• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3 Update 3| Please be excited

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone else use Nokia MixRadio? Usually, I just use my Xbox Music subscription,
thanks Nokia/Virgin ;-)
but lately I've been using MixRadio and found that it is actually pretty awesome when I just want to listen to music for a bit during my commute or drives around town. The Play Me option has done a surprisingly good job of giving me music I like, and I guess it might get even better if I used the thumbs up/down option more.
yes, i'm actually using the premium $4 a month service to get the higher quality and unlimited skips. best of all there's no contract and no default autopay.

ElNino

yes, i'm actually using the premium $4 a month service to get the higher quality and unlimited skips. best of all there's no contract and no default autopay.
Do you notice the quality difference with the premium service? Does it use the high quality for streaming as well, or only downloaded tracks?

I think the best use of that custom background is going to be solid colors that aren't available in the accent color picker, but now I'm wondering what the accent color will be for text when you do this.

Also, do we know whether or not future large 1080p devices will have an option to switch to two columns instead of 3? I played with a 1520 and I literally could not find a way to arrange tiles that I liked. I don't really know what could be done to fix it for my tastes either, 3-square-wide live tiles would be kinda useless and a 3x2 tile would be an enormous waste of space.

I have a relative going to build, so if he brings home an 8.1 device I'll share some impressions and pics!

Ape

Banned
I think the best use of that custom background is going to be solid colors that aren't available in the accent color picker, but now I'm wondering what the accent color will be for text when you do this.

Also, do we know whether or not future large 1080p devices will have an option to switch to two columns instead of 3? I played with a 1520 and I literally could not find a way to arrange tiles that I liked. I don't really know what could be done to fix it for my tastes either, 3-square-wide live tiles would be kinda useless and a 3x2 tile would be an enormous waste of space.

I have a relative going to build, so if he brings home an 8.1 device I'll share some impressions and pics!

That's what we like to hear.

They wouldn't have to merge anything, if they'd used Windows Phone as the base in the first place. BigWin won the internal battle, they lost the bet and a year or two with it. Total waste of time for everyone.

This is really what they should have done, is upscale WP to tablet size and improve from there. Now they are even more behind in both tablet and phone. .

Even starting from Windows Phone it still would have been a failure lol

Yes, but by taking Windows Phone and saying "this will be our Metro Side", more money, time and man power could have been put behind the Windows Phone OS from day 1 of Windows 8's existence. Windows Phone would be further along and Windows 8 would be further along, and then we wouldn't have the vast differences across both.

KageMaru

You get used to it. I originally couldn't stand it on my Icon, but I eventually found an arrangement that I'm quite fond of now.

f0lken

i think they can still save RT if they allow all WP apps being run in snapped mode, and making it easy to extend them to full screen mode with little tweaks

maeh2k

That parallax effect makes it look a lot slicker than similar designs via current Windows Phone apps.
... but I still kind of hate it.

f0lken

That parallax effect makes it look a lot slicker than similar designs via current Windows Phone apps.
... but I still kind of hate it.

It desperately need color options beyond black and white for the background, we only need it for the start screen MS, do it

i think they can still save RT if they allow all WP apps being run in snapped mode, and making it easy to extend them to full screen mode with little tweaks

I agree I would like to see WP8 apps on Windows RT, but does RT need to be saved? Just saw this today, according to AdDuplex Windows RT represents about 16% of all Windows 8 devices and rising:

world-devices_thumb.png

In more than half a year since our last look, Surface RT share has grown 1.5x and Surface 2 arrived at number 4.

http://blog.adduplex.com/2014/03/quick-glance-at-windows-8-device.html

world-surface_thumb.png

They were thinking the huge install base of Windows would cause developers to develop Metro apps. That obviously was not the case.

Windows 8's app store has grown much faster than Windows Phone and has a lot of apps that Windows Phone lacks. And that's with Windows Phone paying developers and porting apps themselves while Windows 8 does not. Also most WP apps were built for a portrait landscape and phone experience and MS was probably not excited about making the same mistake that hurt Android tablets early on.

What they did with Windows 8's app store was probably the best possible scenario at that point in time. Now that the same team is working on both Windows and Windows Phone hopefully the Windows touch experience will improve.

No comparison of IE on phone vs. tablet though. The tablet version has been far far ahead of phone. It looks like the WP8.1 version of IE is catching up (still no Flash though)

Razdek

Banned
It won't look nice if some tiles stay their own solid colors like OneDrive and the Bing apps. I hope you can change those.

Yea that part bugs me too but I'll bet the answer on being no it's logical to think that if you can, it would be automatic like the rest of the tiles.

JaggedSac

Adduplex sells ads for metro aps. Tablet users are more likely to use Metro apps than desktop users. I don't think adduplex is a good barometer for W8 as a whole.

frontieruk

Bar the parallax scrolling that works pretty much how I called it, what will be interesting to see is how it deals with a start screen that's maxed out.

maeh2k

Adduplex sells ads for metro aps. Tablet users are more likely to use Metro apps than desktop users. I don't think adduplex is a good barometer for W8 as a whole.

Yeah, they've sold 100+ million Windows 8 licenses and the Surface RT bombed. If anything that chart shows that users on traditional PCs don't use Metro apps.

As for the discussion whether Microsoft should have gone with Windows Phone for tablets, it wouldn't have made a difference. Windows Phone wouldn't have had the slightest chance to compete against Android, and as Mircosoft have found out, neither did Windows.

Personally, I agree entirely with the vision of Windows supporting every device and input method. Basing the mobile OS on Windows doesn't automatically make it worse -- with 8.1 you never actually have to go to the desktop. And you get a lot of benefits like being able to plug in any USB device or accessing the Homegroup,

JaggedSac

Bar the parallax scrolling that works pretty much how I called it, what will be interesting to see is how it deals with a start screen that's maxed out.

I can't recall on W8, but does the parallax effect not use the number of tiles to determine the amount of distance the background moves?

maeh2k

You mean a very long start screen? It would just slow down the parallax scrolling. The background picture won't disappear or repeat when you scroll way down.

zedge

Not even 920.

I beg to differ. The 920 was hard to get non blurry shots from in my experience. S3 took better pictures for me. 920 camera is overated imo.

Your telling me the 920 still has a better camera than say a Note 3, or S4? Nevermind the S5 or other new high end phones. HTC excluded.

An option you won't ever have to see if you don't want to is genuinely making you consider leaving a platform?

I find that hard to believe/scary if true.

Oh come on, you know it's not just this one decision, it's combination of things from the last year. I was really disappointed with Windows Phone 8 and how incomplete and buggy it was at launch then there was the dismantle of Zune and then Xbox functionality. I said the same thing since Windows Phone 8 came out, that only reason I am still on this platform is because of Nokia.

Instead of spending resource to making the Start screen uglier why not spend on doing thing that actually matter to the OS. Microsoft is the one that innovate in this OS arena and champion simple, flat and fluids OS and now they are tuning Windows Phone into what I was trying to get away from.

wat? Maybe not 1020 camera but cmon.

Sorry no way I am using ugly Samsung phone. I would consider One or even Nexus 5 but both have terrible camera not to mention terrible battery on the Nexus. Sony is my other option but their phone really is not widely available here in the US.

If rumor of bigger iPhone is coming this fall I will probably consider that, unless MicroNokia really surprise me with fall line up but I am not holding my breath. They are going to go through period of adjustment and integration which mean probably nothing new until next year and they probably just rerelease some interim phones. I really don't expect 1020 follow up this year.

MarkusRJR

So I've started to use my Google account's calendar since it syncs across my tablet and PC. Does it integrate with WP8? My phone isn't with me right now so I can't fiddle around in the calendar app. I remember hearing some complaints regarding Google usage on WP but it's been smooth sailing regarding my email, so I'm worried this is where it'll crop up finally.

Sordid

Hexic is full of crappy microtransactions :( was quite enjoying it until the old 'pay £1.29 for extra lives or wait 25 minutes' reared it's ugly head.

JaggedSac

Quite expensive micro transactions at that. $5 for a couple boosters. Fuck off with that. Luckily, I haven't needed them yet as the levels are not difficult as of yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom