• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3 Update 3| Please be excited

Status
Not open for further replies.

maeh2k

Phones, tablets, watches, cars, TVs... Google seems pretty much unstoppable. Microsoft certainly can't compete with that.

For now I'll still get the Lumia 930.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
The vast majority of people who own an android device, including me, own a device with skinned android, so I won't see most of the announced ui changes anyway. It'll slowly filter through with apps, at best. It's the under the hood stuff that I care about.

Milchjon

Phones, tablets, watches, cars, TVs... Google seems pretty much unstoppable. Microsoft certainly can't compete with that.

For now I'll still get the Lumia 930.

Google is fucking scary.

I know it's highly irrational, but one of my key problems with getting an Android phone is buying into Google.

Nero3000

Microsoft isn't far behind, Microsoft just has a lot more legacy. Remember who first showed mobile-like apps on the laptop and the world reacted with horror?

Its not the apps. It the whole Ecosystem.

Phone notifications on PC/Tablet
Miracasting to an Xbox One
etc.

EDIT: Going for office....this one im not so worried about.

Apple and Google in the last couple months have both shown impressive integration of their mobile and desktop OS.

These features are really cool and I want to see MS do this. Hell, they promised a synced messaging application to windows 8 about 2 years ago and it's never happened. :/

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
That visual redesign doesn't look very drastic. In fact, it looks very similar to the HTC sense skin I'm using, which I like.

Nero3000

Apple and Google in the last couple months have both shown impressive integration of their mobile and desktop OS.

These features are really cool and I want to see MS do this. Hell, they promised a synced messaging application to windows 8 about 2 years ago and it's never happened. :/

They showed answering calls on your PC with Longhorn.

Totakeke

Its not the apps. It the whole Ecosystem.

Phone notifications on PC/Tablet
Miracasting to an Xbox One
etc.

EDIT: Going for office....this one im not so worried about.

Showing phone notifications on the PC isn't a super challenging problem. No one is far behind on that.

And connecting Phone to Laptop.

How is Microsoft so far behind?

EDIT: Real applications on chrome books...now a real OS?

I really don't understand how Apple and Google could beat Microsoft to that. Getting your phone notifications on your PC or Laptop and texting from your PC should've all happened with Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8. And yet we just now got IE tab syncing between phone and PC (useless for me, because I don't even use IE on PC).

Really, I have no idea how some obvious things aren't there yet. They have everything they need. I'd love to talk with someone from MS about that, without getting it filtered through PR. Too bad we don't have any tech journalists and only bloggers.

Totakeke

Not just showing notification, answering calls, replying to text messages, alarms, sending navigation routes etc.

They did show continuing to answer calls across platforms some years ago on some unveiling through Skype. Was it the Xbox One? Sending text messages, alarms, navigation routes, isn't that difficult. The question is more why they are not focusing integrating the different platforms (we all know why, don't we), not that they're far behind.

JaggedSac

I personally don't care about notifications between the two at all. Those are gimmicks. What really matters is getting some major players in the application and product space to care about Windows Phone. Such as Sonos, home automation systems, etc. Those are sticking points for people.

maeh2k

Google is fucking scary.

I know it's highly irrational, but one of my key problems with getting an Android phone is buying into Google.

And of course they also have home automation, home surveillance, military robots, self-driving cars, satellites...

You think this tv and watch stuff will take off?

Who knows. It certainly won't take off because of consumer demand, but if Google can entice TV manufacturers to integrate their stuff, it can easily take off.

Edit: just look at Chromebooks. There are now 15 OEMs that make those.

bedlamite

Whether or not they do, the point is that Google's pushing out products before MS; establishing that mindshare early on. Once again MS is late to the party. Google is just iterating so much faster than both Apple and MS that it does seem like nobody will ever be able to catch up.

maeh2k

"Google is really making Microsoft Office hurt in the enterprise: 67 of the top 100 startups went Google. 58% of Fortune 500. 72 of top 100 universities."

If I had any MS stock, I'd start selling :)

maeh2k

Whether or not they do, the point is that Google's pushing out products before MS; establishing that mindshare early on. Once again MS is late to the party. Google is just iterating so much faster than both Apple and MS that it does seem like nobody will ever be able to catch up.

I'd say Microsoft was way too early to the party. They had smart watches like a decade ago and they also did some TV things and car things. They just made the mistake of getting the timing wrong and not being Google.

I'd say Microsoft was way too early to the party. They had smart watches like a decade ago and they also did some TV things and car things. They just made the mistake of getting the timing wrong and not being Google.

WebTV, SmartWatch, Auto PC and most famously TabletPC.

Too shitty, too soon.

Ape

Banned
Thurrott is a weird dude.

The right description may be "salty", but I hate that word with a passion.

I didn't know what you were talking about so I thought I would check his Twitter feed and Jesus. Google could have invented immortality and he would say "I'd eventually get bored."

Cipherr

I don't know guys. Metro is fine as it is. The more complicated and more flexible it gets (see Win8 and WP revisions), the less Metro it is. The fact it took them so many years to finally exceed Metro speaks for itself.

If you want Microsoft to come up with new design language that's another thing altogether. :) As we've all seen, a forward-looking design language doesn't really help you gain market share.

Its time. Look back at Wp7 and Metro. Yeaaaaars ago. Android has overhauled its UI twice since then if you count Android L they showed today. I don't think anyone would blame MS for doing a redesign of Windows Phone. Its long past time. I'm still of the opinion that the Metro tile design puts people off.

Look, Im living in a world where Google just announced they service over 50% of fortune 500 companies instead of Microsoft. And also living in a world where they have plugged away at TV failing over and over spectacularly (LOL remember the Nexus Q?) until they finally found something that caught fire (Chromecast). Oh, and also.... Chromebooks are actually gaining steam. Its still hard for me to even say that without having an aneurysm.

So who knows, this stuff may very well take off, so MS should be hammering away at it alongside everyone else.

I'd say Microsoft was way too early to the party.

I can agree with that. They were very far in advance of most of this stuff.

JaggedSac

Look, Im living in a world where Google just announced they service over 50% of fortune 500 companies instead of Microsoft. And also living in a world where they have plugged away at TV failing over and over spectacularly (LOL remember the Nexus Q?) until they finally found something that caught fire (Chromecast). Oh, and also.... Chromebooks are actually gaining steam. Its still hard for me to even say that without having an aneurysm.

So who knows, this stuff may very well take off, so MS should be hammering away at it alongside everyone else.

I seriously doubt those companies are using Google "instead" of MS, but rather an addition to. What exactly were they referring to? Cloud services, docs, hardware? I work at a fortune 500 company and there isn't a snowballs chance in hell that we drop Office anytime soon. In fact, we are going in deeper with Sharepoint, Lync, Servers, TFS, and Sql Servers. We also have ADID authentication for pretty much every single thing we have.

Razdek

Banned
"Google is really making Microsoft Office hurt in the enterprise: 67 of the top 100 startups went Google. 58% of Fortune 500. 72 of top 100 universities."

If I had any MS stock, I'd start selling :)

Wow, didn't think Google Docs had this kind of traction but it's bad news for MS no matter what.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
I seriously doubt those companies are using Google "instead" of MS, but rather an addition to. What exactly were they referring to? Cloud services, docs, hardware? I work at a fortune 500 company and there isn't a snowballs chance in hell that we drop Office anytime soon. In fact, we are going in deeper with Sharepoint, Lync, Servers, TFS, and Sql Servers. We also have ADID authentication for pretty much every single thing we have.
Yeah my company is exchange, sharepoint, office, lync, windows etc.. Basically Microsoft/Oracle/Cisco. Google is non existent outside of just some normal consumer stuff.

Yeah there's no way in hell that half of the fortune 500 companies aren't using office and other popular MS enterprise applications/tool sets.

My company is a full Microsoft shop. We don't use any Google stuff and they aren't ever in the discussion that I know of when we talk new tech to adopt.

hadareud

The Translator
I'd be shocked if even 1% of fortune 500 companies doesn't use office at all.

My company has been trying to push in that direction for years and there's been zero movement apart from using Gmail. Why? Because people don't put up with it.

Everyone uses Office.

hadareud

The Translator
ZSDJvjY.png

hadareud

The Translator
Even gmail barely works as a professional email application.

It got better over the years, but you are still very restricted in what you can do apart from writing simple emails. For anything more, you have to use outlook. Organising yourself with google calendar is catastrophic too.

I would think that well over half of the people in my company use app sync and outlook.

And just about no one uses google docs and google drive etc. I know of none, but statistically there has to be a few weirdos out there.

MCD

Almost everyone I know love Android because look at the cool 3d UI bro. New design is not a threat as much as lack of features.

stktt

Banned
I can't agree with the Metro criticisms at all. It's as beautiful now as it was when it launched, and aspects of it have been updated over the years as necessary. I would hate to see the design changed for the sake of change. Stuff like the smaller headers in 8.1 or the Bing suite of applications seems like a more logical progression.

hadareud

The Translator
It will be hilarious to see the people that have ridiculed tiles for years as complete shite now having to use and love them.

MarkusRJR

After Google I/O I can't help but feel how stale Windows Phone has become in terms of fluidness and style (note: I haven't tried 8.1 so I don't know if it changes a lot). Microsoft really feels super behind both Apple and Google in terms of ecosystem and general experience imo.

A shame since I legititmately like WP7 and WP8.

KageMaru

Considering how much of the public is oblivious to WP, I think the UI is still eye-catching. People ask me about my phone constantly at work where iPhones and Android dominate. Still get compliments to how cool my home screen looks.

Yeah. It is not as convenient and stuff like the daily glance isn't in Celsius. She finally has my new commute down which is sweet.

Did you do anything for her to learn your commute? Cortana knows where I live and work because I entered the information. However I can't figure out how to teach her my commute to work. Would love it of she told me about traffic in the morning.

Nero3000

Yup fortune 500 here: Office365, Exchange, Lync, SharePoint. Implemented horriby, but that's another issue.

They actively block stuff like Google Docs and Google Drive (along with OneDrive and Office Online).

bedlamite

Metro as a design language is beautiful and still is a long way from looking obsolete, however MS had better hurry the fuck up with iterating WP though.

Vyer

Look, Im living in a world where Google just announced they service over 50% of fortune 500 companies instead of Microsoft.

I seriously doubt those companies are using Google "instead" of MS, but rather an addition to. What exactly were they referring to? Cloud services, docs, hardware?

Last year's earning call they mentioned 50%.

Lastly on the enterprise front, that’s another great revenue stream for Google. It comprises productivity apps like Docs and Gmail as well as our Cloud infrastructure. Now more than half of the Fortune 500 companies use the paid enterprise product from Google, and over 5 million businesses use our productivity apps. This means we have close long-term relationships with our enterprise customers. New customers this quarter includes some of our worlds leading businesses, like Federal Express, which has built their store locator in Google Maps, Snapchat which runs an application with Google’s Cloud infrastructure and LinkedIn is using Google Search Appliance. New Google apps customers include Pearson, Keller Williams Realty and the city of Boston. And HP is now Google apps reseller combining Google’s software with HP’s hardware for an initiative to help small businesses called SMB IT in a Box.

But it sounds a little more open ended, rather than companies just, say, switching to Google Docs instead of Office. Not sure what is all covered under 'paid enterprise product'. If a business using Google Maps for store locators counts, for example, then you've got a lot of wiggle room.

PG2G

My company uses Google search internally but were a Microsoft shop for everything else. If that is taken into account the number makes sense

JaggedSac

Yup fortune 500 here: Office365, Exchange, Lync, SharePoint. Implemented horriby, but that's another issue.

They actively block stuff like Google Docs and Google Drive u(along with OneDrive and Office Online).

Yeah, strangely they block OneDrive.com, but if I go to Oulook.com first, and then navigate to OneDrive using the top panel, then it works.

Last year's earning call they mentioned 50%.

But it sounds a little more open ended, rather than companies just, say, switching to Google Docs instead of Office. Not sure what is all covered under 'paid enterprise product'. If a business using Google Maps for store locators counts, for example, then you've got a lot of wiggle room.

That statement absolutely just means that those companies are paying for some sort of google service.

Razdek

Banned
WebTV, SmartWatch, Auto PC and most famously TabletPC.

Too shitty, too soon.

The difference is that Google tries a little bit harder when they fail, Look at Google TV, that thing was a piece of crap that failed but they kept trying and now have Android TV. Microsoft on the other hand tries it, fails and then sees others successful at it and then tries too late to go back into that market.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom