• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT| Celebrating the New Year and PSO2's release in the west!

Status
Not open for further replies.

duckroll

Rakugo Gungrave - Episode 3

The approach to character development in this flashback is interesting because one thing I've noticed about stories which want to portray certain subjects is that if a character is supposed to be really good at the subject and really likes it, that is the character's defining trait and it is accepted as it is. Seeing a story about a rakugo master who didn't always love rakugo but was sort of forced into it and grew to like it more is much more believable. I also felt the episode handled the passage of time really well, showing how people can be affected by things beyond their control, and it's always nice to see how war has an impact on common people in various walks of life who aren't directed affected by the actual conflict or fighting. That was also something I liked about Giovanni's Island.

blurr

Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu 03

Loved every frame and second of this episode. Really well narrated and paced. I was very moved at one point
(when they returned from the war)

wonzo

Banned
Her underlings are also literal pig people. To keep them in line she rewards their success by letting them lick her legs.

shinjichair-b72.gif

Kalentan

this elf girl's dad died last season. now the main character is pretending to be her dad to entertain her delusions that he's still alive. also she bonds with her father by sleeping with him while naked. i hope this helps your decision.

Not really, sorry.

GATE is a well written story about patriotism, and definitely does not push an uncomfortable narrative about Japanese superiority.

Eh... It really does though. Unless your being sarcastic.

Chindogg

GATE's fun for what it is. Once you start thinking about the motivations behind the author you stop having fun.

That's why I'm just rooting for the otaku Itami to survive his ordeal rather than consider this is all some guy's fantasy about Japan's military being a superpower.

Eh... It really does though. Unless your being sarcastic.

Oh I was being sarcastic. I don't see how anyone could say GATE isn't at least a bit xenophobic.

Snow White Episode 7
snow-white-with-the-red-hair-episode-7.png

Okay, so the older brother isn't a huge villain. He just thinks Zen is wasting time when he should be focusing on other matters.

This show has a weird power dynamic, where Zen is portrayed as almost a bit wimpy in comparison to Shirayuki. Where she seems naturally confident, he needs to rely on others.

Also I'm sad to see Raji leave. That dude is comedy gold.

I see Hellwarden is watching [C] algain. Lololol.

It's fine! No one reads my posts, so no one noticed!

Erased - 3

Enjoying this far more than I thought I would. I wonder if the whole season will really be taking place
Back in 88. I would like to see them go back and forth a bit more though.

Other than that, really enjoying this series, the episodes absolutely fly by.

Now I need something different to watch. Gate is pretty good? From the description on Crunchy, sounds like another Zany fun premise.

You guys should know by now.

I'm lazy.
And kpopstarz is clearly a high quality site.

Also talking about GATE's xenophobia reminded me, for some reason, of Dan Eagleman from Guilty Crown.
america.jpg

The best character in Guilty Crown.

Line_HTX

I liked The Money of Soul and Possiblity Control. If only it was 13 eps instead of 11 though, as it started to crunch really hard at the end.

Terror in Resonance 8

Meh. Weakest episode so far. And Five continues to with the bitch-assness.

Terror in Resonance 9

Jesus Christ, I seriously hate Five. So damn annoying.
Glad Lisa is alright though. Poor girl doesn't deserve any of this.

phaze

I saw some clips of Blood C and oh boy.....

The fuck is up with a bunny blending humans. Is this series supposed to be some comical dark edgy humor?

Almost Mirai Nikki tier.

Above it when it comes to the hilarious bloodshed.

Noein 24 END

As if NGE and Naruto wasn't proof enough
that sticking to only one waifu
will ruin your
laifu.

Dagashi Kashi Episode 3

I feel like that was a pretty good episode. An improvement over the first two.

Not sure what I feel about the finished ending though...

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Owarimonogatari Episode 7:

It must have been hell to keep track of where the personality of everybody was given that Owari here has jumped all over the timeline and indeed here is the missing concurrent arc from Nekomonogtari White. Anyway. what I am getting at is watching this Kanbaru after Hanamonogatari is almost looking like at a different person as her perversion levels were really scaled back by the time of that arc.

Just T

Erased: 3

Still going great. I thought at first Satoru was worried about if winning the race would mess up time but seems the reason for that lies deeper and maybe plays in to the whole being ”fake” bit.

Kayo’s parents truly are horrible, the abuse scene was really sad, and then forced to spew out that lie. Satoru may have the willpower but that scene showed just how powerless he was being back in that body, just shoved aside. Then the accusation in the classroom was some shit she didn’t need, glad Satoru stepped up for her and like the teacher said she was one of the helpers so it wouldn’t have been weird anyway. Class was still cruel though.

Luckily the last portion was very sweet to wash out that bitter taste. It was nice to see her genuinely smile and just have a nice time with someone. Satoru got something out of it too since he wasn’t alone this time. Watching them become friends is really heartwarming. Hopefully she can be saved from her tragic situation.

Now, for that foreboding last scene, I’m not sure what to make of it. I don’t trust Kenya or the teacher. Kenya because he seems a bit too aware and the teacher with the stares and being cloaked in the shadow, that all could be a red herring though. He does seem to want to help Kayo though, was a bit surprised they’ve been suspicious since May, that’s a long time. Will just have to wait and see what their intentions are.

Haruchika: 3

This was better than the second episode, nonetheless, still being dropped.

Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu 03

I wonder if the girl from the romance scene comes back at some point. If I remember correctly Yakumo was single in episode one so I'm not really sure if it's actually going to happen.

The whole scene seems like an odd inclusion to me right now, maybe I'm missing something but was there really a point to it?

Erased 03

Another great episode, if they keep this going it will probably be a very strong example of a serious anime.

Persona 3 The Movie: Midsummer Knight's Dream
Granted, I have always thought the story of Persona 3 was amazingly paper thin, with the social links being the game's saving grace in terms of story.

Your words wound me. P3 is the best persona story and top in jrpgs (DeSu2, P3, GoldenSun 1-2). Unless one dislikes dark emotionally moving well paced stories, I see no way that p3 is paper thin.

Kenji Tomochika best social link though.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Pandora in the Crimson Shell is this season's Valkyrie Drive: Mermaid; a show everyone is obviously watching but won't admit to by avoiding posting episodic reviews.

Defuser

Kono Suba ep 1 & 2

DEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEN!!!!!!! First episode in and your animation is atrocious as usual.

This show is actually.....good. I always like this kind comedy game fantasy genre better than serious types. MC maybe a neet but poor guy have to constantly deal with utterly useless idiots like Aqua.

Just T

Phantom World: 3

Entertaining episode, nice short burst of action. It was funny how fast Haruhiko got tired. Also finding Reina annoying just a little bit.

Osomatsu-san: 15

Not their best episode, but had a lot of funny faces in it and the flower segment was pretty good.

KonoSuba: 3

Still really humorous. I like Megumin, the bit with her eye patch was funny. She has some impressive magic too, looked cool but yet she still is useless for the most part lol. Wonder what kind of personality Darkness will have, Kazuma already has his hands full with just the other two. The ED is great too, charming.

duckroll

Gundam Build Fighters Try director Shinya Watada is storyboarding and directing episode 4 of Erased. Maybe there'll be giant robots in this episode. Or maybe they'll go to their secret base and build some gunpla. What sort of gunpla were popular in 1988 anyway?

Perfect Insider 4

I really am watching Lolita
With Multiple Personalities

But I'm hooked now. This episode was the best so far at developing atmosphere and intrigue. Kenji Kawai's music here is the best he's done since 009 Re:Cyborg.

Edit: Oh, this was Atsushi Takahashi's storyboard. It makes sense that it was as good as it was then. Hopefully it's not a fluke.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom