• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3 Update 3| Please be excited

Status
Not open for further replies.
The difference is that Google tries a little bit harder when they fail, Look at Google TV, that thing was a piece of crap that failed but they kept trying and now have Android TV. Microsoft on the other hand tries it, fails and then sees others successful at it and then tries too late to go back into that market.

Uhh... like the Xbox 360?

C4Lukins

Just got a Lumia 1520, and after just a couple of days I am enjoying it more then my IPAD 2. It seems much faster at retrieving info, and most importantly at surfing GAF. GIF heavy threads kill my IPad and often shut down the browser, no such problems with the Lumia. I really love it so far.

Cipherr

I seriously doubt those companies are using Google "instead" of MS, but rather an addition to. What exactly were they referring to? Cloud services, docs, hardware? I work at a fortune 500 company and there isn't a snowballs chance in hell that we drop Office anytime soon. In fact, we are going in deeper with Sharepoint, Lync, Servers, TFS, and Sql Servers. We also have ADID authentication for pretty much every single thing we have.

/shrug, honestly this reply sounds like every reply uttered since Google started moving beyond search and Apple announced the iPhone.

"Oh Im sure nothing will come of it".... Well, if you are right, I'm suuuuure theres nothing to worry about then..... I however hope that MS isn't still thinking like you are though. That type of short sightedness led to them being where they are today, behind in all things mobile with Apple and Google charging headlong into enterprise for mobile and other services.

JaggedSac

/shrug, honestly this reply sounds like every reply uttered since Google started moving beyond search and Apple announced the iPhone.

"Oh Im sure nothing will come of it".... Well, if you are right, I'm suuuuure theres nothing to worry about then..... I however hope that MS isn't still thinking like you are though. That type of short sightedness led to them being where they are today, behind in all things mobile with Apple and Google charging headlong into enterprise for mobile and other services.

No, the reply was simply saying that the "50% of Fortune 500 companies are using Google enterprise software instead of MS" statement was bollocks, and in fact, using personal observations, is the opposite.

Regardless, this is a WP thread. Not a MS doom thread...wait, nevermind, they are the same.

MCD

Roku is now available for both Win8.1 and WP8.

Seems like the wait for Universal Apps is finally starting to pay off.

hadareud

The Translator

I'm not sure how you got that from what he or anyone else said.

It's just that in the real world, Google's or anyone elses marketing speak means fuck all. 50% means nothing. What are they using? Is it actually deployed? And exactly what is deployed and to how many within the company. I'm not surprised that 50% of Fortune 500 companies subscribe to one or another Google package. Actually, I'm surprised that it isn't more.

Working in a field where I have a very good grasp on what kind of software, OS, services etc. companies deploy, I can guarantee that there is no chance at all that Google apps has replaced Office in 50 % of anything, start up or Fortune 500 or whatever else you want to look at. They've made big inroads on the email front and with google apps that means that companies also have access to google docs. That doesn't mean that anyone is actually using it.

Google will grow in the enterprise, there's no doubt about that. But at the moment, in its current state, there's no chance that google docs will replace Office to any noticeable extent. Could it happen at some point? Of course, anything can happen. But not if the past development of google docs is anything to go by, because it's barely better now that it was 5 years ago.

Watevaman

Does wp8.1 or is there a way in wp8 to separate media volume from ringer volume? I'm tired of turning down the volume for YouTube and then forgetting to turn it back up for the ringer.

The thing I genuinely love about the new Android UI is the use of colors. It's not just flat design with some typography and an an accent color, like Metro has been on Windows Phone for what feels like a decade now (it's been 4 years, but still feels like a decade). While it has changed since Windows Phone 7 (Series), it didn't necessarily chance in a direction I liked. Getting rid of the gutter, fine, whatever. But cramming more tiles onto the screen and yet doing absolutely nothing with them feels lazy. Live Tiles haven't changed since 2011, when Mango introduced double sided tiles. That's such a long time. Stepping into Android around Jelly Bean was a big mistake and I really regret that, but I'd have no problem dumping my Lumia for a Nexus 5 right now.

The thing I genuinely love about the new Android UI is the use of colors. It's not just flat design with some typography and an an accent color, like Metro has been on Windows Phone for what feels like a decade now (it's been 4 years, but still feels like a decade). While it has changed since Windows Phone 7 (Series), it didn't necessarily chance in a direction I liked. Getting rid of the gutter, fine, whatever. But cramming more tiles onto the screen and yet doing absolutely nothing with them feels lazy. Live Tiles haven't changed since 2011, when Mango introduced double sided tiles. That's such a long time. Stepping into Android around Jelly Bean was a big mistake and I really regret that, but I'd have no problem dumping my Lumia for a Nexus 5 right now.

i really have to say that 'L' looks very, very appealing aesthetically. just need to see what phones are out around november time when my 920 upgrade comes around.
i mean guys, have you seen titanfall the apps?

Ape

Banned

I'd be okay with any of the ecosystems.

Cipherr

I'm not sure how you got that from what he or anyone else said.

It's just that in the real world, Google's or anyone elses marketing speak means fuck all. 50% means nothing. What are they using? Is it actually deployed? And exactly what is deployed and to how many within the company.

Honestly if you read my post, that line was cherry picked from a statement with a much broader message. Im not sure why folks honed in on that one thing as if it even really matters. My message was that MS absolutely should not sit on its hands pretending that smart watches and these moves for television will all fail. But whatever...

Totakeke

Hah, Android L definitely looks nice but it's a better idea to jump in in another year when it has propagated sufficiently into third party apps. Unlike Windows Phone where we had years of having cohesive app designs, Android will take some time to catch up on that assuming even if most designers would care.

I wonder now with all these different design languages, will it detract cross platform apps? Will it take a lot effort to design something that belong in Metro, iOS8, and Material Design? I think the most difficult one to port across platforms is the Material Design concept of layering which definitely looks most unique out of the bunch right now. How is the iOS7 design language propagating into apps anyway one year on? We need some way to measure all this. :p

Totakeke

Well... it's not using more colors, it's just using more colored backgrounds with shadows. More colors would be something like Windows 8 start screen. It's using a theme of colors like what Apple is using. In fact the most colorful screen they've shown so far is probably also the ugliest.

H9lg6eH.jpg

They've shown various different apps each with its own major color, but I wonder how are they deciding what app have what color? Or is it random? Or it's similar to WP where you just set one theme color and all apps follow that color?

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Just on the conversation from a few days ago about HTC's software support on Android

HTC One M8 promised Android L upgrade within 90 days of L launching

Seems they are starting to pull their finger out on Android at least.

I have an m8 and so I'm happy about this announcement, but you should be aware that HTC has made promises like that in the past and failed to live up to them. So I'll believe it when I get the update, although like I said before it won't matter much because I'm using a skin anyway.

frontieruk

I have an m8 and so I'm happy about this announcement, but you should be aware that HTC has made promises like that in the past and failed to live up to them. So I'll believe it when I get the update, although like I said before it won't matter much because I'm using a skin anyway.

the M7 was well supported

I really don't understand how Apple and Google could beat Microsoft to that. Getting your phone notifications on your PC or Laptop and texting from your PC should've all happened with Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8. And yet we just now got IE tab syncing between phone and PC (useless for me, because I don't even use IE on PC).

Really, I have no idea how some obvious things aren't there yet. They have everything they need. I'd love to talk with someone from MS about that, without getting it filtered through PR. Too bad we don't have any tech journalists and only bloggers.

http://www.wpcentral.com/threshold-confirmed-project-management-listings
Sources close to Windows Phone Central have revealed that notification-syncing between Windows and Windows Phone is one of the goals of the project.

Lets hope they finally do it this time.

Guys

Skype got updated

They mentioned fast resume. Open the app, jump to a few others, hit Skype again, 5+ second resume screen....

-----------------

Feels like everyday WP Central posts about 930 available to order in another few countries. Downright amazing that I can't get that phone in the US.

They mentioned fast resume. Open the app, jump to a few others, hit Skype again, 5+ second resume screen....

-----------------

Feels like everyday WP Central posts about 930 available to order in another few countries. Downright amazing that I can't get that phone in the US.

The 930 is available in the US, it's just exclusive to Verizon. They're just selling it as the Icon. Other than the same it's the same phone.

MCD

Are we having another influx of major apps? It sure feels like it. Yesterday Roku officially came to Windows Phone and Windows 8. Skype just gained Cortana support on Windows Phone. Zappos finally came a few days ago. It was also just yesterday that A&E, History and Lifetime dropped official apps for their channels into the Windows Phone Store.

You know where this is going. It's time to finally welcome Adobe Photoshop Express into the Windows Phone family.

http://www.wpcentral.com/adobe-photoshop-express-now-available-windows-phone

http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/s...-express/2ba43182-ba12-42c0-b503-158284f48bf8

8.1 is coming soon it seems.

hadareud

The Translator
First Direct have also just released an app.

That better mean that HSBC is close behind, or else.

If they don't release an app soon I'm going to change banks.

Good, then stop saying it's not available in the US. It's like saying the Lumia 1020 isn't in the US, because it's not on Verizon.
*Not available to a lot of the WP customers in the US, including myself* Happy?

930 is the standard size flagship, competes against Samsung Galaxy and HTC M8. The fact that it's not widely available in the US is just flat out stupid on Nokia's part.

Tomcat

-----------------

its definitely way faster now. but wtf with no file transfer yet

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I know a few gaffers who have been dying to make physical love to their Apple devices to compliment the verbal lovemaking they've been doing for years.

It's been almost a month with the 620 w/ Windows 8.1. Cortana's usefulness while driving (hands-free SMS handling is the best of the virtual assistants, bar none) makes me want a brand-spanking new Windows Phone. It's just that everything else in WP doesn't match that high.

Ape

Banned
José Mourinho;118403783 said:
I'm just under a year away from an upgrade, it's so sad, cause I sort of want to jump ship to Android now. WP is quickly losing it's appeal.

Just watched the video on the unfortunately named Android L. It looks good. If performance is there I might jump back onto the Google boat in a few months time.

*sigh* My Windows Home Server is probably on its last legs (built in 2009).

Not sure what to do...

Don't worry, Microsoft thought of a replacement for WHS. It's called Windows Server 2012 Essentials and only costs five times as much as your old WHS license. Alternatively you can use Windows 8, which has a drive extender as well, but doesn't come with a nice management console. I gave up on WHS a year ago and just installed a copy of Server 2008 R2. Remote desktop is not as elegant or nice as the Server Connector and no drive pools kinda sucks, but it works.

Nero3000

Don't worry, Microsoft thought of a replacement for WHS. It's called Windows Server 2012 Essentials and only costs five times as much as your old WHS license. Alternatively you can use Windows 8, which has a drive extender as well, but doesn't come with a nice management console.

Yeah has to be the Windows 8 route.

Question is do I just beef up to storage of my current desktop, or build a new one.

Nero3000

Yeah, I went the Windows 8 route. It works well.

What are you doing with your WHS now? Is it just a file server?

Mostly file storage. The built in back up feature stopped with windows 8.

Other than that I run plex and ps3 media server off of it. On occasion I upload files from work through the web access.

Probably makes sense to buy a couple 4TB drives to put into my desktop, and run it from there. But considering the option of creating a htpc with 7 drive capacity.

Fjolle

Mostly file storage. The built in back up feature stopped with windows 8.

Other than that I run plex and ps3 media server off of it. On occasion I upload files from work through the web access.

Probably makes sense to buy a couple 4TB drives to put into my desktop, and run it from there. But considering the option of creating a htpc with 7 drive capacity.

I kinda want to build something with Windows 2012 server to play with, but I can't really figure out what i would use it for that could justify buying any hardware. I might just get some more ram and set it up as a VM instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom