• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3 Update 3| Please be excited

Status
Not open for further replies.

Talon

Yeah, I can't see how this could be a good movie. You're literally disincentivizing developers from developing for your platform at all.

maeh2k

It could still be for their platform -- their forked Android. They wouldn't have to just directly accept all Android apps. They could have their own store, with their own guidelines and APIs (i.e. alternatives to Google-specific APIs). Porting from Google-Android to Microsoft-Android could be easy and straight-forward.

They could also offer their Microsoft-Android-Store on Google-Android, much like Amazon's store, and then make Office Microsoft-Android-Store-exclusive to get some broader adoption.

Talon

It could still be for their platform -- their forked Android. They wouldn't have to just directly accept all Android apps. They could have their own store, with their own guidelines and APIs (i.e. alternatives to Google-specific APIs). Porting from Google-Android to Blackberry-Android could be easy and straight-forward.

They could also offer their Blackberry-Android-Store on Google-Android, much like Amazon's store, and then make Blackberry Enterprise-Android-Store-exclusive to get some broader adoption.
This reads like a Crackberry post, brosef.

Nander

WLT9dnA.png

930! ZOMG!

I like those four X's: 1030 or 1530? Or something in between?

Talon

Really hope Microsoft changes the naming convention going forward. Hate how Nokia put themselves in a hole starting from 700 - these numbers are all meaningless to consumers.

MS should reset and do what Apple, Samsung, and Sony are doing with their flagships.

Flagship: Lumia 1, 2, 3, etc.
And build around that - step up like the 1020 line and the stepdown like the 620/720 lines.

dLMN8R

lol it's really funny seeing Tom Warren and Paul Thurrott get so snippy with each other on Twitter all the time. They really don't like each other much, do they?

lol it's really funny seeing Tom Warren and Paul Thurrott get so snippy with each other on Twitter all the time. They really don't like each other much, do they?

Old guard vs new blood, stealing scoops and all that. I think Paul and Tom were okay with each other, before Tom went to the Verge. I always love how Paul gets all butthurt about "those bloggers that basically steal the news without giving real journalists the credit" (or something along those lines), while he never seems to consider that Tom might have the same sources or information.

The Cowboy

Got myself a windows phone - a nice red 520 for £35 (new in box from a 2nd hand store).

I didn't realise how nice these phones are to use, the interface is just so good for a phone. So nice to have a mobile again after all these years (haven't had one since the end of 2010).

I recon I'm gonna get a red set of the colouds next week, as the bundled headphones are pretty crap.

I'm so hyped for WP8.1

I've got a job 90% sorted for my upcoming year out, looking forward to getting back to work. More importantly, fancy buying out my contract and upgrading to a new device so hopefully there's new phones on the horizon. Might grab a Surface Pro 2 and all.

maeh2k

Looks like I might actually get 8.1, which I didn't expect.

Despite the diagnosis that the 8X probably has an issue with his SIM card my sister's boyfriend is still going to keep the Xperia Z1 Compact he had already ordered believing the 8X broken.
So I'll test the 8X and make sure it works normally, and then buy it off him. I think it's still in great condition (he always used a flip case). I might offer him up to 100 Euros (if I wanted to buy a used 8X from a stranger I wouldn't go that high).

Alternatively I could make my sister an offer for her Galaxy Nexus that she'll replace soon (also for the Z1 Compact), or I could make my aunt an offer for he iPhone 4S that she'll soon replace for an HTC One....
People just don't use their expensive phones long enough. At this rate I might never have to buy a 'new' phone again...

That Lumia Icon has some nice press shots. Despite being a boxy black slab with none of the typical NOK flare, I like the metal band. I'd like to feel it in person, as the 928's plastic band and buttons feel really awkward.

http://qz.com/176643/its-official-apple-sells-more-computers-than-all-windows-pcs-combined/

This is really fucking dumb because it includes Apple phones but excludes WP devices, but it still puts things in perspective.

Why, exactly, are Apple mobile devices included by Windows mobile devices are not?

I get that WP BARELY raises the total, but iOS is like 90% of their devices in that chart.

The Icon doesn't have Glance.

wat.

How does that work? It just doesn't have the app/setting? I can't think of any technical reason why.

maeh2k

It does show PC + Windows Phone in the chart and it's about even with Mac + iOS. It's only the headline that's a bit sensational/wrong.

And now consider that Android is wiping the floor with iOS, Windows, Windows Phone...

Milchjon

Looks damn ugly. Actually, it seems like every app that replaces a previous hub looks worse than before.

Pictures/Xbox/Office/Music+Video all used to look kinda unique and nice when WP first appeared. The new looks like they fired all their designers.

Bring some colors in there. Some images don't kill metro either.

That file picker is the worst offender.

BgTIjxNCUAA-Dw_.png:large

Quite the change.

Not to try to polish a turd, but I think most people now own a lot more of these devices than some years ago. Less than 10 years ago, my family had like 1 PC. An equivalent family today probably has 4 computers/laptops, 4 smartphones and one or two tablets.

Wish they had added a total volume chart alongside it.

Looks fine. Bing better get there shit sorted out for countries other than the U.S. No excuses!
Pretty interesting that it appears to be powered by Bing instead of podcasts being submitted like they were to Zune or iTunes. Searching for podcasts directly to a URL or RSS feed should theoretically be better right? You wouldn't be limited by what's submitted to a store, just if it's on the internet you can get it.

Milch, yeah it looks like it's just the most basic pivot form control they offer on the dev tools. Any of us could drag and drop that design in 10 minutes in visual studio. Maybe just placeholder UI?

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Pretty interesting that it appears to be powered by Bing instead of podcasts being submitted like they were to Zune or iTunes. Searching for podcasts directly to a URL or RSS feed should theoretically be better right? You wouldn't be limited by what's submitted to a store, just if it's on the internet you can get it.

Good point.

Milchjon

The parallax effect in FlipMag is kinda fun.

BTW, is there a good RSS reader that can share to Pocket? I love Phonly, but that's missing.

dLMN8R

News of variable speed playback is the best thing ever. Hopefully it's enabled by the platform rather than a one-off for the podcasts app.

I listen to a ton of podcasts. Lack of variable speed playback on Windows Phone is literally the biggest reason why I still own an iPod Touch.

Cheebo

Banned
Looks damn ugly. Actually, it seems like every app that replaces a previous hub looks worse than before.

Pictures/Xbox/Office/Music+Video all used to look kinda unique and nice when WP first appeared. The new looks like they fired all their designers.

Bring some colors in there. Some images don't kill metro either.

That file picker is the worst offender.

Not to try to polish a turd, but I think most people now own a lot more of these devices than some years ago. Less than 10 years ago, my family had like 1 PC. An equivalent family today probably has 4 computers/laptops, 4 smartphones and one or two tablets.

Wish they had added a total volume chart alongside it.

the 1 computer thing to 4 computer isn't really accurate lately when PC sales have been falling the past few years. PC's sell less and less as more and more users move over to devices like tablets.

Razdek

Banned
Jesus, if they do allow Android apps to run on the WP them they just wasted their money and everyone's time. No one would buy a WP as it gives the impression they've given up.

MarkusRJR

I really don't like this Android rumor. I seriously hope its false and would rather them put more time courting developers and improving mind/marketshare. To give in and support Android apps would be basically throwing in the towel.

I hope this app isn't exclusive to the US. Its time to expand podcast support.
The android support in both Blackberry and Jolla (the phone made by the Nokia N9's software team) is really pisspoor, and it's not entirely their fault. Native apps are incredibly important. The android apps on both BB/Jolla have weird issues regarding battery drain, CPU overheating, crashes, glitches, and poor performance all around. To add android apps will merely make the store be flooded with shitty ports that don't work properly or have gingerbread level performance. They might as well make android phones with a WP8 skin at that point, since performance and flexibility will be increased immeasurably compared to a ton of android apps running on WP8..

And hell yes, there needs to be worldwide podcast support. It's depressing that in 2014 basic features like that are locked out beyond 1 country. I live in Canada and I can't even l have the integrated podcast player. We're basically neighbours ffs. ;P

930 has got to be att's icon equivalent with 20mp sensor.

1030 is the quad core 1080p 1020 follow up.

but what's the XXX in between the 930 and XXXX?

930 could also just have an 8-16mp sensor while the XXX is the true Icon equivalent. I doubt att would carry similar models. Perhaps international models.

I don't believe the android rumors either. The WP has the major apps now, giving up and allowing android apps on board would mean mot only the death of the platform but the death of mobility for MS all together. They'd be an enterprise only company in the not so distant future if that happened. No way MS allows that.

They just need to dig deeper into their war chest and buy developers and make many WP apps as lead platform. Don't make them exclusive to WP but timed exclusive features on WP maybe.

Razdek

Banned
I don't believe the android rumors either. The WP has the major apps now, giving up and allowing android apps on board would mean mot only the death of the platform but the death of mobility for MS all together. They'd be an enterprise only company in the not so distant future if that happened. No way MS allows that.

They just need to dig deeper into their war chest and buy developers and make many WP apps as lead platform. Don't make them exclusive to WP but timed exclusive features on WP maybe.

Yea they need to give developers more incentives like more money or taking less cut for app sales. Money talks and they should show developers the money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom