• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3 Update 3| Please be excited

Status
Not open for further replies.
Where is Brot?

I guess I'll have to do his job then:

*clears throat*

Guys! Bing rewards is out! For Android and iOS.

Coming soon to Windows Phone.

Amazing

Obviously MS wants devs to bring their software to WP at the same time as iOS and Android instead of the all too common "coming soon" to windows phone. Then, they do the same thing with their own products/services.

dLMN8R

So can we say that Motorola was a 10x bigger write-off for Google than Surface was for Microsoft? And that it's a 50% bigger write-off than aQuantive?

So can we say that Motorola was a 10x bigger write-off for Google than Surface was for Microsoft? And that it's a 50% bigger write-off than aQuantive?

Especially since it seems that none of the patents they acquired got them any wins. At least that was the general feeling I've gotten from reading Florian Mueller's blog over the past year or so

Fjolle

Especially since it seems that none of the patents they acquired got them any wins. At least that was the general feeling I've gotten from reading Florian Mueller's blog over the past year or so

Florian is like a bigger MS fanboy than you..

But I haven't seen any evidence that he's wrong on that.

hwalker84

Second class citizens

http://wmpoweruser.com/microsoft-an...nd-android-windows-phone-support-coming-soon/

Microsoft today announced that they are expanding their Bing Rewards program to mobile in the US. Users can now start using Bing apps to earn rewards points. You can earn credits by searching every day and then redeem them for great rewards including gift cards from top brands such as Amazon.com, Xbox, Skype, Fandango, and Dominos or donate your credits to a local school or charity of your choice. It is a great way to earn some perks for searching the web which you will do anyway everyday.
Awesome sounds great!!!

This will available on iOS and Android devices starting today and coming soon to Windows Phone devices.

WTF???

Where is Brot?

I guess I'll have to do his job then:

*clears throat*

Guys! Bing rewards is out! For Android and iOS.

Coming soon to Windows Phone.

I've been so busy that I found out in about Motorola in the Windows Phone thread out of all places.
According to feedly, I'm 8 days behind the news anyway.

And yeah, that app thing, whatever. Wait for Rambo, etc.

Just because they paid that much for the patents, it doesn't mean they're worth that much. Now I gotta read the Android thread for a good laugh or two.

Thankfully I have a Nexus 7 and iPod Touch 4G. I'll finally get $5 faster than a whole month, I hope.
Whatever, I use Bing reward on my Windows 8 tablet, with full support for the past few months. Windows 8 is the real first class, Windows Phone is like 3rd class or lower than plebeians.

Razdek

Banned
This talk about WP 8.1 coming in hot and the team scrambling to get it ready for release from Paul Thurrot really has me worried on how buggy it's going to be. How the hell are they having troubles finishing it when there were only small updates last year and they've been working on it for more than a year?

f0lken

Why can't we have an insider for Windows Phone like the one for Xbox in the gaming thread :(

EDIT: I mean for leaking stuff, I love you lastflowers

Just because they paid that much for the patents, it doesn't mean they're worth that much. Now I gotta read the Android thread for a good laugh or two.
hahahahaha, don't confuse me correcting the numbers by pointing out they sold another piece of Moto already with me saying they're worth the price difference between buying Moto and selling Moto in chunks!

hwalker84

This talk about WP 8.1 coming in hot and the team scrambling to get it ready for release from Paul Thurrot really has me worried on how buggy it's going to be. How the hell are they having troubles finishing it when there were only small updates last year and they've been working on it for more than a year?

Because lastflowers is the only software engineer Microsoft can spare to work on the OS. Hard when it's only one person.

it's a rough going coding up an entire OS, SDK, drivers, etc etc. I do get some help from interns on some of the design animations though. only had 3 hours of sleep a night on average in 2013! Just imagine having meetings with NOK employees having not slept for 48 hours just so the 1520 could be released. *phew

And wow @ that maybe insider nrkrnl. It's Dave Cutler just laying it all out. Most of it seems like it could be guesswork, so I'm going to laugh very heartily if it's just a prankster having a good one on GAF.

Why can't we have an insider for Windows Phone like the one for Xbox in the gaming thread :(

EDIT: I mean for leaking stuff, I love you lastflowers

Because gaming leaks drive controversy and are talked about for months on end while Windows Phone leaks last 5 minutes?

it's a rough going coding up an entire OS, SDK, drivers, etc etc. I do get some help from interns on some of the design animations though. only had 3 hours of sleep a night on average in 2013! Just imagine having meetings with NOK employees having not slept for 48 hours just so the 1520 could be released. *phew

Could be spending those 3 hours leaking the goods to us instead. :p

Nah, in all seriousness if that stuff it true that's gotta suck to get all your work leaked.

So the difference between Google and Microsoft is Google knows when to cut their lost and move on. In a few years, Microsoft will write off Nokia division when it worth nothing. I still think it's the worst move for them to acquire Nokia but then again what choice do they have if Nokia already planning Android phone.

MCD

lastflowers

can you please tell the team to have some sort of cloud saving for games? Just tip them or something.

Bullza2o

Is it just me, or is the new FB beta update really buggy? I keep getting "we're having trouble getting data" more often --on WiFi.

lastflowers

can you please tell the team to have some sort of cloud saving for games? Just tip them or something.

I always pass along well-formed requests and thoughts, both on internal mail and to my boss or skip....usually in the guise of 'I've heard chatter about...'--no need to address it to me!

@ that leaker thread. The conspiracy theories are big enough to fit a whole Pynchon novel.

hankster

Got a new back shell for my 920 and turned my old white into a new pikachu. Now just need some cool new os updates to really make it shine.

MCD

I always pass along well-formed requests and thoughts, both on internal mail and to my boss or skip....usually in the guise of 'I've heard chatter about...'--no need to address it to me!

@ that leaker thread. The conspiracy theories are big enough to fit a whole Pynchon novel.

Yeah, but I really wanted this one request to get through. Sorry if I sounded rude or something!

MCD

BTW whole Google Samsung thing is getting intense.

Sammy dropping conventional Windows laptops, signing patent agreement with Google and now Google selling Motorola.

Exciting and harsh times ahead.

hadareud

The Translator
It is, very interesting times ahead for sure.

Allegedly, the agreement between Google and Samsung and subsequent sale of Motorola also means the end to the Nexus line. I'm very curious how that would work out for Google if true. Would it mean that we see more "pure" Android devices like the HTC One and Galaxy S4 last year? Would anyone really care if it's just released at full price in limited numbers like last year? Enthusiasts wouldn't be happy which could be bad news for Google in the long term. Also, how will the other manufacturers react to Samsung and Google working closer together? Might they be tempted to diversify their offerings and look at other OS's, with Samsung already having the Android market in a tight grip that may well become a stranglehold going forward?

On the face of it Google and Samsung working closer together is the logical move, but on the other hand it's a strategy that is not without its risks and downsides.

Nero3000

This just segments the market into 3 tiers:

Tier 1: Galaxy & iPhone

Tier 2: Lumia & Incumbent Android OEM's

Tier 3: New Android OEM's (ASUS etc.) & Other Windows Phone OEM's

Tier 4: BlackBerry lol

The aim for Microsoft has to be "become a clear leader in Tier 2", before attempting to tackle tier 1 (although the dropping of marketshare for the iPhone could help).

hadareud

The Translator
This just segments the market into 3 tiers:

Tier 1: Galaxy & iPhone

Tier 2: Lumia & Incumbent Android OEM's

Tier 3: New Android OEM's (ASUS etc.) & Other Windows Phone OEM's

Tier 4: BlackBerry lol

The aim for Microsoft has to be "become a clear leader in Tier 2", before attempting to tackle tier 1 (although the dropping of marketshare for the iPhone could help).

That's a fair assessment of the situation.

They were closing the gap to the top in tier 2 until Q3, but haven fallen back again in Q4. In 2014 the goal has to be to become the 3rd largest smartphone manufacturer.

NeOak

S-Pen support and a OneNote update to support it too so we can have an Ativ Note :D

;-;

What happened with Samsung? I'm still not up to date. 2100 articles left!

S-Pen support and a OneNote update to support it too so we can have an Ativ Note :D

;-;

That's why I'm planing to get a Asus Vivo Tab Note 8 or whatever it's called.
8" tablet, full Windows 8.1 and a Wacom digitizer.

hadareud

The Translator
What happened with Samsung? I'm still not up to date. 2100 articles left!

The rumour is that Google agreed to sell Motorola and stop manufacturing their own hardware (possibly including the Nexus line) as part of an agreement with Samsung that has Samsung stop competing with Google's core services and from diversifying their Android distributions any further.

edit: here's a decent summary with added speculation of the whole thing: http://derstandard.at/1389858701795/Warum-es-bei-Googles-Motorola-Verkauf-eigentlich-um-Samsung-geht (in German).

edit: missed that Eldar is being cited in that article. Please ignore and carry on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom