• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Razdek

Banned
LOL, and I am being called melodramatic.

Seriously if you guys think that Windows Phone 8 is doing just fine then that's great but many of us complain and whine and being melodramatic is because we do love this platform and we know that it is capable of so much more. It is too bad that Microsoft just don't see it also. Honestly I used to think that they get it and that they understand how important mobile is. After three years and we are still at the same place it is pretty disheartening. Most of you here just recently got into Windows Phone and it is new and exciting and I will said my Nokia Lumia is a joy to use every times compare to my One X and Nexus 7. That said there are still so much more that should have been fix already. Things like volume control, setting, notification center are nothing new. We have been asking for it since Windows Phone 7. Xbox gaming was another reason many of us jump in and Microsoft support of Windows Phone 8 is anemic at best. Now not only those features didn't get implemented we got host of new bugs and quirks. Phone randomly reboot, phone won't wake from sleep, many Windows Phone 7 apps doesn't work, Xbox Music and Video feature that is a total crap compare to what we have before, sync feature is horrible (not to mention gone are the wifi sync), and not to mention random errors when you play podcast or musics or even when try to just browse the store Marketplace.

If the platform is truly moving forward then we probably would not be loosing people to other OS and the marketshare should at least be better than a mere 3%. (Which for some weird reason Microsoft think this is something to be excited about)

Anyway, i am done ranting, it seems some of you only just want to feel like everything is great in Microsoft land.

I think that's the hardest thing to see if you're a WP user as it does seem like they're spinning their wheels and not getting anywhere. I just read that Mint isn't even going to do an app for it even though they had announced that they would a while back. It's this kind of attitude from companies that makes it feel like they'll never gain any traction.

Talon

without being biased, would it better to get the ativ, galaxy or iphone.
How could anyone possibly answer this question?

Are you native to the Google ecosystem - use Gmail, Gcal for everything?
Go with an Android phone. It's the best platform for Google-native folks.

Does a sizable group of your family/friends use iOS?
Then use an iPhone to take advantage of iMessage, Calendars and a host of other native features in the platform.

Are you a tinkerer and do you like to play around with your phone's interface?
Absolutely go Android. It's the easiest platform for this.

Do you care about having the latest applications?
iOS and Android are going to be your best bet.

Do you like the metro interface?
Go for Windows Phone.

Do you want to integrate your accounts from multiple social networks all into one active stream?
Go for Windows Phone.

Do you hate the idea of linking your online identity all together?
Well, it's easy to avoid this with any platform.

See? Windu's going to be mean to me now. :(

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Or if you would like to give WP a try consider the Lumia 620. Low cost but you get good performance. If you are not worried about the latest apps give WP a try.

Talon

Or if you would like to give WP a try consider the Lumia 620. Low cost but you get good performance. If you are not worried about the latest apps give WP a try.
I've actually been wondering this - where's the best place to get a 620 in the US? Is Nokia actually distributing it here?

i want to do a full upgrade. gonna trade in my old phone for a new one. really wanted the 920.
probably gonna wait fro the s4. telus sucks for phone availability

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
HTC Tiara leak

http://bgr.com/2013/02/28/htc-tiara-release-date-specs-rumor-351111/

htc-tiara-first-window-phone-8-handset-0_zpsbdca5633.jpg

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Glad to see that they are alive.

I should probably apologize to hollowpoint, in the time it took to film that they could've implemented led notifications.

Edit: anyone have a listing of HD games? Asphalt looks awesome and a welcome change from the blurry angry birds games.

MCD

My old mom just complained about her screen rotating constantly.

Joe Belfiore, why no rotation lock?

maeh2k

According to an article last week, there will be two more updates before that big one. Seemed very credible. The updates may not be that significant and more along the lines of the previous Portico update.
Some minor fixes and impovements, probably CalDAV/CardDAV, maybe they'll change something in the messaging app since they're killing Windows Live Messenger.

Commodore

Enjoying having Photosync back. Love that app. Also really digging Puzzle Craft. Remember hearing about it a when it hit iOS a ways back. Seems like the gameplay will get a little repetitive, but I'm enjoying it right now. Plus, free.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
We know for a fact there is an update with, if nothing else, caldav support. That one is coming by the summer when google is ending their eas support.

Also, I'm pretty disappointed with the stitching in photosynth, I could've sworn it was better than that, but maybe I'm spoiled by the software on nokia's panorama app, which is incredible.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Enjoying having Photosync back. Love that app. Also really digging Puzzle Craft. Remember hearing about it a when it hit iOS a ways back. Seems like the gameplay will get a little repetitive, but I'm enjoying it right now. Plus, free.

Cool, looks like it just came out.

edit: I really like it as well. Game also likes to use up my battery as well, lol

MCD

Was having some problems with my 920 so I finally decided to hard reset the fucker and oh boy...shit got stuck on an infinite gears screen.

Welp, it's under warranty so Nokia Care are taking care of it.

So what did I do next? Sold bunch of old phones and got me a Lumia 620.

I really believe this is the best designed Nokia phone to date. Other than a kinda slow touch screen (everything is slow motion after experiencing 920 heavenly motion plus) this is really the phone that SHOULD move Nokia back to the top.

Blackhead

Redarse
Was having some problems with my 920 so I finally decided to hard reset the fucker and oh boy...shit got stuck on an infinite gears screen.

Welp, it's under warranty so Nokia Care are taking care of it.

So what did I do next? Sold bunch of old phones and got me a Lumia 620.

I really believe this is the best designed Nokia phone to date. Other than a kinda slow touch screen (everything is slow motion after experiencing 920 heavenly motion plus) this is really the phone that SHOULD move Nokia back to the top.

I was actually on my way to buy a 920 off Craigslist, arrived at the location and the seller ran into the gears screen when resetting the device. It's a known problem and you can fix it yourself if so inclined. But it scared me away; don't want to handle customer service when my name isn't on the receipt :/

MCD

My 920 prior to this had battery and self reboot problem so it was the perfect time for it to self destruct.

Let the technician handle this shit while I go poor style 620.

kharma45

I was actually on my way to buy a 920 off Craigslist, arrived at the location and the seller ran into the gears screen when resetting the device. It's a known problem and you can fix it yourself if so inclined. But it scared me away; don't want to handle customer service when my name isn't on the receipt :/

Nokia, at least in the UK, don't care about that. The warranty is with the phone in their eyes.

hadareud

The Translator
I've had my 920 stuck on the gears after a hard reset and fixed the issue with the care suite and navifirm.

Was easy enough to do, definitely not a reason to return the phone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom