• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT| Celebrating the New Year and PSO2's release in the west!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Narag

I'm on episode 5 of dog and scissors...

I didn't think it was possible for a terrible show to jump the shark but... here it does.

Jeez...

uAHzCyAl.png

Mr. Nietzsche in the Convenience Store Episode 3
CbBRN--WEAQZCcq.png
CbBRONdWEAQLV-S.png

The whole cast is perfect. Nii-san and German man scene was hilarious (Matsu's face was hilarious).

Then the girl who is still so obviously in love with Nietzsche-san. I was alling over when she was trying to make it seem like she wasn't doing anything lewd (wanting him to join her in bed every night so she leaves the door open). lol
CbBUJ58W8AAxRLX.png
CbBUJzsXIAAyLtN.png

So, where does one start with JoJo? JoJo's Bizarre Adventure is the first?

edit: Ah...that one on MAL that's well rated is actually from 2012. But is that still the better starting point?

edit: Ah...that one on MAL that's well rated is actually from 2012. But is that still the better starting point?

Just follow this order

1. http://myanimelist.net/anime/14719/JoJo_no_Kimyou_na_Bouken_TV?q=jojo (Features Part 1 and 2)

2. http://myanimelist.net/anime/20899/JoJo_no_Kimyou_na_Bouken__Stardust_Crusaders (First half of Part 3)

3.http://myanimelist.net/anime/26055/JoJo_no_Kimyou_na_Bouken__Stardust_Crusaders_2nd_Season (Conclusion of Part 3)

Shoujo-tachi wa Kouya wo Mezasu: 6

Well it was cool that Andou finally began to apologize. Yuuka drama is coming. Not much else to take from this episode.

Bunta's buddy was comedic gold this episode, 10/10

sonicmj1

Start with the 2012 TV series and go from there. It's all good.

After you're done with Stardust Crusaders, you can go back and watch the 90s OVAs.

blurr

BokuMachi 06

Wow, very good episode. The switch from an atmospheric and heartwarming story to a thriller is IMO reasonable, the first episode gave me enough thriller vibes that I figured I wouldn't like it as much but the later episodes showed a different side making it completely worth my time and it was within reason.

"Revival" is essentially a plot device - I think of plot devices to be a trade off to tell something very interesting, if the show relies on it too much I'm usually turned off. BokuMachi has so far offered a lot making effective use of it, I laud it for that.

The switch to thriller from a heart warming story is definitely kind of jarring, its transition could've been handled better but it was nonetheless foreboding.

Hey, that's just what I think :)

Cornbread78

Omphde1.png
or
uvyDWYJ.jpg

Alright, which one? Also, does anyone know how to save the Kazuma image as a jpg instead of a png? I can't use a png file as an avi...

BokuMachi 06

Wow, very good episode. The switch from an atmospheric and heartwarming story to a thriller is IMO reasonable, the first episode gave me enough thriller vibes that I figured I wouldn't like it as much but the later episodes showed a different side making it completely worth my time and it was within reason.

"Revival" is essentially a plot device - I think of plot devices to be a trade off to tell something very interesting, if the show relies on it too much I'm usually turned off. BokuMachi has so far offered a lot making effective use of it, I laud it for that.

The switch to thriller from a heart warming story is definitely kind of jarring, its transition could've been handled better but it was nonetheless foreboding.

Hey, that's just what I think :)

I'm just wondering why people were surprised at the show being a thriller. After the end of episode one, I dont know what else it was supposed to be.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Erased 06
If this series is a "thriller" it sure does not do very much to excite. A house is on fire? Characters just run in and out of it and maneuver around it without any serious issues. They don't even make an attempt to make a situation like this feel life threatening. These scenes feel like delivery mechanisms for clues that lack context, and they just sort of pile up and up. We get a list of suspects we don't know and it's just like..."kill me now"... Who are these people? What is finding a list like this even supposed to mean? It would be one thing if it was used as a roadmap for investigation, but instead it's just another worthless piece of information to be tossed at the audience. This does not mean that the clue itself holds no value to the eventual outcome, but what is the audience supposed to do with any of this?

I don't actually think this is a "thriller". It's not really offering any drama or human connection either. Right now it's just building up some stupid mystery that's obscured just enough for the show to do whatever it wants, and setting up arbitrary rules for how the fictional world works. For as much as it deals in clues though the show stretches too far to invest in the mystery. Some guy runs into a burning house to save someone with loads of witnesses, but he is still identified as the arson. Lording this mystery identity of the killer over the audience is destroying this show.

I know it isn't it, but your avatar just keeps reminding me of Kaito Kid whenever I look at it.

356px-Kid_After.jpg

Definitely yeah. Pretty sure that was kind of the look that KyoAni went with when they made this ED

I change it up once in awhile just because. I might go back to Kirito next, you never know, lol.

I actually like that Aishiteruze Baby one as well though...

I used to do the same until I whipped this one up, I keep them all stored in a folder too. Haven't been able to find anything that I can edit in a way that it'll top this one.

Qurupeke

Golden Time [END]

I'm kind of conflicted about this. The first half of it was really good. Fun with small doses of drama, but it was mostly a love story. Around the second half, they really did go overboard with the melodrama. The last few episodes were terrible, so much unnecessary drama and so many things would be different if Tada Banri actually talked to someone and treated his condition. This was just stupid beyond belief. I expected the whole ghost thing to be the worst part of the show, but they managed to turn the amnesia to a new kind of mental disorder. If someone suffers from that kind of panic attacks and forgets things like his whole identity, he should have some kind of treatment and he shouldn't be allowed to wander that freely. I couldn't believe people were seeing what Tada Banri was doing and were that apathetic. The ghost is more believable than this. And while Linda's decision to abandon Banri after the bridge accident is still the most dumb action in the series, Koko (and essentially everyone) abandoned him in the end, to "start his new life". Yeah, that was a great way to cause more drama, because that was what the series lacked...Okay, it wasn't really terrible, but actually I expected it to be better. It had the potential to be a lot more enjoyable, but the amnesia plot overstayed its welcome. If the series was shorter, maybe they'd handle it better, dunno.The ending was good but this was more because I actually expected they'll end the series with Banri forgetting everything, it wouldn't really surprise me. Anyway... Koko and Banri are together in the end, so all it good. And if I'm not mistaken, they also hinted Linda and Mitsuo and not Okachinami and Mitsuo, so all is fine.

When the show was enjoyable, it did a really good job though. It tackled things other than just romance, like friends and university life. The portrayal of uni was the main reason I watched this and, at least, before the final drama, it did show many aspects of it, like looking for a house, a job, a car, attending lectures and partying. It even has an accurate portrayal of a second semester lecture! Also, I loved the characters, even Linda. More mature than an average student but still making dumb decisions like a young adult. I like that they actually talked about this and the characters did think about their dumb actions. All of them were really good and they didn't rely on usual anime cliches, but they were actually kind of relatable. And Koko was certainly the best character, just for her crazy behavior, even though this was mostly in the first half.

Oh, and I was expecting a DTL ending at this part.

JulianImp

I have a couple different Kaiki avatars around, but I've seen that people swapping avatars often makes it harder to actually tell it's them, so I decided to stick with this one for a while.

tuffy

Golden Time [END]

I expected the whole ghost thing to be the worst part of the show, but they managed to turn the amnesia to a new kind of mental disorder. If someone suffers from that kind of panic attacks and forgets things like his whole identity, he should have some kind of treatment and he shouldn't be allowed to wander that freely. I couldn't believe people were seeing what Tada Banri was doing and were that apathetic. The ghost is more believable than this.
The ghost thing is pretty silly, but at least it felt like some sort of antagonist. Once it stopped showing up, Banri kept on having memory loss episodes seemingly because the plot needed him to. And every time he'd have an episode and started wailing for Linda like some 5 year old lost at the mall, I wanted to smack him.
And while Linda's decision to abandon Banri after the bridge accident is still the most dumb action in the series
I don't think Linda wanted to be with him all that much from the start, and that stayed consistent right through the end of the series.

She didn't give him an answer to his confession right away. She showed up late to the bridge the next day. She didn't make an effort to re-forge any sort of relationship with him after he splattered his brains all over the rocks. She didn't explain their shared history when they first ran into each other by accident in college. She tore up the photograph. She didn't even bother to advance their relationship later once his old memories came back. So the odds of those two getting together stayed pretty much zero.

blurr

Erased 06

If this series is a "thriller" it sure does not do very much to excite. A house is on fire? Characters just run in and out of it and maneuver around it without any serious issues. They don't even make an attempt to make a situation like this feel life threatening. These scenes feel like delivery mechanisms for clues that lack context, and they just sort of pile up and up. We get a list of suspects we don't know and it's just like..."kill me now"... Who are these people? What is finding a list like this even supposed to mean? It would be one thing if it was used as a roadmap for investigation, but instead it's just another worthless piece of information to be tossed at the audience. This does not mean that the clue itself holds no value to the eventual outcome, but what is the audience supposed to do with any of this?

I don't actually think this is a "thriller". It's not really offering any drama or human connection either. Right now it's just building up some stupid mystery that's obscured just enough for the show to do whatever it wants, and setting up arbitrary rules for how the fictional world works. For as much as it deals in clues though the show stretches too far to invest in the mystery. Some guy runs into a burning house to save someone with loads of witnesses, but he is still identified as the arson. Lording this mystery identity of the killer over the audience is destroying this show.

The thriller aspect is in identifying a clue that points towards who the suspect is(in his present time). How he catches him using that clue rests on his "revival" ability, at least I'm assuming it will happen again, it wouldn't be much of a thriller if it weren't for that.

Drama and human connection did happen in episodes 2-4. I could really connect with Satoru throughout those episodes and it did have some intense moments, well executed.

I do agree with you on how information was presented though, it all feels a tad convoluted. They tried to pull off a Hyouka-style 'crime recreation animation' in one scene this episode but it had little significance.

Narag

Spring is pretty stacked. I know it's two months or so out but I expect there to be a ton of OTs for individual shows. People might want to figure stuff out early vs slapping stuff something together last minute.

Qurupeke

I don't think Linda wanted to be with him all that much from the start, and that stayed consistent right through the end of the series.

She didn't give him an answer to his confession right away. She showed up late to the bridge the next day. She didn't make an effort to re-forge any sort of relationship with him after he splattered his brains all over the rocks. She didn't explain their shared history when they first ran into each other by accident in college. She tore up the photograph. She didn't even bother to advance their relationship later once his old memories came back. So the odds of those two getting together stayed pretty much zero.

That's what I understand too. Still, she didn't abandon him just as a love interest, but completely. She seemed to care about his as a friend though, but did she really care at all about him? She left him after having lost his memory and she casually had a new start while he lost a year of his life and obviously had insecurities about his self before the accident. She obviously couldn't stop her life for him and stay at their town forever, but completely ignoring him and playing the stranger, was dumb. I get that she felt guilty, but she was supposed to be a close friend.

JulianImp

I just remembered how nice AnoHana's OST was. I always like it when a song transports me to whatever situations it was originally used in.

Also, while I didn't hear too many good things from you guys I'd say that the show, as manipulative as it might've been, worked way better for me than other similar shows that tried to make me cry but couldn't, like Angel Beats.

Also, while I didn't hear too many good things from you guys I'd say that the show, as manipulative as it might've been, worked way better for me than other similar shows that tried to make me cry but couldn't, like Angel Beats.

I'm one of the few here who liked it too!

Narag

I'm not. Superhero movies are hot these days. This one has the fact that it's a comedy and it's R rated which makes folks want to check it out. The marketing for it has been on point too.

It's more the fanbase will turn out on Thursday and Friday. Big drops on Sat/Sun won't bode well for it.

JulianImp

I avoided AnoHana after a friend I trust advised on giving it a miss. I liked Angel Beats. I didn't cry though.

I agree that the show certainly forces dramatic situations, but said drama actually made me cry several times throughout the show. I'd probably rank it way higher than Angel Beats, mostly because it takes the time to develop all its cast rather than having most of them be one-note and just disappear for the finale without any conclussion to their (obviously non-existant) character arcs.

I just remembered how nice AnoHana's OST was. I always like it when a song transports me to whatever situations it was originally used in.

At least Ano Hana looks good.

blurr

I agree that the show certainly forces dramatic situations, but said drama actually made me cry several times throughout the show. I'd probably rank it way higher than Angel Beats, mostly because it takes the time to develop all its cast rather than having most of them be one-note and just disappear for the finale without any conclussion to their (obviously non-existant) character arcs.

I actually dropped Plastic Memories over similar reasons, saw 5 episodes. I almost never do that.

It's more the fanbase will turn out on Thursday and Friday. Big drops on Sat/Sun won't bode well for it.

Considering how strong the marketing has been so far I don't think there will be big drops. Plus from what I hear there are a bunch of kids watching it even though it's rated R. Just shows that anything labeled as superhero will catch on.

Also this is coming from a person who thought Deadpool wouldn't have a pull compared to other superheroes.

JulianImp

I actually dropped Plastic Memories over similar reasons, saw 5 episodes. I almost never do that.

You mean over overblown melodrama? Still, I'd suggest that you give AnoHana a chance.

And if you do, please disregard how a little girl sits on a boy's lap and innocently moves around until he passes out in the first episode, since happily the show drops that kind of preposterous fanservice after that one time at the start (I seriously felt like dropping the show after that one scene). Also, I don't remember it doing slapstick for the most part, which is great in my book since I hate when a show feels like it has shown its audience too much drama and tries to divert their attention with a stupid gag or fanservice.

The OST is actually quite good, and it sounds like it would feel really at home in a visual novel with good production values.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom