• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2015 |OT| ZA WARUDO is not square!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nagi no Asukara - 01

Well to start things off, it looks really gorgeous! I like the rivalry between the two boys over drama queen, I can already tell it's going to get feisty.
So for future reference and for my own predicament, this is; best girl, worst drama queen, worst boy, and best boy, right?
The tension between land and sea people will be interesting to see how it's handled further down the road, and well.. the supernatural stuff as well. I hope this turns out good, because it's so pretty ;_;

Your Best Girl is wrong, the real Best Girl doesn't show up for a while.

Jex

/XX/'s criticisms of the AotY are well-founded, but that's also because he holds himself to a much higher standard than most of us do ourself. We are, let's be honest, filthy casuals. There are people in that thread voting for one show and one show only because that's "all they watched", and people voluntarily refraining from voting because "they haven't watched enough to form an opinion", despite having watched five or more shows.

As such, my intent for AotY thread wasn't necessarily only to rank shows, but to create a repository of quality shows for future reference. I personally don't have an eidetic memory when it comes to anime and manga, and these threads serve as a useful resource for me. The ranking merely helps in creating a "priority" list in case I ever had the need to put together a "watchlist" for someone else.

The ranking... helps create structure and context. If you just throw a list of shows at most people they're not going to respond very well. But if they see it's "highly ranked" according to AnimeGAF, they might be more inclined to check it out.

I think it really helps shows like Shin Sekai Yori and GuP.
The AOTY threads always serve as a helpful resource and will get people to check out shows they wouldn't otherwise here about. That's their most important role.

Yamato - 20

That was quite the sad ending to what seemed to be a great commander and a great man. What's worse is that his forced sacrifice in the end didn't do much.
The kidnapping of Yuki felt kinda weird. If this kidnap crew can attach itself onto Yamato and sneak on unnoticed, why not just do the same but with explosives to destroy it. It was overall a good episode, but I feel stating such with this show is kinda redundant by now.
YZYNNK2.jpg
SooT7C1.jpg

Shugo Chara 15-16

I guess this is more like the people with really strong Guardians appear to be the next victims arc. What with Nikaidou's real goal is being revealed to the main cast. I'm not sure if he's attempting to throw a curve ball, but it's weird with everything being tied down to one particular school.

Thankfully, the cast isn't exactly dumb, as they connected the dots after Amu told them what she noticed when they were going to the cabin in ep 15. Right now though, I'm honestly trying to figure out how Yaya even fits here. It's like she's there for the sake of having a third female character, but her role hasn't really been as established as Amu (the primary fighter), or Nadeshiko. She's probably the low point of the cast right now. But I guess it's not too extreme for her yet at least.

cajunator

Banned

RIP. too young. Cancer is a monster.

Well Shirobako episode 1-12 air event just set the new highest review record of niconico history
http://nikonikoranking.blog.fc2.com/blog-entry-11042.html

I didnt expect that but its well deserved!

excel_saga_by_lunaticbitch.jpg

I gotta to say, this show isn't my cup of tea as it's very too random for my taste. Still, it's still give me a smile watching it as they so many things pop in which I chuckle or like. I will say, this show is for someone who want something more in the randomness than story or plot as they isn't really one except the conquer the world. What you got is basically small side story which you follow in each episodes and also the minor story which you see in each episode like conquer the world and Pedro mission to get his wife back, and the team that suppose to stop ACROSS and other enemies to conquer the earth.

I never read the manga so I can't say if it follow the manga at all or not. Also, watch this on Eng dub which doesn't sound bad from what I listen. Now, I am going to stop watching anime for a week to cool down a bit but will go back watching to Mezzo Forte Series.

Excel Saga is WAY too frenetic to watch in one sitting. Absolutely exhausting and far too random like you said. Best taken in small doses. That said, it was quality comedy when I needed it and I will always remember the show fondly. It led to other insane comedy shows and was generally just a really great idea.

cajunator

Banned
I don't even know what these shows are!

Oh I bet you do!

If I were in the mood for some intelligent anime, what ought I too watch?

If you are ok with older stuff,
Haibane Renmei
Kinos Journey
Lain
Millennium Actress

if you want newer:
Tatami Galaxy
From the New world

Hyper Police Episode 1:

This is one of those legacy titles that I have been aware of for ages but I have never watched until now. SO far this holds quite a lot of promise, interesting world, relateable characters, subtle touches like have the cat girl act like a cat, yes a solid first outing all around. I will say I think some of the chracter designs clash with each other like Kondo and Benten fell like they were designed for completely different shows. Also, the comedy spots didn't make me wish for a quick and painless death which is also a plus.

If I were to criticize anything about Hyper Police its that there isnt more of it.
I actually drew gundam girls as catgirls for someone in exchange for VHS tapes of Hyper Police.

Get your butts ready for a new mofu mofu avatar!

SO READY.

Sabre wants revenge. He made avatar bet earlier that the browns would make the playoff with narag. He lost the bet and had to use a avatar that narag picked. Today the colts play the Patriots. Sabre is making the bet the Patriots will beat the Colts. Haly advised Sabre to take the bet!

It will be worth it to see the Patriots lose in the super bowl again.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Rolling Girls 2

It might've been the chorizo talking but I teared up a bit when Ma-chan was struggling to done the guise of Maccha Green. As motivations go, her reasons are pretty cliche, but it's done rather well here with Nozomi feeling patronized that she's being treated like a child, and demanding that she be allowed to worry for Ma-chan's sake at the very least. As people, there are things we do that, while seemingly noble or benign on the surface, can turn out to be a gentle cruelty.

There was an instance of this in Hyouka between Oreki and Satoshi, with Oreki not realizing that his "humility" was actually destroying Satoshi's self esteem. It's not something you see often in anime so I like its presence and execution here.

Despite there being a new Ikuhara anime, I think Rolling Girls might be the yuri show of the season.

What about Yuri Kuma, Kantai Collection, and Gourmet Girl Graffiti? :O

Yoru no Yatterman 02

I love the OP. In the ED, I'm going to assume (for now) those two are the real Yattermen. They kinda look like it.

Ok so the Yatterman kingdom does seem evil and tyrannical, but there has got to be a reason. I bet they have a really good reason for exiling Doronjo and her cronies and their ancestors too. It is kind of interesting to see the good guys be like this. Kind of reminds me of the Law routes in the Shin Megami Tensei series.

This show has a real good mix of old 70s cartoon goofiness and seriousness. Good contender for AOTS.

Is there any reason why the Pig is honorable from the original series? And those YATTER YATTER YATTER robots are kinda creepy.
I think we need an OT for this too.

Well I have one with Duckroll over Noragami having a season 2 or not.

Yeah it's not gonna end well is it.

How does that work? You'd never win or lose the bet if there was never a second season lol

/XX/

/XX/'s criticisms of the AotY are well-founded, but that's also because he holds himself to a much higher standard than most of us do ourself. We are, let's be honest, filthy casuals. There are people in that thread voting for one show and one show only because that's "all they watched", and people voluntarily refraining from voting because "they haven't watched enough to form an opinion", despite having watched five or more shows.
Man, wait... I wouldn't say I made criticisms as such, just exposed a personal view on the matter that before I wasn't even willing to share until asked about it.

I said I appreciate what the people want to say in a thread like that about their preferences, and such AOTY topics are to me like nice summaries to easy pinpoint what GAFfers I like have to say about their year's favourites. It is cool, and as Jexhius says the 'rec thread' aspect of it, to do it outside the community with a bigger exposure and consequently the effort of giving to non-habituals good presentations and advices is lovely to see as well!

And let's be honest here; I may appear in posts as very uptight and knowing just for the sake of presenting interesting information for everyone in the less veiled, less skewed, and the more comprehensible manner I can... but I assure you (and as some from here could attest as well, although those like Ultimadrago and Extollere that know it better ain't around this parts lately) that my standards can be pretty low at many, many occasions! >:-D

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
What about Yuri Kuma, Kantai Collection, and Gourmet Girl Graffiti? :O
Better than all of them.

COMBINED.
Man, wait... I wouldn't say I made criticisms as such, just exposed a personal view on the matter that before I wasn't even willing to share until asked about it.
Well blame Theonik for misrepresenting your viewpoint!

God do I love how there's different sets of art drawn by the author for each episode. This time we get CCG art and I just love how vibrant and colorful it is. Each Investigator with different light colors, so good. I really hope we get one for Aogiri, especially for Eto.😚

uOu8uMp.jpg

Why does he look so intimidating and threatening?

jgminto

Rolling Girls is yuri? I didn't see any lesbian relationships in the first ep other than that one girl maybe having a crush on her Best.

Shingeki no Bahamut : Genesis - 11

Episode 11 is nicely packed, Corrupted Jeanne fight was very well done, with everyone taking part in the fight. Jeanne did wreck amok a lot and honnestly that was a good part..
Shingeki%20no%20Bahamut%20-%20Genesis%20-%2011.jpg

Trully ... the BEST plan.
Azzazel & kaisar dialog was "intresting" considering the stakes and both prides clashing , but overall , it didn't felt that forced.
Michael appearance was a surprise but it reinforced several other aspect of the show , so it wasn't bad. Too bad you didn't think of working together with the humans before youwere destroyed, uh ?

Shingeki no Bahamut : Genesis - 12

For episode 12 , the finale , the "rage" of bahamut was indeed fun to watch ... it was a standard for such anime with everyone working together + luck i liked it .

Lol @belzebuth trying to control a beeing that neither satan nor the holy god could control , or restrain without paying with their lives ... seriously , did you think bahamut needed a remote controller or something ?
Shingeki%20no%20Bahamut%20-%20Genesis%20-%2012.jpg

Maybe after pourring water on the flammes ?
I won't talk much about the finale.. i enjoyed it , most characters did their work and it was satisfactory. Belz & martinet are dead or emprisonned and their end was as pathetic as i wanted in ep 10.

The reunion between favaro & mira was also superb.

Series impressions
Good cast , nice production values , a little rushed in pacing but enjoyable.
NIce music , not so bad Cg . A good fantasy anime that i can recommand without worries.

CAST
Favaro : Best adventurer .. cool dude , hanging by a threaad, having fun ...nothing to dislike. Remain loyal and doesn't hesitate sacrifice for those who matter to him .

Kaisar : Boring at first , he , however turned into a good Bro .The relationship with favaro did bring the show higher that it should.But that's a good thing

AMira : Good character that managed to stay consistent across the season , acting cute yet focused on her goal. i have so few thing to tell about her , but she wasn't a bad character.

Rita : Best character of the show no doubt . This cute ex-necromancer, full time zombie managed to keep the cast in place and saved the day multiples times. Her witty remarks were on point and there is few things to dislike. Great character that added a lot to the anime.

Azzazel : Arrogant and 300% asshole ... but considering his role , guess he did very well ..he did his job and so far so good.

Jeanne of Orleans : Good character that was dumbed down by her fate and origins ..too bad. Very good addition to the cast , but she could have been greater

Stupid king : go back ask your dead mother how to breathe , moron!!

ME!ME!ME!

Uh, wow. That was interesting. Cool music video, Teddyloid music was dope too. I liked that FPS section. Not sure what it was all about though.

Jex

IS A PERSON'S FATE RULED BY GOD OR CHANCE?

THAT IS THE ETERNAL MYSTERY THAT WINDS THROUGH THE ENDLESS CORRIDOR OF TIME.

BUT THE THING WHICH CHANGED CHIRICO'S DESTINY WAS SOMETHING KNOWN ONLY AS THE PROTOTYE.

THE TREMORS OF BATTLE RUNNING THROUGH THE DARKNESS OF LIDO ARE NOW REBORN IN THE CITY OF WOODO.

NEXT TIME, THE PROTOTYPE

FROM INSIDE A JIJIRIUM SHOWER A BEAUTIFUL WOMAN SMILES.

Most anime wishes it was as well written as VOTOMS previews.

cajunator

Banned
Anime of animegaf would sell 80k BDs per volume. Somebody just has to make it.

It would be supremely moe!

Stiens;Gate 24

And with that we have gone full circle. The loose ends have all been tied up, Kirisu's father gets his just desserts, and everything the characters have gone through has payed off.

Overall, a great ending to a great show. The story is complex and engaging, the characters are fun to watch, the dub is top notch and the music sets the mood of what the show is going for perfectly.

Overall, It's a show I'd definitely recommend. It's not perfect by any means but it's still pretty damn good watch.

Now to watch the OVA.

You see now what I meant by keeping note of the little details.
The show has one of the better endings Ive seen. Most shows dont end so tidily. the OVA is short but I loved it a lot.

Here's an avatar bet for all of AnimeGAF:

I bet you will still have bad taste and your favourite anime is still codswallop by the end of 2015.

Might as well take the punishment avatar now to save us some time.

That is such a british word

Shugo Chara 14

Oh hay we get a new character with a Shugo Chara
but with Sensei's recent actions, she might not be a full fledged one, as he managed to seal her Shugo Chara by sealing doubts in our new girl. Oh myyyy

DICKS

You should watch Nurse Angel Ririka SOS.

Seiken Tsukai no world break - 02

So let me get this straight :

-We're special , we're more powerfull than the special forces as students .

- Why aren't we acting , again ? because that hydra is too powerfull , even an anrmy can't do sh*t

-And then the MC arrived ,
load power # 2 and then destroyed it, ALONE.

So , as most unbalanced sh*t of 2015 , We have a pretty serious contender . It was obvious since last week , but 2 lives ! 1 as holy gardian knight totally Op you could slay dragon llike nothing and another live as badass magic enchanter that can blast any creature like paper ...

ok ...
So what should i expect as an ennemy , because i think we've established a lot of things .. and as on EP 2 , i dunno how to make you stronger , dude. You even have the sad backstory of "not being able to do anything" that becomes the ULTIMATE MOTIVATOR for deus ex machina/

??? a loli that is a walking mana kissing regenerator ? Ok ok ... i think i know what to expect of this show, now.

Himemiya

Space Battleship Yamato 2199 1-3

6LP61Wz.png

Watchbet with phoenix296

First thing that really stuck out that I liked was the brutal nature of the space battles. Wasn't expecting to see interior shots of lasers melting hallways, and shredding off wings, stabilizers and such. Nothing character-wise has made me care yet, but I do like the nostalgic sort of OP and next ep previews.

Lain

Death Parade 1

Interesting start. I'm not sure I understood the truth about the couple's story though. There is an image of a wife
in bed with another man
but given when and how Machiko said what she said, I just get the suspicion that she told a lie at the end just because she saw her husband change into such a... piece of shit compared to how he was in that rush of memories she has.

Yamato - 23

Nuh uh. I have problems with the direction this episode has taken.
You enter the enemy planet, and in so risking everything, and for some reason you successfully ram into the lords palace. Once again Yamato is the luckiest ship in the universe to not get shot down by guard fleets what so ever.
This is the homeworld of the Garmillians I'll remind you. The amount of stormtrooper level of accuracy and competence is starting to wear on me. Now, even when Yamato is stuck in this building, no one even attempts to destroy it? You want me to believe that this major empire who has conquered worlds cannot handle one ship?
Second of all;
Desler's sudden fucking wacko plan. He's going to sacrifice his capital to make this new one. Not to mention he openly sacrifices every living Garmillian in said capital, with their knowledge of his action.
Does he not think this is going to haunt him, you know maybe come back to bite him in the ass in a major way? Well fuck that because 'muh Iscandar'.
I had high hopes for (what seemed to be) this coolheaded and devious villain, but this turned out so bad.
I might have missed some vital logical point behind these actions, and if so could someone please tell me what the fuck just happened? Or am I expecting too much from this show?

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
If I were to criticize anything about Hyper Police its that there isnt more of it.
I actually drew gundam girls as catgirls for someone in exchange for VHS tapes of Hyper Police.

Well, there is a whole mess of it in manga form, also your standards are different then most people.

Shugo Chara 17-18

Well that little arc ended, with some more faking out.

Now then, a date episode, in where a little girl disrupts their relationship, and Ikuto continues to be the ikeman badboy. She's going to want two boys at this point of time. Or Ikuto because Amu lost to a little girl for Tadase's affections.

I mean fuck.

Cross Ange 15

So the all this time the DRAGONs were
Humans that turned into dragons using genetic modification (although magic would be just as appropriate) to clean up their planet and the only reason they are attacking the other Earth is to save their God that was kidnapped by that one dude that gave people magic powers
That was quite the Russo swerve if I ever saw one.

Also can Tusk just fuck off already. Everytime he's on screen with Ange it devolves into Harem protagonist bullshit that got old the second time it happened.

Rolling Girls - 1 and 2

As colorful as this is, I am not really feeling this.

When is there going to a lesbian amine couple or two close female friends that are on equal terms with each other? Between this and Yuri Kuma there always seems to one protecting the other from harm.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
With all this AotY talk I realised I hadn't even posted my vote yet. Chucked something together so at least I have something.

Looking over lists of 2015 shows I realise I missed a lot. Oh well who cares, most of my votes never make it into the top ten anyway.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Rolling Girls - 1 and 2

As colorful as this is, I am not really feeling this.

When is there going to a lesbian amine couple or two close female friends that are on equal terms with each other? Between this and Yuri Kuma there always seems to one protecting the other from harm.

I'd suggest watching Re: Cutie Honey if you haven't seen it yet. Sakura Trick as well.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Rolling Girls 2
Blue Hearts song still rock.
I don't see any downgrade here, the animation is still amazing. ALL THAT COLOR!
The Rest: Oh, we're used to getting blown away.
Holy crap, you mean thrown a hundred meter is usual occurance, and they're the mob!? They survive fall from roller coaster!
Yeah, this one is great original anime. I hope studio WIT can keep up with the quality.
So much fun in this show.

John Blade

Excel Saga is WAY too frenetic to watch in one sitting. Absolutely exhausting and far too random like you said. Best taken in small doses. That said, it was quality comedy when I needed it and I will always remember the show fondly. It led to other insane comedy shows and was generally just a really great idea.

You're right. If I watch the show and spread it for over 3 weeks than 3 days, I think I will like the show much more. The comedy is decent for what it's spewing out. Also, reading other people opinion, the Eng dub is the way to go than the Jap dub. Kinda odd but can understand from what I watch. As of now, watching Mezzo Forte and almost done the show.

Might post a quick impression of it soon.

TUSR

Banned
Rolling Girls 2
Blue Hearts song still rock.
I don't see any downgrade here, the animation is still amazing. ALL THAT COLOR!
The Rest: Oh, we're used to getting blown away.
Holy crap, you mean thrown a hundred meter is usual occurance, and they're the mob!? They survive fall from roller coaster!
Yeah, this one is great original anime. I hope studio WIT can keep up with the quality.
So much fun in this show.

yeah im not sure why there were comments about E2 being a significant drop in quality

I thought they were both fantastic. I thought Rolling Girls was originally a manga?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom