• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3 Update 3| Please be excited

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its all up to the publishers. If Microsoft wont/cant get the licence for songs, or indie artists dont want to put music up on Xbox Music, then we wont get it... Also We dont have a way for Indie Artists to actually get songs up on the store. iTunes has a program for Indies to upload and manage stuff to the store themselves, with Xbox Music they have to go through a third party.

That explains a lot. There are a few tracks from some artists missing, but it's indeed mostly indie stuff that I'm missing.

Has Ms expressed any desire in opening up the store? Specially now that they seem to be opening xbox development for indies, and since their store is branded under Xbox...

Build sessions are up. Unfortunately nothing about an open app marketplace on the Bone :(

They wouldn't need a session for that, just saying the bone store would be open and it would follow the same rules of the other stores would suffice :p

What's troubling is that xbone is absent from pretty much all talks about development, even the ones related to graphics and games.

There are actually only 3 sessions about xbone:

One about new Smartglass apis, A new Xbox Music api that let's developers of Windows, Windows Phone, and Xbox apps connect their apps to their services, and one that sounds promissing: Understanding the Xbox One Game Platform Built on Windows, but it has no description.

Razdek

Banned
Man, I hope there's some satisfying good news for WP8.1 at /build//. I'm just so tired of them being so many steps behind the curve. I really love the asthetic of WP and don't want to switch but the look and feel of Android has improved so much that it'd be nice to have the WP team prodded into getting current.

Don't we say that every time there is a WP unveiling event and then always get disappointed? This is probably their best shot to at least get up to parity feature wise but hopefully they have a few new ones that hasn't been done before.

kazinova

Build sessions are up. Unfortunately nothing about an open app marketplace on the Bone :(

I still think the idea of an open app store on XB1 is a really great idea. That's why it's not going to happen. I don't know why anyone would get their hopes up for good news for the XB1...

JaggedSac

They wouldn't need a session for that, just saying the bone store would be open and it would follow the same rules of the other stores would suffice :p

What's troubling is that xbone is absent from pretty much all talks about development, even the ones related to graphics and games.

There are actually only 3 sessions about xbone:

One about new Smartglass apis, A new Xbox Music api that let's developers of Windows, Windows Phone, and Xbox apps connect their apps to their services, and one that sounds promissing: Understanding the Xbox One Game Platform Built on Windows, but it has no description.

Come on man, they'd have a session for it.

Yeah, saw they only had 3 sessions specifically for the Bone.

I still think the idea of an open app store on XB1 is a really great idea. That's why it's not going to happen. I don't know why anyone would get their hopes up for good news for the XB1...

:p don't poop in my coffee.

maeh2k

http://wmpoweruser.com/windows-phone-slips-slightly-in-europe-under-onslaught-from-the-moto-g/

"The numbers show a slight weakening in Windows Phone’s position in Europe, with the OS dropping from 10.1 a month earlier to 9.7% of the EU5 market."

“Motorola was nowhere in Europe before the Moto G launched in November last year, but the new model has since boosted the manufacturer to 6% of British sales. It highlights the speed at which a quality budget phone can disrupt a market. The same pattern can be seen in France with Wiko, which has 8.3% share, and Xiaomi in China with 18.5%.”

That's not going to get any easier for Windows Phone with Xiaomi, Huawei, and Lenovo pushing down the prices and offering better quality for entry-level phones.
Maybe there's still time for Microsoft to pay off the Chinese to cancel the acquisition ;)

hadareud

The Translator
http://wmpoweruser.com/windows-phone-slips-slightly-in-europe-under-onslaught-from-the-moto-g/

"The numbers show a slight weakening in Windows Phone’s position in Europe, with the OS dropping from 10.1 a month earlier to 9.7% of the EU5 market."

“Motorola was nowhere in Europe before the Moto G launched in November last year, but the new model has since boosted the manufacturer to 6% of British sales. It highlights the speed at which a quality budget phone can disrupt a market. The same pattern can be seen in France with Wiko, which has 8.3% share, and Xiaomi in China with 18.5%.”

That's not going to get any easier for Windows Phone with Xiaomi, Huawei, and Lenovo pushing down the prices and offering better quality for entry-level phones.
Maybe there's still time for Microsoft to pay off the Chinese to cancel the acquisition ;)

//build/ 2014 [OT] With any luck, this is the last one.

That explains a lot. There are a few tracks from some artists missing, but it's indeed mostly indie stuff that I'm missing.

Has Ms expressed any desire in opening up the store? Specially now that they seem to be opening xbox development for indies, and since their store is branded under Xbox...
I dont think they have expressed interest in it yet. One would hope they do though. Then there would be a higher chance of getting more promotion for the service through Youtuber Artists and other Indies.

MCD

Frankly, a key to me moving into Terry Myerson's team, who runs the platform software team for the whole company, is to make sure we have gaming in his leadership team, so when we're focused on Windows—the future of Windows, what we're doing with Windows Phone—that we think about the success that we've built with Xbox in gaming and make sure we learn from that.

http://kotaku.com/meet-the-gaming-guy-who-is-now-running-all-of-xbox-1555376349

What we are doing with Windows Phone...nothing.

Razdek

Banned
Don't take it the bad way but with WP I always think the consideration always goes like this:

-What about WP?
---Nah, we're good

Yea that's what I picture as well but on the idea board it goes something like this:

Microsoft Manager: I have a great idea for this cool mobile app for iPhone and Android devices
Random Employee: What about WP?
Microsoft Manager:...... fine, I guess we can do it after we release it on iPhone and Android but get the summer students to do it.

hadareud

The Translator
Getting a bit moany in here.

A couple of days before the big update. You should be ashamed of yourselves.

edit: In case anyone wants to point out my hypocrisy: I'm allowed to because I've always been a cunt.

Razdek

Banned

Not really. Many of us have been through these big WP events with optimism only to be disappointed in the end so I'm leaving my "rah rah Microsoft" pom pom's at home.

So what day is the main conference taking place?

My cousin's trip to Build is being cut short, but if it's Wednesday and they offer wp 8.1 devices to the attendees the same day I'll grab some pictures and/or impressions for you guys.

JaggedSac

So what day is the main conference taking place?

My cousin's trip to Build is being cut short, but if it's Wednesday and they offer wp 8.1 devices to the attendees the same day I'll grab some pictures and/or impressions for you guys.

They have keynotes on Wed and Thur. Not sure what is happening when.

MCD

edit: In case anyone wants to point out my hypocrisy: I'm allowed to because I've always been a cunt.

hey we are just having some fun.

Ape

Banned
Can't wait until we find out that we already know everything about 8.1. Oh, and that Cortana is way inferior in quality to it's rivals so that we keep waiting for "one more update".

Make it happen, Joe!

What time is the keynote? Have every intention in listening to as much of it as I can, for career and geek purposes.

t1396452600z4.png

I'll have the thread up tomorrow. Dont worry, you wont miss it :p

hadareud

The Translator
Is there much between the S4 and 5 apart from the SOC and a 16mp camera instead of the 13?

Sounds to me that it has the SOC of the S5 (more or less) and the camera of the S4.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Why couldn't they just stick the 16mp sensor in there? I know that they needed 8.1 to support the new Qualcomm so I guess I understand why they put the 800 rather than the 801. But the 16mp sensor should've been there.

PG2G

Why couldn't they just stick the 16mp sensor in there? I know that they needed 8.1 to support the new Qualcomm so I guess I understand why they put the 800 rather than the 801. But the 16mp sensor should've been there.

Probably just wanted to give the Galaxy line a leg up, especially considering the S5 isn't even out yet on Verizon. Not like the ATIV would steal too many sales either way though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom