• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kiraly

Goddamn this thread is bitter lol

Was looking for a low-end WP8 device as I need a replacement for a few months (and low-end Androids absolutely suck), the Huawei W1 caught my eye. Yes I know the storage is absolutely garbage at 4GB but oh well, I don't use anything other than Whatsapp, Facebook, Twitter and a banking app. Do those work well anyway? Should I buy the phone?

kharma45

Goddamn this thread is bitter lol

Was looking for a low-end WP8 device as I need a replacement for a few months (and low-end Androids absolutely suck), the Huawei W1 caught my eye. Yes I know the storage is absolutely garbage at 4GB but oh well, I don't use anything other than Whatsapp, Facebook, Twitter and a banking app. Do those work well anyway? Should I buy the phone?

For low end go Nokia and get 8GB

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Why would Nokia invite eldar to a closed door meeting to show off catwalk? Did they really need his predictable "that's nice but you should put android on it" blog post?

Why would Nokia invite eldar to a closed door meeting to show off catwalk? Did they really need his predictable "that's nice but you should put android on it" blog post?

You mean this guy?

@eldarmurtazin: Stephen Elop will resign in the end of 2012 (begin of 2013 according to another source). So thats a plan of Nokia board. Short term CEO

man of science

Neo Member
Help! I have a Mac, use Gmail, and own a PS3/Vita, would it be crazy to get a Windows phone? I am mostly attracted to the Nokia hardware. The 820 feels amazing in my hand. Currently I'm using an Atrix 4G and before that I had an iPhone 3G. I'm also considering getting a 4S or the Xperia TL.

What other popular apps (Instagram) are still MIA? Most of my phone time right now is spent on Gmail, Facebook/Instagram, GAF and music. Oh and navigating.

Help! I have a Mac, use Gmail, and own a PS3/Vita, would it be crazy to get a Windows phone? I am mostly attracted to the Nokia hardware. The 820 feels amazing in my hand. Currently I'm using an Atrix 4G and before that I had an iPhone 3G. I'm also considering getting a 4S or the Xperia TL.

What other popular apps (Instagram) are still MIA? Most of my phone time right now is spent on Gmail, Facebook/Instagram, GAF and music. Oh and navigating..

I rarely ever use my xbox, own ps3/vita, used Gmail since high school, but never owned a mac OS.

Looking at the bolded, you'd be fine switching over.

(disclaimer, MS employee working on phone :))

thirty

Banned
I remember being in Mexico and seeing many Nokia Lumia 610s. Hopefully Nokia can keep it up with the new 520, 620, and 720.

Ad Duplex released stats showing that the Verizon 822 has overtaken the 920 in WP8 market share, at least according to their traffic stats.

PG2G

I'm not that in love with the community, I just need a way to take a picture, choose a filter, and post to Facebook.

How is media managed? Can I drag and drop music files and videos?

Oh, you're good then. And yeah, drag and drop is the optimal way to transfer media. I don't know if it works only on Windows though.

hadareud

The Translator
That's really great news.

Not because of iPlayer itself, but because it shows that the marketshare has reached a point where the BBC can no longer ignore the platform, even though they clearly were desperate to.

Hopefully that means that others will follow.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
That's really great news.

Not because of iPlayer itself, but because it shows that the marketshare has reached a point where the BBC can no longer ignore the platform, even though they clearly were desperate to.

Hopefully that means that others will follow.

I'm guessing it has more to do with Microsoft going after the BBC than the other way around.

And if this is coming to 7.5 it does raise the question of why it's taken 2 years for a friggin' live tile short cut app like YouTube. It's not even a proper app.

hadareud

The Translator
Yes I agree that it's to do with Microsoft enticing them.

But I'm pretty sure they've been trying to do that for a while and that the reason it's happening now is because WP has shown very decent growth in the UK.

As for it only being a shortcut, it's a start.

I'm guessing it has more to do with Microsoft going after the BBC than the other way around.

And if this is coming to 7.5 it does raise the question of why it's taken 2 years for a friggin' live tile short cut app like YouTube. It's not even a proper app.
Maybe they waited for Windows Phone to reach the 5% market share in the UK. There's no reason to put any resources on it, until it reaches at least that milestone.

We are definitely getting instagram this year.

They don't even want to develop a native app for the much superior BlackBerry 10 platform, so what makes you think Windows Phone is getting it?

Then again, "Official Instagram Viewer for Windows Phone" could be a thing. Sounds good to me!

MCD

We are definitely getting instagram this year.

http://www.wpcentral.com/rumor-instagram-coming-some-windows-phone-after-all

F1N9WpT.gif

hadareud

The Translator
So Instagram is coming?

I wonder what the next app that nobody actually needs or uses will be that everyone will moan about not being out on WP.

MCD

So Instagram is coming?

I wonder what the next app that nobody actually needs or uses will be that everyone will moan about not being out on WP.

Viper and Tango are still missing in action.

Plus most of the current apps need some ironing especially WhatsApp even after they just updated it.

Viper and Tango are still missing in action.

Plus most of the current apps need some ironing especially WhatsApp even after they just updated it.

Mint would be another one.

And like I said many times before, getting big names to jump in is not enough.

hadareud

The Translator
Is Whatsapp really that much better on the other platforms?

I hardly ever use it (only when I'm abroad), but from what I can tell the Android version didn't have anything that the WP version doesn't have. But again, I'm hardly using it, so I'm probably missing things.

edit: oh and I want HSBC to finally release an app, and SkyGo would be nice too.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
The yellow 920 is finally available on Rogers. You can also get a free wireless charger on a new activation. Rogers really likes to fuck the early adopter. I guess early adopter generally get screwed anyways.

hadareud

The Translator
So

- iPlayer
- Instagram
- important bug fix

all announced/rumoured in one day.

Now if only Microsoft would start caring about Windows Phone.

kazinova

So wait, if we're getting Instagram, which I still don't believe (or particularly care about); then what is the next single app everyone will point to to stop them from switching to WP8?

There's plenty missing but Instagram was the one that everyone used as the THING YOU HAVE TO HAVE, IT'S NOT A SMARTPHONE WITHOUT IT du jour. So if we do get an Instagram app, what's next?

MCD

So wait, if we're getting Instagram, which I still don't believe (or particularly care about); then what is the next single app everyone will point to to stop them from switching to WP8?

There's plenty missing but Instagram was the one that everyone used as the THING YOU HAVE TO HAVE, IT'S NOT A SMARTPHONE WITHOUT IT du jour. So if we do get an Instagram app, what's next?

Hmm...my guess would be specialized apps for certain groups like medicine or business apps.

I know I can't recommend a Lumia 920 to my brother without whatever medicine app he has on his iPhone.

There are also fitness apps tied to certain products like Nike.

Sordid

Apparently the latest 920 firmware has a utility to clean out temporary files, which hopefully fixes the other storage problem.

http://wmpoweruser.com/latest-nokia-lumia-920-firmware-offers-fix-for-other-storage-issue/

edit: possible camera improvements as well with the new firmware.

http://www.wpcentral.com/new-nokia-920-firmware-points-camera-changes-possible-storage-issue-fix

I installed that firmware onto my new 920 but I can't see any storage options like that (it could just be me missing it though!)

PG2G

I get the feeling that Storage stuff is from the next software release, not firmware. Doesn't make sense for something like that to be in firmware.

Sordid

Oh crap, I went into the settings of my 620 to do a reset so that I could give the phone to my missus and it won't turn back on, it gets stuck at the Nokia screen. Tried to flash it using Care Suite but it throws up an error that isn't listed on Google :/ am I screwed? I've only used it since last Wednesday :(

kharma45

Oh crap, I went into the settings of my 620 to do a reset so that I could give the phone to my missus and it won't turn back on, it gets stuck at the Nokia screen. Tried to flash it using Care Suite but it throws up an error that isn't listed on Google :/ am I screwed? I've only used it since last Wednesday :(

Take it into a Nokia repair centre and they'll sort it.

thirty

Banned

wanted to say Vine but after looking at some samples, they're horrible.

Nokia needs to release Cinemagraph on all platforms and make it social. If Nokia wants to make Lumia gif uploads a higher bitrate to make them look superior to iPhone/android gifs then that's ok with me to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom