• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3 Update 3| Please be excited

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Cortana Update:

This morning, I in LA, Santa Monica in fact, waiting for my slow-ass colleague to come downstairs to the lobby, because the cab is waiting to take us to Burbank. In LA traffic. At rush hour.

We get in the car, pull around the block and Cortana pipes up,

"Yo Stinkles, you should really get moving because you have an appointment at SECRET LOCATION and with this traffic it might be rough bro" - although I paraphrase, because she was much more charming and polite. AND the reminder included a link to the DRIVE directions. So I was able to tell the cab driver, instantly, an exact address I was previously ignorant of.

But (to me) the craziest part was that I hadn't set a reminder, nor an alarm, nor did I actually know precisely where the appointment was, nor how long it would take, nor the directions. But because the appt was in my Outlook calendar and I hadn't declined it, she was on top of things.

I was genuinely speechless.

Cortana Update:

This morning, I in LA, Santa Monica in fact, waiting for my slow-ass colleague to come downstairs to the lobby, because the cab is waiting to take us to Burbank. In LA traffic. At rush hour.

"Yo Stinkles, you should really get moving because you have an appointment at SECRET LOCATION and with this traffic it might be rough bro" - although I paraphrase, because she was much more charming and polite. AND the reminder included a link to the DRIVE directions. So I was able to tell the cab driver, instantly, an exact address I was previously ignorant of.

But (to me) the craziest part was that I hadn't set a reminder, nor an alarm, nor did I actually know precisely where the appointment was, nor how long it would take, nor the directions. But because the appt was in my Outlook calendar and I hadn't declined it, she was on top of things.

jelly as fuk.

how's the preview? Solid? Are you on an older device?

The Flash

Banned
Cortana Update:

16.gif

wow wow wow, slow down mister. we got a customizable pull down menu, independent sound controls, and siri on this release.
I'm setting up my parents' 521s for the dev preview and was instantly reminded how I hate diving in here. Wish there was some kind of segmentation/pagination between Microsoft settings and Nokia's extra settings rather than dumping everything into a wordy and featureless list.

Glad customizable quick toggles are finally here to alleviate that though, no idea how you guys lived without them.

PG2G

I'm setting up my parents' 521s for the dev preview and was instantly reminded how I hate diving in here. Wish there was some kind of segmentation/pagination between Microsoft settings and Nokia's extra settings rather than dumping everything into a wordy and featureless list.

Glad customizable quick toggles are finally here to alleviate that though, no idea how you guys lived without them.

For what its worth, all of the Microsoft settings come first. I know that isn't as nice as having some sort of real division though

dLMN8R

When I was going through my quick 1520 phase last week, I was reminded that the 1020 has the exact same internal hardware as my 18-month-old 920 just with double the ram. Made me so sad that there's nothing faster than that on AT&T except for the 1520 :-(

(Especially considering that the 1020 is still a lot more expensive than the 1520)

nillapuddin

dont want to hear any complaints about all the lumia choices yall have

now that all my dreams of Sprint getting any new devices have been completely dashed, Im considering picking up an 8XT this month

talk about settling : (

Ape

Banned
When I was going through my quick 1520 phase last week, I was reminded that the 1020 has the exact same internal hardware as my 18-month-old 920 just with double the ram. Made me so sad that there's nothing faster than that on AT&T except for the 1520 :-(

(Especially considering that the 1020 is still a lot more expensive than the 1520)

And the 920 is still chugging along just fine. Seriously, no performance problems at all here. The only reason I haven't been in a hurry to upgrade. Takes good photos too. I was at Dockweiler beach the other day and took some pretty good pics.

f0lken

dont want to hear any complaints about all the lumia choices yall have

now that all my dreams of Sprint getting any new devices have been completely dashed, Im considering picking up an 8XT this month

talk about settling : (

Other than resolution it looks like a perfectly capable phone

I sold my friend on WP and the 630's low price. He's on T-Mobile and has a blackberry. Hopefully the 630 gets released by the end of the month.

Heretic

Cortana Update:

HNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNGGGGG!

So... why are you in my neck of the woods? HMMMM?

I sold my friend on WP and the 630's low price. He's on T-Mobile and has a blackberry. Hopefully the 630 gets released by the end of the month.

My GF is still looking for a Lumia and I really want to recommend the 630, but compared to the Moto G for the same price it's a bad phone, period.

Simple spec comparison between the two:

Lumia 630:
4.5" IPS screen, resolution 854 x 480
Snapdragon 400, 4x 1.2 GHz
512 MB RAM
5 MP camera, no FFC
8 GB storage
microSD slot
1830mAh battery

€159 (not available)

Moto G:
4.5", resolution 1280x720
Snapdragon 400, 4x 1.2 GHz
1 GB RAM
5 MP camera, 1.3 MP FFC
8 GB storage
no microSD
2070mAh battery

€169 (available)

The resolution might not even be that important to her, but I really don't want her to get a 512 MB RAM device in 2014. That's just bullshit. The microSD expansion is really the only plus the Lumia has over the Moto G.

ElNino

The grip is overpriced. Doesn't protect the screen enough, not a big enough battery either.
I don't even know how much it is supposed to sell for, everyone that has one here got them for free I think (from Rogers at least).

I don't really use mine much... maybe I should try to sell it.

PG2G

Hopefully the street price on the Lumia 630 drops like the 520 did. I agree that it doesn't look like the best deal compared to the Moto G. You would think they could do better considering that they no longer have to pay OS licensing fees.

Would still take it over a Moto G though, for software reasons :p

hadareud

The Translator
My mother has a 520 and that runs "fine", too. But why would I let her pay the same price for inferior hardware?

Depends on what is important to her. No SD card in the MotoG is a killer imo.

8GB when you want to listen to music on your phone makes the device completely impossible.

That said, the resolution on the 630 is a joke. Just silly. I don't see the memory as a problem for anyone but a gamer, on the other hand. So it's a problem.

Yes, I'd still take the 630 for software reasons and the micro SD slot. I don't see the ram limitation being an issue unless you're a gamer.

without the micro SD slot, the Moto G is gonna chug to a crawl once the memory gets full. android devices tend to get real funny once you fill it up with apps, games, and music.

monome

Cortana Update:

Someone should tell the Chief from "Halo 2014" E3 2013's reveal to stop clutching Cortana's chip and get a Lumia instead. the story could thus be going somewhere, on time and to much wow.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
My mother has a 520 and that runs "fine", too. But why would I let her pay the same price for inferior hardware?
well it is two different operating systems, if Android on 1GB is faster than Windows Phone on 512, then sure why not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom