• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3 Update 3| Please be excited

Status
Not open for further replies.

Commodore

So I only have 2gb remaining on my phone. Should I be worried at all once I upgrade to 8.1? I'm worried about Other storage and the updated OS taking up a bunch of my storage space.

If I recall correctly, I certain amount of space is required for the update and it'll take you if you don't have it when you try to update.

I just learned something new: Copy/paste has a sound effect!

Had my ear buds plugged in,kept hearing a tiny sound and realized it happened each time I copied and pasted!

Little things, little things...

ElNino

I've tried a bunch of weather apps, but I always end up back on Amazing Weather HD. For where I live it offers the best weather info (forecast, satellite, alerts) and the GPS tracking works well.

It now has transparent tiles as well, but I only use that for the back tile.

Is anybody else experiencing crashes with the official Twitter app? Mine has been going haywire all day. Rebooting the phone didn't do anything so I assume there's a larger issue.

ZZ5FPwl.png

Installing...battery improvements are very welcome.

If anyone snagged the Twitter Beta app that was only up for about half a day back when the dev preview first came out, that version appears to be unaffected by the weird crashing issue that's cropped up.

Edit: I always forget that updates don't work on the wireless charger...

Bullza2o

Getting the update! Hopefully this also fixes some of the slowness (aka "lag") of the OS on my Lumia 920. It's very un-WP like. I was thinking I should do a hard reset to fix this?

jagowar

The list of fixes is fairly boring. Just look for some battery improvements.

I am still hoping they fix cortana to work over bluetooth connections.... really the only thing that annoys me. Haven't been affected by the battery life bugs but those improvements are always welcome.

KageMaru

When I check, it says my phone is up to date. =/ I'm sure it may take some time to roll out to everyone.

I did try that but could not as the alias would be my MS account, and they don't allow that.

It a convoluted mess.

Hmmm I know it's possible because I moved from a yahoo account over to a live account. I'll see if I can recreate the steps when I have a moment.

Sordid

After updating most of my apps said 'installing' and I couldn't use them. 38% battery later my phone is boiling hot but I can finally use my apps. Is that supposed to happen?

hadareud

The Translator
all of the apps that weren't pinned to start are now saying "installing" and can't be opened since the update. Wtf?

edit: or what the other Austrian said.

Good news. My 920 battery has always been complete crap, with this update it was even worse and I hardly use the thing. Hopefully this will sort it out a bit.

P.s if you ever need a hand warmer, play Microsoft solitaire lol

hwalker84

Facebook never came back after 2 hours. Deleted it and reinstalled it. Phone also automatically launched the camera app then started stuttering then turned to a black screen. I had to hold the volume down + power button. All good since.

n64coder

I'm running 8.1 on my Lumia 1020 but when I check for updates, it says that it's up-to-date. Do I need to do something different to get the update? I bought the phone off Ebay and it already had 8.1 installed. I do have a WP developer account but haven't used it yet.

Separately, my parents are interested in getting a smart phone. They have macs/ipads at home. Would it be crazy for me to suggest the Lumia 520 as a starter smart phone? I don't know how well it integrates with the Mac. The advantage is that it would be much cheaper than an unlocked iphone 5 unless I find one on CL. The other issue is that they're not local so any tech support from me to them would have to be over the phone or face time.

dLMN8R

I'm running 8.1 on my Lumia 1020 but when I check for updates, it says that it's up-to-date. Do I need to do something different to get the update? I bought the phone off Ebay and it already had 8.1 installed. I do have a WP developer account but haven't used it yet.

Separately, my parents are interested in getting a smart phone. They have macs/ipads at home. Would it be crazy for me to suggest the Lumia 520 as a starter smart phone? I don't know how well it integrates with the Mac. The advantage is that it would be much cheaper than an unlocked iphone 5 unless I find one on CL. The other issue is that they're not local so any tech support from me to them would have to be over the phone or face time.

I know a couple people who started with the 520 as their first smartphone and they absolutely loved it. It works well enough with Macs to get pictures and music on/off of it, but mostly it just syncs with cloud services. iCloud is included in that list of services as of 8.1.

For $45, seems like a no-brainer.

derExperte

You need to install the Preview for Developers app and have it activated.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
So, uh...... The battery life improvements in this update seem to be the real deal. At the very least, the it of control drain that had been driving me crazy hasn't showed up so far * crosses fingers*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom