• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3 Update 3| Please be excited

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wife loves the 1020 and willing to forego ugly gel case (not sure why so many women like those gel cases) for wireless charging. I also convinced my coworker at work to switch her family to Windows Phone. They all got 521 and love the phone, though she did ask me about notification center or lack there of ... I was like well hey let me show you live tiles and people hub. Microsoft I hope the notification center and streamline setting hub are in 8.1.

dLMN8R

How many people are on the Windows Phone team?

Sorry, we were too busy doing this today:

oe8jbpF.jpg

(http://www.geekwire.com/2014/supporting-seahawks-microsoft-gathers-7000-employees-form-human-12/)

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
So, is windows phone and/or Nokia going to be pushing big on wearables and fitness this year or are they going to let apple lead the way and jump in a whole year later again? I think a big screen iPhone, an iwatch, and a heavy OS focus on fitness is going to be very tough for me to pass up. I'd rather get a Nokia and a pebble if that were possible, but it doesn't look like MS is moving in that direction this year. Apple is, and then we will get a late reaction again next year, but I hope I'm wrong. If apple moves in to cut off nike and pebble, I hope those companies move not just towards android, but windows phone too. It makes business sense.

hadareud

The Translator
I wouldn't be surprised if we saw a watch towards the end of the year, both MS and Nokia have been working on stuff and iirc we even saw some art of it last year.

I can see the appeal of wearables, I'm definitely tempted.

The problem I have is that I never liked wearing watches and I've not worn one in nearly 20 years. I can also see the appeal of something like Google Glass, but the problem I have there is that I really don't want to wear glasses. I'm the only person in my entire family that has decent eyesight and is not wearing glasses, so I absolutely do not want to start wearing any now.

I think I'll skip wearables and wait until they can implant a chip directly in our brains.

Finally having access to the internet and wikipedia at all times would be amazing. I wouldn't have to think for myself at all anymore. Can't wait.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Google glass is stupid, but a smart watch done right is better than a pedometer or one of those fitness bracelets. I got 20 pounds to lose!!

JaggedSac

I'm very surprised this wearables thing is sticking. I have absolutely 0 interest in a watch, necklace, sock, shoe, glasses, anything that collects fitness data or connects with my phone. Perhaps I am just getting old.

So, is windows phone and/or Nokia going to be pushing big on wearables and fitness this year or are they going to let apple lead the way and jump in a whole year later again? I think a big screen iPhone, an iwatch, and a heavy OS focus on fitness is going to be very tough for me to pass up. I'd rather get a Nokia and a pebble if that were possible, but it doesn't look like MS is moving in that direction this year. Apple is, and then we will get a late reaction again next year, but I hope I'm wrong. If apple moves in to cut off nike and pebble, I hope those companies move not just towards android, but windows phone too. It makes business sense.
The main reason for Pebble not being on Windows Phone is that we (as in developers) are still relatively locked down with what we can do with the APIs. For example, We cant have an app run in the background unless it utilizes either the Audio API, the GeoLocation APIs or the Background Task APIs (which run once every 30ish minutes for 30 seconds maximum). One is extremely annoying to users, the other drains battery like no tomorrow the last one would work, but what would be the point. So to solve this, you would need to have the app opened all the time and enable the ability to run behind the lock screen.

Next, you can't get access to the Messaging Hub, so a big benefit of something like the Pebble is immediately cut out. With the Peoples hub, you can get contacts, but you cant get social stuff out of them. Also I don't believe you can even touch the Me hub.

So pretty much, it can happen, but developers would need more API access, and with that more OS development to make sure that its not just tacked on.

joshschw

Best color. Right after grey. And cyan, maybe.

I'll try to get a second original back cover and sandpaper it to matte. It would look really, really good, if I don't fuck it up.

I recently had to swap my cyan case because I dropped it down a flight of stairs and it got a crack in the corner. I chose a yellow replacement instead. I actually like the gloss except it scratches SO EASILY. The thing is more scratched in just a couple weeks than my over year old cyan casing was! Otherwise I think it looks very sleek in gloss, it may not in two more months though, haha.

hankster

Best color. Right after grey. And cyan, maybe.

I'll try to get a second original back cover and sandpaper it to matte. It would look really, really good, if I don't fuck it up.
Would LOVE matte yella like the 1020. Or the grey, but for some reason that is the unicorn of the Lumia world.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I dropped my phone on our tile floor in the entrance way and it slid a couple feet on the screen. The floor had a bit of grit on it since it is winter I scratched the screen up good :(

My red gloss has held up really well though.

My next phone will be a Samsung Galaxy!!!

I hate the fact that I have to root for you guys to prevent a Peyton ring :'(

I'm a Seahawks fan only by proxy. Marshawn Lynch is the main reason why I like them (other than living in Seattle), as he's a beast to watch.

The Texans will remain my true love. Watching them play this year nearly killed me. So much promise...so much wasted.

My wife yellow 1020. The matt yellow is nice and not scratch prone like the gloss Red 920 I had.

Lumia 1020 Yellow with white charging plate by antiquegamer, on Flickr

I am not sure I like the yellow charging case on it, but the only other color choice is black which make the phone look like bumblebee. Which one are you using Van?

@MCD Don't feel like you settle for black, I think black 1020 is really nice. I only pick white because it's a bit difference. And I never seen white at At&t store I think it's on-line only color so when I was at Microsoft store, I ended up choosing the white. I was really tempted with black.

Oh if 1020 people in the US looking for camera grip, At&t have them for $56.00.

hadareud

The Translator
Yeah, white is really nice actually.

I never liked white phones before the 920 because they looked, well, bloody chav to me, but the 920 changed my mind. If they'd have done the 1020 in white at EE I'd have gone for it, but the yellow just looks brilliant.

I was a bit worried that I would go off it after a while, but after 4 months it looks as nice as ever to me.

Milchjon

I recently had a shocking moment when I realized there was a guy in my dorm that has both a 1020 and a Surface 2 yet he was not cool at all.

Currently I'm researching a monastery I could join now that life doesn't make sense anymore.

I recently had a shocking moment when I realized there was a guy in my dorm that has both a 1020 and a Surface 2 yet he was not cool at all.

Currently I'm researching a monastery I could join now that life doesn't make sense anymore.

Sounds like your typical Microsoft customer.

Razdek

Banned
What's Microsoft's reasoning on why the same games and apps cost more in their store as opposed to iTunes and Google Play store again?

so has anyone else seen the supposedly fake 8.1 screenshot? tom warren says it might be a mock up of actual features coming to 8.1
of particular interest is the coloured background, pink instead of the usual black or white behind the tiles. any word on this?
BfeLZ2CCIAEmYH7.png

PG2G

Probably not an option is use, but if they aren't going to allow people to out background images it'd be nice if they went ahead and let them choose the colors of their choice.

joshschw

so has anyone else seen the supposedly fake 8.1 screenshot? tom warren says it might be a mock up of actual features coming to 8.1
of particular interest is the coloured background, pink instead of the usual black or white behind the tiles. any word on this?
BfeLZ2CCIAEmYH7.png

oh my..... that is so ugly...

I love the size six font Settings button.

No I really don't.

edit: Looked at on my phone itself, I always thought Nokia saying you could use a key for the touchscreen was just some marketing gimmick, but apparently they were planning ahead so you could actually tap the WP8.1 buttons.

That screenshot is sooooo fake. I want those features, though.

Now, what I was coming here for was to bitch about Nokia being so cheap and not putting Gorilla Glass on the Lumia 820. I fell asleep midday and napped with my phone beside me on my bed. My husky puppy jumped up onto the bed at some point in a fit of "HEY YOU! DON'T SLEEP! PLAY!" and must have put her paws on the screen. Now it has this very light scratch right in the middle. You really don't notice it if the screen is clean, but finger grease goes into it and then you can definitely notice it in the light.

I know I should get over it, but I'm really OCD about this sort of thing. And yes, I tried putting on a screen protector but every attempt I'd keep having bubbles. At like $5 for two, after ten attempts I just decided to stop wasting money.

EDIT: This is why I don't buy expensive phones any more, though. I dropped my Nexus 4 and smashed it, and my Xperia S had a massive slash down the screen. Even my first iPhone got a massive scratch down the screen from having my sunglasses rub against the screen.

zedge

I don't know what kind of gorilla glass Nokia uses but it sure seems inferior to what Samsung or LG uses. Never had a scratch on my Galaxy phones or Nexus phones. No screen protector. My 920 has a few scratches and I use it the same as the others. :shrug

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom