• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3 Update 3| Please be excited

Status
Not open for further replies.

bkw

I'm looking to switch my RSS reading to feedly. Any recommendations for apps? I tried phonely and it was ok... Hoping for less fluff. Nextgen reader screenshots look decent.

Milchjon

I'm looking to switch my RSS reading to feedly. Any recommendations for apps? I tried phonely and it was ok... Hoping for less fluff. Nextgen reader screenshots look decent.

What do you mean by fluff?

I'm loving Phonely. I guess it's not the quickest app, though.

bkw

What do you mean by fluff?

I'm loving Phonely. I guess it's not the quickest app, though.
I want just a list of unread titles from all feeds and a quick way to go between each full article. Perhaps it's not really fluff, but maybe i was hoping for something more utilitarian. Maybe I just didn't dig through the settings enough. I'll give it another go tomorrow.

Milchjon

I want just a list of unread titles from all feeds and a quick way to go between each full article. Perhaps it's not really fluff, but maybe i was hoping for something more utilitarian. Maybe I just didn't dig through the settings enough. I'll give it another go tomorrow.

AFAIR you can choose the first pane you want it to go to after opening the app. And you can swipe sideways to switch through articles.

New Windows Phones for everyone!

sEn0DyX.png

68mDuMu.jpg

MCnOnNF.jpg

“The Nokia X family is going from strength to strength, with the Nokia X smartphone achieving top-selling status in Pakistan, Russia, Kenya and Nigeria,[3] while earning the third-best-selling smartphone spot in India,” said Timo Toikkanen, head of Mobile Phones, Microsoft Devices Group. “The Nokia X2 elevates the Nokia X experience with a stellar new design, ease of use and new Microsoft experiences. We’re proud to continue to bring smartphone innovation to lower and lower price points.”

http://conversations.nokia.com/2014/06/24/nokia-x2-next-generation-x/

PG2G

Nextgen is great. Give it a try, the demo is full featured without any time constraints

No but I was frustrated with Nokia camera app slowness and lack of camera roll.

Not anymore though.
The camera roll is really nice, but if the beta is anything to go by, performance is more abysmal than ever on 8.1 preview. Granted, it's a beta running on a unfinished OS, that's also having its own share of performance wooes, but putting the camera roll definitely took a huge hit on the beta app.

Edit: Just made a quick test with the non beta app and yep, it's not performing very well too. Not sure how much of that is due the OS, thought...

Paganmoon

More WP rants, sorry.

So I recently saw an android app, that reads NFC tags in the buss and tram cards we have here in Sweden, and tells you the amount you have left on them. Cool, cause I very rarely use public transportation I usually have no clue how much I have on my card, checked their website, if they were developing a WP app, considering most WP phones have NFC (afaik).

Well first thing on their site says, no iPhone app, understandably since no NFC, then it states no Windows Phone app, since Microsoft has blocked off parts of the NFC protocol for the developers. Is this true? if so why? I've had Windows Phones with NFC for almost 2 years now and haven't found a single good use for it, no worthwhile apps, and it appears, parts of it is due to MS blocking of some functions?

Microsoft, don't force me to go Android for my next phone...

PG2G

Only problem I remembered hearing about related to NFC in WP8 was related to the pop up confirmations for everything. I believe this was addressed in WP8.1

I could be wrong though

Only problem I remembered hearing about related to NFC in WP8 was related to the pop up confirmations for everything. I believe this was addressed in WP8.1

I could be wrong though

Yes, you can now "trust" the application that is triggered by the NFC device.

I was poking around the extra Nokia... Er, Microsoft Mobile-provided stuff in Settings lately, and I've noticed that they seem to have different text and images at places. I'm not seeing things, right? (I think the display settings lost one image in exchange for at least one image for profile testing, and a further explanation is provided for full SMS character set. Also, I think accessories got upgraded to a full-blown app called Device Hub.)

Metro mail is nice. The live tile is ugly though.

Oh and the camera app is excellent now.

The default camera app? Or Nokia Camera App? The beta one just turn to pile of turd in the last app update. The focus take even longer and the white balance is all out of whack. The Nokia Camera app just got update and they remove the handy feature of going directly to the last photo taken. The camera is now slower so I assume whatever that was in the beta get put in the non-beta version. What they really need to fix is to make sure camera focus faster and save the image faster.

Razdek

Banned
Next thing you know, this will replace WP.

The time and money they put building these cheap android phones means resources that are diverted away from WP. This thing will probably sell more than any Lumia line out there which is sad.

Totakeke

Woohoo, I'm back! My HTC 8X has died a permanent death it seems but I managed to get a 8 month old gray 925 in pretty good condition for 160. The guy initially listed it as physical condition 6.5/10, then removed that description then said there's a crack near the headphone jack. So I didn't have high confidence but the price warranted a trip. Went to see it in person and turns out there's no crack, just a visible hairline scratch, and just small overall wear and tear that you'll get using the phone. So it's still pretty good looking.

The design is perhaps not as elegant as the other Lumia models, but it's sure still is sexy. The more I look at it the happier I am.

Now to see what Android "L" brings to the stagnating smartphone market.

bedlamite

You think this is better than Metro?

I am not sure I am agree with your material there.
Well I can't say if it's better yet, but Android's had a Metro-influenced aesthetic since ICS and now L overwhelmingly so. I'm sure underlying Android's still a horrific mess but the UI is clean and animates very well.

Razdek

Banned
Well I can't say if it's better yet, but Android's had a Metro-influenced aesthetic since ICS and now L overwhelmingly so. I'm sure underlying Android's still a horrific mess but the UI is clean and animates very well.

MS with Metro was ahead of its time but they haven't evolved it fast enough and now others are copying it but with their own spin. MS is just too slow at everything.

Totakeke

I don't know guys. Metro is fine as it is. The more complicated and more flexible it gets (see Win8 and WP revisions), the less Metro it is. The fact it took them so many years to finally exceed Metro speaks for itself.

If you want Microsoft to come up with new design language that's another thing altogether. :) As we've all seen, a forward-looking design language doesn't really help you gain market share.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
On the Windows 8 side, peoples reluctance to change hasn't helped as has some poor design decisions and poor communication between the teams. Thankfully that seems to be changing.

Totakeke

On the Windows 8 side, peoples reluctance to change hasn't helped as has some poor design decisions and poor communication between the teams. Thankfully that seems to be changing.

They're breaking down whatever design restrictions to accommodate user requests, which is what WP has been undergoing too. UI coherency will only keep getting worse until the next major revision I bet.

Razdek

Banned
I don't know guys. Metro is fine as it is. The more complicated and more flexible it gets (see Win8 and WP revisions), the less Metro it is. The fact it took them so many years to finally exceed Metro speaks for itself.

If you want Microsoft to come up with new design language that's another thing altogether. :) As we've all seen, a forward-looking design language doesn't really help you gain market share.

Are you saying that metro is perfect and there is no room to improve it? I doubt that very much.

Nero3000

Ignoring the UI aspects.

This is bringing a very attractive and cohesive ecosystem to android which is not as "rough" as prior versions of android.

It's very tempting to jump ship.

I've always said that Google's design is getting better with each release and now that they got rid of Holo completely and improved on their design once again, I'm really tempted. As someone who doesn't learn from his mistakes, I might buy a red Nexus 5 after all!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom