• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT| Celebrating the New Year and PSO2's release in the west!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JulianImp

I would put it in okay myself, no way it's worse that Active shit.

Well, I only watched the first ep of AR so far. Maybe Bubuki gets better, but it still doesn't look any good (not really bottom tier, but still bad). Either way, they're both shows I'll probably end up dropping after giving them the period of grace I give most shows I begin to watch.

Edit:
After the above litany of gripes, I'll just say that I'm still enjoying the show for the most part. The comedy in particular is pretty good and even its duds are inoffensive. Not that I've watched many romantic comedies but the angle of an already functioning couple is still pretty refreshing. Let's hope that Tatami Galaxy's "There is nothing more boring than a successful love story" won't ring true here. And there won't be any silly drama to spice things up at the same time. I feared that the grades thing will go that path but that was thankfully avoided. (Having an intervention and your parents called just because your grades fell a tiny bit ? Japanese schools are a fucking hell itself.)

It's funny that both of us kind of only point out bad things about KareKano, and yet we both say we still like it in the end. Seeing a story about a functional but still fledging relationship is indeed rare, but something that scares me is that, like you said, there're basically only two relevant characters in the show so far, with the rest only coming in to talk for a couple minutes at best and make either of them come to some realization that can better their relationship. Also, it was really weird when I saw several scenes where the girl would meet the casanova friend guy, they'd talk, she'd leave and then we'd be subject to a conversation between Arima and him that was 90% the same both dialog and animation-wise.

This reminds me that I still need to finish Trapeze.

Trapeze is in my top 5 anime of all-time. There is nothing like it. Almost nothing as uplifting and special to me. It's message and treatment of mental illness and health is beautiful and astonishing from Japan. It's also good looking and abstractly creative to boot

Amazing wonderful show

No. It's not.
latest

Because they sat his food outside as he lived in some shack attached to their property since he wasn't as gifted as his brother.

Why did I ask...

Exalted

This thread at times feels just like all those GOTY threads, meaning it is a total clusterfuck. So many people with so different tastes, and everybody trying to bolster their choices and tastes.
It's completely different compared to all the TV show threads here on gaf , where it's far more civil and pleasant, but that's due to them all being separated, and people with really different tastes don't interact .

And add to that all the manga and novel readers, which just can't help to spoil everything or post hints. It's like those Game of Thrones book readers in the TV only show, but you can't escape it since 90% of the season is an adaptation of something.
A really unique experience, to which i keep coming back...

In short anime suck :p

Seeing people watch Toradora makes me sad, it is the quintessential over-rated romance anime. Your romance story loses 99% of its favor with me if your idea of a couple involves your typical violent tsundere trope with a HEAVY emphasis on violent.

I don't think this means anything other than you don't like Tsunderes. Toradora has something that most romance anime completely disregard - more than two truly meaningful characters. I can tell you all about any of the characters in Toradora - their lifestyle, personality, how many friends they have, their interests. Every character in Toradora is developed well - even some of the side characters have more personality than MCs from other anime. That's all a romance needs is character and relationship development. At the end of the day, that's the bread and butter.

phaze

The Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu OP sequence finally showed up, and it's not all at the sort of thing I was expecting. It's storyboarded and directed by Tokuyuki Matsutake, and it's reminiscent of the OPs he did for R.O.D. TV, particularly in having really stylish cards for the credits themselves. I'm not sure how I feel about the sequence overall, but it's certainly not generic.

Are we sure this isn't just the OP for flashback part ? Haven't watched the episode itself but the OP seems completely and deliberately focused on the past.

Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju Episode 3
CZWpRI-WcAA8PEa.png
CZWpRFIXEAAZzrS.png

Felt like a slower episode but it had one of the best parts in the whole anime thus far.
and then he still remember their hand holding even when he got alone after being separated, really sweet

Ending moments made me tear up. So good.

This thread at times feels just like all those GOTY threads, meaning it is a total clusterfuck. So many people with so different tastes, and everybody trying to bolster their choices and tastes.
It's completely different compared to all the TV show threads here on gaf , where it's far more civil and pleasant, but that's due to them all being separated, and people with really different tastes don't interact .

And add to that all the manga and novel readers, which just can't help to spoil everything or post hints. It's like those Game of Thrones book readers in the TV only show, but you can't escape it since 90% of the season is an adaptation of something.
A really unique experience, to which i keep coming back...

In short anime suck :p

So which favorite show of yours got trashed and made you bitter?

And I'm not even sure what thread you reading with all of these source material spoilers because it isn't this one. Show specific threads are a hundred times worse when it comes to that.

JulianImp

I don't think this means anything other than you don't like Tsunderes. Toradora has something that most romance anime completely disregard - more than two truly meaningful characters. I can tell you all about any of the characters in Toradora - their lifestyle, personality, how many friends they have, their interests. Every character in Toradora is developed well - even some of the side characters have more personality than MCs from other anime. That's all a romance needs is character and relationship development. At the end of the day, that's the bread and butter.

Yeah, that was a pleasant surprise I got from watching Toradora. Seeing more characters beside the main couple getting developed was really interesting.

I can't say I like tsunderes either since most of them often get little to no character development and keep doing their stupid act the whole time, but I think Taiga managed to be a decent character by the end.
Senjougahara's still the "best" yantsundere-style character I remember from anime I've watched so far, though.

While ERASED may not portray child abuse in a very elegant manner (so far anyway.), it's fucking light years ahead of Divine Gate.

Divine Gate is such a bad show it makes me appreciate quality stuff more.

Define abstract.

Both S2 and S3 had these episodes where they'd go completely bonkers.

Zoku, Zan, + Goku.

I got the impression your favourable impression of it gradually lessened but I'm glad to be wrong. Truly a great show and even holds very well on the rewatches.

This reminds me that I still need to finish Trapeze.

fuck if I remember which one in particular I just remember one season in particular dropped most of the plotlines from the source and previous seasons and opted for some weird stories and comedy alongside the more strange presentation. I'd have to rewatch it to tell you which season it was that I swore off, it has been a while haha.

KazenY2J

While ERASED may not portray child abuse in a very elegant manner (so far anyway.), it's fucking light years ahead of Divine Gate.

I don't even know how you even can make a subject like that "elegant".

Abuse isn't supposed to be easy to watch, the fact is so horrible kind of hits the right notes. If you're saying you don't find it believable that's another story, but it's very much a reality that there are just evil people like that.

Abuse isn't supposed to be easy to watch, the fact is so horrible kind of hits the right notes. If you're saying you don't find it believable that's another story, but it's very much a reality that there are just evil people like that.

Oh there are absolutely people like the parents in ERASED. The depiction of abuse was believable.

That said, giving them glowing red eyes was a bit much. I think such things should be handled with a bit more tact.

Oh there are absolutely people like the parents in ERASED. The depiction of abuse was believable.

That said, giving them glowing red eyes was a bit much.

Ah, the glowing red eyes is a bit too much, not sure if it was a decision by the director to give evil people red eyes during certain scenes (alongside non-evil others). But it's not like it hasn't been done in anime before, it's just beating you over the head with it.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
So is the Steins;Gate anime as good as it looks by the MAL score?
Never played the VN or watched the anime and thinking about watching it.

You always talk bad about my shows :(

I dont think Divine Gate can be compared with ERASED in that manner. Aoto was still cared for never hurt or anything, meanwhile she is in a more unfortunate saddening situation of confused parenting and probably some other things going on. Aoto is able to escape or change his situation, she can not.

Exalted

And I'm not even sure what thread you reading with all of these source material spoilers because it isn't this one. Show specific threads are a hundred times worse when it comes to that.
Well people don't actually post any real story spoilers , but they do post a lot of hints and not even realize they are spoilers. Just telling or hinting that an specific story or characters will get resolved or get more time in the future is in fact a spoiler. Even telling that the story will get more action heavy later or more chill, or that the story will get worse later, still spoils you, in some way even without actually knowing the story, you still know what to expect. For example manga people have already posted tons of hints in this thread about Attack on Titan second season , and how it is different from the first.

you might get different opinions in here as some in here hold a pretty high standard as to what they consider good.

But as far as I'm concerned by all means. It's popular, but that doesn't hold much these days I guess. It starts out extremely slow and the sci-fi elements take a back seat to the slice of life aspects, but you reach a point it shifts radically both in type of show and in tone. Own it on blu-ray and absolutely love it. The movie is a bit unnecessary though.

I don't know if anyone here would recommend against watching it, they might just tell you it isn't as good as people make it sound online.

Well people don't actually post any real story spoilers , but they do post a lot of hints and not even realize they are spoilers. Just telling or hinting that an specific story or characters will get resolved or get more time in the future is in fact a spoiler. Even telling that the story will get more action heavy later or more chill, or that the story will get worse later, still spoils you, in some way even without actually knowing the story, you still know what to expect. For example manga people have already posted tons of hints in this thread about Attack on Titan second season , and how it is different from the first.

If you don't want to hear anything about the source material for a show you are watching, you need to get off places for discussion online.

wonzo

Banned
"hmn yas, i wonder what a collective of love live obsessed neo-nazis & peeps who think weeaboo is a racial slur haveto say in this animes"

think.gif

Russ T

Banned
you might get different opinions in here as some in here hold a pretty high standard as to what they consider good.

But as far as I'm concerned by all means. It's popular, but that doesn't hold much these days I guess. It starts out extremely slow and the sci-fi elements take a back seat to the slice of life aspects, but you reach a point it shifts radically both in type of show and in tone. Own it on blu-ray and absolutely love it. The movie is a bit unnecessary though.

I don't know if anyone here would recommend against watching it, they might just tell you it isn't as good as people make it sound online.

I just recently watched it and I'd agree with everything here. Also the OVA is unnecessary.

There are parts I didn't like about it, but overall I thought it was really good.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
"I want Goemon" is a phrase I can never imagine being uttered around Lupin.

Qurupeke

It may not be perfect and it may have some things that will put off people like the fanservice or even the time travelling nature of the show, but yeah, the whole thing is extremely good. I find it impossible to think that someone can hate it. Woofington described it perfectly, everything is so calm at first and then you realize that the storm has come and it's becoming even better.

Time travelling is one of the trickiest genres but when it's done right, it can tell the greatest stories.

phaze

You sure you're not thinking of the ED? The OP features present day characters such as elderly Yakumo and Konatsu.

Yet completely avoids Yotarou. With the inclusion of what I (shot in the dark) I'll here willfuly assume might to be Konatsu's mother and perhaps the starting point of a love triangle, even with the inclusion of her daughter this is a very past focused opening.

I'll shut up now and watch the episode.

Sterok

Pandora 3

Takumi is one evil aunt. Nene actually acts kind of cool this time. The Incompetents sort of luck out, and bunny girl succeeds in her mission for once. Good for her.

That said, giving them glowing red eyes was a bit much. I think such things should be handled with a bit more tact.

Perhaps, given the general realism of the story (aside from the time travel that the story is based around), the red eyes is simply indicative of the perception that our protagonist has about these characters. "Eyes are the window to the soul" and all that. I haven't thought about it much to be honest, since it didn't really take away from my immersion.

I enjoyed it, for all it matters. :p Slow to start, quick to finish. Never watched the OVAs or anything past the main series though.

Dimension W ED has my heart as far as the music goes.

Erased ED looks the best of all the OP/EDs.

The two songs for Erased are a little sucky imo. ED song goes nowhere and OP doesn't really match the tone of the show.

I don't think I would say they were bad. The OP song is pretty good by itself, if it doesn't suit the tone of the anime musically - lyrically, it's pretty fitting. The ED is really good though, especially the transition from the slower, more melancholic tone to the excited singing of the second half. Especially the shift in tone on "mamoritai" which is the transitive of "mamoru". So basically, the song escalates and resolves itself when the singer realizes he "wants to protect". It's pretty solid, in my opinion.

Edit: I guess it could translate to "want to save" as well.

Edit 2: Jesus Christ, sometimes I sound like a fucking nerd.

The two songs for Erased are a little sucky imo. ED song goes nowhere and OP doesn't really match the tone of the show.

Say what you want about the Opening but the lyrics for Re:Re by Asian Kung Fu Generation fits the show really well.

Heck the lyrics for the Ending fits the series as well.

Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu - 03

I'm liking the OP and ED and the episode itself was great. Maybe it's because he's such a Rakugo pro but Yakumo's narration and the story itself got me a bit emotional. Was quite happy to see the two other making it back in good health from war.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom