• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3 Update 3| Please be excited

Status
Not open for further replies.

MCD

Qais H. Abu-Hasan asked MOSECO, Nokia’s exclusive distributor in Palestine, when the handset will be arriving.

They replied that it was a great device, and that Nokia had told them it will be released in Q2 2014, and of course that it will have Windows Phone 8.1 out of the box.

In February Nextleaks claimed the Nokia Lumia 930 will have a Quadcore 2.2GHz processor, 2 GB, 16 GB storage, microSD support, a 2700mAh battery, 20 MP camera, and 4.5inch 1920x1080p screen.

According to evLeaks the handset is apparently code-named the Nokia Martini.

http://wmpoweruser.com/nokias-middl...&utm_campaign=Feed:+WmPowerUser+(WMPowerUser)

hadareud

The Translator
The 128gb card is far too expensive imo.

A decent 64gb card cam be had for around GBP 30, 128gb costs 4 times as much.

Maybe in a years time.

KageMaru

Am I the only one who thinks it's odd they would stick the larger battery in the smaller phone? If the 930 really is 4.5", I would expect it to have the same 2420mAh battery in the Icon.

PG2G

Pay attention to the source of those 930 speaks. It is NextLeaks, not someone more reputable like evLeaks. The tweet with the specs also no longer exists.

They also claim that in September we'll be seeing a 1525 with 2K display and solar charging beneath the screen.

Could be possible I guess? But no proven track record.

hadareud

The Translator
Things I'm really curious about with 8.1 (apart from how things that have already leaked will work):

- will there be a significant upgrade to the store?
- upgrades to the built in apps like mail (will it be brought in line with W8.1?)
- UI improvements to IE11 (again, will cues be taken from W?)
- will they make it easier for alternative browsers to appear on the platform? If so, how long will it take Brot to finally code a Dolphin HD clone?
- will the settings page be updated/uncluttered?
- will there be an alternative to entering a pin to unlock the phone like a pattern (ffs!)?

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
The plus side of waiting so long for this update is that the developer beta I'm gonna put on my 1020 should be super stable. Also, its a toss up whether Cortana will work where I live, despite me being in the United States. If it doesn't, that will certainly take away a key platform feature and selling point for me.

hadareud

The Translator
If it doesn't at least work in the US and UK at launch, Microsoft should be hanging their head in shame.

I'm not saying that localisation is easy or cheap when done properly (I know for a fact that it's anything but), but for a company of Microsofts size and ambition it would very embarrassing if they didn't manage at least that.

Really they should cover all major languages and regions (English, Spanish, German, French, Italian, Chinese, Russian in various countries) at launch or very shortly after and the niche languages (Scandinavian languages, Dutch, Japanese etc.) within 6 to 12 months.

The voice stuff that has been in WP since 7 still doesn't work in Dutch so I'm not going to hold my breath for Cortana. The actual TellMe service is used by almost all customer service hotlines so the tech isn't the problem. I just hope Cortana isn't region locked somehow, I use all software in English anyway so I don't mind if Cortana speaks English.

kazinova

- will the settings page be updated/uncluttered?
- will there be an alternative to entering a pin to unlock the phone like a pattern (ffs!)?

I hope the settings page is fixed and the addition I want is picture password from Win8 over pattern like Android.

Looks like I'll be getting a 1020 at this rate. I'm going to need a replacement now that the flash has died on my 920 and I'm not interested in the rumored 930 or the ginormous 1520. It's surprising how much I was usingthe flash on my phone as a flashlight. I really miss it.

MCD

aCD3Awj.jpg

PG2G

Looks like I'll be getting a 1020 at this rate. I'm going to need a replacement now that the flash has died on my 920 and I'm not interested in the rumored 930 or the ginormous 1520. It's surprising how much I was usingthe flash on my phone as a flashlight. I really miss it.

The SoC in the Lumia 1020 is like 2 years old. I can't imagine buying that phone right now unless you don't care about anything other than cameras.

PG2G

Part of me wonders whether a 1030 in the same vein as the 1020 will actually exist. The technology has trickled down into their mainstream phones already. Wouldn't be surprised if they turn their eyes to something new and innovative when it comes to photography.

hadareud

The Translator
Part of me wonders whether a 1030 in the same vein as the 1020 will actually exist. The technology has trickled down into their mainstream phones already. Wouldn't be surprised if they turn their eyes to something new and innovative when it comes to photography.

82 mega pixels.

kazinova

The SoC in the Lumia 1020 is like 2 years old. I can't imagine buying that phone right now unless you don't care about anything other than cameras.

I hate logic! It's the thing that ruins all the things!

I guess I'll see how I feel about whatever Nokia announces on the 2nd (apparently they have a presser at 4pm after BUILD) But I want dat tru pureview camera!

Yeah, after the Galaxy Nexus I've become wary of buying phones that almost or more than a year old. My GF desperately wants a Lumia 1320 for reasons I still not know, but since she doesn't want to use any data on the go, I'm getting her a Toshiba Encore or Dell Venue 8 Pro. Since these tablets are still cheaper than a 1320, I thought about getting her a 620 or 820 as well, but these devices are already EOL and who knows when the support is being cut off.

PG2G

If the 930 is just a baby 1520 then that should be a pretty nice device. Maybe they'll go a step further and use the Snapdragon 801

For fucks sake, Nokia.

If I had known about the wireless charging mod for the 925, I probably would've bought that one, rather than a 920.

C3piPs2.jpg

walking my dog this morning and saw an older hispanic lady at the bus stop with what could have been a 928 or an icon. it was nice to see.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom