• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3 Update 3| Please be excited

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ape

Banned
KH7sfKa.png

RIP, Windows Phone.

Elop said that this will help Windows Phone sales. This is a big plus!

Also, don't you have to be alive to die?

ElNino

How's the idle battery drainage on the higher end Lumias? On my HTC 8X it says it's draining at a rate of 6.7%/hour just idle and I've limited the background tasks to only a few apps. Getting pretty bad battery life on this thing but then again it is an HTC device.
There are several factors involved with battery usage, but idle usage on my 1020 is about 3%. This includes 6-8 background tasks, 3 email accounts (2 with push) and location turned on.

PG2G

How's the idle battery drainage on the higher end Lumias? On my HTC 8X it says it's draining at a rate of 6.7%/hour just idle and I've limited the background tasks to only a few apps. Getting pretty bad battery life on this thing but then again it is an HTC device.

Don't know if you're a gmail user or not, but I hear that can eat battery. I switched mine over to check email periodically instead.

Razdek

Banned
There are several factors involved with battery usage, but idle usage on my 1020 is about 3%. This includes 6-8 background tasks, 3 email accounts (2 with push) and location turned on.

3 email accounts with 2 on 15 minute checks and one at 30, location turned on, NFC off, bt off, 8 background apps.

Razdek

Banned
Don't know if you're a gmail user or not, but I hear that can eat battery. I switched mine over to check email periodically instead.

I am a Gmail user but it's set to check mail every 15 minutes since they removed active sync as an option. Is there an app that can show you which apps are using the most battery life or is that only in the new battery sense?

ElNino

3 email accounts with 2 on 15 minute checks and one at 30, location turned on, NFC off, bt off, 8 background apps.
You have very similar usage to me then, but I've found network signal (or lack there of) can play a huge part in battery life.

While sitting at work (with a strong LTE signal and no WiFi), I can get very good battery life. When I'm at home (with WiFi and a poor cell signal) I generally get worse battery life.
I am a Gmail user but it's set to check mail every 15 minutes since they removed active sync as an option. Is there an app that can show you which apps are using the most battery life or is that only in the new battery sense?
Only in the new Battery Sense on WP8.1 I believe.

Razdek

Banned
You have very similar usage to me then, but I've found network signal (or lack there of) can play a huge part in battery life.

While sitting at work (with a strong LTE signal and no WiFi), I can get very good battery life. When I'm at home (with WiFi and a poor cell signal) I generally get worse battery life.

Only in the new Battery Sense on WP8.1 I believe.

I get 4 bars at work and 3 at home so it should be fine. It used to be ok but since I've added apps it's been going fast. Not sure which app(s) may be causing it as I don't really want to uninstall apps and test but maybe I'll need to.
I don't even have Whatsapp or 6snap installed as I hear those use a lot of battery as well.

Razdek

Banned
Holy mackerel. Why do so many people want this phone? Nokia brand? Cost? Looks? It can't access Google Play right? And it only has MS and Nokia services plugged in right? Is everyone just going to put stock Android on it?

I think the answer is people just don't want Windows Phone.

hwalker84

Gmail ravaged my battery. I switched to outlook

ElNino

I get 4 bars at work and 3 at home so it should be fine. It used to be ok but since I've added apps it's been going fast. Not sure which app(s) may be causing it as I don't really want to uninstall apps and test but maybe I'll need to.
I don't even have Whatsapp or 6snap installed as I hear those use a lot of battery as well.
Could definitely be certain app(s)... or your HTC could just be garbage. ;-)

My apps with active background tasks are: Amazing Weather, Battery, Cal, My Stocks Portfolio, myTube, TVShow & Weave. My email accounts are Outlook (push), Gmail (30 minutes) and Rogers/Yahoo (hourly).

Vast

Banned
The people in China (and other developing countries buying this phone) don't give a shit about Google or google services (also dont care for Microsoft or microsoft services). What they do care about is brand and price. Both of which the Nokia X has.

But frankly, this phone has been talked about to death for no real reason at all. Does anyone talk about the Asha series?

The people in China (and other developing countries buying this phone) don't give a shit about Google or google services (also dont care for Microsoft or microsoft services). What they do care about is brand and price. Both of which the Nokia X has.

But frankly, this phone has been talked about to death for no real reason at all. Does anyone talk about the Asha series?

Why would most people on Neogaf bother? Asha is a line for developing countries. For everyone else the conversation is around Android vs iOS...and every once in a blue moon vs Windows Phone

Vast

Banned
Why would most people on Neogaf bother? Asha is a line for developing countries. For everyone else the conversation is around Android vs iOS...and every once in a blue moon vs Windows Phone
Exactly my point. Nokia X is no different than the Asha series and yet people on Neogaf (and every other major tech website) ARE talking about it.

It's a sad and pathetic way to get some hits and start some google/microsoft drama without any real context.

maeh2k

Anyone go from a 920 to a 1020 and think the OIS is better on the 920?

How do you compare the two? Keep in mind that the 920 lets a bit more light in due to its f2.0 lens compared to the 1020's f2.2 one. So you'd expect the 920 to have a slightly better low-light performance.
Not sure how to compare the OIS and if the 1020's is even supposed to work better in terms of performance. The revised OIS may have other benefits like size or robustness.

How do you compare the two? Keep in mind that the 920 lets a bit more light in due to its f2.0 lens compared to the 1020's f2.2 one. So you'd expect the 920 to have a slightly better low-light performance.
Not sure how to compare the OIS and if the 1020's is even supposed to work better in terms of performance. The revised OIS may have other benefits like size or robustness.
not low light but actual stabilization during video recording.

It looks like I don't have to code my own podcast app anymore.

http://www.windowsphone.com/s?appid=2a27582c-a483-45ac-b4b4-8e868aa7d182

Aside from the name, Podcast2Go seems like a really good apps.

Now I'd like some more recommendations. I listen to The Vergecast (more like the Drunkcast lately), Verge Mobile Show, Windows Weekly and What The Tech (even though I'm thinking about unsubscribing the last one, it's awful). I'll probably add GT Time, but I do,t know what else I could probably listen to

Are there any good music apps or podcast apps on wp8? I want something where i can drag my finger along the timeline to skip around the track also being able to pick up from where i left off. I keep losing my place when listening to podcasts then having to fast forward through stuff like a tape or something.

I'm more in need of a music player app than a podcast app.

kharma45

Are there any good music apps or podcast apps on wp8? I want something where i can drag my finger along the timeline to skip around the track also being able to pick up from where i left off. I keep losing my place when listening to podcasts then having to fast forward through stuff like a tape or something.

I'm more in need of a music player app than a podcast app.

Podcast Lounge can do that now. Looks like the app Brot mentioned too can.

Now I'd like some more recommendations. I listen to The Vergecast (more like the Drunkcast lately), Verge Mobile Show, Windows Weekly and What The Tech (even though I'm thinking about unsubscribing the last one, it's awful). I'll probably add GT Time, but I do,t know what else I could probably listen to

But it's ugly.

Podcast lounge is hideous. That shitty background is so awful and tacky, it ruins the whole app. It looks like it was designed by a 16 year old.

Feeling betray, my daughter sheepishly told me today she would rather keep on using the One X because there are more apps. She does complain that it stutter sometimes and battery life is crap. I was about to order the Nexus 5 for her but then reading about camera battery draining bug give me a pause.

I like how they claim this is cause by Skype and here we are blaming Google mail for Lumia battery woe.

hadareud

The Translator

Just installed it.

Already prefer it to PCL.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Feeling betray, my daughter sheepishly told me today she would rather keep on using the One X because there are more apps.

I hated the One X so much, I couldn't get rid of it soon enough.

I could've used a yahoo fantasy baseball app yesterday though, I missed my draft. :(

Razdek

Banned
Feeling betray, my daughter sheepishly told me today she would rather keep on using the One X because there are more apps. She does complain that it stutter sometimes and battery life is crap. I was about to order the Nexus 5 for her but then reading about camera battery draining bug give me a pause.

I like how they claim this is cause by Skype and here we are blaming Google mail for Lumia battery woe.

Are you really surprised that she would prefer Android over WP? More features and more apps would generally sway most people except for the things she complained about. I get that battery bug often on my Nexus 5 and it sucks as the battery drains fast and you have to reboot to stop it.

Office Lens is out: http://www.windowsphone.com/s?appid=5681f21c-f257-4d62-83f5-5341788a5077

Scenarios:
- Capture pictures of whiteboards and share your meeting notes with co-workers.
- Make digital copies of your printed documents, business cards or posters. The text will be automatically recognized (using OCR) so you can search and edit it.
- Take pictures of menus, shopping lists, or children's sketches so you never have to worry about forgetting or misplacing them.

Features:
- With Whiteboard mode, Office Lens trims and cleans up glares and shadows.
- With Document mode, Office Lens trims and colors them perfectly.
- Save pictures not only to your camera roll, but directly into OneNote. You can see the images across all your devices.

Are you really surprised that she would prefer Android over WP? More features and more apps would generally sway most people except for the things she complained about. I get that battery bug often on my Nexus 5 and it sucks as the battery drains fast and you have to reboot to stop it.
No, not surprise, she does use iPad extensively. I don't think she care much for the features of Androids, she just like all the apps not on Windows Phone. Also teenagers, they love to download whatever latest things their friends are into.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom