• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3 Update 3| Please be excited

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heretic

You might want to try the standalone Xbox Music app, even though I'm pretty sure that one has a little bullet point at the bottom that says the Microsoft account should match the one you use for your phone. Typically all of the built in features (Music, Games, SkyDrive) are designed to use the primary Microsoft account. If you aren't sharing this account, you might want to contact support and see what they can do to help.

Kind of surprised it works on the Xbox One and Windows 8.1.

http://support.xbox.com/ms-MY/music-and-video/use-music-pass

Tried the standalone music app. No dice even though I log in with the email with subscription. No biggie.

Thank you :)

kharma45

I don't know. I feel like the Optimus 7 had a good physical button design.

fvzDm2r.jpg

I liked my LG when I had it. Always felt a nicely made phone.

They're not as sensitive as capacitive buttons. I never accidentally hit the multi-task button on my Nexus 5 and it's in the same position as the search.

You might hit them less than capacitive buttons, but it doesn't prevent the issue entirely and in exchange you give up some of your screen space.

I liked my LG when I had it. Always felt a nicely made phone.

Even though I had some issues with it, I agree. It felt good in hand, the aluminum back was nice and overall it felt really grippy.

KageMaru

Merry Christmas, phoneboys.

Merry Christmas =)

Hopefully we get GTA:SA tomorrow
lol

You might want to try the standalone Xbox Music app, even though I'm pretty sure that one has a little bullet point at the bottom that says the Microsoft account should match the one you use for your phone. Typically all of the built in features (Music, Games, SkyDrive) are designed to use the primary Microsoft account. If you aren't sharing this account, you might want to contact support and see what they can do to help.

Kind of surprised it works on the Xbox One and Windows 8.1.

http://support.xbox.com/ms-MY/music-and-video/use-music-pass

He should be able to edit his main email address linked to his Live account, along with any proxy email addresses he may use all on his live account page. I changed the main email address myself since my old email account was compromised.

dLMN8R

So, how is the standalone Xbox Music app supposed to work on Windows Phone?

I was in a pinch on a long drive the other day. I forgot to bring an album with that I wanted to listen to. I knew the album was on Xbox Music.

I didn't start my free trial yet, so I downloaded the Xbox Music app, registered for the free trial, all of which was super-easy through the app. Great!

I searched for the album and started playing it. But....wtf? Each song was playing for like 15-20 seconds and then skipping to the next one. I couldn't tell if I was getting previews or if it was glitching out.

It should have just worked, right? Or am I missing something in the app that wasn't clear?

PG2G

Sounds like the phone doesn't know you have the Xbox Music Pass. Might want to try rebooting it or giving a little time.

Does the device show up in the 'Manage Devices' page?

Heretic

So, how is the standalone Xbox Music app supposed to work on Windows Phone?

I was in a pinch on a long drive the other day. I forgot to bring an album with that I wanted to listen to. I knew the album was on Xbox Music.

I didn't start my free trial yet, so I downloaded the Xbox Music app, registered for the free trial, all of which was super-easy through the app. Great!

I searched for the album and started playing it. But....wtf? Each song was playing for like 15-20 seconds and then skipping to the next one. I couldn't tell if I was getting previews or if it was glitching out.

It should have just worked, right? Or am I missing something in the app that wasn't clear?
Same issue I'm having!

Sounds like the phone doesn't know you have the Xbox Music Pass. Might want to try rebooting it or giving a little time.

Does the device show up in the 'Manage Devices' page?
My device doesn't show up. At least I think it doesn't. It only shows one device and I've signed in on 4.

Guys my 1020 won't turn on. :( I had it in my pocket, haven't used it in 30 minutes, last I checked the battery was at 56%, and now when I took it out to try and take a picture, it won't turn on. I plugged it into the charger, and it still won't turn on. Won't do anything. I'm scared guys. :(

Any advice guys?

I got a New Job at a TV station and want to celebrate by buying a new phone! I take a lot of pictures so 1020 is the obvious choice, I'm only afraid that ill end up being Lumia 900'd with 8.1 around the corner

KageMaru

I got a New Job at a TV station and want to celebrate by buying a new phone! I take a lot of pictures so 1020 is the obvious choice, I'm only afraid that ill end up being Lumia 900'd with 8.1 around the corner

I think you'd be fine with the 1020, but if you're really concerned, maybe look at the 1520? The camera doesn't match the 1020, but I'd still consider it to be one of the best out there. They just need to update the video recording on that phone.

hwalker84

I get the feeling the next 1020 will come out with 8.1. I wouldn't do it at this point.

PG2G

I get the feeling the next 1020 will come out with 8.1. I wouldn't do it at this point.

I think we're due for a standard mass market phone (92X replacement) before we see a 1020 replacement. Though, not sure how it'll differ from the 929.

I agree though, I don't think id buy anything other than the Lumia 1520/929 at this point.

joshschw

I can't see them refreshing the '1020' line each year. From what we know they went through loads of trouble to get it working with the S4 chips, and a lot of that could have been avoided just by waiting for the GDR3 chipset support. Doubly so since the 1020 is just finally getting released in many countries.

I think there's a fairly slim chance it will be refreshed even within 12 months.

Magni

I was the first in the family to get a WP, my grandfather liked my Omnia 7 so much he got the same phone, my mom liked them so my brother and I got her a Lumia 710 for mother's day, and then my grandmother felt like she was missing out on the family Kik and all that so we got her a Lumia 620 for her birthday. I've been down south in Chile for five months, just got back to France for the holidays, and I see that my grandfather upgraded his Omnia 7 to a Lumia 1020.

So yeah, all that to say that despite me being the software engineer in the family, my tech illiterate mom and her parents all have better WPs than me :( I'm heading back stateside and that's when I'll finally upgrade (I've been rocking the Omnia 7 since the WP7 launch in France, October 2010), probably for the 925 on T-Mo. Should I grab a 521 instead and wait for the 9xx refresh?

I think we're due for a standard mass market phone (92X replacement) before we see a 1020 replacement. Though, not sure how it'll differ from the 929.

I agree though, I don't think id buy anything other than the Lumia 1520/929 at this point.
I cant wait for the 92x refresher. My 920 has just been going downhill since the screen broke. I really need that hero phone... And wireless charging built in.

Shouldn't have just said "There are none"

Speaking of apps, I just got a Chromecast and Google's refusal to acknowledge the existence of Modern apps for Windows or Windows Phone makes things less than ideal. (Ex: you can't stream Netflix without an iOS or Android device)
yeah, sucks but it is what it is. apple, MS, and google all have their own vision and agenda to push. we're getting some amazing tech such as Chromecast, apple tv, and Windows 8 casting to Xbox and Chromecast but it does come at a cost when the big players don't wanna play nice with each other.

Milchjon

Addicted to Rando again. Kinda seems to fit the Christmas spirit.

But no one's sending me pics of their Christmas tree.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
yeah, sucks but it is what it is. apple, MS, and google all have their own vision and agenda to push. we're getting some amazing tech such as Chromecast, apple tv, and Windows 8 casting to Xbox and Chromecast but it does come at a cost when the big players don't wanna play nice with each other.

I wanted a chromecast, but having an Xbox and windows 8, I can mimic a lot of that functionality. Plus the Nokia Play To app on the phone for casting local phone content and the Youtube pairing to send online video. Not perfect, but my needs are met.

Milchjon

Should we expect new, world-changing innovations every year? What were the big things for 2012, or was that a lost year, too? 2011?
Of course you're right, but 2013 felt especially stale.

Stuff like Surface Pro, Windows 8, Google Now or even just HD displays on phones made 2012 much more exciting to me personally.

maeh2k

Of course you're right, but 2013 felt especially stale.

Stuff like Surface Pro, Windows 8, Google Now or even just HD displays on phones made 2012 much more exciting to me personally.

2013 may have only brought incremental improvements, but those improvements were pretty great. I'd argue that on the Windows front 2012 showed a lot of promise, but only 2013 really delivered on that promise.
Windows 8.1, Haswell, Bay Trail. Before, Windows tablets were pretty much all considered too slow. And the battery life of the Surface Pro was a deal-breaker for many. Now we have some great Windows products at pretty good price points.

Edit: Incidentally, despite the improvements, 2013 is also kind-of the year that killed Windows on tablets. In 2012 Windows 8 was still new and the OEMs fucked up the launch badly, but it still showed promise and for a time it looked like it could actually reach the 100k apps by January 2013, but then it all went wrong. Android picked up steam on tablets, OEMs decided on Android for their high-volume consumer products, and Windows 8 didn't get any apps to the extent that it's still behind Windows Phone even.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Anyone have problems wish jetpac joyride quitting on the 520? My son can't get it to work anymore. App and phone appear fully updated.

hadareud

The Translator
The Weave update is excellent.

Finally you can backup your stuff, also seems quicker and the UI has been improved.

Milchjon

Can we create a NFC tag that changes various settings? I don't think we can do we ?:(

I think it's kinda restricted. I put one on my door for WiFi, but it only sends me to the setting. Can't toggle it directly, can't do multiple settings at once, always have to accept first.

I wish it ran Android.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom