• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3 Update 3| Please be excited

Status
Not open for further replies.

maeh2k

correct me if I'm wrong but previous 2-in-1's were dual boot. The new ones have both running at the same time so you can open an android app while in windows.

developers will surely focus more on android and iOS and continue to treat WP and Metro like a red headed step child.

Not sure how exactly it's going to work in the different implementations (AMD, Intel, Asus,...) but it sounds like more than just Android apps running in Windows:
With the push of a button, user will be able to switch to the other OS in few seconds. Asus even announced a new device called Transformer Duet that will have this functionality of running both the OS on the same device.
(source)

O7dNFPf.png
You know, I've been thinking. I hope that the Nokia team comes up with a new name to call themselves when they join Microsoft. Something that isn't just "Microsoft Device Division". I mean, I've kind of grown attached to Nokia posts on twitter that they do in the name of advertising and brand awareness. It'd be a shame to lose that, or have it be abstracted behind the name of Microsoft which most people don't necessarily care about.

We come across so badly
We're rabid? Maybe in the "Which Phone should I get IOS or Android" threads where there are a bunch of Lumia 520 posts, but other than that its rare to see Windows Phone mentioned anywhere outside of Windows/Windows Phone/Xbox/Microsoft threads.

Magni

You know, I've been thinking. I hope that the Nokia team comes up with a new name to call themselves when they join Microsoft. Something that isn't just "Microsoft Device Division". I mean, I've kind of grown attached to Nokia posts on twitter that they do in the name of advertising and brand awareness. It'd be a shame to lose that, or have it be abstracted behind the name of Microsoft which most people don't necessarily care about.

I'm assuming Nokia will be like Skype, they won't lose their brand name.

I'm assuming Nokia will be like Skype, they won't lose their brand name.

Yes, they will. Microsoft acquired Nokia's handset division, not the whole company. Microsoft can keep the Lumia brand name, but they can not advertise their phones as Nokia Lumia anymore. They only get to keep the Nokia branding for the Asha phones, which is also part of the acquisition.

Magni

Whoops, confused Nokia with Lumia for a second, that brand is becoming quite strong when you consider its short history relative to the Nokia brand.

On a side note, I left Chile recently and am back in France for a bit before heading back stateside. I feel like I see even more Nokia presence here than I did in Chile (and I felt like I saw more there than when I left France in July), things are really picking up. 520s and 1020s galore, with the occasional 620 and 925. Ads all over the place as well.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
yeah, the Sony smartphone fans are in a league of their own... the only thing that came close was that first 4 months or so of HTC One fans.... but that didn'r last.

For android fanboys, the best are nexus, then Samsung, then HTC, then whatever other. The Sony guys are the worst, with the most transparent console fanboyism crossover. The Samsung guys would be number one for me if you didn't have unknown in your ranks.

Welp, I've gone and done it. Did a reset of my phone via Settings, as I recently changed my Live/Microsoft ID (switched it to one of my aliases) and my messenger/Facebook chat hadn't been working since. Been spinning gears for just about 12 hours now.

Shame I'm not due for an upgrade--I guess I'll just get a replacement? Overall, I do think I had gotten a lemon (I was an early adopter):

-Yellow hue to buttons
-Screen dims gradually/slightly at the bottom of the screen
-Occasional reboot (this happened a lot more before my first hard reset)
-Random other things (live tiles stopped working prior to first hard reset, Wifi and screen rotation stop working until a reboot)

I wish there was a way to finagle my way into a 1020.

this_guy

Welp, I've gone and done it. Did a reset of my phone via Settings, as I recently changed my Live/Microsoft ID (switched it to one of my aliases) and my messenger/Facebook chat hadn't been working since. Been spinning gears for just about 12 hours now.

Shame I'm not due for an upgrade--I guess I'll just get a replacement? Overall, I do think I had gotten a lemon (I was an early adopter):

-Yellow hue to buttons
-Screen dims gradually/slightly at the bottom of the screen
-Occasional reboot (this happened a lot more before my first hard reset)
-Random other things (live tiles stopped working prior to first hard reset, Wifi and screen rotation stop working until a reboot)

I wish there was a way to finagle my way into a 1020.

I had a Lumia 920 that took am entire weekend to factory reset. Luckily I found an HTC 8X cheap on Craigslist and had a backup phone. Just make sure to alternate your phone off and on the charger while it's doing the spinning gears thing.

Your phone will likely come back to life at some point.

I had a Lumia 920 that took am entire weekend to factory reset. Luckily I found an HTC 8X cheap on Craigslist and had a backup phone. Just make sure to alternate your phone off and on the charger while it's doing the spinning gears thing.

What are the chances that if I take it to ATT (and tell them it's been stuck like this for 15+ hours), they'll offer me a replacement? I may do that, just because of the aforementioned issues I have/had.

this_guy

What are the chances that if I take it to ATT (and tell them it's been stuck like this for 15+ hours), they'll offer me a replacement? I may do that, just because of the aforementioned issues I have/had.

That I'm not sure of. I bought mine off of Craigslist so I never tried going to AT&T, but mine was like that for more than 15 hours.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
You don't lose anything by trying. I'd give it a shot. Is there an MS store near you? Those guys seem awfully generous, you may end up with the 1020 or 1520.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Buying games on my N7 is nice, I guess. Don't see a big need for an app, but I know some folks have friends and stuff on steam. So I would like the app for others.

Is it just me, or did the WP8 image viewer provide full quality view in GDR3/Black? I don't notice any degradation while viewing photos and images even when fully zoomed out. I can see things up to 1:1 on everything, too.

Did something change?

MCD

Gabe would rather release Steam for the BlackBerry than support Windows in any way.

http://www.neowin.net/news/over-20-of-steam-subscribers-now-use-windows-8-or-81

Strange when W8/8.1 stats is getting better on Steam.

Is it just me, or did the WP8 image viewer provide full quality view in GDR3/Black? I don't notice any degradation while viewing photos and images even when fully zoomed out. I can see things up to 1:1 on everything, too.

Did something change?

I swear I read something like this before.

Success! Went to the MS store, they tried fixing it for 15 mins then gave me a 925. I was VERY close to being given a 1020, but didn't happen, unfortunately.

Now I have the problem of which ID or alias to use to sign in. I got rid of my old one, set my new one to Primary...and now it says incorrect whenever I try to use it on my phone. Oi.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Success! Went to the MS store, they tried fixing it for 15 mins then gave me a 925. I was VERY close to being given a 1020, but didn't happen, unfortunately.

Now I have the problem of which ID or alias to use to sign in. I got rid of my old one, set my new one to Primary...and now it says incorrect whenever I try to use it on my phone. Oi.

nice!

So how did that work considering you did't buy the phone from the Microsoft store? Did it cost you anything?

Thanks, everyone! Good call, Van, I wouldn't have even thought about trying that.

So how did that work considering you did't buy the phone from the Microsoft store? Did it cost you anything?

I'm not really sure. The manager was a pretty cool dude (we talked about the 1520 and 929, as he is on Verizon) and I heard him say that even though I didn't buy it from MS (I bought from ATT off contract), I should still fit under the "entitlement" program or something?

Also, it helped that they were no longer carrying the 920, haha.

EDIT: Oof, didn't realize the 925 was 16GB. Damn.

Thanks, everyone! Good call, Van, I wouldn't have even thought about trying that.

I'm not really sure. The manager was a pretty cool dude (we talked about the 1520 and 929, as he is on Verizon) and I heard him say that even though I didn't buy it from MS (I bought from ATT off contract), I should still fit under the "entitlement" program or something?

925 have an SD slot?

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Half the storage, no built in wireless charging, and no high refresh rate screen. You got owned, son!

I still think the 925 is nokia's best design.

Half the storage, no built in wireless charging, and no high refresh rate screen. You got owned, son!

I still think the 925 is nokia's best design.

On the other hand, the phone feels much lighter/thinner, and I guess I'll take matte black/gunmetal for a change, at least until I'm due for an upgrade in the summer.

I KNEW there was something off about the refresh rate :-( Miss dat butter smooth scrolling.

NeOak

So the Lumia 929/Icon will have wireless charging? lol AT&T.

The T-Mobile thing makes me consider switching. I wouldn't mind a 925 and upgrading fast with JUMP.

PG2G

I'm hoping T-Mobile gets a good device come this fall. Seriously considering dumping AT&T but wont do it if the devices I want aren't available.

I wonder if the changed software update schedule means we'll get the flagship devices in summer instead of fall now?

That sounds awesome. As to your manager experience, I always find the people who work there surprisingly fun to just talk to when browsing around, and it almost always ends itself to a purchase just because.

Nice to hear you got a new phone from it though. Grats

A 925 shell with an s800, 1080p screen and upgraded sensor would make me drool.
I'll take that plus built-in wireless charging

MCD

"We will not have the same experience as we had when Windows Phone 7 was upgraded to Windows Phone 8," Greg Sullivan, Windows Phone director of public relations at Microsoft, said in an interview Wednesday at the International CES show here.

Microsoft is in the final stages of acquiring the device business of Nokia and seems prepared to continue using the Nokia name on some smartphones. "We will have the license for the Nokia name," Sullivan said.

Microsoft expects to continue Nokia's focus on using smartphone cameras with high-quality imaging technology such as the Lumia 1020 with a 41 megapixel camera, he added.

Following Intel's unveiling here of a dual Windows 8.1 and Android processor for tablets and computers, Sullivan said it's unlikely that Microsoft will support a dual OS. "A dual OS creates a lot of complexity for users," he said. It's not clear whether he was referring to just Windows Phone devices or also to tablets.

Following reports that Microsoft wants to reduce the number of operating systems it offers, Sullivan said "it's important to support both" Windows RT 8.1 for ARM-based devices and Windows 8.1 for Intel-based devices. The debate at Microsoft is whether it will continue "Windows Phone or Windows RT -- that's the question," Sullivan said.

http://m.computerworld.com/s/article/9245273/Windows_Phone_8.0_is_upgradeable_to_8.1_Microsoft_says

A 925 shell with an s800, 1080p screen and upgraded sensor would make me drool.

I'm still undecided on the design of the 925--I don't know if I like the "pieces"-type construction. It definitely feels nice and I like the matte coloring. It's crazy how much thinner/lighter it feels than my 920.

That sounds awesome. As to your manager experience, I always find the people who work there surprisingly fun to just talk to when browsing around, and it almost always ends itself to a purchase just because.

Nice to hear you got a new phone from it though. Grats

Yeah, it was also my first MS Store experience. Those places are nice...got to tinker with some laptops/Surfaces while I was waiting. So tempting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom