• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3 Update 3| Please be excited

Status
Not open for further replies.

flippedb

Banned
what happened?

Some apps get stuck frequently now, and when I press the Windows button, the screen goes blank and I get a "Loading..." thing in the middle of the screen. Also, when I unlock the phone at times, colors would be messed up. Everything looks like viewed on a heat scanner.

The colors thing happens at least twice in a week, and the apps crashing is kind of a daily thing. Neither are that big problems, since they usually get fixed once I lock the screen on the phone, but they did come with GDR3.

Razdek

Banned
I find it funny that MS says they sold twice as many phones this Christmas than last year and outselling iPhone in other countries but they never give out numbers. What's the point of bragging about this when you won't even show just how many it was? They should just keep quiet until they're ready to show the numbers.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I can't do Touchwiz. Just. Can't. I like the Note S Pen features, but everything is so hideous in terms of icons and menus. Supposedly they are re-working touchwiz, we'll see. Their hardware (internals) are always top notch, they need work on their software and external shells, which always look like crap compared to Nokia and Apple.

That said, Nokia has me by the balls. I'll wait to see what they have before I ever consider switching. And I'm more likely to go iOS than Android if I did switch, but you just never know. I have an iPad and N7, and purchased apps on all platforms, but for phones, I really like WP.

I can't do Touchwiz. Just. Can't. I like the Note S Pen features, but everything is so hideous in terms of icons and menus. Supposedly they are re-working touchwiz, we'll see. Their hardware (internals) are always top notch, they need work on their software and external shells, which always look like crap compared to Nokia and Apple.

That said, Nokia has me by the balls. I'll wait to see what they have before I ever consider switching. And I'm more likely to go iOS than Android if I did switch, but you just never know. I have an iPad and N7, and purchased apps on all platforms, but for phones, I really like WP.
all android is hideous.

that said, I love having a W8 PC, an android tablet, and windows phone.

ElNino

Black on my 1020 lowered my Other storage from ~3.3GB to 1.2GB.

Also, the WiFi and Network (ie. LTE) icons now show a small arrow when they are transmitting data (I assume). This wasn't there before was it?

Bullza2o

Been awhile since I posted in a WP8 thread.

So I'm planning to switch to TMobile after their ETF plans were revealed. The problem is, as much as I love WP8 and my Lumia 920, there are no WPs on TMobile except the 925. I really don't want to be paying a relatively old phone for 2 years when I expect a 929 TMobile variant coming sometime soon (hopefully).

What should I do? Stick with a 521 so I can pay it off quickly and upgrade when a new WP comes out, or just move on to Android by getting a Nexus 5 or Xperia Z1S?

Also, as a Google Voice user, what are my options for texts/calls after Google kills 3rd party GV apps like MetroTalk?

The Shift

Banned
Have been playing around with App Folder:

sc7rqMA.png

Would be nice to have tile functionality(live, resize) inside the folder. Will use this layout for a while.

Bullza2o

Use the 521 until the phone of your dreams comes out

That's probably the wisest decision, thanks. New WPs and Androids are due soon, and I'm especially excited for 1080p Lumias with modern chips like Snapdragon 800. I just wish TMo gets the latest WPs not just AT&T.

Believe it or not, but I actually enjoy the apps I have on my Lumia than the Android apps on my Nexus 7. myTube is best Youtube app ever, and I use those Nokia apps frequently. I just browse the web on my N7 mostly.

I got the folder app, but I don't really know how to use it efficiently. It makes things take extra taps, and I kind of like the way I had things set up before.

I can't wait for Lumia Black for my 920. I hate how it's being forgotten about, getting updates late and not getting DNG support.

Would be nice to have tile functionality(live, resize) inside the folder. Will use this layout for a while.

I don't get it, are there more than four apps in those tiles that show four icons? If not, wouldn't it be better just to have the small tile size for those apps?

The Shift

Banned
I don't get it, are there more than four apps in those tiles that show four icons? If not, wouldn't it be better just to have the small tile size for those apps?

The screen is almost static with only very minor scroll and finishes at that last row. The app above any folder is most used for that group. Any app in the subfolder below is sorted for frequency. The two row of tiles in the middle are used the most and are positioned so I can quickly trigger them. I don't really go for a large vertical list with mid to large tiles so this is serviceable. I'm just fucking around with it for now tbh.

hwalker84

toff74

Hm.

1vBPzdY.png

is better than "Waiting for approval".

I'll give it a week!

But i just cant help pressing 'check for up[dates' every 5 minutes!!

It doesn't help that i got the missus a 925 2 weeks ago and received her update last night

I'm an 920 owner on EE

Nooooooo!!!

Doffen

I really want Sony to go WP because it will mean that we will get more Japanese support in terms of games, apps and especially maps.

Fuck HERE maps for still not supporting Japan.

Will be interesting if Windows Phone also will get PlayStation Now.

Will be interesting if Windows Phone also will get PlayStation Now.

Seeing how Xbox Windows Phone is a joke, they can only win by putting it on there as well. However, they'd have to port everything to Windows Phone as well and that would fragment their own service, which is why I don't think it's happening.

Doffen

QuizClash, QuizDuell, QuizDuello, QuizDuel, QuizReto or QuizKampen will be released when the Swedish-only beta is completely tested.

ftDqaDb.jpg

hwalker84

I really want Sony to go WP because it will mean that we will get more Japanese support in terms of games, apps and especially maps.

Fuck HERE maps for still not supporting Japan.

Yep it sucked in Japan having to use Gmaps pro. It just doesn't work all the time.

QuizClash, QuizDuell, QuizDuello, QuizDuel, QuizReto or QuizKampen will be released when the Swedish-only beta is completely tested.

Can't wait for it to be released in March 2015. It will be like all the other social fad games, where it's going to be released, when the next big thing is already out (see Angry Birds, Draw Something or Candy Crush).

Doffen

Can't wait for it to be released in March 2015. It will be like all the other social fad games, where it's going to be released, when the next big thing is already out (see Angry Birds, Draw Something or Candy Crush).

Yeah, its popularity in Norway has been fading since summer 2013, but apparently it's growing in Germany, Switzerland and Austria.

maeh2k

Thurrott on the Moto G: http://winsupersite.com/mobile-devices/moto-g-close-not-quite
Interesting perspective.
And though I do feel that it's only a matter of time before Android sweeps away the low-end of the market with an avalanche of cheap devices, the Moto G—at least in its current form—doesn't make the grade.

With that start screen you might as well get an iPhone; I hear that's where all the apps are.

maeh2k

My money was on brot to be the condescending jerk in response to shift's post.

As was mine when I saw the screenshot at work today, but couldn't post :)
I actually like the WP8 start screen a lot. The lack of the gutter and the small tiles never bothered me. But making every tile small and use folders? That's iPhone-level bad.

Edit: Actually I'm even totally fine with the three-column layout on the 1520. You just have to set the tiles up right.

Mario007

Hey guys a new WP user here. Anyone have a recommendation for a good facebook messenger app? I see Facebook hasn't really bothered to up the official one up at the store.

f0lken

Hey guys a new WP user here. Anyone have a recommendation for a good facebook messenger app? I see Facebook hasn't really bothered to up the official one up at the store.

why not the one from the message hub?
Add your account in the settings and the option will pop up

PG2G

The Facebook/Facebook Beta app serves decently as a Messenger app. It even lets you pin the Messenger portion directly to home screen and launch directly into it.

Mario007

The Facebook/Facebook Beta app serves decently as a Messenger app. It even lets you pin the Messenger portion directly to home screen and launch directly into it.
Yeah that's what I'm doing at the moment, was just wondering if there was a proper third party messenger.
Yeah, is qute convenient, but you can't send stickers or photos :( you need to send them from the app, which BTW I reccomend you should use this http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/store/app/facebook-beta/93da5d29-daf0-4783-9ed5-a87b33247ec6 instead of the other official one, it gets updated earlier and with more frequency
Brilliant. Thanks for that!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom