• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3 Update 3| Please be excited

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I'm a big fan of the Surface products, apart from the poor performance of the RT (which is generally fine for most tasks). Really enjoying my Pro.

PG2G

I think they've already pissed off developers a long time ago. Dropping Silverlight, XNA, going with JavaScript and HTML 5 for app development instead of .NET for W8 and now wp api changes.

HTML5 is just an option, .NET I'd still there. Agreed on the others though, this is the third time they have made substantial API changes

This Lumia 2520 has made me believe in the RT platform. App situation is worse than WP but the browser makes up for it. I have my phone's browser favorites as well as my favorite bar from my laptop. Every single site I've tried has worked great including amazon prime video, amazon MP3 cloud player, Spotify, Pandora, and partycloud (although this runs a slight sluggish but the music never gets interrupted). If the browser allowed me to pin sites to the home screen it be perfect.

Seriously, with Office included, I am shocked these tablets heaved sold well.

My tablet is a steal at $300.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
This Lumia 2520 has made me believe in the RT platform. App situation is worse than WP but the browser makes up for it. I have my phone's browser favorites as well as my favorite bar from my laptop. Every single site I've tried has worked great including amazon prime video, amazon MP3 cloud player, Spotify, Pandora, and partycloud (although this runs a slight sluggish but the music never gets interrupted). If the browser allowed me to pin sites to the home screen it be perfect.

My tablet is a steal at $300.

You can pin sites to the home screen.

The Flash

Banned

I see more and more people with RT tablets now. I used to be the only one at my college who had a Surface RT but now I've seen like 4 other people with one. A fully functional Office suite on a ten inch tablet is not something to scoff at for sure.

Yes but only IE desktop which sucks on tablets in comparison to IE metro.
Wait why can't you pin IE metro to start screen? Or am I misunderstood what you are saying?

Nokia purchase will be another in the long line of fail acquisition by Ballmer. I can't imagine Nokia get integrate into Microsoft and work well. Also devs complaining and abandoning WP should be alarming for Windows Phone. We already have small apps and can't afford to loose the one already here. Also will be hard to attract development if Microsoft continue to make it difficult for developers.

Wait why can't you pin IE metro to start screen? Or am I misunderstood what you are saying?
yes, that's exactly what i'm saying. you can't pin IE Metro sites to the start screen but you can pin IE Desktop sites to the start screen. problem is that IE Desktop sucks with touch.

oh geez IE Metro is amazing. if this browser had been released on WP sooner i think MS would have a better standing in the mobile game. this IE works just like IE desktop but is made for touch. exactly what sooo many have wanted all along when moving into the mobile world but MS was too slow to react. now the masses have switched into this app-centric mentality and now MS is where they are now, digging themselves out from a ditch.

derFeef

There is no need for the messaging app to open a new instance every time you open it, or when you recieve a message... argh. lastflowers pls!

Blah blah, not for the western market, blah blah.

Engadget reviews the Nokia X

Wrap-up

For its cost, it has respectable features and solid hardware, but it doesn't have enough redeeming qualities to help it pull ahead of its competition. The specs are comparable to a sub-$150 Android smartphone. However, the ecosystem is more confusing and the performance doesn't quite meet my expectations for a budget device. Plus, who knows how long Microsoft will keep it around and update it? Nokia's still a trusted brand, and it'll get a lot of interest in developing markets regardless of the competition, but I was ultimately too frustrated to recommend this over other similarly priced models.

The X works better as a possible Asha replacement than a full-on smartphone experience, and perhaps that will happen in the next year or two. I'm more confident in the performance of low-end Windows Phones like the Lumia 520 than I am in comparable Androids, and a dual-SIM Lumia in this price range would be a much more compelling deal.

Pros

• Reasonable hardware for the price
  • Battery life is good for most tasks

Cons
  • Poor performance and responsiveness
  • No access to Google services
  • Can't multitask from apps
  • Mediocre call quality

Conclusion

For its price, the X has respectable features and good hardware. However, its confusing ecosystem and numerous performance issues make it hard to recommend over similarly priced budget phones.

http://www.engadget.com/2014/04/29/nokia-x-review/

yes, that's exactly what i'm saying. you can't pin IE Metro sites to the start screen but you can pin IE Desktop sites to the start screen. problem is that IE Desktop sucks with touch.

oh geez IE Metro is amazing. if this browser had been released on WP sooner i think MS would have a better standing in the mobile game. this IE works just like IE desktop but is made for touch. exactly what sooo many have wanted all along when moving into the mobile world but MS was too slow to react. now the masses have switched into this app-centric mentality and now MS is where they are now, digging themselves out from a ditch.

Is this RT only thing? I pin IE Metro site all the time on my Windows 8 computer, actually on this computer that I am typing right now I have Bing IE Metro and GAF Metro pin to start screen. I agree that IE Metro is really good, I was hoping we would get same browser on Windows Phone. I use IE Metro exclusively on my Windows 8 tablet (ASUS) and on that I also have several IE sites pin to Start Screen so unless it's RT limitation, you might want to check.

I'm actually curious to see how Microsoft will promote the WP brand now and get the public to care about it.

I've taken a new job at DirecTV and the general reaction to my WP phone runs along the lines of "meh" and "really?".

One guy who has a Note 3 said they were too slow as he has octacore (yet didn't know we also use Qualcomm processors) then pointed at the interface and said he didn't like the tiles, to which I rebutted how they are merely icons like on Android, or a PC.

Another time, we were in a tech workshop learning about the various devices you can stream DirecTV programming on and the guy only kept mentioning Android, IOS, so I say there's a third option, Windows Phone, and held up my 925. Some girl actually went "Aww" like in pity. ?!

tl;dr Damn people are ingrained with only 2 choices: Android, IOS. MS has a battle ahead to win the masses over.

I love my Windows Phones, and the Microsoft ecosystem.

The days where Windows Phone is ahead of Android in terms of design are over.

Spotify for Android just got a major UI overhaul (not that it looked bad before).

VZLe0uL.png

vs

Jlu0Pg5.png
LCl9awf.png

(Last updated: 12/5/2011)

Boooo.

JaggedSac

I think they've already pissed off developers a long time ago. Dropping Silverlight, XNA, going with JavaScript and HTML 5 for app development instead of .NET for W8 and now wp api changes.

You are not the first person I've seen here think this. Why do you think they dropped C#?

Chorazin

I can't wait for the updated Spotify app to launch. Xbox Music is missing a bunch of stuff and I'm ready to switch back, but having a barely functional app is holding me back.

The days where Windows Phone is ahead of Android in terms of design are over.

Spotify for Android just got a major UI overhaul (not that it looked bad before).

VZLe0uL.png

vs

Jlu0Pg5.png
LCl9awf.png

(Last updated: 12/5/2011)

Boooo.

Half-assed third party WP app design ≠ WP design.

Spotify is ass, though.

Is this RT only thing? I pin IE Metro site all the time on my Windows 8 computer, actually on this computer that I am typing right now I have Bing IE Metro and GAF Metro pin to start screen. I agree that IE Metro is really good, I was hoping we would get same browser on Windows Phone. I use IE Metro exclusively on my Windows 8 tablet (ASUS) and on that I also have several IE sites pin to Start Screen so unless it's RT limitation, you might want to check.
I finally posted that I did finally get I to work. Bing search for instructions only showed me how to do it with IE Desktop. Now I have facebook, Spotify, Pandora, amazon prime, and amazon cloud player all pinned and looking like legit apps but actually take you to their full features websites.

Nero3000

So quick question:

- I updated my phone to 8.1 (with all the items set for backup to one drive)
- My phone developed (or already had) a hardware fault and i sent it in for repair
- The phone has been imaged back to WP8.0

What is the best restore strategy? I'm worried that if i sign in under WP8.0 all the 8.1 backup will be deleted, so when i update to 8.1 it'll not work.

Any thoughts?

hadareud

The Translator
So quick question:

- My phone developed (or already had) a hardware fault and i sent it in for repair

What is the best restore strategy? I'm worried that if i sign in under WP8.0 all the 8.1 backup will be deleted, so when i update to 8.1 it'll not work.

Any thoughts?

Don't do a restore, then do the upgrade to 8.1, do a factory reset and restore.

So quick question:

Any thoughts?

I believe your restore will still be there for 8.1, though I can't guarantee it. If you are really worried, you can make another MSA, do the free app-dev process online, upgrade to 8.1 on the phone, factory reset the phone, and then sign on with your real MSA.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Sucks about the mehdoh developer, that's the twitter app I use. Hopefully its just a tantrum that he will get over. Can't afford to lose any of these devs that build better clients than the first party services that ignite the platform beyond token support.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
For some reason I can't back up my settings. It gets to 98% and then says there was a problem backing up your settings.

Nero3000

Don't do a restore, then do the upgrade to 8.1, do a factory reset and restore.

My thought with this is that as soon as I upgrade to 8.1, it might start overwriting the backup I had.

I believe your restore will still be there for 8.1, though I can't guarantee it. If you are really worried, you can make another MSA, do the free app-dev process online, upgrade to 8.1 on the phone, factory reset the phone, and then sign on with your real MSA.

Going down this route. I don't even need to sign up for the app-dev process as i can log in separately for the "previeew for developers" app.

Hah have to do GDR3 first..."updated to the latest software" my arse. (at least "migrating your data" will be quick).

Thanks.

Sucks about the mehdoh developer, that's the twitter app I use. Hopefully its just a tantrum that he will get over. Can't afford to lose any of these devs that build better clients than the first party services that ignite the platform beyond token support.

Don't listen to WMPU....

“Anyhoo, now that I have out of the way... the article is totally WRONG. Those tweets were deleted moments after being posted. I just felt like a rant is all, which anyone who follows me on twitter knows I am prone to. Typical WMPU making articles out of the smallest thing as usual. Hey ho.
But anyway, Microsoft got in touch to have a chat with me, so that was nice (and FYI, they don't share your opinion).”

Magni

So I'm at Facebook f8 in SF, Windows Phone actually felt like a lot more than an afterthought! Bumped into someone using a WP... if I say short guy with fabulous hair, who do you guess?

Windows 8's Reading List is now useful (for me)! Windows Reading List comes to Windows Phone 8.1

Heading to the Store, you can now download the app (link below) and if you’re familiar with Reading List already, you should be quite comfortable using this app. The listed features of Windows Reading List includes:

Add bookmarks from any app or Internet Explorer to keep track of things you want to get back to later
See your list in the Windows Reading List app that is available on all Windows 8.1 devices whether you’re on your phone or PC
Easily remove items once you're done with them
Search through the items in your reading list to find specific things
Each item is shown in a rich display, showing the title, images, and what app it came from
Categorize items. You can group together ideas about the next place you want to vacation, articles about finance, or things you want to read for work
Filter items easily by category
Share a set of items from your list with others
Removed an item by mistake? Use the recently deleted section to find it

Download link.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom