• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.

hadareud

The Translator
Ok, I'll give you some that aren't subjective.

- all conversations in one view
- ability to switch between different modes like text, messenger (skype), facebook
- facebook messenger built into the interface
- go to a contact, see their latest facebook updates, linkedin updates, look at their photos etc. etc.
- a useable music app built in
- music store built in
- built in location search at the press of a button
- a built in web browser that isn't already hopelessly outdated at the time of release
- office integration built in
- cloud storage and back up built in (skydrive)

I could go on, those are just the things off the top of my head.

Seriously hollow, you don't own a Windows Phone and you don't think it does a single thing better than the competition? This whole freakout is bad enough with the folks who actually own the devices, I think your last few posts are trolling. And I think up to this point you had contributed meaningfully, but now you're in full on unknown soldier mode.

Then why would I buy my mom and brother an Omnia 7? I love WP as a platform and experience. That's why I'm pissed that WP isn't quite there yet. I want to switch, but can't just yet. And I think there are many others like me.

I support WP every way I can, to a reasonable extent. I just have a spoken out opinion on the way MS handles WP.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Then why would I buy my mom and brother an Omnia 7? I love WP as a platform and experience. That's why I'm pissed that WP isn't quite there yet. I want to switch, but can't just yet. And I think there are many others like me.

I support WP every way I can, to a reasonable extent. I just have a spoken out opinion on the way MS handles WP.

You asked had to name one thing it does better than the competition and then you said that the only reason you limited to one was because you didn't think he'd find even one.

Ragus

Banned
Why can't I pin screenshots made by me to the home screen, but I can pin saved photos and camera photos?

Why is this OS so illogical?

Ragus

Banned
I want to pin single screenshot, not whole folder.

But I already managed to do it. I had to upload the screenshot to skydrive and then download it again to downloads folder.

It just works.

You asked had to name one thing it does better than the competition and then you said that the only reason you limited to one was because you didn't think he'd find even one.

Read again, I said noteworthy features. And I still support that claim. The list:

Ok, I'll give you some that aren't subjective.

- all conversations in one view Decent feature, I admit
- ability to switch between different modes like text, messenger (skype), facebookI don't even know what this is
- facebook messenger built into the interface Nice for the FB addicts, I admit. But, more of a service imo than a feature
- go to a contact, see their latest facebook updates, linkedin updates, look at their photos etc. etc. Agree
- a useable music app built in Service/ subjective
- music store built in services
- built in location search at the press of a button service
- a built in web browser that isn't already hopelessly outdated at the time of release what? are you mocking IE or support it, I can't tell.
- office integration built in Actual +
- cloud storage and back up built in (skydrive) service

I could go on, those are just the things off the top of my head.

That said, WP is pretty service rich. However, I don't care for cloud services, music store, facebook bullshit if the damn phone can't even blink a led when I get an unreal message. That's what I mean with features.

This discussion is going nowhere. I'm gonna leave it at this.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Read again, I said noteworthy features. And I still support that claim. The list:

That said, WP is pretty service rich. However, I don't care for cloud services, music store, facebook bullshit if the damn phone can't even blink a led when I get an unreal message. That's what I mean with features.

This discussion is going nowhere. I'm gonna leave it at this.

This is easy, the platform doesn't cater to the things YOU consider important. Like led notifications. And that's fine and that's why you have competitors, but you must understand that your needs aren't my needs, right? Like seriously, I don't give a shit about a notification led and yet the social cloud stuff I use incessantly.

edit: there is no platform that caters to every single thing we want, no perfect mobile OS.

Everyone makes fun of family room and kids corner and yet I use those daily. It just shows that each of us needs to figure out which platform we want individually.

Probably already been asked / answered but I don't see it... I'm looking for an app which can connect to my google reader account. I use Feedly normally, but it's not on Windows Phone. :(

I see Wonder Reader and Nextgen Reader with the highest review scores. Anyone with experience of those?

No matther how little of importance a led notification is to you, it doesn't take away it's a feature 1990's dumbphones had and there is no excuse to not support it now. Microsoft is building a house starting from the roof and add a piece of the foundation whenever they feel like it. Wi-Fi in stand-by in fucking 2013.

But whatever, I'm done here. I might post again when I get a WP device.

hadareud

The Translator
Probably already been asked / answered but I don't see it... I'm looking for an app which can connect to my google reader account. I use Feedly normally, but it's not on Windows Phone. :(

I see Wonder Reader and Nextgen Reader with the highest review scores. Anyone with experience of those?

I tried Wonder Reader and Nextgen Reader and they are ok, but the one that's easily the best is Weave imo

I really like it and it's one of 2 apps I have a large live tile for.

kharma45

i use NextGen reader myself, pretty good. Weave is worth a look too but i don't know if in ties in with Google.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
No matther how little of importance a led notification is to you, it doesn't take away it's a feature 1990's dumbphones had and there is no excuse to not support it now. Microsoft is building a house starting from the roof and add a piece of the foundation whenever they feel like it.

The excuse is that they consider other things more important and they're working on those instead. So, instead of led notifications, they assigned people to work on family room and kids corner. I'm glad they focused on those instead. You disagree and that's all right, but calling it a dumb phone feature doesn't mean MS has to prioritize it. They may implement it, they may not, but not until they feel that it is more important than some other feature those same employees could be working on instead.

Not a single person here thinks MS is moving too fast, we all want them to put updates out quicker, but there will always be disagreement on whether they should focus on copying functionality from previous phones, competing platforms, or working on new features. They are working on all three, and they need to be faster at it. Whether you focus on one feature and then say they are behind and they suck because of that one feature you happen to care about doesn't mean your preferences make sense for MS or all its users.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently

nextgen reader is great. Its on W8 as well.

Is a notification LED a highly requested feature? None of the cell phones (four dumbphones, an iPhone 3GS, and several Windows Phones) I've owned have had them. Is this another "don't miss it if you never had it" thing?

nextgen reader is great. Its on W8 as well.

Seconding this. Great app!

kharma45

Is a notification LED a highly requested feature? None of the cell phones (four dumbphones, an iPhone 3GS, and several Windows Phones) I've owned have had them. Is this another "don't miss it if you never had it" thing?

I had it with my Nexus One, HTC Hero and HTC One X but can't say I've really missed not having it.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I only had a notification LED with my old BB. Don't miss it. My phone is with me almost all the time so if I get an email or something I will hear it vibrate or ring otherwise it takes a second to look at my lockscreen.

ana

Nokia should do a semi official facebook app.. Perhaps then it would be updated more often than the one which microsoft made..

U2NUMB

Just got my lumina 920 yesterday.. upgraded from the launch LG WP and its light years ahead. LOVE this device and the additions to the OS

The one nagging issue and I am sure it has been mentioned is why can I not set something in the settings to keep my information about connection showing at the top at all times.. I just do not get it. But outside of that I am soooo happy with my new device!

kharma45

Nokia should do a semi official facebook app.. Perhaps then it would be updated more often than the one which microsoft made..

Or an app for podcasts seeing as there is still no proper support for it on the phone natively outside of the US.

Talon

Or an app for podcasts seeing as there is still no proper support for it on the phone natively outside of the US.
I don't see how this is different from the other platforms.

The third party applications completely outshine the native support on those two platforms.

MCD

Regarding the browser, according to the rumors IE11 will be released this fall or early next year on Windows 8.

So WP8 will get IE11 mobile no doubt. A one year update to IE is very nice and welcome change to the nasty 3 years upgrade the IE team was in.

kharma45

I don't see how this is different from the other platforms.

The third party applications completely outshine the native support on those two platforms.

Apple at least provide an official app, although the quality is debatable.

My point was that it is pretty shit that since WP launched only the US has had podcast support and the rest of the world has been ignored with regards to this, it's bizarre.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Slapdash Podcasts. Its on WP and W8. And has support for adding podcasts manually.

Edit: also this thread is annoying, might unsubscribe. Nothing but whining and bitching.

kharma45

I didn't know Photosynth could do those 3D photos, basically the PhotoSphere thing that is built into Android 4.2, mind blown.

Slapdash Podcasts. Its on WP and W8. And has support for adding podcasts manually.

Edit: also this thread is annoying, might unsubscribe. Nothing but whining and bitching.

LOL, and I am being called melodramatic.

Seriously if you guys think that Windows Phone 8 is doing just fine then that's great but many of us complain and whine and being melodramatic is because we do love this platform and we know that it is capable of so much more. It is too bad that Microsoft just don't see it also. Honestly I used to think that they get it and that they understand how important mobile is. After three years and we are still at the same place it is pretty disheartening. Most of you here just recently got into Windows Phone and it is new and exciting and I will said my Nokia Lumia is a joy to use every times compare to my One X and Nexus 7. That said there are still so much more that should have been fix already. Things like volume control, setting, notification center are nothing new. We have been asking for it since Windows Phone 7. Xbox gaming was another reason many of us jump in and Microsoft support of Windows Phone 8 is anemic at best. Now not only those features didn't get implemented we got host of new bugs and quirks. Phone randomly reboot, phone won't wake from sleep, many Windows Phone 7 apps doesn't work, Xbox Music and Video feature that is a total crap compare to what we have before, sync feature is horrible (not to mention gone are the wifi sync), and not to mention random errors when you play podcast or musics or even when try to just browse the store Marketplace.

If the platform is truly moving forward then we probably would not be loosing people to other OS and the marketshare should at least be better than a mere 3%. (Which for some weird reason Microsoft think this is something to be excited about)

Anyway, i am done ranting, it seems some of you only just want to feel like everything is great in Microsoft land.

QR%20Photosynth%20WP8.png

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
One of my buddies got a 920 recently so we started to mess around with Room's and I really like the feature a lot. Would be even better if the rest of our group had WP8.

Hi, any suggestions for a great shopping app that is cross compatible with android? Having trouble finding a good one that can be easily sorted (One Note was not working for us). Out of Milk would be a good example but doesn't seem to be on Windows Phone.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Hi, any suggestions for a great shopping app that is cross compatible with android? Having trouble finding a good one that can be easily sorted (One Note was not working for us). Out of Milk would be a good example but doesn't seem to be on Windows Phone.

How about Evernote?

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Other than apps I don't see how WP is horrible, love the interface, love how quick and snappy everything is as well. Just want separate volume sliders and an easier way to turn apps off other than backing.

That one thing is mind-boggling, they get it right in the browser, the way you close tabs is EXACTLY how closing apps should work.

Razdek

Banned
I was under the impression blackberry was doing terribly?

It has more market share than WP and I'll think they'll be able to hold on to the 5-8% because of corporate users. WP with 3% has a lot of work to get there and it this pace maybe another 3 years or to even get that.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
How is the Samsung ativ? Telus has a shitty selection of windows phone. I really want the 920 but don't want to buy it unlocked

I think it is alright. Messed around one for a bit. Nice screen, expandable storage and you can get Nokia Here map suite for it. The battery life is suppose to very good for it as well. Telus also has the Lumia 620, which you cab get outright for $250.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom