• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3 Update 3| Please be excited

Status
Not open for further replies.

n64coder

The built in back up feature stopped with windows 8.

According to Paul Thurott, you still have the same backup functionality in Windows 8. For 7, you can still do system image backups but for Win 8 clients, there's a different approach. Read through this for more details.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
To the folks in this thread who follow me on instagram: I apologize in advance that my island photos won't be as awesome as they were last year. #waitformclaren

So, my Lumia 800 decided to randomly crash while playing music yesterday. No big deal usually, a quick soft reset usually sets it straight. Not this time, though. The phone wouldn't react to any button combination, staying dead the entire evening. It had a full charge, too. When I got home and plugged it into the charger, it started vibrating, reset itself, and when it woke up it had my date set to november 2011. All my other stuff was still intact, and the phone seemed to work again, so I decided this was just a one-off thing and left it to charge.

Today, however, the same thing happened. It just went dead, and only responded when I plugged it into a power outlet. I've done some searching, and I can't really find anything good. Is it done for?

hankster

0u86YMt.jpg

Enjoy.

Paganmoon

I thought I read that the wallet would support pkpass files with 8.1, did I just imagine that? Trying passbook converter which seems to work great though, but rather not pay for it if it's coming with the built in app. ( damn I can be cheap sometimes...)

Milchjon

I thought I read that the wallet would support pkpass files with 8.1, did I just imagine that? Trying passbook converter which seems to work great though, but rather not pay for it if it's coming with the built in app. ( damn I can be cheap sometimes...)

Worked without a hitch for me the last time I booked a flight.

Nero3000

@evleaks said:
This is pretty exciting: Microsoft is reportedly in the final stages of licensing the Nokia brand, for the purpose of calling the handsets “Nokia by Microsoft.” Furthermore, say goodbye to Surface, and hello to Lumia, as the tablet lineup faces brand streamlining.

Kinda liked the surface brand.

Someone posturized this back in December:
I was thinking about alternatives this morning and decided my favorite was to initially keep the current Nokia Lumia xxxx branding scheme but in a very low-key way make it “Nokia by Microsoft”. You’d just say Nokia, but in writing there would be a small “by Microsoft” under the Nokia. Then over the course of 12-18 months you’d emphasize the Lumia name and reduce saying Nokia. By the end of two years you drop Nokia entirely and it is the Microsoft Lumia xxxx, but you still emphasize Lumia as the brand.

maeh2k

The Surface brand is just so perfectly suited for that kind of touch device. I just hope they aren't going to call is something like the Lumia 4500.

I prefer the Surface name over Lumia. With Lumia I associate bulky, but sturdy and colorful devices. Basically the exact opposite of Surface.

Zeknurn

While I like the Surface brand it's no argument that the Lumia brand is far far more successful.

I would have gone with Surface for the x86 devices and Lumia for the ARM devices. They're going to be running different SKUs with Threshold so it makes sense to have a single brand for each family of devices.

Swap out a flop with another flop? Yea that makes a lot of sense.

Atleast the flop they are swapping it with has better worldwide brand recognition in the consumer space. In the business space it doesn't matter as much considering they will be informed that the products are the same but renamed.

Razdek

Banned
Atleast the flop they are swapping it with has better worldwide brand recognition in the consumer space. In the business space it doesn't matter as much considering they will be informed that the products are the same but renamed.

You think that changing the name to Lumia is going to make a difference at the prices the Surfaces are priced at? It's a premium product that is out of range for the average consumer. Why waste the time and effort into doing this?

Cipherr

You think that changing the name to Lumia is going to make a difference at the prices the Surfaces are priced at? It's a premium product that is out of range for the average consumer. Why waste the time and effort into doing this?

Are they changing it to Nokia by Microsoft or to Lumia? It might be a wash in terms of worldwide recognition between Surface and Lumia, but if they get to use the Nokia name, then thats a CLEAR upgrade in worldwide recognition.

hadareud

The Translator
The talk about the 2 brands being failures is a load of complete shite in my humble opinion.

Lumia has a very good name for budget devices, and surface has a good name as a high end tablet.

Milchjon

Aaaaand... I dropped my 920 face first on the ground. Beautiful spider web of cracks.

Legit sad right now. Was the first time ever really dropped it, too.

What's the best way of getting it repaired? Does Nokia have some direct way of handling this in Europe?

All of you are breaking your phones intentionally aren't you?

Yeah. At least be open about it, like I am.
Surface wasn't going to stay at the $900 premium price range. Unless you thing the Mini was going to be that much.

Milchjon

Didn't realize that they basically stopped selling the 920.

Can't find it for anywhere near the price that I got it for 9 months ago.

Razdek

Banned
Yeah. At least be open about it, like I am.

Surface wasn't going to stay at the $900 premium price range. Unless you thing the Mini was going to be that much.

Surface Pro models not RT ones. Even at $450 for the RT they're not selling that many and who knows about the mini as I'm willing to bet those won't sell well either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom