• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3 Update 3| Please be excited

Status
Not open for further replies.
Most people don't know and don't care, and mose OEMs aren't any better either. Even with Windows Phone you aren't completely safe. Will people who buy a 1020 now get Windows Phone 9 next year? If Windows Phone and RT are somehow moving together, who knows what will happen.

even with? MS platforms are the kings of mobile abandonment.

maeh2k

even with? MS platforms are the kings of mobile abandonment.

If you buy at the right time Windows Phone is great for updates. The first WP7 devices still got a decent update after two years. With the first WP8 devices it was clear they'd get updates for a long time, since they had just changed the kernel. So every WP8 device now gets the big 8.1 update and they also get the smaller updates to 8.1.

Persona7

Banned
Does anyone know if a phone that opted into the developer preview and got the first update but then the phone was reset and not signed back into a account with the dev preview will be able to just update to the final release version when it comes out? My friend has a 520 and for some reason can't get the dev preview working even on different accounts.

Does anyone know if a phone that opted into the developer preview and got the first update but then the phone was reset and not signed back into a account with the dev preview will be able to just update to the final release version when it comes out? My friend has a 520 and for some reason can't get the dev preview working even on different accounts.
I think so. I can't quite make out what happened to your friend, but official updates will be available. If you do the reset-your-phone, you have to specifically get back on the developer update train. You are always defaulted to the official updates unless manual switching is done (via dev preview).

MCD

http://wmpoweruser.com/microsofts-bing-says-international-is-now-front-and-center/#more-124804

Bing is embarking on the most ambitious geographic and product expansion in its history. International is now front and center at Bing. ASG is charged to make Bing a quality product in 75 markets around the world, driven by the needs of Microsoft’s core products and global strategic alliances – Windows 8, Windows Phone, Xbox, Nokia, Yahoo and others. If getting on the ground floor in this great adventure sounds appealing, this role is for you.

For the EMEA markets, you will drive and execute strategic partnerships and tactical deals in key search distribution and content areas (which may include local, shopping, entertainment, music, books, video, social, news and apps), for the web, mobile/tablets, Xbox and other devices..

wow

only took them...5 years.

maeh2k

Apparently the 930 in the UK will be packaged with a wireless charging pad as default.

Nokia/Microsoft should just ship every Qi-capable phone with a Qi charger in the box. I don't think it would add much to the cost and it would be a real differentiator over competing phones. Nokia went the wrong way about wireless charging. Sure, there were some models that had it built in, but when their basic DT-900 charger is still 40 Euros on amazon, how many people really make use of it? Probably way less than 1% of Lumia 920 users.

Edit: I'll still get a 930 from work whenever that thing is released in Germany, but I doubt I'll get a charger.

Nokia/Microsoft should just ship every Qi-capable phone with a Qi charger in the box. I don't think it would add much to the cost and it would be a real differentiator over competing phones. Nokia went the wrong way about wireless charging. Sure, there were some models that had it built in, but when their basic DT-900 charger is still 40 Euros on amazon, how many people really make use of it? Probably way less than 1% of Lumia 920 users.

Edit: I'll still get a 930 from work whenever that thing is released in Germany, but I doubt I'll get a charger.

At&t have them for $5.00, I miss the sale by a few days. Manager at At&t by my work said a guy came in and buy all he had in stocks (10 or so). I am sure they are all on eBay now. That said, I don't know about shipping it with the charging pad, not everybody want one and it's a way to make money on already slim margin. What they should do is make it more available and at cheaper cost. $40.00 is a lot to ask for when you can buy a wired charger for $5-10. I love the wireless charging pad in my car but $80.00 is really steep, I got it for $40.00 because of gift card and even then it's pretty pricey.

The manager at the store is sad that I am looking at other phones, he is a big Windows Phone supporter. I told him, well there's is no new Windows Phone for me to look at.

Persona7

Banned
I think so. I can't quite make out what happened to your friend, but official updates will be available. If you do the reset-your-phone, you have to specifically get back on the developer update train. You are always defaulted to the official updates unless manual switching is done (via dev preview).

I asked the exact process of what happened and here is the response. It seems to be a strange issue.

1. downloaded dev preview and opted in
2. downloaded update to 8.1
3. it worked well for a few hours and then started crashing and being unresponsive
4. reset the phone, it works fine now but opting into the dev preview after signing back in does not initiate the updates released after the first one

5. reset phone again, made new microsoft account
6. opted into dev preview but updates still do not show up
7. repeat, still does not work

My friend also found a nokia program that will restore the original WP8 software and remove 8.1 entirely, if the final release update causes issues that will be tried.

I asked the exact process of what happened and here is the response. It seems to be a strange issue.

1. downloaded dev preview and opted in
2. downloaded update to 8.1
3. it worked well for a few hours and then started crashing and being unresponsive
4. reset the phone, it works fine now but opting into the dev preview after signing back in does not initiate the updates released after the first one

5. reset phone again, made new microsoft account
6. opted into dev preview but updates still do not show up
7. repeat, still does not work

My friend also found a nokia program that will restore the original WP8 software and remove 8.1 entirely, if the final release update causes issues that will be tried.

He'll get the official update.

I just hope that these rumours pan out by my birthday - which by now is less than two months away. It's going to be a tough one between the 930 and Z2 if they don't pan out and/or the phones don't exist.

Wow, it's more than just HDR pics it's also video slow motion and pics from video. Wish they had a rugged version of their next WP flagship.

Totakeke

Sigh, seems like my 8X decided to die on me all of a sudden in my pocket. Now I'm not sure what to get as a replacement, nothing seems like a particularly good choice.

Paganmoon

Nokia 1020 with 8.1 is the best phone I've had so far

Why no SD card on a camera phone Nokia ?! omgbbq :(

Because the cloud man, SD is too old-school :)

Really loving the 1020 with 8.1, but it does have some weird quirks, the constant resuming of apps does get a bit annoying after a while, and it's even stranger that sometimes it's instant start of app, (or resume), and sometimes it can take 10-20 seconds. Another weird thing was I recently paired it with my dad's car, and it worked fine, but after leaving the car (and not turning of BT), it randomly rebooted, or at least I think it did, cause everytime I wanted to check the phone, it kept asking me for SIM password, stopped doing it after I turned BT off again. Another issue is batterylife which is great sometimes, and other times, it drains in hours, and according to battery saver, "phone" uses most of it when it does, which I find weird as I hardly make any calls with it.

Really hoping for a big step up in hardware in the upcoming phones, the 930 didn't look that good (and it doesn't have Glance).

Because the cloud man, SD is too old-school :)

Really loving the 1020 with 8.1, but it does have some weird quirks, the constant resuming of apps does get a bit annoying after a while, and it's even stranger that sometimes it's instant start of app, (or resume), and sometimes it can take 10-20 seconds. Another weird thing was I recently paired it with my dad's car, and it worked fine, but after leaving the car (and not turning of BT), it randomly rebooted, or at least I think it did, cause everytime I wanted to check the phone, it kept asking me for SIM password, stopped doing it after I turned BT off again. Another issue is batterylife which is great sometimes, and other times, it drains in hours, and according to battery saver, "phone" uses most of it when it does, which I find weird as I hardly make any calls with it.

Really hoping for a big step up in hardware in the upcoming phones, the 930 didn't look that good (and it doesn't have Glance).

A lot of those resuming issues would probably get fixed with fw and official update. If the 630 doesnt have that bad of an experience, the 1020 definitely should not.

kharma45

I'll not lie. I'm thiking of buying another Windows Phone, maybe a cheap 920 off eBay to tide me over until the new
iPhone

hadareud

The Translator
I'd quite like a very cheap but relatively recent Android phone to play around with.

What can I get for around 50 quid that isn't too shit?

I was thinking the Moto E, but it doesn't seem that you can get one for less than 90 pounds.

nubbe

I thought there was a setting to sync the bigger version over WIFI, or was that just a larger JPG and not the raw 42MP file?

It just uploads a bigger JPG 1-2MB instead of 200 - 300KB
DNG need to be transferred manually

I can understand why... The DNG is usually 40MB and OneDrive is slow as hell to transfer files

kharma45

I'd quite like a very cheap but relatively recent Android phone to play around with.

What can I get for around 50 quid that isn't too shit?

I was thinking the Moto E, but it doesn't seem that you can get one for less than 90 pounds.

You can get the Moto E from Tesco for £69 with a new customer discount code.

Totakeke

My phone is at the repair shop now, they checked the battery and that's fine unfortunately.

I think if I'll get another phone it'll be another used 8X (~USD120) or 1020 (~USD330). Someone offered to sell me a new Redmi for like USD140, the phone looks bland though feels pretty solid, but Android 4.2, meh.

I think I had a similar debate half a year ago with the same phone models, where's all the new windows phones???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom