• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3 Update 3| Please be excited

Status
Not open for further replies.

NeOak

What phone do you have? Mine is a Lumia 720! The thing is: I choose a song to play. It starts playing, and it takes a while for the "now playing" screen to appear, somewhat about 1 to 3 seconds (this is with the old media player). (Should I have my phone checked? Or should I change it?)

A 920 and a 1520.

maeh2k

Nokia released some Q1 numbers for its handset division: http://wmpoweruser.com/microsofts-new-handset-division-lost-827-million-in-q1-sales-down-30/

Unfortunately what that look offers does not bode very well for the future. Total revenue is down 30% YoY and 27% QoQ, and the division lost 597 million Euro ($827 million) over the quarter. While this loss is 10% down from the same quarter last year, the total is still substantial, on the order of Microsoft’s old Online Services division at its worst, which has lost more than $10 billion since 2005.

Financially, the acquisition and the continued Windows Phone efforts don't seem like a great idea. I don't see how Microsoft ever want to turn a profit in mobile. With the Nokia platform payments, the acquisition, and the continued losses, Windows Phone might lead to more losses than Bing ever did...

maeh2k

And Bing is still here.

I don't expect Windows Phone to go away anytime soon, either. They have the funds to support that endeavor for however long they like and really committed to the platform with this acquisition.
However, I don't see that much strategic value in Windows Phone. Bing is getting really important for natural language stuff and 'understanding the world'. Windows Phone seems like more of a distraction.

hadareud

The Translator
I doubt anyone would expect their new mobile division to be profitable any time soon.

People talk about "investors" and how they will do this and that and how they have this and that power. They have no power and they will do fucker than fuck all as long as overall revenues and profits are continuing to go the way they are.

There's plenty of MS ventures that aren't profitable in their own right. If they believe that they'll help the overall effort, they'll keep them going and invest heavily in them. Like Bing and Xbox.

Same goes for other big companies.

hadareud

The Translator
I don't expect Windows Phone to go away anytime soon, either. They have the funds to support that endeavor for however long they like and really committed to the platform with this acquisition.
However, I don't see that much strategic value in Windows Phone. Bing is getting really important for natural language stuff and 'understanding the world'. Windows Phone seems like more of a distraction.

That's the question, whether it has strategic value.

Considering that the world is going mobile (tablet and phone) and will continue to do so for the foreseeable future at the expense of traditional laptops and pc's (Windows), if Microsoft fail to get a foothold in that space, their operating system business will be dead sooner rather than later. Especially since the same move to mobile is starting to happen in business too, slowly but surely.

They could concentrate purely on their enterprise business and ditch their operating systems (for the most part). That could be very successful for them, or maybe not.

Maybe they'll be forced to do just that anyway in the not too distant future, but I think it's understandable that they don't want to give up their traditional core business without a fight.

hadareud

The Translator
Perhaps, but what's certain is that smartphone sales were down. That's the really concerning news from the numbers.

Not that it's a surprise like I said yesterday, but at the end of the day declining sales in a booming market are bad news no matter what.

MS really screwed up with the long development cycle of 8.1 (no matter the reasons behind it), it's simply a quarter too late. Catching up on lost sales will be a painful process and it's very possible that that one quarter costs them 3 quarters. Or worse.

Liberty4all

Banned
I fully agree with this article. I chose WP7 because of its social integration and now that's gone. I miss the Me tile's notification functionality.
Shit, I miss too the recent contacts in the People hub. I could quickly check someone's social or pictures.

Are they really changing the integrated Hub?

That's my most used feature aside from the camera (which doesn't count being hardware).

They are making a mistake I think. If they really go down this route I won't be upgrading and will likely switch back to IOS on my next hardware upgrade.

Its sad really ... For all its annoyances the People Hub and Live Tiles has been the saving grace of the OS. I love having my Family and friends grouped separately and being able to quickly see what's new. People not familiar with WP are always impressed (and a little aghast) when I pull up all their pictures from their SM accounts so easily.

hadareud

The Translator
Perhaps, but what's certain is that smartphone sales were down. That's the really concerning news from the numbers.

Not that it's a surprise like I said yesterday, but at the end of the day declining sales in a booming market are bad news no matter what.

MS really screwed up with the long development cycle of 8.1 (no matter the reasons behind it), it's simply a quarter too late. Catching up on lost sales will be a painful process and it's very possible that that one quarter costs them 3 quarters. Or worse.

Having re-read this post, I can confirm that I am talking out of my arse and that what I said is based on nothing but guess-work.

PG2G

Nokia has been making lots of stupid hardware decisions since the 520. The 1520 should have been the 930, the 1320 shouldn't exist, they doing have a phone competitive with the Moto G.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member

You should have gone Android.

hadareud

The Translator
Nokia has been making lots of stupid hardware decisions since the 520. The 1520 should have been the 930, the 1320 shouldn't exist, they doing have a phone competitive with the Moto G.

Agreed. Not having a successor to the 920 for almost a year and a half and then only releasing it on one carrier and only in the US was just silly.

No successor to the 820 either, the 720 being dead on arrival more or less, the 520 and the 620 apparently doing the same job, the strange 525 and 625 models etc. The positive momentum they had approaching the final few months of last year is completely gone.

There's a lot of work that needs to be done now and a lot of decisions that need to be made.

They should merge the 5&6 series into a very low cost device (which is what the 630 is, it's a good bit cheaper than the Moto G), have a successor to the 720 that takes on the Moto G hardware and price wise, bring out a higher end mid-range device (830), a 1030 etc. etc.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
there needs to be more options for the action center top buttons. I want battery saver on there.

JaggedSac

Are they really changing the integrated Hub?

That's my most used feature aside from the camera (which doesn't count being hardware).

They are making a mistake I think. If they really go down this route I won't be upgrading and will likely switch back to IOS on my next hardware upgrade.

Its sad really ... For all its annoyances the People Hub and Live Tiles has been the saving grace of the OS. I love having my Family and friends grouped separately and being able to quickly see what's new. People not familiar with WP are always impressed (and a little aghast) when I pull up all their pictures from their SM accounts so easily.

Well, that hasn't changed.

Razdek

Banned

You mean the amazing 630 doesn't do it for you? Low res screen, no flash, no camera button. That phone is Nokia innovation.

NeOak

Every time there is a Facebook update or something, it unlinks from my contacts. And I have to re-link most of them one by one.

Fuck this. Seriously guys, bring back the goddamn integration.

Edit: OMFG what is this? I have to seriously relink even the ones with the same name?

I'm going to see if i can return my 1520 just so I can go back to the superior WP8.0 People Hub with excellent Social integration and NEVER EVER UPDATE THE FACEBOOK APP.

NeOak

Well, that hasn't changed.
It has changed. Now you need to open the goddamn app to see the albums and pictures. It won't show the albums like before.

A huge downgrade and I'm hoping someone re-enables the old Hub functionality because its BS.

PG2G

You mean the amazing 630 doesn't do it for you? Low res screen, no flash, no camera button. That phone is Nokia innovation.

I don't have a problem with the Lumia 630 actually. There is a reason for a device with those kind of specs to exist (though I am interested to see how far they push down the 53X).

The 73X and 83X can slot in where the Moto G and Moto X are.

Razdek

Banned
I don't have a problem with the Lumia 630 actually. There is a reason for a device with those kind of specs to exist (though I am interested to see how far they push down the 53X).

The 73X and 83X can slot in where the Moto G and Moto X are.

Moto G sells for $150 or so and the 630 is in that range. The Moto G has an HD screen, flash, front facing camera, bigger battery. The 700 and 800 series are supposed to be mid range phones but they have low end specs and are up in the $200+ price range.

Nokia has to add more value to their phones but they're nickel and diming by cutting out standard features that are found elsewhere for the same price.

JaggedSac

It has changed. Now you need to open the goddamn app to see the albums and pictures. It won't show the albums like before.

A huge downgrade and I'm hoping someone re-enables the old Hub functionality because its BS.

He said see what's new, that is still there.

Every time there is a Facebook update or something, it unlinks from my contacts. And I have to re-link most of them one by one.

Fuck this. Seriously guys, bring back the goddamn integration.

Edit: OMFG what is this? I have to seriously relink even the ones with the same name?

I'm going to see if i can return my 1520 just so I can go back to the superior WP8.0 People Hub with excellent Social integration and NEVER EVER UPDATE THE FACEBOOK APP.

Thankfully, this hasn't happened to me.

PG2G

What's new is actually improved because the posts are formatted much better.

Once we start til see instagram and other things link in people will overlook the downgrade in interactivity

PG2G

Moto G sells for $150 or so and the 630 is in that range. The Moto G has an HD screen, flash, front facing camera, bigger battery. The 700 and 800 series are supposed to be mid range phones but they have low end specs and are up in the $200+ price range.

Nokia has to add more value to their phones but they're nickel and diming by cutting out standard features that are found elsewhere for the same price.

I agree, they need to get more aggressive with their pricing and features. My thoughts was that hardware support in WP8.0 was too limited to have as diverse of a lineup as they wanted so they were forced to do silly things to create differentiation.

I'm hoping that more that we have WP 8.1 with its much expanded hardware support that this will be less of a problem.

hadareud

The Translator
Yeah, to me it looks nicer. Formatting is better, images are larger (and they open relatively quickly in the FB app when you click them, btw) etc.

Yes, it's a downgrade in that you can't interact with stuff directly from the hub, but once more apps integrate and integration gets better, I think the new people hub will be a moderately significant upgrade on the old one.

Razdek

Banned
Yeah, to me it looks nicer. Formatting is better, images are larger (and they open relatively quickly in the FB app when you click them, btw) etc.

Yes, it's a downgrade in that you can't interact with stuff directly from the hub, but once more apps integrate and integration gets better, I think the new people hub will be a moderately significant upgrade on the old one.

I agree, the way they have it in 8.1 is for the best long term as we never got new functionality in the hubs so you had to go to the app anyway for those missing features.

Razdek

Banned
I agree, they need to get more aggressive with their pricing and features. My thoughts was that hardware support in WP8.0 was too limited to have as diverse of a lineup as they wanted so they were forced to do silly things to create differentiation.

I'm hoping that more that we have WP 8.1 with its much expanded hardware support that this will be less of a problem.

I dunno, I think Nokia is out of design ideas and now it's just rehash after rehash. What I don't want to see is them purposely gimping the lower end phones just so they can add it to their mid range phones. Things like flash, front facing camera for the 600 series which were already there in the 620.

hwalker84

Two feature requests from Microsoft.

• Horizontal notification center. No reason while I'm playing a game when sliding from the left over it shouldn't change orientation
  • A real Facebook app. They have to know this piece of shit isn't even close to the iOS app. I get notifications that people liked a photo I posted in a comment but I cannot view it on my phone

Bug fixes
  • My camera keep launching on the 1520 randomly. I'm playing Spades and all of a sudden screen turns black and the camera launches. Reading a story in Weave and the camera launches. Incredibly annoying. Finger isn't even close to the camera button
  • My screen doesn't always shut off when I receive notifications. Happens at least once a day.

PG2G

I'm crossing my fingers for the W8 Facebook app going universal. That over isn't bad and is actually done by Facebook

so i'm now an owner of a Lumia 2520 that i bought used off eBay for $300. att is running a promo where if you add a tablet to your mobile shared plan you get $100 bill credit after 45 days of service. on top of that you can get an additional $100 bill credit for agreeing to a 2 yr term. awesome deal especially since att is only charging $10 a month for adding the tablet to your plan. that would make their service equivalent to $40 for 2 yrs of LTE data after the the $200 bill credit. that $10 is of course in addition to your existing mobile shared plan with your smartphone.

impressions with 1 day of the 2520? awesome device. i was really worried i'd regret purchasing it since the WP Central 2520 forum is dead and there's little activity on there beside a few people complaining about a black screen of death, and other little bugs. thankfully my used 2520 was in perfect working condition. it upgraded to 8.1 fine and everything is running silky smooth. my pc is on 8.1 but it's a non touch screen laptop so i never really dug into Windows 8's touch gestures, etc. so coming from Windows Phone 8 i can say that there's a lot to love about both UI's but i can't wait to see the OS's finally merge so we can get the best of each OS. for example, when i'm using the RT device i miss the 3 little dots on apps to pull up settings, also i miss Phone's new pull down menu for quick access to WiFi, LTE, etc. i would also love to see Phone pick up the tablet's ability to multitask, snap apps, kill apps, etc. IE Metro is by far the best mobile browser i've used. every website with some type of video has played on the tablet; even amazon prime. my phone bookmarks also carried over to the tablet. so far the only complaint is that the glass sucks up grease from your fingers. a high quality screen protector should correct that. can't wait to get my usb 3.0/HDMI cables/adapters. let me know if you have any questions about the 2520.

Razdek

Banned
A real Facebook app. They have to know this piece of shit isn't even close to the iOS app. I get notifications that people liked a photo I posted in a comment but I cannot view it on my phone

This so much. When you compare the Facebook apps on the platforms the WP one is so behind it isn't even funny. The android app is really slick and performance,functionality and aesthetics are on another level.

MarkusRJR

The Lumia 5250 sounds nice apart from the finger grease part. My Lumia 625 has that (no oleo-phobic coating) and it annoys me off when outside since it greatly reduces visibility. It'd bother me to no end on a tablet.

Speaking of tablets, I'm kind of looking for an upgrade to my Surface RT. I bought an android tablet for school and to share with my dad who doesn't understand computers, but I really miss Windows RT's multitasking. My Surface RT's browser freezes and lags insanely on YouTube's website and when watching videos. I kind of want a Surface 2 for the performance boost but it's super expensive.

I heard they were doing a mini Surface. Was there any news on that or just bad rumors? I might end up going that route if the specs are better than the original RT.

hwalker84

The Lumia 5250 sounds nice apart from the finger grease part. My Lumia 625 has that (no oleo-phobic coating) and it annoys me off when outside since it greatly reduces visibility. It'd bother me to no end on a tablet.

Speaking of tablets, I'm kind of looking for an upgrade to my Surface RT. I bought an android tablet for school and to share with my dad who doesn't understand computers, but I really miss Windows RT's multitasking. My Surface RT's browser freezes and lags insanely on YouTube's website and when watching videos. I kind of want a Surface 2 for the performance boost but it's super expensive.

I heard they were doing a mini Surface. Was there any news on that or just bad rumors? I might end up going that route if the specs are better than the original RT.

Surface Mini accessories leaked on Amazon a few days ago. It's definitely coming.

MarkusRJR

Surface Mini accessories leaked on Amazon a few days ago. It's definitely coming.
Oh sweet. I'm assuming it'll be something like $250, keeping the pricing scheme of $50 below the apple equivalent (32gb vs 16gb iPad). When is it probably coming out? Q4 2014 or maybe sooner?

MarkusRJR

Rumors are next month.
Oh really? Awesome. I was really tempted to save up and get the Surface 2. Now I'll wait for the Mini. I'm assuming the keyboard aspect will disappear, but hopefully the kick stand remains. It's honestly my favorite part of the Surface apart from it's incredible build quality.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom