• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3 Update 3| Please be excited

Status
Not open for further replies.

dLMN8R

TASTE THE HAPPY
taste-the-happy-michael.jpg

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
My University is moving to Gmail. On the one hand, its going to be a massive improvement over the current garbage system. On the other hand, I've been trying to move away from Gmail. Grrr

Also, why did lastflowers run over razdek's dog?

Razdek

Banned
My University is moving to Gmail. On the one hand, its going to be a massive improvement over the current garbage system. On the other hand, I've been trying to move away from Gmail. Grrr

Also, why did lastflowers run over razdek's dog?

What did I say that was wrong? Are they not bringing Office to the iPad? The touch version is probably going to come out before the Windows version too.They should have a parity clause that apps can't come out for other platforms before there's like their indie games clause.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Holy shit, this manages to be even better than Camscanner, wow, really impressed.

And has the added bonus of automatic onenote uploads.

Explain to me how to use this app. What do I click on to activate the ocr? It just takes a picture and saves it to OneNote, I can't get it to do anything else.

Explain to me how to use this app. What do I click on to activate the ocr? It just takes a picture and saves it to OneNote, I can't get it to do anything else.

That's right, the app just recognizes the document in the picture, crop and adjust it, then upload to OneNote, which is the one that try to OCR every image you throw at it.

so how come ms doesnt just build a new youtube service instead of just an app
If you thought Investors were angry about Bing, Xbox and being in the hardware space, you haven't seen Investors after Microsoft announces a new "YouTube" They would literally be marching up to the Redmond campus to burn it down and put Satyas head on a pike.

Not to mention, if you thought it was hard getting Developers to port apps to Windows Phone, it will look like childs play when compared to breaking the brand recognition of YouTube and getting Video Makers to put their videos on, and getting people to actually visit BingTube365.

maeh2k

How the fuck can it be that Skype is still such an absolute piece of shit?

The notifications barely work. If you send someone a message, the only way they actually get it in time is if they just so happen to already have the app open. Same with calling. I was just holding both my WP8 phone and my mother's WP8 phone and 'called' her via Skype. Didn't even ring. You'd think for 8 billion dollars you'd get a service that actually works. Maybe they should focus more on basic functionality over Skype-Lync-interop as long as there are still people left who actually use Skype.

Nero3000

Also, with Blackberry dying - a hardware supplier that can supply PC's and Smartphones to business under a single agreement could be beneficial.

As a side note, my company is moving into one of the new skyscrapers in London in 2015 and (along with an entire IT refit) we will all be getting the latest blackberry lol. I should ask if they think BalckBerry will still exist when we move in. Our company's IT is so shit. - still on XP til may (maybe).

Soooo....looks like my company are moving over to "Samsung" smartphones when we move into our new building. Most likely to be Android at this point. At least its not blackberry.

Meeting rooms etc. will be wired up to Lync, booking system to Outlook.

Also, we are going for 21:9 screens on every desk strangely.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Soooo....looks like my company are moving over to "Samsung" smartphones when we move into our new building. Most likely to be Android at this point. At least its not blackberry.

Meeting rooms etc. will be wired up to Lync, booking system to Outlook.

Also, we are going for 21:9 screens on every desk strangely.
My company is shutting down the BB servers soon and we are offering them a iphone, galaxy phone or a lumia. I have had to call a bunch of people about moving on, it is amazing how many people love those shitty BBs.

Ape

Banned
How the fuck can it be that Skype is still such an absolute piece of shit?

The notifications barely work. If you send someone a message, the only way they actually get it in time is if they just so happen to already have the app open. Same with calling. I was just holding both my WP8 phone and my mother's WP8 phone and 'called' her via Skype. Didn't even ring. You'd think for 8 billion dollars you'd get a service that actually works. Maybe they should focus more on basic functionality over Skype-Lync-interop as long as there are still people left who actually use Skype.

Tony Bates wasn't going to give us a good Skype app until he was hired as CEO. It was his only play, now we have no hope.

The Moto watch looks good, what's the ETA on WP compatible smartwatches?
First we need expanded Background Tasks, and Bluetooth 4.0. Then we need to be able to access information from built in apps such as Calendar and Me. And thats just for starters We would also need the Notification Center and the ability to pull notifications out of the notification center and get Counts for Unread Messages Unread Emails and Missed Calls.

So until then...
47053b3393e8903445d1db94dc81f8aef4e580b7_m.gif

Razdek

Banned
First we need expanded Background Tasks, and Bluetooth 4.0. Then we need to be able to access information from built in apps such as Calendar and Me. And thats just for starters We would also need the Notification Center and the ability to pull notifications out of the notification center and get Counts for Unread Messages Unread Emails and Missed Calls.

So until then...

I don't understand why they lock down those APIs to developers when a lot of the good apps need access to those applications. I hope the rumors of changes to the background tasks are true because what they have now is too limiting.

kehs

Banned

So until then...

Nokia X Watch it is.

I don't understand why they lock down those APIs to developers when a lot of the good apps need access to those applications. I hope the rumors of changes to the background tasks are true because what they have now is too limiting.

Yeah, its sad. On the bright side though, From whats leaked in the 8.1 update; it might bring us half way there with the Notification Center and Bluetooth 4.0. In addition, since you can set an app as your primary calling (or was it texting) app, we might be able to get at statistics for Calls/Messages. And I remember reading something about Background Tasks, so depending on how they do that we might be able to convince someone like Pebble to give us basic support. The Main Background Task that we need though is one which deals with constantly sending data back and fourth over the Bluetooth 4.0 Low Energy Mode... or something much faster than every 30ish Minutes.

So depending how //BUILD Goes, we might have the framework to have them directly out of the gate with 8.1... or we have to wait until WP8.1GDR1

That's not even me being pessimistic. Even if Windows Phone is successful and gets to like 20% market share, most mobile computing will still happen on Android. Running Android on Asha-style devices in emerging market doesn't necessarily diminish Microsoft's Windows Phone efforts.

Microsoft could keep the Android fork around with a Windows Phony UI, bundle all Microsoft apps and services (that they are building for Android, anyway), and create their own market place.

I wonder how hard it would be for Microsoft to create their own Android IDE (i.e. allow you to build Android apps in Visual Studio). If Microsoft's 'dev-div' operated like an independent company, they would certainly support Android, since a significant part of development happens on Android nowadays.
They could buy Xamarin to allow you to use C# for Android development and use that to encourage cross platform development for Windows Phone as well as to encourage deployment of Android apps (that don't rely on Google-specific APIs) to their hypothetical Android store. Since they make by far the best dev tools, maybe they could use the dev angle to carve out a niche on Android while simultaneously boosting Windows Phone development.
It looks like your suggestion may well be coming true. According to CNN

Sources: Microsoft In Talks To Acquire Mobile App Development Startup Xamarin

Interesting implications. I've messed around with the tools myself and I've heard that plenty of developers love the Xamerin toolset because how easily they can port their apps between iOS and Android. If this is true, and Microsoft can complete this deal; they can incorporate Android and iOS development directly into Visual Studio and include options that would allow developers the ability to port their apps even faster and with more ease using whats arguably one of the best Development IDEs in the programming industry.

Okay, so what the fuck. I'm sure some of you have gotten the "better migrate your messages from Outlook.com, we're getting rid of the message history!"

So I do that. I create a folder called "Messaging history archive" and move all of my shit over there.

Now, on my Windows Phone. All of my texts are gone. Like, if I showed y'all a screenshot of it, it would say "No messages" in my messaging app.

If I go and move them back to the original Messaging history folder...voila. All is well.

SORT YOUR SHIT OUT MS

Or am I missing something?

EDIT: LOL, it's not just me: http://www.wpcentral.com/save-outlook-message-history
chrish91 says:
Yep. Did this. Text messages start disappearing from my phone because they're linked together! Hoping that when the time comes - I don't end up loosing all my texts! Don't care so much about FB. I'm currently moving all my messages back to the original history folder in hope they'll sync back to my phone.
UPDATE: Messages appear to be syncing back to my phone without any issues. I think we need to get more specific details on this from Microsoft. If it means text messages will be stored still, but FB is not - then we need to only select FB messages etc.

Steven Curl says:
Mine did the same thing, I even asked on the forums, before restarting, which made my text messages start syncing.

This seems to me that Microsoft moved where the SMS backups are stored, which is good, but communication on this would have been nice because I was worried about not being able to restore them.

Steven Curl says:
Well and now 4 hours later in seeing them dissapear again... Mother f sorry for the info :-/ this sucks.

Malcolm Clement says:
I'm sitting here still watching all of my messages disappear... I'm currently at April of last year and gaining on March pretty quick...

Why can't they be clear on any of this crap?

Malcolm Clement says:
I'm still on the phone with them as I followed the step provided in the email and now my message history is disappearing and restarting the phone does nothing. MS is dumb.

hwalker84

Yep, that's the problem. what I'm saying is that when she logs into outlook.com, there is no folder called "messaging" so that she can back it up.
Weird I have one and just backed it up.

I've never had a Messaging folder, maybe it has something to do with how old my account is though.
I've had a Hotmail account for over 10 years and had it.

I think it only appears if you've actually used any chatting features on outlook.com
I never have.

Tech bloggers really don't like Microsoft platforms or their products.

Read how a $400 11.6" Toshiba netbook gets tested against a $299 13" Toshiba Chromebook and gets Verge'd in the process.

http://www.theverge.com/2014/3/20/5...ook-satelite-nb15t-review-chrome-os-windows-8

It also describes well how people don't really need Windows anymore for basic tasks (hence the rise of the tablets vs pc), but what irritates me is the wording in the review.

"The $379 NB15t runs on an Intel Celeron processor and beats the Chromebook in memory and storage with 4GB of RAM and a 500GB hard drive. That means you can not only save documents to the hard drive, but you can also run larger and legacy programs like Photoshop. It also runs through email, Facebook, and YouTube easily, although the sound quality is weak and the battery only lasted me about six hours. It lasts far less if you’re running more laborious programs. (Unfortunately, the Chromebook fared about the same.)"

Why is it unfortunate that the Chromebook lasts the same?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom