• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3 Update 3| Please be excited

Status
Not open for further replies.

n64coder

I have the Lumia 620 and it seems that I cannot put the phone in vibrate mode. I press up or down on the volume icon to get the volume bar. I tap the bell but nothing happens. It used to work but no longer. I tried powering it off/on to no avail. So now I have to decrease the volume all the way to 0.

I tried pulling the battery to no avail. It seems that the very upper part of the touch screen is no longer working. I brought up the bing search and can't enter anything in the box. But if I go to the windows screen and hit the very top of the top row of icons, it works fine. Odd.

Does it sound like a defective screen?

I can't recall ever dropping the phone. No visible cracks or anything. It's still under warranty.

is it confirmed for Monday cause MS usually releases updates on Tuesday

so what do you guys have as your ringtones? I have Guile's Theme for phone/alarm and Macho Man's "Yeah!" for texts.
Only Windows 8. Windows Phone updates tend to come out whenever they are ready.

I'm rocking default still, with my Ringer being the Nokia Remix song. Just something about those tones which are pleasing to the ears.

dLMN8R

Hmmmmmmm.

What kind of sim does the 920 take? Will it be getting the update?
The Frys site says "with 2 year contract though?

is it confirmed for Monday cause MS usually releases updates on Tuesday

so what do you guys have as your ringtones? I have Guile's Theme for phone/alarm and Macho Man's "Yeah!" for texts.
Patch Tuesday is only really a thing to control when reboots are needed, and for IT admins to have a predictable schedule. No need for phone updates to follow the same schedule

MarkusRJR

Holy shit. My area finally got LTE. It's only 2 bars but it's infinitely faster than before. I'm already scared at how much my data is going to shoot up.

Vyer

Patch Tuesday is only really a thing to control when reboots are needed, and for IT admins to have a predictable schedule. No need for phone updates to follow the same schedule

I think that's free with contract. Looking at their other phone listings it seems to be listed similarly.

Doesn't matter now though, couldn't make it out today and the only store near me that had any available is now showing out of stock....

hwalker84

Free with two year $99.99 without.

maeh2k

Check out that WP8.1 hands-on: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5naa1Cwgtc0
Saw it here: http://www.theverge.com/2014/4/12/5607308/facebook-8-1-app-spotted-on-lumia-930

I think the three-column layout looks really good there. They chose a horrible background image for the tiles 'above the fold', but below they only use medium size tiles and I think that looks pretty neat.
Screenshot_56.png

With the two-column layout the medium tiles take up quite a lot of space (since they dropped the gutter), so you can barely see eight medium size tiles on the screen. That can look really nice and clean, but because they take up so much space, I still use quite a lot of small tiles for apps. With three columns I'd probably just use medium size tiles.

no clue. But she's super low memory, so even if she is bashing the cloud I guess it has to be tiny packets.

mind you I have no idea what I am talking about.

Wouldn't Datasense show up stats for Cortana? or would that get rolled into System.

Saw it here: http://www.theverge.com/2014/4/12/5607308/facebook-8-1-app-spotted-on-lumia-930

I think the three-column layout looks really good there. They chose a horrible background image for the tiles 'above the fold', but below they only use medium size tiles and I think that looks pretty neat.

With the two-column layout the medium tiles take up quite a lot of space (since they dropped the gutter), so you can barely see eight medium size tiles on the screen. That can look really nice and clean, but because they take up so much space, I still use quite a lot of small tiles for apps. With three columns I'd probably just use medium size tiles.
Going all medium doesn't look all that bad to be honest. You'd also get the benefit of being able to have the custom live-tiles that apps set

Nero3000

24ish hours supposedly...

Lastflowers: I have a question for you. In a corporate environment, can a WP8.1 phone (with NFC) replicate an employee security pass to get through gates/doors etc?

My company keeps talking about the new building working like that with the new smartphones. This automatically rules out iPhones, so just wondering if WP was still in the picture.

Might as well get a Nokia X. At least it runs more apps than Windows Phone!

k1FLNLG.jpg

KageMaru

Surprised the 930 only has four quick setting buttons in the notification center. Figured it would have five like the 1520 due to the resolution.

PG2G

I was reading a lot of the tracking for reminders and what not (e.g. Flight status) for Cortana happens server side with push to the phone for updates.

Should be pretty light on battery and data as a result.

NeOak

Lastflowers: I have a question for you. In a corporate environment, can a WP8.1 phone (with NFC) replicate an employee security pass to get through gates/doors etc?

My company keeps talking about the new building working like that with the new smartphones. This automatically rules out iPhones, so just wondering if WP was still in the picture.

NFC is not exactly secure, you know...

And tried to order the 32GB 1520 off the AT&T website. The order never went through and now I'm not sure if I want that black one or just get the 16GB and a different color. Shit, why is the red 1520 so fugly unlike the 920?

theoretically yes. You could launch an app that would facilitate the passing of credentials using NFC.

Paganmoon

Just joined the "developer program" (yeah, going to make millions from apps now!), and instantly got an update available, got so excited, turns out, was just a minor one my carrier hadn't approved... :(

So what do you guys think, should we make a thread in OT once the Dev preview comes out to let people know that its out and how to get it? There has to be a few people on gaf with Windows Phones who don't follow this thread.

So what do you guys think, should we make a thread in OT once the Dev preview comes out to let people know that its out and how to get it? There has to be a few people on gaf with Windows Phones who don't follow this thread.

Brot's making the 8.1 OT I think, not sure what his plans are on timing and such.

frontieruk

Brot's making the 8.1 OT I think, not sure what his plans are on timing and such.

He'll time it for the official launch, as there will likely be new hardware along with the launch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom