• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT| Celebrating the New Year and PSO2's release in the west!

Status
Not open for further replies.

wonzo

Banned
dagashi kashi 3
dagashikashi3.jpg
dagashikashi3a.jpg

turning out way better than expected tbh

Garo the Animation 17

I was going to say that this was the perfect thing to lift my spirits after the misfire of 16, with the direction and animation being top-notch again. But then that back half happened, and oof. What a punch to the gut. Maybe one or two of the episodic stories have faltered, but when this series wants to drive home something important, it really drives it home. This episode really showcased the dual strength of the writing and direction in the show. When the writing takes the forefront, it does so in a manner that treats the characters responsibly - not as toys to throw around for the sake of drama, but as people with their own personalities and understandable motives. Leon and Alfonso's meeting was excellent for how the characters maturely acknowledged their past, present, and future. Then the writing also knows when to take a backseat and let the audiovisual direction take over, and the very end
when Leon and Alfonso are grieving over their failure
was so powerful. Just the way
Leon crumbled in agony upon seeing the burnt figures of the family was strong in itself, a depiction of overwhelming sorrow that didn't even rely on cliched anime depictions
. So awful, but so good.

The 16th episode of Garo was outsourced, so it looked pretty bad.

But I liked it because it had doctor Horror that healed people, before killing them.

That's so dumb. It's great.

duckroll

Yes! It was hilarious! And I honestly don't think it looked awful. All these eps are outsourced now anyway. 16 is certainly not as ugly as some of the early outsourced eps...

Come on, 16 wasn't that bad...

Sorry, but it was.

This is the sure sign of a storyboard that's just flinging stuff around at random without any thought. Dutch angles, fisheye lens - if those techniques are thrown around without any meaning behind them, the person doing it really doesn't have any idea how to actually make the material visually interesting. And what was with all those fades to black? It really cut up the episode and made it feel very disjointed. Plus the character art and animation was mediocre at best.

But it's OK, because that should be the end of the badness!

The 16th episode of Garo was outsourced, so it looked pretty bad.

But I liked it because it had doctor Horror that healed people, before killing them.

That's so dumb. It's great.

It was a silly concept, but episode 8 was much better at being a silly German episode.

Yes! It was hilarious! And I honestly don't think it looked awful. All these eps are outsourced now anyway. 16 is certainly not as ugly as some of the early outsourced eps...

Yeah, there's only 2 or 3 episodes in the entire series that are done in-house at Mappa. I think 16 is the first episode outsourced to UEC though; most of the episodes are outsourced to DR MOVIE.

duckroll

Oh. If you really dislike Mihara's errr unique storyboarding style.... there are a few more near the end... but with much better art. Lol.

I don't mind that much. Even with the ep of Terror near the finale, Mihara does "disjointed" pretty well I think. Or maybe it's stockholm syndrome...

I saw some clips of Blood C and oh boy.....

The fuck is up with a bunny blending humans. Is this series supposed to be some comical dark edgy humor?

duckroll

I saw some clips of Blood C and oh boy.....

The fuck is up with a bunny blending humans. Is this series supposed to be some comical dark edgy humor?

The TV series is a black comedy masquerading (at least initially) as a straight laced action drama show. It's great and as long as it clicks, the finale will have you laughing so hard you can't stand after that.

The movie is a totally serious dark edgy thriller trying to make an EPIC climax it doesn't deserve. Garbage.

jonjonaug

Dagashi 3 - So I started watching dagashi thinking this would be a love triangle, but Hotaru x Saya feels like the main pairing. I'm ok with this.

Oh. If you really dislike Mihara's errr unique storyboarding style.... there are a few more near the end... but with much better art. Lol.

I don't mind that much. Even with the ep of Terror near the finale, Mihara does "disjointed" pretty well I think. Or maybe it's stockholm syndrome...

I think Yamauchi does disjointed better. At least with Yamauchi there's some crazy cool style to latch onto!

Again, I'll say I'm disappointed Yamauchi didn't storyboard Garo 7.

tuffy

Dagashi Kashi is basically a candy trivia delivery vehicle with some light comedy, so I'm not expecting it to hit the romance angle very hard.

Jintor

utena 12

yessss delicious melodrama GIVE IT TO ME

awww yeah i should start a girl getting slapped counter

man i still dunno what's going on here but it's pretty good

Garo the Animation 18

Yeah, the animation is fabulous, but what makes it so fabulous is not just the visual spectacle in itself but also how it's used as a thrilling release of the pent-up tension in Leon's character, a marker of the growth he's experienced since episode 12. My favorite part was not the duel or even the Horror fight towards the end, but how
Leon's dark side was depicted. It was really satisfying to see him cut those flames off.
I am really curious to find out what that shady Watchdog is up to now...

duckroll

My favorite scenes in terms of direction for ep18 was actually the Germain scenes. Him and Ximena have an interesting relationship and seeing that play out was really satisfying. I also have a thing for close up shots of hands grabbing fabric. There's something nice and sensual about the entire scene which isn't very common in the series.

godisntheradio

Neo Member
dagashi kashi 3

this episode put me in such a good mood, both the "oh its so hot in here and ac broke" and the pool scenes went better than expected, Hotaru interactions with tou and saya were nice to watch, especially because i thought i would quickly become bored of the candy stuff, this makes me happy

My favorite scenes in terms of direction for ep18 was actually the Germain scenes. Him and Ximena have an interesting relationship and seeing that play out was really satisfying. I also have a thing for close up shots of hands grabbing fabric. There's something nice and sensual about the entire scene which isn't very common in the series.

Yes, those scenes were good to see. German usually has such a playboy persona - even in his last scene with Leon and Alfonso you can see he's adopting a carefree attitude to mask his true feelings - so I appreciate seeing him behave in an emotionally sincere fashion.

Narag

Hackadoll 1-13 FIN

Great show with an amazing amount of energy and humor. It's like Muromi-san without the overreliance on tit/pedo jokes or Robot Girls Z without being largely constrained to Go Nagai referential humor so creativity is in full force.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Those weren't hearts. They were parasitic worms living underneath their corneas.

ibyea

Banned
Persona 3 The Movie: Midsummer Knight's Dream
It looks beautiful. Too bad it''s a whole lot of meh. This movie was surprisingly boring. Granted, I have always thought the story of Persona 3 was amazingly paper thin, with the social links being the game's saving grace in terms of story.

Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron Blooded Orphans - 1
So far I don't have much thought on it. The battle in the second half was entertaining I guess.

Kalentan

Hey guys, so I thought to ask here... Should I catch up on GATE? I was turned off by the weirdly anti-western vibes the show was giving off (and some acts of almost historical rivisionism, although that maybe only in the manga.)

Does it get better or does that only become more noticeable?

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Hey guys, so I thought to ask here... Should I catch up on GATE? I was turned off by the weirdly anti-western vibes the show was giving off (and some acts of almost historical rivisionism, although that maybe only in the manga.)

Does it get better or does that only become more noticeable?
this elf girl's dad died last season. now the main character is pretending to be her dad to entertain her delusions that he's still alive. also she bonds with her father by sleeping with him while naked. i hope this helps your decision.

ibyea

Banned
this elf girl's dad died last season. now the main character is pretending to be her dad to entertain her delusions that he's still alive. also she bonds with her father by sleeping with him while naked. i hope this helps your decision.

No way I read that right.
*wipes off glasses*
o_O

Doesn't the second season of Gate start out with literally all of the soldiers in the JSDF resisting the urge to bang fantasy girls? Because they're just that goddamn resilient to the charms of bunny girls?

I don't care what you say plot wise Gate. Some of those solders got with fantasy chicks.

TUSR

Banned
Doesn't the second season of Gate start out with literally all of the soldiers in the JSDF resisting the urge to bang fantasy girls? Because they're just that goddamn resilient to the charms of bunny girls?

I don't care what you say plot wise Gate. Some of those solders got with fantasy chicks.

iirc someone gets raped early on in the episode?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom