• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3 Update 3| Please be excited

Status
Not open for further replies.

DonMigs85

anyone encounter issues on their Lumia where the screen randomly stops responding? Eventually it starts to work again or you can make it work immediately if you put the phone to sleep then wake it up.

The Flash

Banned
The Windows Phone app for desktop will make moving my music over a lot easier. MS didn't make it very clear that the Windows 8 WP app doesn't sync from iTunes. Glad I got that mess worked out.

hwalker84

Quick poll:

1520 color? My 920 is red so I'm tending towards that.

I'm not sure if I want to be stuck with only 16GB if I can't use the SD card for apps in 8.1, so it may be black anyway.

Red is nightmare fuel on the 1520. Glossy and disgusting. Apps on SD Cards has been confirmed in 8.1

ElNino

Nokia mix radio gets buggy as heck once your mixes require a refresh.
Yeah, I've had that happen as well. Needed to delete my offline mixes and redo them.

The Play Me option seems to work well for me, although you obviously need a network connection for that.

I know it isn't coming until next week but...

QdWhVia.jpg

NeOak

You don't want to wait and see what 8.1 devices come out? It really shouldn't be that long.

Plus, you rocked the fucking Dell Venue Pro
unicorn
for a while right? I'm sure you can manage a little longer if you aren't completely sold on the 1520. If you are, I'd say red.

I miss the DVP's QWERTY keyboard. Rotation lock by hardware was so nice too.

I gave my Surface Pro 2 to my dad, so I have to rely on my 920 for web browsing when I'm out. My brother got the 1520 so after testing it, I'm sold on the phone factor since reading websites its more comfortable plus its faster.

And I got unlimited data, so I can abuse the LTE.

Herr K

Banned
anyone encounter issues on their Lumia where the screen randomly stops responding? Eventually it starts to work again or you can make it work immediately if you put the phone to sleep then wake it up.

Happens to me too. I also get some weird colors on the screen after I unlock the phone. Everything looks like the contrast (?) was cranked up.

maeh2k

Thought I would post this hear as well since it is pretty cool. Demo of interactive tiles in Windows 8.

http://microsoft-news.com/microsoft-research-working-on-interactive-live-tiles-on-windows-watch-the-video-demo-of-it/

Looks interesting, but there are some issues with that kind of interaction.
Being able to scroll down within a tile while the same action outside of it does something different isn't ideal. On Windows Phone e.g., it's not recommended to use those switch controls (to toggle between a value on the left and one on the right) on a panorama or pivot control.
Interacting with the tiles is also somewhat in conflict with actually opening the respective apps. They are more akin to regular widgets.
And interactions like scrolling down probably don't work well for non-touch devices.

On Windows they could remove the possibility of scrolling down to the app list and require the user to tap the arrow to get there. Then they'd free up vertical scrolling on the start screen (however, then you'd expect the vertical scrolling on a tile to select the tile like it worked on Windows 8 and like it still works in other parts of the OS).
Maybe they should limit the interaction to taps and realize those tiles as simple widgets that don't open the app like regular tiles.

maeh2k

Slightly off-topic, but have you guys heard how amazing Chromebooks are?

The Verge -- Dell Chromebook 11 review

An 8.0 seems pretty high for a $300 Chromebook. Especially when you go through the list of laptop reviews (see here) and see that only like a handful of Windows notebooks have ever managed to get scores between 8.0 and 8.4 and those all cost $1000+. I don't think I've seen anything higher (the high scores are reserved for Macbooks).
(fun fact: even the 2011 Macbook Air running Windows 7 only managed a 7.5)

stktt

Banned
To be fair, running Windows probably knocked a whole point off of the MacBook's review. I'm sure it was otherwise an excellent laptop.

Happens to me too. I also get some weird colors on the screen after I unlock the phone. Everything looks like the contrast (?) was cranked up.
yeah, like it became like 4 bit colour depth or something.
i also get a random glitch where a music track will sound horribly compressed, like a really low quality version.

NeOak

So WP8.1 only has support for up to Snapdragon 800/801 (which is the latest released atm)

http://www.fudzilla.com/home/item/34471-windows-phone-81-still-qualcomm-exclusive

Which means that whatever is coming next this year will likely be 801 powered, since the 810/808 are H1 2015 parts. (catching up to Galaxy S5, One M8 and Xperia Z2).

If there is a 1030, it will be either a 800 or 801. Unless Nokia pulls a Lumia 900 with the Snapdragon 805 (APQ SoC + separate radio chip)

So, that 1520/Icon/930 should last for a while as the top end device until next year in terms of performance. At least until next WP with support for ARMv8 and devices with 808/810.

DonMigs85

never on my 920 or 1020. What phones are you guys on?

It happens on my mom's 720, which is fully updated. Also tried disabling the super sensitive touch already. I'm hesitant to do a factory reset for now. Might wait to see if 8.1 actually fixes the bug. If not, the phone is still under warranty until September at least.

Herr K

Banned
It's not a big deal, honestly. It rarely happens. I'm on a Lumia 620.

By the way, do you guys also have some random touchscreen problems? Sometimes if I leave a tiny smudge/bit of sweat on the screen, it will act up like if I was pressing it on several sides. That had never happened to me on other phones. I tried deactivating the super sensitive thing, but the issue remains.

yeah it doesn't tell you. you need to create a application password in your security settings on your microsoft account and enter that.
Thanks, this sorted it. It's funny, I've done this many times before, but I'd become so used to using the authenticator that I virtually forgot about generating the app passwords.

Switched from Straight Talk to ATT and now getting 3 times the speed at my home. Of course, your personal results may vary but this has me excited. Internet Sharing is now enabled too.

53qjAgE.jpg

n64coder

I have the Lumia 620 and it seems that I cannot put the phone in vibrate mode. I press up or down on the volume icon to get the volume bar. I tap the bell but nothing happens. It used to work but no longer. I tried powering it off/on to no avail. So now I have to decrease the volume all the way to 0.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom