• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3 Update 3| Please be excited

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doffen

Why the fuck did they buy "Nokia" only to make Android devices?
Microsoft already earns enough of royalty with Android, there is no need for them to support the platform with hardware.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I was out-bid on a red one yesterday on eBay in the dying seconds. Thought I was finally going to come back to Android. Came close again with a white and the HTC One M8 too. I think I'm settled on one of those two.

As an update, that awesome battery life I was enjoying on my m8 is now history. Some app or process is killing my battery, this is what I hate about android. I don't feel like wasting time going through a bunch of crap to find out what is happening, the built in tools aren't giving me enough information. I hate having to micro manage my phone, I didn't miss this at all.

As an update, that awesome battery life I was enjoying on my m8 is now history. Some app or process is killing my battery, this is what I hate about android. I don't feel like wasting time going through a bunch of crap to find out what is happening, the built in tools aren't giving me enough information. I hate having to micro manage my phone, I didn't miss this at all.

I'm not so sure if that's worse than getting mediocre battery life across the board on human-sized phones either.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
It is worse because you can't miss what you never had. To have amazing battery life and then lose it sucks. Dammit I'm so angry right now.

Edit: the bonus for you, brot, is that your N5 will have shit battery life from the get go and you never owned a 1020 so the shitty camera won't be a problem either! Ignorance is truly bliss!

kharma45

Don't tell me things like that and spoil my dream.

It is worse because you can't miss what you never had. To have amazing battery life and then lose it sucks. Dammit I'm so angry right now.

Edit: the bonus for you, brot, is that your N5 will have shit battery life from the get go and you never owned a 1020 so the shitty camera won't be a problem either! Ignorance is truly bliss!

Now that is something I agree with. It's like all the people who never had wireless charging build-in and say "well, just slap that case on it".

Thankfully, the battery life of the Nexus 5 can't be worse than the one my 920 gets these days. Like, it's literally impossible.

e: According to GSM Arena, OOTB it is indeed worse than what the 920 gets. Well, fuck me.

xZFwhmx.jpg

lfqa3aF.jpg

That is some fucked up shit. What's worse is that web browsing (just GAF, really), is all I do on my phone. Seeing how it's worse than what I have today is just.. not great.

Razdek

Banned
Now that is something I agree with. It's like all the people who never had wireless charging build-in and say "well, just slap that case on it".

Thankfully, the battery life of the Nexus 5 can't be worse than the one my 920 gets these days. Like, it's literally impossible.

e: According to GSM Arena, OOTB it is indeed worse than what the 920 gets. Well, fuck me.

xZFwhmx.jpg

lfqa3aF.jpg

That is some fucked up shit. What's worse is that web browsing (just GAF, really), is all I do on my phone. Seeing how it's worse than what I have today is just.. not great.

I can confirm that the Nexus 5 battery life is shit bubut you can try new Roms and the Greenify app to improve it. It just sucks OOTB and you have to micro manage a lot if you really want to maximize it. But the good thing is that standby doesn't drain nearly as bad when compared to my HTC 8X.

I dont believe there's an Android Lumia but I do believe they got Android apps to run on WP.

I think MS can only make this work for apps who's developers refuse to support WP like Tinder.

Razdek

Banned
MS to roll out an Android Lumia? Just as WP8.1 is about to get an official rollout?

MS can't be that fucking dumb, can they?

I'm willing to bet that they make the stupidest logic in order to justify it. "By making high end Lumia devices with Android it will show users how beautiful the hardware is and then they'll want to try out the Windows Phone OS and complete their Windows experience". Something stupid along those lines.

Milchjon

I can't see how MS' hacky approaches to Android won't inevitably turn to shit.

If they open up WP to Android apps, it would absolutely kill any incentive to develop native apps. So after a while, if all we get is Android apps, what's the purpose of WP?

If they continue using forks of Android... Well, that's shit for obvious reasons.

I'd rather see them turn into a great device manufacturer for (full blown) Android with some interesting exclusive Software on top than either of the above :-(

In other, more happy news:

Nokia Lumia 1525

Snapdragon 801
Ships with Windows Phone 8.1
Rest the same as 1520

This will surely turn those terrible sales around for MS.

Consolidation. Consolidation. Consolidation. They need to consolidate into like 4 different devices Low, Med, High, Specialty(which includes Camera Phone, Phablets). Fuck Carrier exclusives, if you need a carrier to promote it, jump over the companies and hit the employees directly by having a site which monetarily promotes sales reps to sell the phones. They need to not be afraid of their mountains of cash.

I can't see how MS' hacky approaches to Android won't inevitably turn to shit.

If they open up WP to Android apps, it would absolutely kill any incentive to develop native apps. So after a while, if all we get is Android apps, what's the purpose of WP?

If they continue using forks of Android... Well, that's shit for obvious reasons.

I'd rather see them turn into a great device manufacturer for (full blown) Android with some interesting exclusive Software on top than either of the above :-(
Honestly, the only way I can see this working is if they check their download/sales numbers upon putting their apps on the Windows Phone-android Store. I'm only a small developer, and have done no marketing whatsoever and if I look at my Dev Center it sits at 8000+ downloads. 97% of that being a (really crappy) game I made in 24 hours and released last year and the 3% being my anime tracking app which I released back in December.

I'm not sure whats normal for the other appstores since I haven't put stuff on them, but I've heard that its extremely normal to never get more than 0-50 downloads. If thats true, then going back to the topic, we may have a good chance to get those developers to go through the process of porting their apps to Windows Phone native, if only to get rid of the bad reviews, stigma and performance of emulated apps.

PG2G

Should have just waited for the 805/810 line of chips.

805 and 810 are different lines. 801 to 805 is primarily a GPU boost. Snapdragon 808 and 810 wont be available until 2015.

Depending on how Threshold ends up, a phablet could be a pretty damn awesome device. They need to allow applications to run side by side

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
The 1520 takes great photos, better than just about any phone outside the 1020, so this could be good as long as they speed up the focus and shot to shot times.

PG2G

Didn't we all know the emphasis want going to be on number of pixels? I don't know if this is the 1020 replacement or not, but even if it is it was always rumored to have a lytro-like camera not the existing pure view.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Why the fuck did they buy "Nokia" only to make Android devices?
Microsoft already earns enough of royalty with Android, there is no need for them to support the platform with hardware.
I don't get it either.

I made a conscious decision to support Windows Phone back in 2012 when I was developing Smartglass apps for the platform. I love the UI, and was willing to wait on the app ecosystem to get up to snuff because I really believed in the vision Microsoft was selling. Fast forward to mid 2014. App availability is improving, but still dawdling in comparison. Splitting the vision between WP8 and Android seems to be the new hotness, which is quite concerning. It's like they're scared to commit. So why should I?

I'm seriously considering moving over to iOS for my next phone, despite being the sort of customer that WP8 should be trying their damndest to keep. Frustrating.

That seems to be the latest trend; WP owners who want to move on already. Have things really dried up as so? Sure, I'm a 920 owner desperately waiting for 8.1 because it should have definitely been out by now. Things move too slow. But the recent swath of apps is nice.

f0lken

That seems to be the latest trend; WP owners who want to move on already. Have things really dried up as so? Sure, I'm a 920 owner desperately waiting for 8.1 because it should have definitely been out by now. Things move too slow. But the recent swath of apps is nice.

We need new flagship phones :(

And when we all move to Firefox OS I will go all Walter Sobchak on Nadella's car

"See what happens Satia?, this is what happens when you fuck your customers on the ass"

Magni

Are any developers here having trouble with their phones not staying registered? I've had to reregister my phone every couple hours, it only takes a minute but it's a pain if I'm not near my computer and I can't use my dev app until I reregister it.

Also, is "Project my screen" the only way to share your screen? The iOS guys just plug their phone directly to the display, makes it a lot easier :(

Also, is it just me, or are voicemail messages extremely awful in regards to sound? Is that something that's fixed in 8.1? Right now, you can't just listen to it at a volume of 03 because it's like hearing a cricket fart. Put it on speakerphone and it's still too quite. I need to raise it to 20 to hear anything unlike anything else that makes sound.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom