• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3 Update 3| Please be excited

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lucius86

Banned
Does anyone know why sometime when you update an app it crashes on load, and you have to uninstall then reinstall to get it going again?

Bah, woke up this morning and realised the error of my ways. Whoops.

New Store looks better

WPC_Store_81_example.jpg

Windows_Phone81_store_new.jpg

http://www.wpcentral.com/overhauled-store-windows-phone-81

Definitely an improvement.

hadareud

The Translator
Big improvement, and very necessary too.

I think it's time to change the design though. The white on black background works well with simple things like settings, people hub, reading stuff etc., but for the store a bit of a lighter theme wouldn't hurt. It just doesn't look very inviting as it is.

hadareud

The Translator
It is very cool.

But I still don't want to use a case. I know protection and all, but at the end of the day I want to see the phone I bought (and in this case it's a very nice looking phone) instead of a case. Any case.

DonMigs85

It is very cool.

But I still don't want to use a case. I know protection and all, but at the end of the day I want to see the phone I bought (and in this case it's a very nice looking phone) instead of a case. Any case.
I guess you could still use Invisible Shield or something to protect against scuffs.

hadareud

The Translator
Nah, those I hate too. No matter how hard I try, there's always bubbles and stuff like that.

I can live with a few scratches. I've had my 1020 since October and it has one scratch on the body and no scratches on the screen at all. The one scratch is annoying, because otherwise it's absolutely flawless (and I can't for the life of me remember how it happened, because it's bloody difficult to scratch), but such is life.

It is very cool.

Same. Glance inherently has more value to me because I don't want to use a case.

amazon to make an announcement on april 2nd regarding their streaming service, possibly a roku style streaming box.

yes, same day as Build and Nokia's announcement.

MCD

amazon to make an announcement on april 2nd regarding their streaming service, possibly a roku style streaming box.

yes, same day as Build and Nokia's announcement.

Isn't Samsung announcing the S5 on the same day too? Belfiore is gonna get shafted. Again.

hankster

http://www.noreve.com/langue/en/product/Nokia_Lumia_1820_Tradition_leather_case.html

from http://m.gsmarena.com/case_maker_confirms_lumia_1820_galaxy_s5_zoom_s5_mini-news-8151.php

In case you haven't heard of the Lumia 1820, it supposedly has a 5.2" QHD screen and a Snapdragon 805 chipset.

edit: Old news / rumor it seems. But maybe getting firmer if case makers are working on it?

p.s. Another new story:
http://www.phonearena.com/news/Noki...alaxy-S5-Zoom-confirmed-by-case-maker_id54456

T-Mobile had both grey and white, att had the black.

As a US T-Mo customer and owner of a white 925, grey was not an option when I got my phone back last fall.

Is the grey a recent addition, or an option available to world markets?

The grey is really attractive, and would have essentially given me a phone that matched my DeLorean's color scheme (no thank you on Samsung's ugly ass phone).

As a US T-Mo customer and owner of a white 925, grey was not an option when I got my phone back last fall.

Is the grey a recent addition, or an option available to world markets?

The grey is really attractive, and would have essentially given me a phone that matched my DeLorean's color scheme (no thank you on Samsung's ugly ass phone).
Nokia has made grey versions of several of their phones in the last couple of years and from what I've seen the carriers never pick up that color.

Shame, the grey looks pretty great.

DonMigs85

My mom's Lumia 720 still suffers from a random loss of touch response (then a few moments later it works again). It really seems to be a software bug but I wonder if it could be defective.

They've gone full Android.

In other news, I totally missed the Office for iPad event yesterday and you guys didn't even talk about it. Not a single feeling of being betrayed? I'm disappointed.

hadareud

The Translator
They're doing what they should have done some time ago. They need to bring their services and apps to all platforms - they need to accept the reality of the market and make the best of it, otherwise they're going to get passed by.

Obviously there's one thing that they are getting wrong: their own platforms should be the reference. The best versions and the best experience should be on their own platform and it should be there first. Otherwise there's zero incentive for anyone to ever move over.

So to release a superior version of office on another platform with a vague promise that a Windows version will follow is just a bit silly.

The same goes for all their products. Skype, Office etc. Fucking bring them up to scratch on your own platforms.

hadareud

The Translator
I don't see how it makes a difference. They only need to make an RT version, nothing else.

I also don't see RT as a waste of time, considering the next logical step is to merge WP with RT from a store/development perspective.

And I have a Surface 2!

They wouldn't have to merge anything, if they'd used Windows Phone as the base in the first place. BigWin won the internal battle, they lost the bet and a year or two with it. Total waste of time for everyone.

hadareud

The Translator
I don't know, I think they had to do it and develop an ARM version. They should have done it differently, sure.

But in hindsight it's easy to be smart.

The problem with RT is as much W8's perception as it is the fact that it was marketed and positioned questionably (to say the least).

edit: as for the WP thing, I think the reality of WP's kernel move meant that this idea was a total no-go. In an alternate reality, it would have been the ideal thing to do, though.

CaptainABAB

Obviously there's one thing that they are getting wrong: their own platforms should be the reference. The best versions and the best experience should be on their own platform and it should be there first.

The only problem with this premise is what do they do when their own platform is not as mature (whether API or tooling or something else)? Do they gimp the iOS version because RT lacks a feature?

Razdek

Banned
They wouldn't have to merge anything, if they'd used Windows Phone as the base in the first place. BigWin won the internal battle, they lost the bet and a year or two with it. Total waste of time for everyone.

I agree, RT wasn't needed and they should have just did what Android and IOS did and used the WP platform for tablets. Who knows when these merged APIs are going to get done.

ElNino

Does anyone else use Nokia MixRadio? Usually, I just use my Xbox Music subscription,
thanks Nokia/Virgin ;-)
but lately I've been using MixRadio and found that it is actually pretty awesome when I just want to listen to music for a bit during my commute or drives around town. The Play Me option has done a surprisingly good job of giving me music I like, and I guess it might get even better if I used the thumbs up/down option more.

Tomcat

Does anyone else use Nokia MixRadio? Usually, I just use my Xbox Music subscription,
thanks Nokia/Virgin ;-)
but lately I've been using MixRadio and found that it is actually pretty awesome when I just want to listen to music for a bit during my commute or drives around town. The Play Me option has done a surprisingly good job of giving me music I like, and I guess it might get even better if I used the thumbs up/down option more.

of course since it has offline mixes for me its better than Spotify. I use nokia mix on my phone and Spotify for desktop. best of two worlds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom