• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3 Update 3| Please be excited

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fjolle

Why is it unfortunate that the Chromebook lasts the same?

Obviously!
The chromebooks has twice as much battery as the windows thing, which normal people might correlate with the chromebooks bigger screen and a processor with double (!) the TPD of the windows ultrabook, and conclude that it probably equals out (?) in the end.

But tech bloggers that equals facebook and youtube with productivity just want the chromebook to be better.

JaggedSac

Obviously!
The chromebooks has twice as much battery as the windows thing, which normal people might correlate with the chromebooks bigger screen and a processor with double (!) the TPD of the windows ultrabook, and conclude that it probably equals out (?) in the end.

But tech bloggers that equals facebook and youtube with productivity just want the chromebook to be better.

Oh yeah, he certainly went into this wanting that result.

Tech bloggers really don't like Microsoft platforms or their products.

Read how a $400 11.6" Toshiba netbook gets tested against a $299 13" Toshiba Chromebook and gets Verge'd in the process.

http://www.theverge.com/2014/3/20/5...ook-satelite-nb15t-review-chrome-os-windows-8

It also describes well how people don't really need Windows anymore for basic tasks (hence the rise of the tablets vs pc), but what irritates me is the wording in the review.

"The $379 NB15t runs on an Intel Celeron processor and beats the Chromebook in memory and storage with 4GB of RAM and a 500GB hard drive. That means you can not only save documents to the hard drive, but you can also run larger and legacy programs like Photoshop. It also runs through email, Facebook, and YouTube easily, although the sound quality is weak and the battery only lasted me about six hours. It lasts far less if you’re running more laborious programs. (Unfortunately, the Chromebook fared about the same.)"

Didn't you know, its cool to hate Microsoft. But still, when I was looking at that review earlier, I didn't even have to get past the headline to know that the Chromebook was going to score better for more arbitrary reasons.

maeh2k

Tech bloggers really don't like Microsoft platforms or their products.

Read how a $400 11.6" Toshiba netbook gets tested against a $299 13" Toshiba Chromebook and gets Verge'd in the process.

http://www.theverge.com/2014/3/20/5...ook-satelite-nb15t-review-chrome-os-windows-8

It also describes well how people don't really need Windows anymore for basic tasks (hence the rise of the tablets vs pc), but what irritates me is the wording in the review.

"The $379 NB15t runs on an Intel Celeron processor and beats the Chromebook in memory and storage with 4GB of RAM and a 500GB hard drive. That means you can not only save documents to the hard drive, but you can also run larger and legacy programs like Photoshop. It also runs through email, Facebook, and YouTube easily, although the sound quality is weak and the battery only lasted me about six hours. It lasts far less if you’re running more laborious programs. (Unfortunately, the Chromebook fared about the same.)"

I'm not surprised the Chromebook got better scores for build quality and design. At those prices the Windows license is a significant part of the BOM. And until recently Google also gave the OEMs additional incentives to make Chromebooks.

If you don't value Windows, then the Chromebook probably is the better device of the two. However. I'm not sure the 11.6" Toshiba is all that representative of affordable Windows notebooks (whereas Chromebooks on the other hand all seem pretty much the same).

I'm not really happy with the article, either.

"My parents have had three laptops in the past two years [...] She’s always owned inexpensive Windows machines before, and they’ve all gone wrong — one was too slow, one presented the Blue Screen of Death a few months in, and one just stopped working for no apparent reason." -- She bought a notebook that was too slow? Oh if only she knew someone who reviews notebooks for a living and could have helped her choose an adequate device. And how to all these relatively new notebooks die so soon? Was the blue screen really 'fatal'? Maybe after buying the three shittiest sub-$400 notebooks in the world within only two years you might wanna go with a slightly higher-quality device for a change.
Also, in the last two years, where could you possibly have found a notebook that couldn't handle email, facebook, youtube, and photos?

"The keys are small and narrow, and when I typed at my normal pace I frequently missed letters and made errors." -- Then maybe don't get an 11.6" notebook if you want a bigger keyboard? It's really not that hard.

maeh2k

Saw two articles on a German blog today:

The HTC Desire 310 is quite similar to the rumored Lumia 630. 4.5" WVGA, 1GB RAM, 5MP camera without flash. They'll even have a dual-sim version. In some respects it's different from the Lumia. It'll have a MediaTek chipset, 4GB memory (expandable), and it'll have capacitive buttons. It'll cost 140 Euros. (source)
So I expect the Nokia at around that price.

However they price it, neither HTC nor Nokia can even remotely compete with Xiaomi. 5.5", 720p, ~130 Euros, MediaTek octa-core, 13MP camera with flash, 8GB memory (expandable). (source)
It'll take some time before it's available outside of Asian markets, but it'll be pretty hard to beat.

Edit: Now that I'm thinking about it, the Xiaomi is actually directly competing with the Nokia XL. Pretty close in size and price. Except that the Xiaomi absolutely destroys the Nokia in terms of specs.

What I really like about the Verge are their longform articles, which aren't written by the main tech or news staff. They're usually really interesting, but I mostly read them for the eye candy. They have great layouts and their use of CSS and the like is usually neat.

stktt

Banned
What I really like about the Verge are their longform articles, which aren't written by the main tech or news staff. They're usually really interesting, but I mostly read them for the eye candy. They have great layouts and their use of CSS and the like is usually neat.

It makes sense, considering both are owned by Vox, but The Verge reminds me a lot of Polygon in that regard.

These keep me coming back time and time again.

I pretty much only browse TheVerge for those. Their longer feature articles can be pretty good. For normal news, its usually a toss up.

MCD

I can't read the verge. their main page is more confusing than windows 8 apps view. I prefer the old list view.

maeh2k

If This Doesn't Convince You To Stop Using Hotmail, Nothing Will -- the huffingtonpost's headline of the outlook story.

"Both Yahoo and Google have similar conditions in their terms of service."

"In this case, there was a thorough review by a legal team separate from the investigating team and strong evidence of a criminal act that met a standard comparable to that required to obtain a legal order to search other sites. In fact, as noted above, such a court order was issued in other aspects of the investigation."

If the guy had used a gmail account, Microsoft could have simply gotten a court order to access it...

Microsoft could be so good at privacy, since it's not their business model to sell their users' data, but somehow they still suck at it. They get sooo much crap for Kinect, Skype, Outlook... hell, even the story about them charging money to fulfill legally required requests got people bitching. And when Google announces their new watch OS that's based on them tracking your every move both online and offline, that's just great.

dLMN8R

It's pretty convenient that the articles bashing Microsoft over the "privacy" thing, getting things wrong, are also so wrong that they don't realize it's not called "Hotmail" anymore :lol:

Cipherr

Microsoft did this to themselves. If they weren't going 110% on their 'Scroogled' campaign, this would have been a minor story.

I have to agree. Nothing that happened is out of the ordinary for ANY of the mail providers, but only one of them has spent god knows how much on poorly done 'Scroogled' ads patting themselves on the back for being superior.

Whelp, now you get to eat crap from the press.

I have a Qi pad at home and at work. Not looking forward to losing that whenever I upgrade. :/
yeah, you need to position the phone with shell perfectly. then when it is in perfect position the charge is on and off making for a very slow charge time. how the F did Nokia not test these things? if you go online you'll read similar horror stories about these shells.

well, I remember Samsung fully supporting the Qi standard over the rival. maybe that will get ATT back on board.

ElNino

Bought a wireless shell for my 1020. What a horrible experience compared to the 920's built in qi.
Yeah, it is one of the few things I don't like about my 1020. I would have much preferred it to be internal and a bit thicker.

That being said, I don't have any issues with the charging itself with the shell on.

yeah, you need to position the phone with shell perfectly. then when it is in perfect position the charge is on and off making for a very slow charge time. how the F did Nokia not test these things? if you go online you'll read similar horror stories about these shells.

well, I remember Samsung fully supporting the Qi standard over the rival. maybe that will get ATT back on board.
I would prefer a build in like 920 but I never have problem charging my 1020 using either charging pad or the JBL Power Speaker.

I don't get why Nokia is having such a hard time building a thin and light phone with wireless charging built in. The Nexus 4 and 5 both have it, LG's G2 has is and even Verizon's fricking HTC 8X had it. None of them are super thick or heavy, like the 920, 928 or the Icon.

I don't get why Nokia is having such a hard time building a thin and light phone with wireless charging built in. The Nexus 4 and 5 both have it, LG's G2 has is and even Verizon's fricking HTC 8X had it. None of them are super thick or heavy, like the 920, 928 or the Icon.
maybe Nokia does it right (built in qi) while those other phones do a shit job like Nokia's wireless shells. Coil size maybe?

Magni

Is anyone else here at DVLUP Day in NYC? I've never seen so many WP8s under one roof haha.

No news for 8.1 "because [the Nokia/MS dev evangelist] would like to keep [his] job", but a few hints saying that developers should be very happy come BUILD.

Razdek

Banned

I don't think thin and light is in Nokia's design philosophy but it would sure be nice to see one made.

I don't think thin and light is in Nokia's design philosophy but it would sure be nice to see one made.

I don't think it has anything to do with philosophy. Both, the Lumia 720 and 925 are relatively thin and light and both lack wireless charging. I don't think it's a coincidence.

?? Wireless charging is flawless on my n5. No reason for Nokia to be so bulky.

I am thinking it's combination of camera housing and wireless but if you look at the shell, they are fairly thin so if they do proper 920 follow up with build in Qi charging I am sure it would be thinner. The 920 is actually the only phone with Qi build in and it was the first generation of Qi + OIS camera, since the current crop of phones are all gutted by At&t mandate we really have not have a proper follow up. 920 is big and bulky because of the camera housing and they have shrink that considerably since.

Razdek

Banned
I don't think it has anything to do with philosophy. Both, the Lumia 720 and 925 are relatively thin and light and both lack wireless charging. I don't think it's a coincidence.

The 720 is a low end phone so there is no way they'd put builtin wireless charging in that. The 925 is made with aluminum and that's the only reason why it's light. It's comparable to the HTC One which is also aluminum and I don't think has wireless charging as well.

The 720 is a low end phone so there is no way they'd put builtin wireless charging in that. The 925 is made with aluminum and that's the only reason why it's light. It's comparable to the HTC One which is also aluminum and I don't think has wireless charging as well.

The Lumia 720 had a MSRP of €299 off contact, when it came out. That is not the price of a low-end phone. And they did release a wireless charging shell for it, just like for the 820 (which was €499 with similar specs, btw). And the footprint of the 720 is similar to the 8X, which means that Nokia could've put better hardware, including wireless charging in there, without making it big and heavy.

WBpLKug.jpg

Razdek

Banned
The Lumia 720 had a MSRP of €299 off contact, when it came out. That is not the price of a low-end phone. And they did release a wireless charging shell for it, just like for the 820 (which was €499 with similar specs, btw). And the footprint of the 720 is similar to the 8X, which means that Nokia could've put better hardware, including wireless charging in there, without making it big and heavy.

WBpLKug.jpg

I was hesitant to call it a low end phone as it's more a mid end phone for WP. Having a low res screen, 512 MB of RAM and 8GB of memory to me is usually a low end phone. The pricing for the 720 and 820 was high for the specs you got. I think Nokia simply chooses to hold out and put built in wireless charging only for their higher end phones so it's one of the stand out features.

Can they do it? Probably but it's easier to sell an add on case and less effort since I don't think wireless charging is one of the big factors when purchasing a phone compared to camera, size, weight, screen, batter, etc.

JimiNutz

Banned
I think I'm done with my little Android experiment.
My girlfriend bought me a Sony Xperia Z1 for my birthday 6 months ago or so and I really tried to give Android a go but I hate it.

I havent really been following windows phone recently, any idea when the next Nokia flagship is due to arrive?

maeh2k

I think I'm done with my little Android experiment.
My girlfriend bought me a Sony Xperia Z1 for my birthday 6 months ago or so and I really tried to give Android a go but I hate it.

I havent really been following windows phone recently, any idea when the next Nokia flagship is due to arrive?

Rumor has it the Lumia 930 will be announced at Build (April 2-4).

was out at a bar last night and the cougar next to me and my wife had a red Verizon 8X. i particular fondness for the 8X because the 720p screen compared to Nokia's 768p makes for a narrower phone. anyway, this woman not only had the phone but was using it to show her friends facebook pictures, people hub, etc. her home screen looked like she had arranged tiles in a nice stylish orderly fashion and even her app store tile didn't have a number notifying her to update 20+ apps. her lock screen was even set to facebook pictures. a friend next to her had an iphone and it just looked so dated in comparison. the group of 4 women passed around the red 8X to view pics, take pics, etc as if it were the belle of the ball. really a shame that the 8X never caught on. then again, i went on ebay this morning for shits and giggles to price some 8X's and the used ones show a lot of wear. HTC seems to have engineered some shitty coating over the plastic that flakes off over time.

the 8X and the lumia 925 are absolute stunners when seen in the wild. these phone should have sold way more than they did, especially to females.

I'm pretty sure a mod exists on WPCentral to stick a wireless charging coil inside the back casing of the 925.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom