• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3 Update 3| Please be excited

Status
Not open for further replies.

hadareud

The Translator
Well you have to understand that the competition to be the most miserable bastard has been hotting up for weeks, can't blame the Brotmeister for taking it to the next level.

That was rude. lol

Well you have to understand that the competition to be the most miserable bastard has been hotting up for weeks, can't blame the Brotmeister for taking it to the next level.

Hey, I was just being honest. The 52x phones are good for the price, but none ever praised them for their components, especially not the display or the camera.

Really wish there was Pebble watch support for WP8.....

I thought you were getting an Android phone?

PG2G

Also how does the Facebook messenger in the messages up work? Does it ask me if the message should be sent over phone or fb?

There is visual indication at the top next to the contact name what service you are using and there is a button at the bottom labeled switch which allows you to change the active service

maeh2k

Looks like my father will get the 1020 when he upgrades from the original HTC Desire some time in March. Too bad the new Nokias won't be out by then.

Technically he doesn't need a camera that good and he might even be better off with the smaller 925, but the camera is such a stand-out feature of the 1020 that I couldn't help but recommend it. Looking forward to playing around with it.

MCD

Update:

Microsoft just confirmed us that the above news is not true and Greg Sullivan never made such a statement regarding Sony Windows Phone device. The CNET news we reported as a source was a translation error.

EDITED.

maeh2k

I nominate Paul Thurrott for 'most miserable bastard'. Even I'm not that gloomy: "Windows 8 has set back Microsoft, and Windows, by years, and possibly for good." (source)

maeh2k

Those numbers make no sense.

8.1 has got to be on significantly more than 25 million machines.

Figured. Maybe the 25 million is just upgrades from Windows 8 (which most people wouldn't know how to do or wouldn't dare to try; e.g. my uncle isn't going to upgrade his Windows 8 machine, because it's his work PC -- never change a running system). Or maybe the number refers only to the most recent quarter, where most OEM machines have still been running Windows 8?

maeh2k

'after the buzz' is a concept that every tech website should highlight nearly as much as reviews.

More important than just looking back at an older device, what tech journalism is really lacking are long-term reviews. If a reviewer privately uses an Android device and then reviews a new Android device, that works well, but if someone never uses Windows Phone and then judges a new device just based on a few days of using it, that's a problem.

Steven Sinofsky nailed it in a recent blog post: Thoughts on reviewing tech products

More important than just looking back at an older device, what tech journalism is really lacking are long-term reviews. If a reviewer privately uses an Android device and then reviews a new Android device, that works well, but if someone never uses Windows Phone and then judges a new device just based on a few days of using it, that's a problem.

Steven Sinofsky nailed it in a recent blog post: Thoughts on reviewing tech products

I was hoping more tech journalists would comment on that article, but alas I saw nearly none.

hadareud

The Translator
Figured. Maybe the 25 million is just upgrades from Windows 8 (which most people wouldn't know how to do or wouldn't dare to try; e.g. my uncle isn't going to upgrade his Windows 8 machine, because it's his work PC -- never change a running system). Or maybe the number refers only to the most recent quarter, where most OEM machines have still been running Windows 8?

Nah, doesn't look like it on the latest figures posted in the other thread.

It's simply a load of old bollocks pulled out of his arse, most likely.

edit: as for new machines, over 80 million PC's were shipped in Q4, I would think the majority running 8.1.

Doffen

I like that GTA is delayed. It gives me something concrete to wait for.
8.1 is just a smokescreen. GTA is the real treasure for WP this year.

JaggedSac

I nominate Paul Thurrott for 'most miserable bastard'. Even I'm not that gloomy: "Windows 8 has set back Microsoft, and Windows, by years, and possibly for good." (source)

Glad WP and Xbox will be heavily featured at BUILD. I need that 3rd party app marketplace on the Bone. Plex needs to be on there.

I installed Whatsapp for the first time last night
(against my better judgement)
and awoke to 30+ images autodownloaded, which seemed to choke and close Whatsapp when scrolling up through the chat history. Is it a low memory issue (using a 520), a shit devs issue, or a bit of both?

hadareud

The Translator
I suspect that there is simply a bigger need to promote in the US than in Europe, so they are probably even willing to sell at cost to get some traction, like you said.

Someone has to pay the bill, and I agree with their choice of Germany.

Been awhile since I posted in a WP8 thread.

So I'm planning to switch to TMobile after their ETF plans were revealed. The problem is, as much as I love WP8 and my Lumia 920, there are no WPs on TMobile except the 925. I really don't want to be paying a relatively old phone for 2 years when I expect a 929 TMobile variant coming sometime soon (hopefully).

What should I do? Stick with a 521 so I can pay it off quickly and upgrade when a new WP comes out, or just move on to Android by getting a Nexus 5 or Xperia Z1S?

Also, as a Google Voice user, what are my options for texts/calls after Google kills 3rd party GV apps like MetroTalk?

Look in Tmo's website for 925 promos, join and enroll in JUMP!, upgrade when the new phone comes out.

I got my 925 back in Sept. for $49 usd.

Can't comment on GV alternatives.

Doffen

At the moment, the cheapest offer in Germany (and possibly Europe) is 105 Euros. And that's not for all colors. E.g. yellow and cyan are a bit more expensive.

Nokia really wants to have presence in the US.

I'm able to get the black version for 90€ here in Norway, and white for 95€
The yellow and Cyan is not in stock.

Flai

I like it! It's pretty neat how the weapon locations are marked on the screen borders.
I'm assuming that you'll give it different graphics and such, so I won't judge there.

Thanks!

Yeah, I'm working on new patches right now which definitely improve the graphics (and some pretty cool other stuff as well :))!

hadareud

The Translator
I just had a BSOD on my Windows 7 laptop.

I don't think I've had one of those since Windows XP apart from when my video card died around 5 years ago. Maybe once when my motherboard died I had one too (soon after the video card), but I can't remember for sure.

I'm feeling all sentimental and nostalgic.

So, after a few months waiting for the yellow 1020 to arrive in my country I decided to no longer wait and ended up getting a white one!

I'm loving it (though Nokia's decisions regarding accessories colors are making me regret slightly not getting a black one), but I'm still kinda noob on WP... If anyone can answer a few questions it would be much appreciated!

- I logged in with my Ms account, and it instantly added twitter, linked in but not my facebook, which is also linked... I managed to add my facebook account later, but is that normal, or there is something wrong with my account?

- Regarding my Ms account, is it normal for it to be pretty much apart from your W8 account? For instance, the bing news app isn't synced with my W8 app. My outlook.com account has different aliases that allows me to send email from other accounts from a single place. The W8 mail app mimics this because it's a single app where all my other accounts are added, and I can use any I want to send stuff, but in wp, since it appears to be a different app for each added account I can't send email from one app using another account. It didn't synced my email accounts with W8 too… Other than my contacts, calendar, payment info and the outlook.com account it seems nothing actually synced between then :(

- How does tile auto arrangement works? Sometimes I remove a tile, and all the tiles beneath it are elevated, but sometimes there's a hole… Is there any trick to activate one of the two methods of removing, rearranging tiles?

- And what about multi touch usage when moving tiles around? (Like in W8). It seems it's a no go, right?

- And for last: Since there are no action center or anything like where you can easily toggle some settings, I assume there are some apps that can create a live tile like that, can you guys recommend me any?

Thanks!

kharma45

6tindr ready to be published

Bd0ssRxCMAAD91g.jpg:large

Mario007

Guys I'm having a problem trying to set up my keyboards on my lumia. I cliked to add new keyboard (Slovakian) and then it says it is downloading the word suggestions. But the problem is it is stuck at the 'preparing to download' phase forever. Anyone have any suggestions?

Guys I'm having a problem trying to set up my keyboards on my lumia. I cliked to add new keyboard (Slovakian) and then it says it is downloading the word suggestions. But the problem is it is stuck at the 'preparing to download' phase forever. Anyone have any suggestions?

Have you tried restarting your phone and doing it again?

If it still fails, try to use a different data connection.

Responses in bold.

So, after a few months waiting for the yellow 1020 to arrive in my country I decided to no longer wait and ended up getting a white one!

I'm loving it (though Nokia's decisions regarding accessories colors are making me regret slightly not getting a black one), but I'm still kinda noob on WP... If anyone can answer a few questions it would be much appreciated!

- I logged in with my Ms account, and it instantly added twitter, linked in but not my facebook, which is also linked... I managed to add my facebook account later, but is that normal, or there is something wrong with my account? - I think it SHOULD automatically add the Facebook account if it is actually linked to your Live ID. Not sure though, I no longer use Facebook, sorry.

- Regarding my Ms account, is it normal for it to be pretty much apart from your W8 account? For instance, the bing news app isn't synced with my W8 app. My outlook.com account has different aliases that allows me to send email from other accounts from a single place. The W8 mail app mimics this because it's a single app where all my other accounts are added, and I can use any I want to send stuff, but in wp, since it appears to be a different app for each added account I can't send email from one app using another account. It didn't synced my email accounts with W8 too… Other than my contacts, calendar, payment info and the outlook.com account it seems nothing actually synced between then :( - Unfortunately, W8 and WP8 are not completely in alignment/sync yet. The Bing News app (and the other W8-style apps) were only just released a few months ago for WP. I'm not sure if I'm understanding your Mail issue, but in WP8, if you go into an Inbox and tap the ellipsis ... icon, you have the option to link your inboxes.

- How does tile auto arrangement works? Sometimes I remove a tile, and all the tiles beneath it are elevated, but sometimes there's a hole… Is there any trick to activate one of the two methods of removing, rearranging tiles? - It only autoarranges if you have an entire row that is empty/black.

- And what about multi touch usage when moving tiles around? (Like in W8). It seems it's a no go, right? - Don't believe so.

- And for last: Since there are no action center or anything like where you can easily toggle some settings, I assume there are some apps that can create a live tile like that, can you guys recommend me any? - Look up "Connectivity Tiles" in the Store.

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom