• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3 Update 3| Please be excited

Status
Not open for further replies.
Surface Pro models not RT ones. Even at $450 for the RT they're not selling that many and who knows about the mini as I'm willing to bet those won't sell well either.

I will buy Mini if it has the pen support and One Note. I don't care if it's even just running RT or Windows Phone apps. I would love to have 8" digital notepad. Surface 3 Pro is great but it's too big for me and I don't need all the extra. I have a laptop.

$300-400 Surface Mini (hopefully with the iPad aspect ratio. I would buy it day one. I just can't justify getting Surface 3 for just doodling and note taking.

MarkusRJR

Seriously frustrated. I recently became really invested in the Xbox Video service (maybe like $200-300 in movies and TV over a few months), and I keep running into episodes that just refuse to work. Doesn't matter the device or internet connection, they just don't work.

Getting really pissed off at MS's services lately. With Xbox Music playback issues on android and these new Xbox Video issues I really want to jump over to a different, competent ecosystem.

maeh2k

Of course they should get aggressive with Windows Phone (as a last-ditch effort to make the platform relevant), but nothing is going to change.

"I get the sense that many Android loyalists aren’t quite as enthusiastic about the platform and its flagship devices as they once were." -- Android loyalists seem pretty happy with the 5.0 announcement. Aside from iPhones, the times where people were truly excited about a new model are over. There's just nothing exciting about 'same as last year but with better specs'. I think people are starting to realize that the phones are all pretty much the same.

"The buzz around Amazon’s just announced Fire Phone also seems to prove the smartphone market is itching for something different." -- the phone where everyone is pretty much in agreement that it's going to bomb and there is no reason to get it over other phones? The idea that people are itching to try a niche OS is ludicrous. They are itching for Windows Phone like they are itching for Linux on the desktop.

"Apple is also a few months off from releasing the iPhone 6 (assuming that’s the device’s name) and the perception of the iPhone 5s has gone from cutting-end, to old hat." -- well, good think Apple will finally offer bigger screens. There'll be a lot of demand for those and people will continue to view it as the best thing ever.

As long as OEMs want to sell Android phones, they will. "People don't buy things; they are sold things.". Microsoft will gain some additional OEMs with 8.1, but it remains to be seen how much effort those will put into the platform (spoiler alert: they'll still focus on their Android offerings; the situation will mirror Samsung's and HTC's previous Windows Phone efforts).

MCD

Creating folder by dropping one live tile over another coming to Windows Phone 8.1 soon:

http://www.nokiapoweruser.com/2014/...ver-another-coming-to-windows-phone-8-1-soon/

h8czbV5.jpg

stktt

Banned
I can see myself using folders for less significant apps, but definitely not anything with a live tile. I wonder if this will be coming to Windows as well.

Milchjon

I can see myself using folders for less significant apps, but definitely not anything with a live tile. I wonder if this will be coming to Windows as well.

I was wondering what the point was considering Live Tiles and the app list.

But I guess ordering by type and people being used to them from elsewhere is a good enough reason...

Folders are more options, cool I guess although I kind of doubt I'll use them.

Speaking of the Start Screen, I switch to the third column option this week. It doesn't look as good, but the functionality advantage of using more medium and large tiles is pretty nice. There is a reason it's not the default on the 4.5" screen though, the UI elements don't quite match up with things with you actually open apps. I imagine it'll be nice on a 5" device though.

NeOak

I will buy Mini if it has the pen support and One Note. I don't care if it's even just running RT or Windows Phone apps. I would love to have 8" digital notepad. Surface 3 Pro is great but it's too big for me and I don't need all the extra. I have a laptop.

$300-400 Surface Mini (hopefully with the iPad aspect ratio. I would buy it day one. I just can't justify getting Surface 3 for just doodling and note taking.

I used the Asus Vivotab Note 8 for OneNote. I preferred the Surface Pro 2, sure. But it was fine and usable for a 8".

I hate the Metro version though. It's so limited. That is why the SP3 special mode for note taking does not appeal to me. It's the metro version.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Seriously frustrated. I recently became really invested in the Xbox Video service (maybe like $200-300 in movies and TV over a few months), and I keep running into episodes that just refuse to work. Doesn't matter the device or internet connection, they just don't work.

Getting really pissed off at MS's services lately. With Xbox Music playback issues on android and these new Xbox Video issues I really want to jump over to a different, competent ecosystem.

Xbox music has worked fine for me on android. I don't buy digital movies, but if I did I would buy from Microsoft because of my windows 8 devices. I want an xbox video app on android.

Milchjon

I think you need to implement that design carefully, though. The play button sliding down/scrubber sliding sidewards looks kinda awkward in a singular motion.

KageMaru

i guess that's why when my uncle got a Lumia from work (they switched to Windows Phone) he was upset and said he wanted a Galaxy. he even said he would 'rather go back to Blackberry' than be 'stuck' with the Lumia :(

This kind of attitude annoys me. A friend recently said he doesn't like WP after I let him mess around with my phone. When I asked why he didn't like it, he just replied back with"I don't know, I just don't like it." Even after going through a number of uses, comparing my phone to his iPhone, he still held his opinion. I understand people have their preferences, but some seem to stem from disdain for the platform instead of a logical reason.

Lol perfect.

I used the Asus Vivotab Note 8 for OneNote. I preferred the Surface Pro 2, sure. But it was fine and usable for a 8".

I hate the Metro version though. It's so limited. That is why the SP3 special mode for note taking does not appeal to me. It's the metro version.

Actually all the pen functions are available on the desktop one too. You just have to set it as the default one note app.

(You can also have all the same functionality on metro and desktop versions without the pen if you know the shortcuts: Win+Alt+N for a quick note and Win + Shift + S for a screen clipping)

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
i guess that's why when my uncle got a Lumia from work (they switched to Windows Phone) he was upset and said he wanted a Galaxy. he even said he would 'rather go back to Blackberry' than be 'stuck' with the Lumia :(

Pure bullshit. There is no way a BlackBerry is preferable to a lumia phone. But familiarity and all that, some people don't know want to learn anything new. The same thing happens when iPhone users complain about android being too complicated. I'm surprised you of all people would bring up this example as valid counterpoint to consumers being lazy and just going with what's popular.

This kind of attitude annoys me. A friend recently said he doesn't like WP after I let him mess around with my phone. When I asked why he didn't like it, he just replied back with"I don't know, I just don't like it." Even after going through a number of uses, comparing my phone to his iPhone, he still held his opinion. I understand people have their preferences, but some seem to stem from disdain for the platform instead of a logical reason.

Lol perfect.

My mom was like that when I put her on an iPhone (coming from a Blackberry) last year. It took a month or two but now she prefers it. People just dont like change.
I would have put her on a Windows Phone if not for the fact that Virgin Mobile Canada only had the terrible 8s at the time... a device which they promptly forgot even existed a month after she got her iPhone

i would have thought WP would be just fine for him, i mean, he uses WhatsApp and BBM is coming soon, it's just ... i dunno. he seemed to be using the device just fine.

Pure bullshit. There is no way a BlackBerry is preferable to a lumia phone. But familiarity and all that, some people don't know want to learn anything new. The same thing happens when iPhone users complain about android being too complicated. I'm surprised you of all people would bring up this example as valid counterpoint to consumers being lazy and just going with what's popular.
i don't think its that he didn't want to learn 'anything' new, it just seemed like he didn't want to use WP8. *shrug*

NeOak

Actually all the pen functions are available on the desktop one too. You just have to set it as the default one note app.

(You can also have all the same functionality on metro and desktop versions without the pen if you know the shortcuts: Win+Alt+N for a quick note and Win + Shift + S for a screen clipping)

It's Win + S and Win + N on 7. Win8 used those for BS D:

MCD

believe it or not, but some people regard WP UI as "complicated". tiles are too much for them.

the only complicated part for me is the stupid, STUPID cut off text. did they fix or animate it in WP8.1?

believe it or not, but some people regard WP UI as "complicated". tiles are too much for them.

the only complicated part for me is the stupid, STUPID cut off text. did they fix or animate it in WP8.1?

Sort of. There is a new style of pivot headers to 8.1 with smaller text that doesn't cut off. They still shift as you swipe through pivots and then they would be cut off.

Heretic

So it finally happened...

I dropped my 1020...

in the toilet...

but it survived! I had a rubber case on it and no water went through!

bedlamite

Xbox Music is just utterly fucked, and the sad thing is that it seems the team in France don't seem to know how to fix shit, or are just moving waaay too slowly. I just halted my XM sub and signed up with Spotify. Will gladly go back to XM once they sort out the fuckery in the music app.

It seems like all these loading/music access issues stem from the continual DRM checks the app runs. Like every fucking time you exit and go back into it you'll see the DRM check kick in again. If you're without a data connection, welp, you can forget about listening to anything! I understand the video app is similarly fucked; these are basic apps and need to be fixed ASAP.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I was literally just driving through the mountains a few hours ago with no connection and didn't have a problem with Xbox Music. For the most part it has been working fine for me except a bit sluggish.

stktt

Banned
All it's missing is a live tile, lockscreen support, recent history, and performance that doesn't involve constantly stuttering, loading, resuming, and looking for music.

At this rate, I might prefer it to the old app by the end of the year.

Nero3000

All it's missing is a live tile, lockscreen support, recent history, and performance that doesn't involve constantly stuttering, loading, resuming, and looking for music.

Recently played and added list too.

Minor things like fixing the alphabetising list.

Milchjon

Call me an vision-less dumbo, but I still can't see this being more than a gimmick and definitely not something that will "upset the world"

Especially since most of the interesting stuff would require a software overhaul that I can't see MS doing considering the implications for the rest of the WP ecosystem.

hadareud

The Translator
Call me an vision-less dumbo, but I still can't see this being more than a gimmick and definitely not something that will "upset the world"

Especially since most of the interesting stuff would require a software overhaul that I can't see MS doing considering the implications for the rest of the WP ecosystem.

Entirely depends on how long they've been working on this I would say.

The question is whether it's a gimmick no matter how deeply it's integrated. Which I sort of think it will be.

It won't upset the world either way though, even if it's the best thing since sliced bread, which it won't be.

Since 8.1 preview I'm having these kinda of performance issues on many apps, so maybe it's something that will get ironed out after final even if the app isn't updated.

Ape

Banned
I'm just going to be open minded about the whole thing. 3D touch sounds like a throw away feature but I hope I'm wrong...

Nero3000

Even if it is amazing, all the reviewers will be like "ios and android don't do it, so its WRONG!. Good luck next time M$ lol"

All I hope is that they start getting some new, compelling devices out.

The Skype integration with the phone is supposed to be video only, or there's a way to set it up as the default dialer? (preferable to selected numbers only)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom