• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3 Update 3| Please be excited

Status
Not open for further replies.

KageMaru

A 20 MP camera in McLaren isn't bad if it was never intended to be the 1020 successor.

805 and 810 are different lines. 801 to 805 is primarily a GPU boost. Snapdragon 808 and 810 wont be available until 2015.

Depending on how Threshold ends up, a phablet could be a pretty damn awesome device. They need to allow applications to run side by side

Thanks. Still would have been beneficial of them to use the 805 chip. There are phones out now using that chip.

1020 41mp camera tech has soo much untapped potential it's a shame we may never see a true successor.

For example, the 808 used software stabilization while the 1020 only used hardware. If Nokia had the time and the resources they'd add both software and hardware stabilization for superior results. Plus, there's the poor shot to shot lag that almost kills the entire 1020 experience. 808 had a special chip to help with the processing yet nothing on WP due to the OS not supporting the additional chip.

JaggedSac

It depends, if it has a bigger sensor the IQ onf the photos would be fantastic and with less noise than the 41mp ones

Very true. Sensor size is most important thing. I rarely cared about zoom capabilities of the 1020 and the downsampling never seemed to be particular awesome.

dLMN8R

a 20MP sensor also means you don't necessarily need a gigantic hump like the 1020 has. Could probably work well inside of something more like the 925.

a 20MP sensor also means you don't necessarily need a gigantic hump like the 1020 has. Could probably work well inside of something more like the 925.

I rather have a great camera with a hump. I know you work for them, but I can't see Microsoft doing something like 1020. I don't think we will see another Pureview phone.

I rather have a great camera with a hump. I know you work for them, but I can't see Microsoft doing something like 1020. I don't think we will see another Pureview phone.
I'd rather have a thicker phone and no hump, but unfortunately the backslash 920 probably means that's not going to happen.

But yeah, hump is better than having a worse camera.

The 930 would be great for me, but I can't get it on AT&T.

Someday
Plus I don't want it in white.

I want a Green one on AT&T, stop dicking around Microsoft. :(

I seriously don't want to go iPhone 6 this year, but nothing about Windows Phone seems compelling.

McLaren needs to spark my love again. Good updated specs, beautiful design, and colorful opinions again. Not just Yellow/Black/White. Yellow is good and I got Yellow because it's unique. Cyan is more unique. So is green, orange, red. Give me my colors back Nokia. :(

I can't wait to ditch my 820. Can't. Wait.

Maybe if MS have produced something compelling by the time my renewal is up I'll stay. But let's be honest, at just under a year away, there's no way it's going to happen on MS's time frame.

Android city, here I come...
Probably

JaggedSac

I doubt I will be excited by any phone hardware this year for any platform. There really isn't any more innovation from anywhere. Software or hardware.

catmincer

Sigh. I am not surprised at all about this. My 1520 is pissing me off since the 8.1 update. It randomly restarts and the touch screen screws up a lot. If this rumoured phone is indeed a high end Lumia with android, I'll actually consider it.

ElNino

Mine sadly isn't. I've given the platform enough time. Good ideas badly executed.
I would some what agree with the poorly executed ideas... but it's not all roses everywhere else from what I can see.

Having daily exposure to my wife's iPad and iPhone, as well as my friends Android devices, I really don't see anything I'm missing there. People (myself included at times) seem to always want to switch to fix all of the "problems" they have with their current phone/OS... only to realise that the new phone has different "problems".

Very true. Sensor size is most important thing. I rarely cared about zoom capabilities of the 1020 and the downsampling never seemed to be particular awesome.
The downsampling may not be as impressive as they made it sound, but I find it works pretty well for me. I zoom (re-frame) almost every photo I take after the fact so I will have a hard time replacing the 1020 with a phone that doesn't have that capability.

JaggedSac

A Zoo Tycoon game has been announced for WP and Windows 8. Plus twitter got updated.

I am not looking forward to whatever f2p garbage mechanics they have put into that game. I am saying this without looking at the announcement.

The downsampling may not be as impressive as they made it sound, but I find it works pretty well for me. I zoom (re-frame) almost every photo I take after the fact so I will have a hard time replacing the 1020 with a phone that doesn't have that capability.

You'll have some reframing capabilities with a 20mp sensor.

ElNino

A Zoo Tycoon game has been announced for WP and Windows 8. Plus twitter got updated.
Twitter now has in-line photo preview (why did it take so long?) and seems a bit quicker to me... but why does the top banner need to take up a quarter of the screen?!!!

You'll have some reframing capabilities with a 20mp sensor.
That's likely true, and I would be fine with that. I'm typically not zooming that far in, but I almost always make some small adjustments to get the framing and/or aspect ratio how I want it. My comment was more about not being interested in jumping to an iPhone or Android where the "Nokia" features of my 1020 might not be present.

I would some what agree with the poorly executed ideas... but it's not all roses everywhere else from what I can see.

Having daily exposure to my wife's iPad and iPhone, as well as my friends Android devices, I really don't see anything I'm missing there. People (myself included at times) seem to always want to switch to fix all of the "problems" they have with their current phone/OS... only to realise that the new phone has different "problems".

Yeah, I use re-frame all the time. It's actually great feature for the 1020 since you don't have to frame before you should (since the camera is so slow) you can just shoot bunch of photos then reframe it to your liking. Jagsac you should try it.

I also agree with your assessment. I have iPad that I barely use and gave it to my wife. I bought Nexus 7 and it was terrible experience. If you go into Nexus 5 thread you will see similar complain - poor battery life since last update, wifi issue, phone battery draining.

Not sure that I follow. What's the significance of this?

Some future feature to live tiles. I assume it's a part of Update 1 if Tom is just tweeting pictures of it from a phone.

------

Random Twitter app complaint: why the hell does the navigation bar take up half the screen?

Milchjon

I presume you can touch them and they expand out with more interactivity options.

Looks like some kind of quick access.

Wonder if it can actually do actions with a single tap (check in...) or just jump to a certain spot in the app. If it's the latter, I assume it has to be implemented thoughtfully to actually be an improvement.

Heretic

I presume you can touch them and they expand out with more interactivity options.
I was thinking about stuff like this the other day.

Kind of like swiping to the right on a tile will scroll through your sports teams to see the score, for example. Or for pictures, you can swipe to the right on the tile and until you get to the one you want, tap it, then it opens to it.

Things along those lines.

Make it happen, Lastflowers and DLMN8R (I apologize if I spelled your user name wrong!)

joshschw

Looks like some kind of quick access.

Wonder if it can actually do actions with a single tap (check in...) or just jump to a certain spot in the app. If it's the latter, I assume it has to be implemented thoughtfully to actually be an improvement.

Yep, it could be great if it sped things up - can I tap an email inbox and swipe to jump right into a new email? That kind of thing.

Totakeke

That definitely looks like the mixview thingy that's part of the 3D touch rumors. You guys are slacking as disappointing as WP.

nvLBrKi.png

lsd4ma9.png

http://www.wpcentral.com/microsofts-next-flagship-windows-phone-november-3d-touch

Bought a lumia 520 from amazon for $45. Figured I can use it as a beater device for music and sports GPS apps rather than my 1020.

Will probably sell my 1020 early and buy a McLaren and use this 520 in the meantime.

Ape

Banned
I hate on WP how the notification drawer cuts everything off after a couple words. This especially hurts news headlines, "RHP BRANDON L" I'd rather just see what happened and not open the ESPN app that doesn't take me to the story anyways. Same with CNN.

Razdek

Banned
If the rumors of Android emulation coming to WP is true they should just throw in the towel. What's the point of being another Blackberry?

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
If the 930 had been available on AT&T I'd have picked it up instead of the M8. I'm sure the mood in this thread would be a lot better if we had a flagship releasing this summer like the 1020 did last year. It's embarrassing that we haven't had anything other than the Verizon Icon and the 1520, which although I grew to like it, is definitely not for everyone.

stktt

Banned
Not to state the obvious, but not having some sort of flagship device across every network was a mistake. I would have rather seen the Icon scrapped altogether and the 930 released a few months later instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom