• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3 Update 3| Please be excited

Status
Not open for further replies.

dLMN8R

My reading list of choice has been IFTTT combined with OneNote. Whether I'm using Twitter, YouTube watch later, Feedly, or any other service, I can combine all my stuff to read/watch later right into OneNote - and in most cases, IFTTT can grab screenshots of the full web pages too rather than just links.

Posted this in the Surface thread and thought I'd bring this up here due to the merger.
Fellow Windows tablets users, I'm a new Lumia 2520 owner and absolutely love it.

IE Modern (aka IE Metro) is by far the best mobile browse available. Several apps that Windows 8 are lacking or flat out suck are available via browser then pinned to the start screen making for a solid solution on a 10" touch screen. BTW, these apps include facebook, yelp, Spotify, amazon prime video, amazon cloud player, Pandora, and party loud.

That said, are there any solutions for those mobile apps not available on Windows 8 or website like Instagram, Vine, Tinder, and Snapchat? These apps don't matter much to be but are deal breakers for many.

Do you guys feel MS doesn't even care? Meaning why try to court devs to bring apps to W8 RT tablets since they'll be merged to Phone anyway?

Then again, it's not like x86 tablets don't need those missing mobile apps.

MS seems fucked when I look at it that way.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I don't really see the point of Reading List. Why would I use it over Pocket?

I don't know why you would use it, but for me it's convenience. I have a phone, surface and two win 8 machines so its easy for me to use the built in share feature rather than a third party service. My reading list isn't long anyway, maybe if I used it a ton I'd need expert features or whatever.

Question!

In W8.1 the onedrive app is really special, since not only it implements the file picker, but is also somewhat tied to the file system, so apps can stream files on the cloud as they were local.

Did Ms say anything about a similar behavior on Wp8.1 or even a future update? It would be pretty awesome if other apps could just access my photos and videos there and stream them, unlike the usual: go to onedrive, download the file, open in another app.

Windows 8's Reading List is now useful (for me)! Windows Reading List comes to Windows Phone 8.1

Download link.

Great! Been waiting a lot for this!

My reading list of choice has been IFTTT combined with OneNote. Whether I'm using Twitter, YouTube watch later, Feedly, or any other service, I can combine all my stuff to read/watch later right into OneNote - and in most cases, IFTTT can grab screenshots of the full web pages too rather than just links.

Tell me more!

maeh2k

I don't know why you would use it, but for me it's convenience. I have a phone, surface and two win 8 machines so its easy for me to use the built in share feature rather than a third party service. My reading list isn't long anyway, maybe if I used it a ton I'd need expert features or whatever.

For me the big feature is offline articles. With the Surface I don't have internet on the go. As long as Reading List doesn't provide that, it's not an option for me. But even in terms of convenience, I don't think I'd go with Reading List. With Pocket I use Opera/Chrome plugins to save articles to Pocket and the WinRT app I use supports the Share charm as well.
From everything I've read about Reading List it seems like a somewhat limited subset of Pocket.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
For me the big feature is offline articles. With the Surface I don't have internet on the go.

That's what the phone is for. In my case, the surface barely ever leaves the house. Although I'm looking at the surface 2 lte with that Microsoft store deal.

So I've been noticing that my battery life has actually gives up with Windows Phone 8.1. It's actually pretty nice for change.

... Also since I've gotten used to WordFlow, I don't think I can every go back to the old way of Peking away at keys at keys.

MarkusRJR

I am so bipolar in my love/hate of my Lumia 625. My phone can theoretically do what I want it to do, but slight annoyances (both hardware and software) can bother me to no end.

I might give the Reading List app a try but I'm pretty happy with Poki + the IE Pocket plugin.
I'm a huge Pocket user (connects with my Kobo seamlessly); what's the IE Pocket plug-in? Sounds like it'd be useful if it is what I think it is.

Magni

So Facebook has one engineer who loves WP and has been singlehandedly making Messenger for Windows Phone. That guy is my hero.

Also, the recent update for iOS and Android is coming out "in the coming weeks".

dLMN8R

Tell me more!

Feedly: https://ifttt.com/recipes/155275-send-feedly-articles-saved-for-later-to-onenote
Twitter: https://ifttt.com/recipes/155270-send-favorite-tweets-to-onenote
YouTube: https://ifttt.com/recipes/169305-send-watch-later-video-links-to-onenote

For every new item you favorite, save for later, etc. it'll create a new page in OneNote. For most web sites, IFTTT will actually automatically render the site, take a screenshot of it, and put it on the new OneNote page - meaning you can read the article without actually following the link.

For the rest, you just click the links in the saved OneNote pages and they'll open in your default browser.

hwalker84

Facebook app continues to fail me.

Tried to upload a picture. Kept failing. Turned off WiFi and with 5 bars of LTE still didn't work. Soft reset my phone still wouldn't upload. Logged out and logged on and still didn't work.

Magni

9GlylKF.png

Lol

bkw

Itching for a new device to play with and I'm looking at an 8GB 8x. How much space is available after the OS?

MarkusRJR

How is Xbox Video? I usually only rent from there (since I usually buy blu rays), but I was thinking of starting a digital collection. Is Xbox Video a decent choice to go with that won't disappear in a few years?

I'd normally go to iTunes for stuff like digital content, but I switched over to MS products two years back (WP, Surface, Xbox, etc). What do you guys recommend?

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
How is Xbox Video? I usually only rent from there (since I usually buy blu rays), but I was thinking of starting a digital collection. Is Xbox Video a decent choice to go with that won't disappear in a few years?

I'd normally go to iTunes for stuff like digital content, but I switched over to MS products two years back (WP, Surface, Xbox, etc). What do you guys recommend?

I have been using it for several years now and I like it. I don't see it going anywhere anytime soon and you can download the shows/movies for offline play. I picked up some movies last night actually that were on sale. Got the Worlds End for $10.

Also I love Netflix, but in Canada we don't get a lot of stuff, or it is much later and content will go away as well. Plus no offline play if you are traveling.

hadareud

The Translator
Yeah, Xbox video is good. It's fast and the picture quality is very good.

It's a shame that their smartglass releases are a bit half arsed. A few short videos are not worth the cost of buying the film. They should come with all the blu-ray extras. So I only use it for renting the most recent films. It's nice for offline play like the Schuster said, I usually always rent a few films before going on holiday and then I watch them on the flight or when hungover.

Netflix is good, but its library is still quite limited. But then, there's a lot of TV stuff which is convenient. And my girlfriend loves it for the obscure chick-flicks that are on there. I also get Amazon instant video with prime and it's ok. The app isn't the best and the library is even more limited than Netflix. And I don't think there's a windows app yet.

MarkusRJR

Netflix is steaming garbage in Canada unfortunately. B movies and TV shows are basically it, apart from like 10 newer movies that are constantly shuffled out monthly (it feels like).
I have been using it for several years now and I like it. I don't see it going anywhere anytime soon and you can download the shows/movies for offline play. I picked up some movies last night actually that were on sale. Got the Worlds End for $10.

Also I love Netflix, but in Canada we don't get a lot of stuff, or it is much later and content will go away as well. Plus no offline play if you are traveling.
Okay, sounds good. I was just about to buy a movie off iTunes and realized there would be no devices in my house I could stream it to, lol.

n64coder

Itching for a new device to play with and I'm looking at an 8GB 8x. How much space is available after the OS?

If you're looking for a new device, I would recommend the 1020. I just got one recently and love it.

My previous phone was 620 which had 8GB and microSD card support. I think the phone had about 4GB of space but I could be mistaken.

The Flash

Banned
I'm still having problems with receiving links in texts. It still says "getting media content" even when try to send or receive group texts. I have group text on and I've turned wifi off so I'm not sure what the deal is.

Feedly: https://ifttt.com/recipes/155275-send-feedly-articles-saved-for-later-to-onenote
YouTube: https://ifttt.com/recipes/169305-send-watch-later-video-links-to-onenote

For every new item you favorite, save for later, etc. it'll create a new page in OneNote. For most web sites, IFTTT will actually automatically render the site, take a screenshot of it, and put it on the new OneNote page - meaning you can read the article without actually following the link.

For the rest, you just click the links in the saved OneNote pages and they'll open in your default browser.

Wow, that's amazing. Thank you!

maeh2k

I'll give it a try. I'd like to use OneNote for more stuff anyway.

Sordid

After 8.1 I'm noticing apps often take longer to resume than a cold start, is it the same for anyone?

Yup. I sometimes get a 'resuming' screen straight after unlocking my phone even if I don't have apps running too which is weird.

Has anyone else had issues with the light sensor on their 920s? I've had it repaired twice because the phone stopped switching my screen off during calls but each time a few weeks after repair the issue came back. What's odd is the sensor seems to work fine for auto brightness, it adjusts my screen so I can read it in the sun and and dims it in the dark so I don't know what's going on.

kazinova

I'm still having problems with receiving links in texts. It still says "getting media content" even when try to send or receive group texts. I have group text on and I've turned wifi off so I'm not sure what the deal is.

My wife is getting something akin to this. She can't seem to get media messages.

KageMaru

I searched but didn't find any threads dedicated to Xbox Music, which isn't surprising.

Is there any way to view your music download history from Xbox music? I deleted an album from my phone because it was showing up twice, one as the downloaded songs and again as the streaming album preview (don't know how else to explain it). Well now when I look at the album in the music store, there's no indication I own it. I already had one issue where I was was charged for the album and had to make multiple calls to MS to get a refund. I generally don't have an issue with the music app, but the music store seems to be shit. Don't understand why it's separate from the store either.

The album I'm having issues with is the Marshall Mathers LP2 album that was given away for free last year if that helps.

Thanks in advanced for any replies.

Has anyone else had issues with the light sensor on their 920s? I've had it repaired twice because the phone stopped switching my screen off during calls but each time a few weeks after repair the issue came back. What's odd is the sensor seems to work fine for auto brightness, it adjusts my screen so I can read it in the sun and and dims it in the dark so I don't know what's going on.

The problem is with your proximity sensor, not your light sensor.

Magni

How do I project my screen onto a Windows VM running in Parallels on a Mac? If MS want Silicon Valley companies to start making WP versions of their apps they should really get their dev tools working easily on Macs.

Don't know if anyone else is experiencing this, but what seems to be a bug with the word flow keyboard crashes my phone a few times a day.

LF, you guys aware of a possible bug with this?

Don't know if anyone else is experiencing this, but what seems to be a bug with the word flow keyboard crashes my phone a few times a day.

LF, you guys aware of a possible bug with this?

what's happening? I don't know whether the team knows about it (because I haven't heard/had it happen to me). If it isn't known I'll let it be known

Also: The stickers will be sent out this weekend. I was hoping to get some stuff at our ship party (like during Mango), so I was holding off for a while..but unfortunately nope :(

KageMaru

Windows 8.1 is screwing up my Lumia Icon. The power button becomes unresponsive. Resetting the phone only temporarily fixes it.

Yeah it takes 5 or more seconds until my screen turns on after hitting the button.

Does Xbox video work on your Icon? There seems to be a good number of reviews about 8.1 breaking the app, including mine.

This has probably been asked before but is there still a ME tile? Not as u useful in 8.1 but I'd still like it.

Yeah there's still a Me tile and it functions the same way in most respects. The notification portion was removed for obvious reasons though.

what's happening? I don't know whether the team knows about it (because I haven't heard/had it happen to me). If it isn't known I'll let it be known

Also: The stickers will be sent out this weekend. I was hoping to get some stuff at our ship party (like during Mango), so I was holding off for a while..but unfortunately nope :(

I'll be typing via word flow (in a variety of apps, including native ones such as Messaging) and it will freeze, with the flow streak frozen across the screen. It'll hold like that for a few seconds and then the phone will restart.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom