• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3 Update 3| Please be excited

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heretic

I got my Nokia Lumia 1520. Black colour....

I feel like my 10-year-old self at Christmas time. It`s thinner than my Lumia 920. It has a bigger screen. Everything is shinier, brighter, and louder. And all I had to do was log in with my Microsoft account and all my apps and emails were brought over from my 920.

Only downside is it is a huge phone. I don't think I'll be putting it in my pocket often. Probably will put it in my bag. Also, my 920's SIM card is too small for the 1520. I have to get it cut at a flea market.
time to rock a satchel!

Sup WinPhoGAF, new member. Got a DVP back in the day, great phone, shit camera. Rocking a white 920 with a shattered screen now, waiting to see when the next nice WP comes to TMo so I can go back to them.

Been 8 months since the Twitter app has seen an update. :/

-----------

General WP question: Last night I made an new email alias on my MS account and made that alias the primary. On Win 8.1, I signed out and in again and the change was made for my new primary email on the account. Do I have to do anything for the change to update on my phone?

Nero3000

Been 8 months since the Twitter app has seen an update. :/

-----------

General WP question: Last night I made an new email alias on my MS account and made that alias the primary. On Win 8.1, I signed out and in again and the change was made for my new primary email on the account. Do I have to do anything for the change to update on my phone?

no, I don't think the label will change on the phone without a hard reset, but it is a purely cosmetic change.

no, I don't think the label will change on the phone without a hard reset, but it is a purely cosmetic change.

Well it's not just cosmetic as I want to start using the new primary alias as my primary email.

That's disappointing if there's no way to get it to update without a hard reset. All I have to do in Windows was just lock my device and sign in again, which was very slick.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Fuck. Cracked the bottom of the screen on my 1520. Don't even know how this happened. Windows and back button are going haywire.

I just shattered the screen on my 1520 earlier today too. Ugh.

Fortunately, I had an upgrade on at&t. Unfortunately, there is nothing on Windows phone to upgrade to at the moment so.......

I just shattered the screen on my 1520 earlier today too. Ugh.

Fortunately, I had an upgrade on at&t. Unfortunately, there is nothing on Windows phone to upgrade to at the moment so.......

Oh man I guess I dodged a bullet, dropped my 1520 screen first onto some tile flooring today, no damage.

JaggedSac

Its always a sad state of affairs when people want to spend money on a platform and they cant because there is nothing available. I am speaking both in regards to devices and apps, lol.

kharma45

Its always a sad state of affairs when people want to spend money on a platform and they cant because there is nothing available. I am speaking both in regards to devices and apps, lol.

I considered buying another to replace my smashed 620 but the 1520 is too big and the 930 ain't out. LG G3 looks awfully tempting, as does the One M8.

Milchjon

Still loving my 920. Recent app discoveries: Glympse is fun, Vivino is pretty. Also, a lot more German companies seem to release their kinda useless ad apps on WP (Haribo, TicTac…)

Also, for anyone still looking for a podcast app, I’m enjoying Casts a lot. It’s still version 0.x and has some minor bugs and some missing features (auto download). But it’s clean, pretty, customizable and works very well otherwise.

Two things that annoy me:

1) I recently tried my Lumia 800 again. Everything was quicker, less loading screens, less resuming screens. Wonder what’s wrong there.

2) The worst thing about 8.1 by far is IE and the way it handles tabs.
-Rearranging them according to usage may make sense theoretically, but took me forever to get used to coming from old IE.
-Every now and then, when I switch tabs and then return, it doesn’t remember the right page and goes back in history somewhere. Sometimes when the site isn't fully loaded before I switch, it doesn't appear at all. Major pain in the ass, especially when using RSS feeds.
-Fucking horrible memory management. Switching tabs once and having to reload everything makes me wanna choke someone.

Still loving my 920. Recent app discoveries: Glympse is fun, Vivino is pretty. Also, a lot more German companies seem to release their kinda useless ad apps on WP (Haribo, TicTac…)

Also, for anyone still looking for a podcast app, I’m enjoying Casts a lot. It’s still version 0.x and has some minor bugs and some missing features (auto download). But it’s clean, pretty, customizable and works very well otherwise.

1) I recently tried my Lumia 800 again. Everything was quicker, less loading screens, less resuming screens. Wonder what’s wrong there.

-Rearranging them according to usage may make sense theoretically, but took me forever to get used to coming from old IE.
-Every now and then, when I switch tabs and then return, it doesn’t remember the right page and goes back in history somewhere. Sometimes when the site isn't fully loaded before I switch, it doesn't appear at all. Major pain in the ass, especially when using RSS feeds.
-Fucking horrible memory management. Switching tabs once and having to reload everything makes me wanna choke someone.

Man, hearing stuff like this, I'm not confident that I want to upgrade from 8.0 to 8.1. Might just go Android rather than stay on 8.0.

Milchjon

Man, hearing stuff like this, I'm not confident that I want to upgrade from 8.0 to 8.1. Might just go Android rather than stay on 8.0.

Nah. 8.1 is one of those upgrades where you simply can't go back after having it for a short while. Just tons and tons of little things. Quiet hours and quick reminders via Cortana alone made it worth it for me.

Fox Mulder

ugh.

does IE still close when you hit the back button? So dumb.

Nah. 8.1 is one of those upgrades where you simply can't go back after having it for a short while. Just tons and tons of little things. Quiet hours and quick reminders via Cortana alone made it worth it for me.

What good are a bunch of little added features when basic functionality is taking a step back? I mean, obviously I'm not deciding anything now, but the official 8.1 release better have fixed a majority of these problems for me to feel confident sticking around.

Milchjon

What good are a bunch of little added features when basic functionality is taking a step back? I mean, obviously I'm not deciding anything now, but the official 8.1 release better have fixed a majority of these problems for me to feel confident sticking around.

Well, I've been using 8.1 since it came out, and for me the tradeoff is definitely worth it. There's nothing that's fundamentally broken after the update (Music, maybe), and lots of good new stuff.

That being said, what's the quickest way to report stuff to MS? I'm having some weird problem every now and then with autocorrect where it corrects a word to a shorter one (is->I, for instance) which is kinda annoying.

Milchjon

New FB layout is pretty darn dumb and a definite step back. How often do I need to accept friend requests compared to how often I use the menu/check who's online? Why do I need to swipe past it every time?

I still like the design somewhat, but the three pane layout was much more logical, intuitive and quick to use.

Also, why is there a search when I go to the "friends online" thing and another one when I hit the search button. Why are there two confusingly similar menu buttons directly on top of each other.

Whole thing makes little sense.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Cheap glass? 1020 I drop a few times and only have small scruff. Or is it because of how big it is?

This is always about luck, the angle of the fall, the surface, if there is any stone or object on the floor, etc. I'd dropped it a few times already on its screen, I just ran out of luck. It's my fault entirely.

I miss cortana, my incredible Nokia cameras, and the simplicity of Windows phone. On my first day and I'm getting random pop ups for apps that I can't find in my app drawer, apps I can't uninstall, and apparently Google now failed and I need to restart the phone because there is an icon with an indecipherable message on my notifications screen. What a mess, Android really is the pc of mobile devices. I should have waited for the new iPhone. Or better yet, Nokia, Samsung and HTC should have wp versions of their flagship phones for me to buy this month.

This is always about luck, the angle of the fall, the surface, if there is any stone or object on the floor, etc. I'd dropped it a few times already on its screen, I just ran out of luck. It's my fault entirely.

I miss cortana, my incredible Nokia cameras, and the simplicity of Windows phone. On my first day and I'm getting random pop ups for apps that I can't find in my app drawer, apps I can't uninstall, and apparently Google now failed and I need to restart the phone because there is an icon with an indecipherable message on my notifications screen. What a mess, Android really is the pc of mobile devices. I should have waited for the new iPhone. Or better yet, Nokia, Samsung and HTC should have wp versions of their flagship phones for me to buy this month.
"shoulda gone Nexus bro"

What did you ended up getting and what happen to your 1020? I would have gone back to that and wait for iPhone or G3 and well next Windows Phone flagship (I know November).

My anger levels have risen since I started using this 521 with 8.1, and its definitely related to this. Holy god this needs to stop with the final release.

Edit: Forgot to add GAF threads with gifs continually flashing white until I am ejected from the browser and sent back in history somewhere.

DonMigs85

Not to mention that every time Gorilla Glass experiences even a relatively mild shock, "invisible" cracks begin to propagate until the limit is reached.

kharma45

What did you end up buying?

For a moment I was considering the Xperia Z2 instead of the 930, but after checking out the photo quality... "nope". Sure is a pretty close thing on everything else, though.

maeh2k

Non-Nexus Android phones really are a pain to set up. Set up my aunt's Xperia Z1 last week. Out of the box it's really horrible. All those piece of shit apps you can't get rid of. They even added their own little shitty dock to the app switcher, which was populated with useless mini apps, and I just couldn't figure out how to get rid of the dock. The average user doesn't stand a chance at properly setting up those phones.

I'm using my sister's old Galaxy Nexus as my second phone and I'm using the Themer theme Rainbow on it. It's pretty reduced and minimalistic. Just the basics on the home screen with apps pinned to a drawer on the side. It's quite nice and usable. Too bad it's still Android underneath rearing its ugly head ever so often.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
What did you ended up getting and what happen to your 1020? I would have gone back to that and wait for iPhone or G3 and well next Windows Phone flagship (I know November).

I ended up with an m8. I still have the 1020, I'm not selling it for now, but I need better performance and battery life.

Nero3000

Well it's not just cosmetic as I want to start using the new primary alias as my primary email.

That's disappointing if there's no way to get it to update without a hard reset. All I have to do in Windows was just lock my device and sign in again, which was very slick.

Are you on 8.1? You can reset and restore your phone...

Ah I'd been looking at it too. Thought it'd be a fairly good experience camera aside.
HTC makes great phones but their chase to create "the next big thing" has them on this rapid refresh cycle that leaves behind their older hardware. You'd be lucky if an HTC device gets updated past 12 months.

kharma45

HTC makes great phones but their chase to create "the next big thing" has them on this rapid refresh cycle that leaves behind their older hardware. You'd be lucky if an HTC device gets updated past 12 months.

They did pledge near the start of the year to support all flagship devices from the One onwards with timely updates for two years after release.

hadareud

The Translator
They did pledge near the start of the year to support all flagship devices from the One onwards with timely updates for two years after release.

I believe it when I see it. Having had a couple of their Android flagships before, they've promised a lot of things that there conveniently ignored a few months later.

kharma45

I believe it when I see it. Having had a couple of their Android flagships before, they've promised a lot of things that there conveniently ignored a few months later.

True but they know they need to do something to win people back, I'd be inclined to believe them.

I had the Hero and One X (and a Nexus One) and swore I'd never buy another of their phones again, but I am tempted.

hadareud

The Translator
Well their phones do look lovely.

But the camera and the fact that I don't believe them until I've seen proof mean that I wouldn't get a M8 even if it ran WP and they called it something less ridiculous than M8.

Yeah I believe this happened with the One X. They said it would get an update but later backtracked. My HD7 also never got the WP7.5 update either.

Yet HTC expects people to move on and buy their next flagship?

maeh2k

Yeah I believe this happened with the One X. They said it would get an update but later backtracked. My HD7 also never got the WP7.5 update either.

Yet HTC expects people to move on and buy their next flagship?

Most people don't know and don't care, and mose OEMs aren't any better either. Even with Windows Phone you aren't completely safe. Will people who buy a 1020 now get Windows Phone 9 next year? If Windows Phone and RT are somehow moving together, who knows what will happen.

frontieruk

As a HTC one (m7) owner I have to say they are a lot better than back in the hero / desire days, android is up to date, sense got updated to the version seen on the m8, i have a feeling they may finally get that supporting their products generates good will

Guys.. Have you tried "Listen"? It's an amazing music player, fast, beautiful and free!!!! Try it now if you don't like Xbox Music. (it has live tile, too!).

10408703_772463242774600_5798987812102034552_n.jpg

BROKEN 1520 CLUB AHYO!

Nokia send me my 1020 back pls.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom