• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT| Celebrating the New Year and PSO2's release in the west!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cornbread78

What do you see in Asuna? Lisbest is so much better.

I cant wait for Eugeo to be animated, so we can finally not see such posts anymore.

sword-art-online-ep-7-6.jpg

I put her tied up with Sinon, but with one of my favorite images from the series. Well, maybe an edge to Sinon as #2.

What is this Eugeo you speak of?

pbayne

Speaking of Pokémon; what happened at the end of the first movie again? I can't remember.

Ash gets shot by Mew and Mewtwo and for some reason turns to stone instead of dieing.

Then crying something something oh fightings wrong despite this franchise built around two animals fighting something something friendship prevails. The end.

Aki-at

Shirobako 12
Probably my favourite episode so far and a nice way to wrap up the first half of the series. Even though I thought it would end up
Sugie being more important to the production than first let on
it was still great to see it come together in the end. Thoroughly loved the first part of this series and if it continues it might sit with Monster and Shirokuma Cafe as one of my favourite shows.

EDIT: Oh yeah I forgot, nice touch to change the outcome between Mimuji and Roro at the end credits!

EDIT 2: I forgot to mention, wasn't that scene they wanted all hand drawn figures actually animated using CGI? :p

John Blade

The Vision of Escaflowne - 1
2D Mecha and fantasy. Truly the best kind of combination in anime.

Hope you like the show as it's one of my guilty show I like even with it's own flaw. Also, hope you like the music. Still one of my favorite OST I go back listen to.

It's next after I finish Kare Kano, Emma and Planetes

Do hope you like Kare Kano but it's better if you just read the manga over the anime as they is too many filler in the series and it stop part way while the manga continue the story. Also, surprise you're not done Emma. She isn't happy you know.

As for me, I am still wondering if I should watch Clannad franchise next month or just go all out and watch hen tie and do impression about it for the story and plot than the hen tie part.
0zjwyrM.jpg

John Blade

Well...I will try to watch Clannad's but only when I am done my other show I am trying to get done (mostly Sakura Taisen franchise which I am going though, 009-1 and New Dominion Tank Police).

Garo the Animation 13

The new OP is a distinct downgrade. I can't fault Choi's work on it much - it's got its own sense of style and clearly had considerable effort put into it - but Niho's OP just set the bar too high. Going from a feast of colors to just black, white, and gold is a big downgrade, the more abstract forms aren't as interesting to look at as the morphing characters, and there doesn't seem to be the same sense of storytelling. The first OP told a condensed version of the story of the series, and the second OP doesn't seem to attempt anything like that. The song is worse as well.

The show proper is as good as ever, of course. I appreciate that the show is giving the proper time to the fallout of last episode's events, showing how they can't be easily recovered from but how people are working to move forwards nonetheless. There was a lot of verbal storytelling, particularly on Leon's side of the story, without need for excessive words. I liked how everything kept returning to the rhythms of daily life, in the city but especially on the farm, the nature of which encourages the focus on simple hard labor. It's something new for the series, but it's not out of place either. The tone is modulated in just the right ways.

Of course Mendoza's assistant is still lurking about the castle, with no one else the wiser as to her role in everything. I hope she gets hers in the end.

duckroll

Garo the Animation 13

The new OP is a distinct downgrade. I can't fault Choi's work on it much - it's got its own sense of style and clearly had considerable effort put into it - but Niho's OP just set the bar too high. Going from a feast of colors to just black, white, and gold is a big downgrade, the more abstract forms aren't as interesting to look at as the morphing characters, and there doesn't seem to be the same sense of storytelling. The first OP told a condensed version of the story of the series, and the second OP doesn't seem to attempt anything like that. The song is worse as well.

Yeah I don't dislike the new animation so much as the fact that it doesn't really care to "say" anything. It's just a long sequence of the Garo armor being formed, with some nice artistic touches here and there, but compared to the first OP it is super unambitious. Both the new OP and ED blow too in terms of songs. I didn't think the ED song could get worse, but damn was I wrong. :(

The show proper is as good as ever, of course. I appreciate that the show is giving the proper time to the fallout of last episode's events, showing how they can't be easily recovered from but how people are working to move forwards nonetheless. There was a lot of verbal storytelling, particularly on Leon's side of the story, without need for excessive words. I liked how everything kept returning to the rhythms of daily life, in the city but especially on the farm, the nature of which encourages the focus on simple hard labor. It's something new for the series, but it's not out of place either. The tone is modulated in just the right ways.

I really appreciate the show's intent to show rather than tell. We don't need Leon declaring that everyone around him seems so hardworking, because we can see them doing it. This sort of clean break for a protagonist is very pleasant for pacing when done well, similar to the short arc in Wolf's Rain after the mid-series climax.

Crocodile

I'm watching All in with Chris Hayes and in discussing the fallout of the Palin endorsement of Trump, Rick Wilson (Republican Media Strategist) just called the "alt-right" (those who are likely to support Trump/Tea-Partiers) "single white men who masturbate to anime".

ayyyyyyy lmao
Carry on with your day :p

ibyea

Banned
I'm watching All in with Chris Hayes and in discussing the fallout of the Palin endorsement of Trump, Rick Wilson (Republican Media Strategist) just called the "alt-right" (those who are likely to support Trump/Tea-Partiers) "single white men who masturbate to anime".

ayyyyyyy lmao
Carry on with your day :p

oh wow, lol

Yeah I don't dislike the new animation so much as the fact that it doesn't really care to "say" anything. It's just a long sequence of the Garo armor being formed, with some nice artistic touches here and there, but compared to the first OP it is super unambitious. Both the new OP and ED blow too in terms of songs. I didn't think the ED song could get worse, but damn was I wrong. :(

When I heard the discordant opening strains of the ED song, my first thought was "Duckroll's not going to be happy."

I really appreciate the show's intent to show rather than tell. We don't need Leon declaring that everyone around him seems so hardworking, because we can see them doing it. This sort of clean break for a protagonist is very pleasant for pacing when done well, similar to the short arc in Wolf's Rain after the mid-series climax.

A clean break like this is just about the only way to continue growing and developing a character after a major existential crisis of the sort we saw in episode 12. At least, if you want the development to feel organic instead of forced by the necessities of the plot.

ibyea

Banned
Speaking of the pokemon anime, recently I watched the gym matches for the Kalos region, and man the pokemon battles are really good. Also wow is Ash competent now.

Yu Yu Hakusho - 58

This was a slaughter! While I would've liked something more... fair in terms of the combat, the great visual spectacle more than enough made up for it. Just the charging Kokurya-ha alone would've been enough!

Apparently some people didn't get the memo, but if a show has a tiny petite girl who fights with a huge scythe, that girl is automatically best character.
tumblr_noeeprCAU81tjrgk5o1_500.gif

I would argue with you, but I can't think of any counter-arguments. Though if you did a crossover of that show and Date-A-Live, Kurumi would murder her and steal the title of best girl while laughing maniacally.

There was an OVA. A really shit one.

NtK is legit though. If 50 shades can be popular then NtK's depiction of S&M can get made

That reminds me that I checked out one S&M manga after finishing Prison School in search of similarly exhilarating mangas with focus on some sexual content.

What#s the full name of NtK? Because while I can't remember what it was called, the one I checked out was, unlike suggested from some places, terrible. I don't know much about S&M but I do know that you have your save words and only do what you agreed to previously and...well, the guy in the manga I read just forced it upon the girl most of the time. Of course, it then turned into this "I guess I kinda liked it so it's okay that I got sexually assaulted by you"...

50 shades got that wrong, too, from what I've heard, so you may still be talking about the same manga.

That reminds me that I checked out one S&M manga after finishing Prison School in search of similarly exhilarating mangas with focus on some sexual content.

What#s the full name of NtK? Because while I can't remember what it was called, the one I checked out was, unlike suggested from some places, terrible. I don't know much about S&M but I do know that you have your save words and only do what you agreed to previously and...well, the guy in the manga I read just forced it upon the girl most of the time. Of course, it then turned into this "I guess I kinda liked it so it's okay that I got sexually assaulted by you"...

50 shades got that wrong, too, from what I've heard, so you may still be talking about the same manga.

Did you read Nana to Kaoru: Black Label? That's a spinoff that is after the main series. NtK and Prison School aren't really all that alike.

e_i

Love Live The movie

That's a SHITLOAD of school idols. Also, Rin randomly bursting into song had me on the floor. She really is best girl. The third year's song was fucking hilarious as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom