to iOS and Android. Yes, they have some things over WP, but then WP has things over them as well.

Lucius86

Banned
How about on the app switcher, add the feature so I can shutdown background apps by hitting a 'close' button for each one, rather than having to go into the app and then hit the back button?

hadareud

The Translator
How about on the app switcher, add the feature so I can shutdown background apps by hitting a 'close' button for each one, rather than having to go into the app and then hit the back button?

Oh yeah, forgot about that.

Pretty high on my list as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom