• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT| Celebrating the New Year and PSO2's release in the west!

Status
Not open for further replies.

sonicmj1

The anti-thriller sentiment is weird to me as well. The show has always played as a thriller to me. It's why I liked even the past stuff. It always had this mounting sense of dread to me.

I thought the past had a nice mounting sense of dread because you really didn't know exactly how things would play out, or where any kind of threat might come from.

In the present there's some dude in a suit with red eyes and a fedora running around tailing and stabbing people and setting fires based on plans hatched within 24 hours, and every time he's around the direction makes sure to highlight him in the most obvious way possible.

I'm not going to act like the show's ruined. The tone's kinda like... mid-season Parasyte? It just feels like a step down from what was happening earlier.

Shirayuki-hime S2 ep.5
So yeah,
double kidnapping
, wtf. I still like the show, but damn, this is like the 4th & 5th time now. Zen better get over there and start beating some pirate ass.

My thing is that I liked Shirayuki because she was a strong female lead. Now she just seems to helpless, waiting for prince charming Zen to save the day. Which is fine I guess since this is a Shoujo, but again, not why I liked the show last season.

Also the whole Obi x Shirayuki thing needs to stop.

ibyea

Banned
Heh, I think Death Notes is pretty good the first half but then it overstays its welcome. The finale was really good though, the only great episode of the second half. I just wish Light's death was done more similar to the manga. They are similar but the way it's presented give each of those ending very different vibes.

I thought the past had a nice mounting sense of dread because you really didn't know exactly how things would play out, or where any kind of threat might come from.

In the present there's some dude in a suit with red eyes and a fedora running around tailing and stabbing people and setting fires based on plans hatched within 24 hours, and every time he's around the direction makes sure to highlight him in the most obvious way possible.

I'm not going to act like the show's ruined. The tone's kinda like... mid-season Parasyte? It just feels like a step down from what was happening earlier.

This is pretty much how I feel.

The thriller bits are mediocre at best. The character 'drama', if you want to call it that, in episodes 2 to 4 was on point in both writing and direction.

yami4ct

No, I totally get that. There are problems with the thriller aspects in the future that definitely hold that part back.

I'm more talking about people who never wanted Erased to be a thriller at all or didn't think it was before these last couple episodes. It always was a thriller. The past is just more effective at it.

Cornbread78

My thing is that I liked Shirayuki because she was a strong female lead. Now she just seems to helpless, waiting for prince charming Zen to save the day. Which is fine I guess since this is a Shoujo, but again, not why I liked the show last season.

Also the whole Obi x Shirayuki thing needs to stop.

Unfortunately, they aren't going to stop the reverse harem stuff anytime soon, lol. I just gate the forced drama with the kidnapping crap, c'Mon writer come up with some different at least, lol.

No, I totally get that. There are problems with the thriller aspects in the future that definitely hold that part back.

I'm more talking about people who never wanted Erased to be a thriller at all or didn't think it was before these last couple episodes. It always was a thriller. The past is just more effective at it.

Honestly I've just given up.

No point in trying to figure it out.

yami4ct

This is as bad as the guy who wanted an SMT: Nocturne anime.

You'd have to pick a canon run, but you absolutely could do a Nocturne anime. It wouldn't be the best choice by a longshot, but if the fight animation was good you could make a good moody action show.

I don't think it's even possible to do a Souls anime. There's literally nothing there to adapt. It's all lore and almost no story.

Hunter X Hunter (1999) 7

P2FGk6W.jpg

dl2flVR.jpg

Zf71hXv.jpg

VHydooz.jpg

This is so much better than the 2011 adaptation. The atmosphere in this episode, and the way it delved into characters' psyches, was superb.

I miss HxH.

I don't because Togashi doesn't give a shit about his own series. Also fuck you Dragon Quest.

It's pretty sad to see authors like Hoshino Katsura still write D.Gray-Man even with a chronic wrist injury while Togashi is still being a lazy fuck. Don't even understand why he introduced the Dark Continent when he wasn't even going to continue the story. Should of ended the story right after the Elections instead of just having his fans suffer.

That's such a strange example to bring up in the context of Dark Souls.

In the way that Angel's Egg is 90% pretty looking environments it was the best example off the top of my head.

I don't because Togashi doesn't give a shit about his own series. Also fuck you Dragon Quest.

It's pretty sad to see authors like Hoshino Katsura still write D.Gray-Man even with a chronic wrist injury while Togashi is still being a lazy fuck. Don't even understand why he introduced the Dark Continent when he wasn't even going to continue the story. Should of ended the story right after the Elections.

The Dragon Quest meme is something I can't believe people actually buy into, nor can I believe that anyone would consider a mangaka lazy.

I feel like I should watch the 1999 version, but....I don't know.

Everything about the 2011 version just clicked with me. I liked the super upbeat and adventurous tone in the beginning. It really made the latter stuff in the Phantom Troupe and Chimera Ant arcs more meaningful to me once things really got dark.

Everything I've seen about the 1999 version so far makes it seem like all the latter stuff is largely present in the beginning, and I feel like it doesn't work as well that way.

Also, the 1999 version doesn't have the 2011 OST, which I loved.

ibyea

Banned

Yeah these things needed some gentler touch and unfortunately we didn't get that.

yami4ct

I miss HxH.

I've read so many full runs of manga in the time Togashi's been in his latest hiatus. Caught up on My Hero Academy, Started and Caught up on Shokugeki no Soma, read all of Berserk, read all of the original Tokyo Ghoul run, read all of Monster, read most of 20th Century Boys, read up to current on Assassination Classroom, just started reading Liar Game.

How has it been this long? Come on Togashi. Come back and save us.

It's pretty sad to see authors like Hoshino Katsura still write D.Gray-Man even with a chronic wrist injury while Togashi is still being a lazy fuck. Don't even understand why he introduced the Dark Continent when he wasn't even going to continue the story. Should of ended the story right after the Elections instead of just having his fans suffer.

I would have been more pissed if it had ended at elections. That would mean Yorkshin would be where the Phantom Troupe plotline would have concluded, which would have been unsatisfying bullshit. Even worse now that we know exactly what they did to the Kurta.

yami4ct

We've seen longer hiatuses. I'm fully confident we'll see it back eventually. Probably (maybe) even this year. New arc is shaping up well too.

If we have to suffer through these breaks for Togashi to do his work, so be it. Hunter x Hunter is worth the wait. I just hope he can get these breaks shortened and publish a bit more at a time. Either that or publish a set amount of issues before going on a set planned hiatus.

I don't want to do anything with the Hunter x Hunter franchise till it's finished.

As I've grown older, I find myself more and more annoyed with series that consistently leave me waiting.

Though, I guess I would watch Hunter x Hunter if it came to Toonami.

Honestly the way Madhouse animated and designed HxH reminds me in the way Studio Pierrot designed the characters and the Kagunes for Tokyo Ghoul. Like when I read the manga I thought the Kagunes would look organic and colored like an actual organ, not look like some fluorescent eel. I imagined an art style and a atmosphere in the veins of Monster or something. Everything seemed too bright and colorful.

From what I've seen of the 1999 version of HxH it seems more realistic and grounded in terms of design and artstyle which fits the type of story the series tells. The MadHouse version seems too bright and wacky.

Moaradin

Honestly the way Madhouse animated and designed HxH reminds me in the way Studio Pierrot designed the characters and the Kagunes for Tokyo Ghoul. Like when I read the manga I thought the Kagunes would look organic and colored like an actual organ, not look like some fluorescent eel. I imagined an art style and a atmosphere in the veins of Monster or something. Everything seemed too bright and colorful.

From what I've seen of the 1999 version of HxH it seems more realistic and grounded in terms of design and artstyle which fits the type of story the series tells. The MadHouse version seems too bright and wacky.

Entirely depends on the arc

yami4ct

In terms of what I thought of when I read HxH, Madhouse captured it perfectly. Their rendition of Greed Island I think fit especially well.

For me, a large part of Hunter x Hunter is a contrast between kind of over the top and almost childish art with a pretty dark narrative.

zulux21

We've seen longer hiatuses. I'm fully confident we'll see it back eventually. Probably (maybe) even this year. New arc is shaping up well too.

If we have to suffer through these breaks for Togashi to do his work, so be it. Hunter x Hunter is worth the wait. I just hope he can get these breaks shortened and publish a bit more at a time. Either that or publish a set amount of issues before going on a set planned hiatus.

I'm with you, we will see it come back this year...
for exactly 1 chapter before it goes back on hiatus for the rest of the year >.<;

You'd have to pick a canon run, but you absolutely could do a Nocturne anime. It wouldn't be the best choice by a longshot, but if the fight animation was good you could make a good moody action show.

I don't think it's even possible to do a Souls anime. There's literally nothing there to adapt. It's all lore and almost no story.

Nocturne has pretty much no plot. It's just you wandering around a wasteland, and occasionally you run into characters who quickly become Law/Chaos mouthpieces. I guess you could call up Yamauchi and have him do some Casshern Sins sort of thing, and maybe you'd get something worthwhile out of it.

I feel like I should watch the 1999 version, but....I don't know.

Everything about the 2011 version just clicked with me. I liked the super upbeat and adventurous tone in the beginning. It really made the latter stuff in the Phantom Troupe and Chimera Ant arcs more meaningful to me once things really got dark.

Everything I've seen about the 1999 version so far makes it seem like all the latter stuff is largely present in the beginning, and I feel like it doesn't work as well that way.

Also, the 1999 version doesn't have the 2011 OST, which I loved.

The 2011 version of Hunter X Hunter is a competent adventure show, but it misses a lot of the rich character depth and emotional atmosphere that the 1999 version brings to the table. I only got up to midway through Heaven's Arena in the 2011 anime, and I know people say it gets better in Yorkshin and beyond, but I don't think anyone who cares about Hunter X Hunter should miss out on even just the first episode of the 1999 anime.

I don't want to do anything with the Hunter x Hunter franchise till it's finished.

As I've grown older, I find myself more and more annoyed with series that consistently leave me waiting.

You could just watch either anime version of Hunter X Hunter and leave it at that; I don't think there are really big plot threads left dangling if you end with Yorkshin in 1999 or the Election Arc in 2011. This doesn't seem to be a series like One Piece, where there's one goal (getting the One Piece) that's presented from the beginning and it'll never get there until the very end, if it ever ends.

Anyway, I'm good enough if I can get enjoyment and worthwhile art/entertainment from even an incomplete story. I don't need total closure for everything to be satisfied.

One of my favorite Mangakas Hoshino Katsura came back from a 3 year hiatus. D.Gray-Man is finally being released again so HxH being in hiatus has been long forgotten.

So jokes on you, HxH can stay in hiatus for eternity along with Togashi for all I care. I'm not going to be stuck waiting for HxH to finally come back.

yami4ct

I'm with you, we will see it come back this year...
for exactly 1 chapter before it goes back on hiatus for the rest of the year >.<;

He's going to give us just enough to get us super pumped for the new arc and then cut it off. I'm thinking between 8-12 chapters.

One of my favorite Mangakas Hoshino Katsura came back from a 3 year hiatus. D.Gray-Man is finally being released again so HxH being in hiatus has been long forgotten.

So jokes on you, HxH can stay in hiatus for eternity along with Togashi for all I care. I'm not going to be stuck waiting for HxH to finally come back.

Talking hiatuses, I'm shocked that Beet the Vandal Buster came back. I love Riku Sanjo's tokusatsu work, so maybe I should finally check that out. I read a volume or two way back when and it seemed neat.

In the sense that it feels like the story has been cut off midway through and the whole thing is pointless without a continuation?

Somewhat, but not as much as you would expect. Every plotthread was pointing towards one location that would likely be the finale
Meteor City
but we probably won't ever get that.

And yes, most character arcs aren't fully finished. Mainly Kurapika.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
I'm glad we're talking about the best anime ever made, Hunter x Hunter (2011). The soundtrack, the story, and the animation is incredible. However the 1999 version is pretty good and I'd consider it supplemental material for 2011, since it definitely covers events that either don't occur in 2011 or from a different angle.

However, I think this is the same deal as FMA and FMA:B, both versions are so good by their own right, that you identity/prefer whichever one you watched first.

Togashi, please don't die without finishing your magnum opus.

yami4ct

In the sense that it feels like the story has been cut off midway through and the whole thing is pointless without a continuation?

Kurapika as a character is completely unfulfilled. The election arc just began to build a true Killua and Gon rivalry. There are huge threads that need to be tied up.

Not in the same way One Piece would be if it just stopped, but yes.

The election arc is fine as a stopping point in the same way exiting East Blue and arriving in the Grand Line in One Piece would be a good stopping point.

Quasar

Erased 6 - Still the new show I'm enjoying most. Am wondering though how it can be concluded in 6 episodes in a way I'd be happy with. Maybe I should read the manga.

I'm glad we're talking about the best anime ever made, Hunter x Hunter (2011). The soundtrack, the story, and the animation is incredible. However the 1999 version is pretty good and I'd consider it supplemental material for 2011, since it definitely covers events that either don't occur in 2011 or from a different angle.

However, I think this is the same deal as FMA and FMA:B, both versions are so good by their own right, that you identity/prefer whichever one you watched first.

I don't know; I watched 2011 first, and after being told that 1999 was better, I went back to watch 1999 and agree that that is superior.

Not in the same way One Piece would be if it just stopped, but yes.

The election arc is fine as a stopping point in the same way exiting East Blue and arriving in the Grand Line in One Piece would be a good stopping point.

I should clarify that when I am thinking of a story cut off in the middle, I'm thinking of something like the end of the Akagi anime, which is really ridiculous in how it just stops. I wasn't implying that Hunter X Hunter had no hooks or threads left to carry on.

I should clarify that when I am thinking of a story cut off in the middle, I'm thinking of something like the end of the Akagi anime, which is really ridiculous in how it just stops. I wasn't implying that Hunter X Hunter had no hooks or threads left to carry on.

Oh no, it doesn't end like Akagi does mid breath. The election arc is an acceptable stopping point because it at least feels like a goal was reached.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom